• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunpla

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I love gunpla, it's such a satisfying hobby, and the kits just get better and better every year. i have a little workshop in my game room with an airbrush and workbench and I love taking my time and working on a really big kit over weeks.

I'm an old head, I started building Gunpla in the late 80s/early 90s when no one outside of the plastic modeling community even knew what Gundam was. None of the cartoons had been released in America at that point so to me, they were just the coolest plastic models available. I had been making model cars and planes prior to discovering them, but Gundams were on another level.

I stopped when I hit adulthood, like a lot of people do, and also like a lot of people I came back to many years later. I've been building models again for about 10 years now and probably about 75% of them are Gundams. Never watched the anime still.

Here's the last one I finished. I've been taking a break for the last few months and making resin statues instead (easier to sell), but I'm getting the itch for another Gundam soon.
krs75Vp.jpeg
e5aCmZB.jpeg

SF Kosmo

Been painting Warhammer minis and getting halfway decent at painting so might dig it up and make it look good if I get some time
Barely any techniques in common, though. Don't be afraid to put some failures under your belt, it's the only way to git gud.

It's funny how the plastic model community is made up of all these little sub-spheres that overlap a little but each have their own techniques, tools, and materials. These days they tend to even have totally separate hobby shops. Military models, trains, Warhammer/RP minis, gunpla, comic statues... They all SEEM similar but they're not really.

I'd consider myself very experienced at Gunpla, like I don't really make heavy heavy modifications or scratch build custom parts, but I can paint like a pro in any type of finish. It's like 95% airbrushing lacquers, decaling, and tape masking, and probably only touch a brush for small metallic frame details or whatever. But if you're painting Warhammer you might not do any of those things, it's like 95% brush painting.

But if you're good at one you can learn another faster than true beginners. When I started figure painting I took a couple months of experimenting, watching tutorials and painting dumb shit over and over. I wasn't good right away, I had to learn a lot more color theory and brush techniques. My early models were all too dark because acrylics dry darker and washes darken them further, things I never had to do with gunpla. But I got the hang of it pretty quick and I was able to jump right in to doing commissions. I got a 3D printer a couple months ago and it's becoming a side hustle.

So yeah, learn, fail, push yourself. Start on cheap High Grade kits. Not only are they a lower cost investment, they'll teach you a lot more about painting because they require a lot more work to look like the box. If you get good at making those cheap kits look nice, the bigger fancier kits are a breeze.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I love gunpla, it's such a satisfying hobby, and the kits just get better and better every year. i have a little workshop in my game room with an airbrush and workbench and I love taking my time and working on a really big kit over weeks.

I'm an old head, I started building Gunpla in the late 80s/early 90s when no one outside of the plastic modeling community even knew what Gundam was. None of the cartoons had been released in America at that point so to me, they were just the coolest plastic models available. I had been making model cars and planes prior to discovering them, but Gundams were on another level.

I stopped when I hit adulthood, like a lot of people do, and also like a lot of people I came back to many years later. I've been building models again for about 10 years now and probably about 75% of them are Gundams. Never watched the anime still.

Here's the last one I finished. I've been taking a break for the last few months and making resin statues instead (easier to sell), but I'm getting the itch for another Gundam soon.
krs75Vp.jpeg
e5aCmZB.jpeg
MGEX Strike Freedom? Nice work.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I got a model kit of DS9 when I was like ten and when I opened it and realized I needed an knife and glue and paint, I just closed the box and put it back in the closet…

I also had toys of the Enterprise D and E which I put on the BBQ grill so they looked like they had battle scars. Despite what this post may imply, I didn’t eat any glue

near

Gold Member
This looks so cool, and when I see finished models like this, it inspires me to get into the craft. The only thing holding me back is the idea of wanting to continually build new models and storing them once I've built them.

SF Kosmo

The only thing holding me back is the idea of wanting to continually build new models and storing them once I've built them.
Yeah don't be one of those guys who crams 100 Gundams into his room, they lose any impact at that point. We've all seen this kind of hoarding/collecting and I think it's antithetic to a hobby that should be about displaying your craftsmanship.

My approach is to dedicate a small vertical display case to them, and to have a one-in, one-out policy. If I want to put a new piece in, I have to take something out to make room. And since I'm always improving and getting better, it's usually pretty easy to find an old one that doesn't represent my current ability and get rid of it.

When I retire then I usually just give them away if they're nice or toss them if they're not. Occasionally they might go in ziplok bags in storage but usually I just try not to be precious about it and move on. Let go of any impulse that these things should be permanent. They're fun to build and it feels good to display your work, but eventually they don't really represent your best anymore so why keep them?

SF Kosmo

Went through an RG "phase" a few years back.
The engineering in those things is insane.
Nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours.
The RG line had gotten a lot better in recent years too in terms of engineering. There's a new 2.0 RG version of the RX-78-2 coming out soon and it just looks miles better than the original.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The RG line had gotten a lot better in recent years too in terms of engineering. There's a new 2.0 RG version of the RX-78-2 coming out soon and it just looks miles better than the original.
My first Gunpla was an RG Char Zaku II. I think it was like the 2nd one released. It looks great, but god damn is it fragile.

SF Kosmo

Never made gunpla, I do make 1/35 scale tank kits though.
I build a lot of non-Gundam plastic models too, especially sci-fi kits like space ships and the like. Not a lot of tanks, though I want to do a Metal Slug.

I do like watching tank modeling tutorials for tips on weathering though. Ma.K as well.

Porcile

What do you guys think is the most aesthetically pleasing Gundam is? For me, you can't get better than the Nu.

Victory/Victory 2 Gundam is slick. I do like unpainted dark blue Titans Mk II too though.

Zaku III from ZZ is cool if we are talking mobile suits in general. Wasn't given enough screen time.

I build a lot of non-Gundam plastic models too, especially sci-fi kits like space ships and the like. Not a lot of tanks, though I want to do a Metal Slug.

I do like watching tank modeling tutorials for tips on weathering though. Ma.K as well.

Tank and Aircraft scale modelers are absolute lunatics, it is where a lot of those crazy weathering and painting techniques come from. Stuff like hairspray for a chipping paint effect, madness... but christ it works well. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SF Kosmo

Tank and Aircraft scale modelers are absolute lunatics, it is where a lot of those crazy weathering and painting techniques come from. Stuff like hairspray for a chipping paint effect, madness... but christ it works well. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah, there's a funny thing with Gundams that the kits are so nice that a lot of people building them don't really put in the effort, but if you want to make a tank model, it's just going to be a lump of green plastic unless you really put some effort in.

I don't know if you've heard of Maschinen Krieger (Ma.K), it's a line of Japanese dieselpunk kits at 1/20 or 1/35 scale, and for whatever reason it attracts some amazing modelers, I love learning their techniques.

Pd6s9qN.jpeg

SJRB

Gold Member
gp2y6yp.jpeg

I built this bad boy last year. Had a lot of fun. Incredible amount of detail and engineering in such a small piece. The line work really brings it home, I can highly recommend anyone to do it to give it that final touch.

Also have a Master Grade Barbatos lying on the shelf, but that is a daunting task. Just opening the box and seeing the amount of sprues is overwhelming.

The model itself is cool as hell though.

bandai-gun58222-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-gunpla-mg-1-100-gundam-bar.jpg

SF Kosmo

gp2y6yp.jpeg

I built this bad boy last year. Had a lot of fun. Incredible amount of detail and engineering in such a small piece. The line work really brings it home, I can highly recommend anyone to do it to give it that final touch.

Also have a Master Grade Barbatos lying on the shelf, but that is a daunting task. Just opening the box and seeing the amount of sprues is overwhelming.

The model itself is cool as hell though.

bandai-gun58222-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-gunpla-mg-1-100-gundam-bar.jpg
Two of my absolute favorite kits right here.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What do you guys think is the most aesthetically pleasing Gundam is? For me, you can't get better than the Nu.

apvpUe6.jpeg

I mean it's a GM, but since this is a Gunpla topic I just extended this to "mobile suits"

People can do great, great things with this MG kit and some extra parts.

syvfJW9.jpeg

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Started a kit last night in my hotel room to gauge how I get along with the experience. HG Blue Astray, $7.

It’s fun, easy to get into a flow state. The kit is engineered well and the instructions are intuitive. Will try panel lining when it’s done.

eVgzBY9.jpeg
Get some top coat/dull coat on it once your panel lining and decals are on ..job done :)

I used the Mr Hobby dull coat but Tamiya do one as well. One can should be enough for a few kits. Makes a huge difference.

SF Kosmo

Get some top coat/dull coat on it once your panel lining and decals are on ..job done :)

I used the Mr Hobby dull coat but Tamiya do one as well. One can should be enough for a few kits. Makes a huge difference.
Mr. hobby makes a whole range but if I can recommend Mr. Super Smooth Clear Matt, that stuff is probably the most full proof for beginners (as long as you remember to shake the can lol), but it also preserves color really well. It's not quite as matte as some others but it's also less chalky.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mr. hobby makes a whole range but if I can recommend Mr. Super Smooth Clear Matt, that stuff is probably the most full proof for beginners (as long as you remember to shake the can lol), but it also preserves color really well. It's not quite as matte as some others but it's also less chalky.
Less than $5 a can in Japan, but looks like it's not legal to put in luggage or jpost, too bad.

Spyxos

I always wanted to have some.

acbe6c5a93b8470c8d407eb671d6e3e5lg.jpg

But in the end I only bought something like this. Because the real big sets were too expensive. And the delivery time was very long. If I remember correctly, the delivery costs were significantly more expensive than the set itself.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Tamiya TS-80 will do the job too. Just make sure (if spraying outdoors) that's it's a bright, clear and dry day otherwise the finish can get cloudy.

I always wanted to have some.

acbe6c5a93b8470c8d407eb671d6e3e5lg.jpg

But in the end I only bought something like this. Because the real big sets were too expensive. And the delivery time was very long. If I remember correctly, the delivery costs were significantly more expensive than the set itself.
Gundam Converge are fun. I got a few of them. Wish I could the Turn A one. 😢

By the way, this new MGSD line is pretty awesome. MG-level part separation at SD size.

Working on Freedom, have Barbatos in the backlog, and they announced a MGSD Wing Zero EW for later this year.

PXL_20240522_031249731.PORTRAIT.jpg

HLJ shipped my HGCE Mighty Strike Freedom out today, so that'll be my next kit after MGSD Freedom.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dirt cheap prices in Japan, but not much of interest is in stock. Stacks and stacks of HG Witch from Mercury kits though. Stores unload crates of them continuously to restock the shelves.

I did grab an MG Zaku II 2.0 and MG Epyon EW for $40 total, so that's pretty cool.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Everyone that start building at beginner level should consider doing flat top coats, panel lines, and waterslide decals; it is cheap and easy, and made your kits look much better.

Just a picture of random top coat before and after picture I stole from internet:

zEs1NXB.jpeg

Dirt cheap prices in Japan, but not much of interest is in stock. Stacks and stacks of HG Witch from Mercury kits though. Stores unload crates of them continuously to restock the shelves.

I did grab an MG Zaku II 2.0 and MG Epyon EW for $40 total, so that's pretty cool.

Witch from Mercury kits are actually pretty awesome, regardless of feelings about the series.

I've built Lfrith, Beguir-Beu, Aerial, Darilbalde, Pharact, Michealis, Lifrith Thorn, Lfrith Ur, Aerial Rebuild, Schwarzette, and Calibarn. They are some top-tier High Grade kits.

Most recently I did the P-Bandai upgrade set for Darilbalde/Pharact/Michaelis to give them their Season 2 look.

PXL_20240315_205439727.jpg

Gundam Schwarzette is probably my favorite kit from the series

PXL_20230827_071858513.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom