• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA San Andreas is kinda trash

Philfrag

Banned
It came out in 2004. Of course there are things in it that wouldn't have aged well. A lot of those era of GTA games are hard to play today. A lot of what Rockstar was trying to do back then was new for the industry both culturally and technically. So yeah, there's bound to be things about it that seem rough. Those who have contrarian view points really need to expand their vocabulary beyond using the word 'trash', Its very.....conventional.....conformist.....cringe

Sojiro

Personally, I love the the 80's theming of Vice City, so I prefer it to SA, but they are still both great games. I get saying going back after modern conveniences make the game harder to play, but its far from "trash" lol. I can't wait to see which beloved game that was made 15-20 years ago will be "trash" next :pie_eyeroll:, we are on a roll with this shit this week.

rushgore

This is the problem. End the thread.
You shouldnt have played that, and say the game is trash.

The old game is great, and was fun, compared to the trash that is the definitive edition.
Note that OP was only criticizing aspects of the game that are unchanged in the Definitive Edition like missions, map etc.

guy-throwing-trash-can-at-someone.gif
Lol, is this a clip from operation repo?

RagnarokIV

Amazing at the time. Loved it.

Replayed recently and got to the part where you need to level up your lungs before the game can continue. Dunked myself for 15 minutes then gave up, haven't got time for that crap anymore.

Woggleman

If they do another remake Rockstar themselves should do it or at least give to somebody who knows what they are doing. If nothing else borrow the people who made TLOU1 remake. Also buy back the licenses for the music.

RavageX

When it game out it was another milestone for the series. Can't deny that. Key word there is WHEN. Of course it won't hold up today. SOME games do still have that same charm, but for me most are never how I remember them to be. Sometimes its best for me to just remember instead of fire the old games up. I gave the remastered a try, and yeah...none of it grabs me.

Impotaku

One thing that isn’t trash is the radio stations in a lot of these. absolutely hilarious ads and talk shows and I listen to hours of it outside the games I have a Bluetooth speaker that plays stuff of an SD card so I have it all ripped onto it. Hours of fake radio that kind of sounds like real stations till you pay more attention listening.

Danknugz

san andreas was the last GTA that I felt vibed and played like GTA. IV and V did not meet my expectations and both pretty disappointing. just because you have tons of money and thousands of developers doesn't mean the end product will be actually good. in fact there's all kinds of other issues that present in that kind of scenario i would imagine.

gta6 looks ok but im not really looking forward or care about it.

Last edited:
I remember playing it when it first came out and being really let down by it. I finished it, but I've never had any desire to play it again.

San Andreas was the apex of the hood games targeting whites after Eminem took off. That whole time period was filled with them.

It is a game with poor execution, complaints about missions, bugs, and mechanics, many of which were incomplete if not just bad.

Even part of the story was cut.

But at that time it avoided all real scrutiny, and now there's so much nostalgia for the game by gaming journalists that grew with that game it's still hard to find real analysing of the games issues. It's also considered the representation of the PS2, being it's best selling game

Even then it is still the most entertaining of the GTA games, mostly because GTA was never a good action adventure game. People just liked the choice of running around driving over, or shooting random people on the street. SA was their best attempt at an engaging sp storyline.

There's a reason they pivoted to GTA online and put more effort in the campaign of Red Dead 2.

JPSLotus97T

Having played all the GTA3/VC/SA games at release, San Andreas was a fantastic game for it's time. While by GTA5 standards the world is small, it was huge in that era. I had a blast playing it. I'm so glad I was able to grab the PS2 versions on PSN awhile back since I think they were delisted in favor of the Definitive Trilogy. I have 2 copies of the Definitive Trilogy, but am playing the PS2 versions on the PS5. Sure the graphics are dated by this point in time and there's plenty of clunky gameplay in the games. But that trilogy was fantastic. Running down San Andreas is hilarious. It's a great game that still holds up.

come to think of it... guess i only like gta4.

vice city wasnt bad, but a large part was probably just the music.
never played san andreas, but it looks ok... not enough to pull me in though.

coffinbirth

Yeah, was going to post the same thing. I KNEW it looked to good to be a simple render. LOL to the guy that said HFW has models like this.
Unless I'm mistaken on the process he used, this is using actual photos. CN to remove background, IMG2IMG to diffuse and RV to add a filter. There would be no other reason I can tell to use CN for this otherwise.

"According to the user, he achieved this by using three AIs: ControlNet, Img2Img, and RealisticVision."

EDIT: Just noticed the other ones, lol. Yeah, some of those are straight up using AI to generate the image while others appear to be using AI as "filters".

Last edited:
ps2 vs x360/ps3 as a base platform, man, every gen back then meant huge improvements, i bet if it launched as crossgen like most of new games nowadays it wouldnt look/feel anywhere close as good(gta4)

Edit: For comparision ps2 gpu= 6,2 gflops vs ps3 gpu= 230 gflops so x37 jump in gpu power alone even if u dont count architectural improvements of all kinds.
ps4 gpu 1,84 tflops vs ps5 gpu= 10,2 tflops so only 5,54x jump =/
Hm, so we arent crazy. These leaps really are less substantial...and 4k 60 fps goals make it worse.

I blame the wii to be honest. Ever since nintendo gimped on tech advancements, everyone slowed down too

Pallas

Gold Member
GTA:SA was pretty ambitious for the series, you could actually swim and your characters body would change with how your diet was in game. You could literally make CJ have a heart attack. I find it still one of the best if not best GTA ever made.

Top Bottom