• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackermanz does it again. Biggest US pipeline hacked by the DarkSide.

CloudNull

Banned
Final final update:

final update:

They paid the ransom.

Apparently the pipeline has been shut down since Friday after being hacked with ransomware from the DarkSide group.

Edit:

Currently many states on the east coast are apparently out of gas. There are people hoarding the gas causing national emergencies in many states. At least that what is being shown and it is currently going viral.

Last edited:

Xyrmellon

This was a delibrate attack on the infrastructure of the U.S. If they can track down who did it they need to be arrested if U.S. citizens, and if they're foreign nationals they need to be killed. If they're in a friendly country do it quietly but they need to be made an example of.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What was the proof it was Russia last time? I remember the CIA said it was Russia, but not much came out of it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This was a delibrate attack on the infrastructure of the U.S. If they can track down who did it they need to be arrested if U.S. citizens, and if they're foreign nationals they need to be killed. If they're in a friendly country do it quietly but they need to be made an example of.
A brief increase in gas prices isn’t worth a human life.

where does the internet find these people.

CloudNull

Banned
The fact that we don’t know more information about this hack does make me think this could be a foreign bad actor. The media seems to be mostly silent.

I hope I’m wrong and it’s some dumb kids trying to get some money.

JSoup

Banned

May I remind you that this happened in "current year"?
They won't do shit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The company itself got some ransomeware.. not effecting the infrastructure.

We have no clue if this was even targeted, but the "attack on infrastructure" story sells I guess.

CloudNull

Banned

Not trying to get political just updating the thread as more news is discovered about it.

Very unusual that CISA doesn't know anything about the hack yet. I wonder if people thought the hack was much less intrusive than it really was.

Apparently the pipeline has been shut down since Friday after being hacked with ransomware from the DarkSide group.

Edit:

Currently many states on the east coast are apparently out of gas. There are people hoarding the gas causing national emergencies in many states. At least that what is being shown and it is currently going viral.

I guess they need to stock up on home supplies cause tubby and co. wouldn't make it far on foot or on the road.

Kev Kev

Arrested and charged, absolutely

but the rest of that is psycho talk. Calm down there buddy

Gas is scarce around me, TN and NC. There are massive lines everywhere when stations open (a lot of them have just been shutting off pumps in an attempt to ration and limit hoarding).

Thankfully I try to keep a rotation of 8 gal of fresh gas on hand, with stabilizer. I was able to almost fill my car last night. Hopefully I'll be good for a week or so.

The fact that we don’t know more information about this hack does make me think this could be a foreign bad actor. The media seems to be mostly silent.

I hope I’m wrong and it’s some dumb kids trying to get some money.

Makes me think it is China.

Last edited:
Gas is scarce around me, TN and NC. There are massive lines everywhere when stations open (a lot of them have just been shutting off pumps in an attempt to ratio and limit hoarding).

Thankfully I try to keep a rotation of 8 gal of fresh gas on hand, with stabilizer. I was able to almost fill my car last night. Hopefully I'll be good for a week or so.

Makes me think it is China.
Wasn't China caught up in some sort of cyber-attack testing (not the cell phone / Huawei thing)?

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Why is security so hard? Day one if you are in process control you learn "DCSs/PLCs are not connected to the Internet" and "Don't plug USB drives into process computers". It's so fucking easy.

BouncyFrag

They paid the ransom.

They also paid the ransom shortly after the attack took place. The southeast won’t be too pleased with that info.
Colonial Pipeline Co. paid nearly $5 million to Eastern European hackers on Friday, contradicting reports earlier this week that the company had no intention of paying an extortion fee to help restore the country’s largest fuel pipeline, according to two people familiar with the transaction.

The company paid the hefty ransom in difficult-to-trace cryptocurrency within hours after the attack, underscoring the immense pressure faced by the Georgia-based operator to get gasoline and jet fuel flowing again to major cities along the Eastern Seaboard, those people said. A third person familiar with the situation said U.S. government officials are aware that Colonial made the payment.

Once they received the payment, the hackers provided the operator with a decrypting tool to restore its disabled computer network. The tool was so slow that the company continued using its own backups to help restore the system, one of the people familiar with the company’s efforts said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom