• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSD European video game and hardware sales for September 2023 - PS5#1 (+175%) NSW#2 (-25%) XBS#3 (-35%) | EA FC 24#1 Starfield#2 MK1#3

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ebl9cBk.jpg
NHKUzGJ.jpg
He's right though. With the way Xbox is going the cloud only app future seems imminent.

When a Bethesda game can't save your system you are kinda fucked here.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I wonder how everyone doing victory laps in the US thread are going to spin this. People are in there praising single digit % increases when the majority of them have been saying all year that starfield would crush playstation in September.
Literally the only reason I give a few of them shit! They made claims, then suddenly pretend that was never done, we're exaggerating, etc. There was an undeniable hype surrounding Starfield before launch. It's easier to just say — "yep, we hyped it, because we thought it would do better". All good! Instead? Steam is an Xbox platform, Starfield (on two platforms) outsold FFXVI so it has to be doing good (lest we forget the amount of shit they talked about this game), and it's clear that it was a system seller (this I give them a little credit, because it did move some systems).

Really, it's less disappointing for Xbox than it is for Bethesda (for me). I enjoyed what I played of Starfield, but it doesn't even come close to the amount of engagement I had with Oblivion, for example. That's not an Xbox problem. Bethesda has just lost their way.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's not an Xbox problem. Bethesda has just lost their way.
It is an Xbox problem.... Xbox has no eye for good games and talent. a better console platform would've seen this from a mile away and bought a better studio. How MS made the choice to buy bethesda after Fallout 76 is a wild one to me when they probably could have made their own RPG studio and got way better results.

Mowcno

I honestly think next gen is going to be the last time we see an xbox console
Unless things turn around in the next 3 years I don't even see that. At least not one with exclusive software. The worse your hardware business does and the better your software does the less sense it makes to limit your software to a part of your business that just isn't performing how it should be. Their biggest releases for the next 10 years (CoD) are going to be on PlayStation and Nintendo. How long before they decide that trying to sell consoles at the expense of their software sales just isn't worth it anymore. If Starfield isn't moving consoles then what will? And if exclusives aren't moving consoles then why make them exclusive?

If Xbox sales continue to fall in 2024 I can see Microsoft pivoting away from their console hardware even more than they already have. When they see the income they get from CoD on PlayStation how are they going to justify making Elderscrolls VI exclusive to their console hardware that is tanking. They'd be sacrificing money from software sales in an attempt to get hardware selling that isn't selling.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Jesus Christ at that Series console decline during Starfield's launch month.

'The second biggest game of the month was also a new IP in the form of Xbox's Starfield. It was a strong launch for the game, which was also available day and date on Game Pass. However, the game couldn't unseat Forza Horizon 5 as Xbox's biggest game launch this geneation. Starfield's first four weeks on sale are 13% below what Forza Horizon 5 managed.'

Wut?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It is an Xbox problem.... Xbox has no eye for good games and talent. a better console platform would've seen this from a mile away and bought a better studio. How MS made the choice to buy bethesda after Fallout 76 is a wild one to me when they probably could have made their own RPG studio and got way better results.
That's precisely why, in this instance, it isn't on Xbox that Starfield turned out like it did. Lest we forget the game was set to launch the year before, when it didn't have Xbox stamped on it. It would have been even worse. The development side of it rests in the laps of Todd and co.

No denying that Xbox has a cultural problem, though. And btw, Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda, they acquired Zenimax. They got much more out of that deal than Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

MS has always had a big problem with the console user in Europe. A large part is absolutely the roots of PlayStation, but no less important has been the treatment of the European user and the lack of interest in creating or strategies aimed at growing on the European continent.

In this generation with XSeries, this laziness and lack of motivation to improve has increased. Specific:

-Total nullity of marketing and advertising. There is simply no advertising for XSeries on TV, in the streets or at big events. PlayStation Is The opossite

-Console prices. 50 more than PS5, no renewal plan type campaign with XBO, lack of Stock in periods or bundles (there Is a no Starfield bundle)

-Absence of major releases over long periods of time and no association with 3rd successful franchises.

-Day one releases on PC, which is becoming the leading platform in many European territories and which definitely hits Xbox console sales.

It seems very evident that MS's strategy is not to lose money with the XSeries hardware and to bet on the software. He would rather sell "only" 45-50 million ww without losing money than 60-65 million losing money with large price reductions.

The fact is that the sales results are a reflection of MS's lack of success and little motivation to improve in Europe.

PS. Software in general on console in EU is in free fall. 40% for MK 1 is really tragic for the franchise. We will see in holidays if we have better situation.

Last edited:
Makes it look like Starfield decreased the console sales but I know that's not the case. Still very strange to see.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Ok.. yeah Xbox hardware is a disaster.

2022 had no releases. This year what should be Microsoft's biggest console exclusive in many years has just not moved many xbox's.

USA up less than 10% and EU DOWN 35% in Starfields launch month. Unbelievable.

The entire point of keeping games exclusive is to move hardware. At this point why bother?

Edit: I did put a bit in saying Xbox was only 16% down if we adjust for five Vs four weeks but no, they are already comparing the same four week period.
Hardware sales come if u got high quality games(especially exclusives), proof of that is switch sales, despite it being roughly as strong as 1/3rd of xbox one(2013 launch) it is still selling much better from xbox series, all coz of high quality exclusives, aka dev teams with talent/vision, exactly opposite to what happens with xbox series consoles- in the end talent always wins :)

Last edited:
MS really needs to buy SEGA since SEGA has a real expertise in going 1st to 3rd party. SEGA would really help MS to success this transition.

MS fanboys calling MS to buy SEGA are really inspire when you look at the numbers. MS is going 3rd party, it’s now a matter of tme.

Last edited:
Jesus…at this point are Series consoles even selling 10M units WW this year?
That is opposed to PS5 25M.

This is the 3rd year. With a big exclusive. And a console sku on sale constantly for less than 300€.

Why even make consoles at this point when people don’t care like this?

The Xbox hardware in a death spiral in Europe. But more concerning is the US market declining massively for them compared to last gen, as that is 60-70% of their worldwide sales iirc.

PeteBull

Sarcasm or not — nah. Leave SEGA alone.
Imagine next yakuza/like a dragon game in the series with all shit starfield is plagged with- loading screen every few seconds, ugly af npcs, all women ugly or super ugly, emphasis on having pronounc, nasty bugs, lifeless/souless areas that give u depression- would be super sad :p

If xbox ppl from peter moore's era saw what current xbox is doing they would be like
d66527ed86d64d788c493c09e1d02897_w200.gif

Now that we have the year over year increases/decreases from Europe, U.S and Japan I think hardware shipments for the July to September quarter (FYQ2) will be something like this:

PS5
3.30m for FYQ2 22/23
4.70m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

NSW
3.25m for FYQ2 22/23
2.75m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

XBS
1.90m estimate for FYQ2 22/23
1.80m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Did they care about MS Office sales? Xbox wil just follow the same transition to services path as the rest of their products have.
Except with MS Office they were by far the biggest player. They also had the biggest email platform in Exchange which they were pushing online alongside MS Office.

The market is completely different from perspective of competition, or rather lacking it in the Enterprise at least. Google is making inroads of course, but not enough to drive down MS revenue.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well, that settles the conversations in the NPD Circana thread.

Even Forza Horizon 5 is outselling Starfield.

And Xbox had the worst year in 2022 and the best year in 2023. Yet sales in September 2023 are -35% down compared to 2022.

I remember saying on several occasions that Foza reached 10 million faster than Starfield and I found that a bit strange.

The metric we have now is that the PC sales are probably not strong enough to cover the sales. We also know it took longer than Forza Horizon 5 to reach 10 million players.

Total player counts don't matter because Game Pass is, apparently, free, but then total player counts suddenly do matter when Forza achieved 10 million players faster.

I stated before and compared the player count to Forza and Starfield, which probably means the growth is not as big or just around the same.

Yesterday.

Yes, but as of right now, I wasn't a significant amount and likely slower than FH5 when it reached 10m players.

I believe the numbers were good for Forza Horizon 5, but the way the game is charting on Steam and Europe charts, it might not have the legs or the growth needed to be that hit title.

gerth666

Neo Member
The only way Microsoft can turn this around is to make call of duty full exclusive. Force people onto their ecosystem

Xbox still down yoy even with starfield and no stock issues? Where are the people who were saying they were down because of shortages earlier this year? There never was shortages. It was bullshit. Xbox series is in decline already and will struggle to sell 50m lifetime. Even 40m might be a stretch.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Am I the only one that feels Xbox is going to become full-on third party very soon?

They would keep GamePass going, but it would be for their PC gamers and to promote their PC store, then they would be releasing their games on PS.

Cause at this point, what is really the point in having a console or being exclusive, regardless of what people feel of Starfield, can you imagine how sales of that game would have been if it was on PS?

GHG

Xbox still down yoy even with starfield and no stock issues? Where are the people who were saying they were down because of shortages earlier this year? There never was shortages. It was bullshit. Xbox series is in decline already and will struggle to sell 50m lifetime. Even 40m might be a stretch.

The best theory was that they were "sandbagging because of the regulators".

Too funny.

Mowcno

Is that true? I didn't know that. I wasn't saying that because that's what want by the way. I very much dislike them, just not a lot seems to be going well for them.
The have signed 10-year binding contracts with both Nintendo and Sony:

Ubisoft also have the cloud streaming rights to all Activision titles for the next 15 years, so theoretically Ubisoft could bring all Activision titles to PlayStation/Nintendo via cloud streaming:

kaizenkko

Am I the only one that feels Xbox is going to become full-on third party very soon?

They would keep GamePass going, but it would be for their PC gamers and to promote their PC store, then they would be releasing their games on PS.

Cause at this point, what is really the point in having a console or being exclusive, regardless of what people feel of Starfield, can you imagine how sales of that game would have been if it was on PS?
I think this never gona happen. Microsoft is not buying publishers to be just a great third-party publisher, they want dominate the gaming space. If they fail in that pursuit, I think they will just give up of gaming.

Mowcno

Gamepass maybe? 🤣 You lot are so worried about Xbox it's an obsession at this point, what's all this scaremongering achieving exactly? Microsoft aren't exiting the console business so don't worry your little heads about the trillion dollar company 😆
That makes zero sense. These games aren't gamepass exclusives they're already on steam.

I'm surprised EA Football is not more down, seems people are not that dumb.

As for Xbox, this is confirmation that it's completely dead in Europe. Outside of making COD, FIFA or GTA6 exclusive, nothing can boost their hardware over PS5/Switch 2. They should focus completely on PC, or ditch the Xbox branding.

It's not the rebrand that really threatens EA FC, it's a new competitor and more importantly a new competitor WITH the FIFA name AND marketing.

Mr.Phoenix

I think this never gona happen. Microsoft is not buying publishers to be just a great third-party publisher, they want dominate the gaming space. If they fail in that pursuit, I think they will just give up of gaming.
I really believe that Xbox would make more money as a full-on third-party publisher than it has as a platform.... ever.

There is no shame in being a third-party publisher, especially with the amount of IPs Xbox now has. What's even better is that it puts them in this unique position where they could actually give Steam on PC a proper run for its money.

If we are being honest, Xbox, all of this gen, has already been third party. All their games are available on PC and Xbox consoles day 1. let's call it what it is, doing that means you are making your games available for more than one platform on day 1, that's as close to being a third-party pub as anyone would get. Far removed from sonys approach of bringing their games to PC after a year or two... or more. It shows their priority is first and foremost the PS console. And the sales are reflective of that.

At this point, it is apt to say, that Xbox is that third-party publisher that releases games for everyone.... except Playstation.

You haven't taken into account that Xbox hardware has been 10% you for the first half of the year according to Mat Piscatella. So if you take that into account then you can see how Starfield clear had impact on hardware.

It gave it a small bump and in late september and october, it fell off most charts. This suggests that that bump will be short-lived. By November they'll be in the red again if not October.

kaizenkko

I really believe that Xbox would make more money as a full-on third-party publisher than it has as a platform.... ever.

There is no shame in being a third-party publisher, especially with the amount of IPs Xbox now has. What's even better is that it puts them in this unique position where they could actually give Steam on PC a proper run for its money.

If we are being honest, Xbox, all of this gen, has already been third party. All their games are available on PC and Xbox consoles day 1. let's call it what it is, doing that means you are making your games available for more than one platform on day 1, that's as close to being a third-party pub as anyone would get. Far removed from sonys approach of bringing their games to PC after a year or two... or more. It shows their priority is first and foremost the PS console. And the sales are reflective of that.

At this point, it is apt to say, that Xbox is that third-party publisher that releases games for everyone.... except Playstation.
You don't get it. Microsoft don't care about the money they do now, or even about the money they can do being a good third-party. They care about the money they would do with the billions of gamepass subscribers that Phil Spencer promise.

Reckheim

Hearing bullshit like 'MS doesn't care about hardware sales' is some real dumb shit.

If they didn't care, they wouldn't have made the game exclusive; that's an easy 5m+ sales if they were to release the game on ps5.

There is no doubt in my mind that Starfield has been a disappointment for them internally essentially on all fronts except for Steam sales.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
MS really needs to buy SEGA since SEGA has a real expertise in going 1st to 3rd party. SEGA would really help MS to success this transition.

MS fanboys calling MS to buy SEGA are really inspire when you look at the numbers. MS is going 3rd party, it’s now a matter of tme.
They'll just treat Sega just like their other studios. They'll just be there making content for Game Pass.

I said recently that if Microsoft buys certain developers, then they risk killing off franchises. A lot of Sega's games are popular in Japan, and they certainly won't be a factor if they remove the games from the PlayStation platform.

gerth666

Neo Member
The have signed 10-year binding contracts with both Nintendo and Sony:

Ubisoft also have the cloud streaming rights to all Activision titles for the next 15 years, so theoretically Ubisoft could bring all Activision titles to PlayStation/Nintendo via cloud streaming:

I'm with on thinking they will go 3rd party eventually, you don't invest the amount of cash they have on publishers with not wanting a huge return. I don't think you'd make it back fast enough on Xbox alone. There goal is to get their services onto as many devices as possible, playstation including

That makes zero sense. These games aren't gamepass exclusives they're already on steam.
What the Gamepass exclusive thing? Why doesn't that make sense? They are selling a subscription service (on PC as well). The ultimate goal for Microsoft is more subs, how people experience that matters not to Microsoft. Console sales are another way to access Gamepass and that's all. You guys are still living in the PS3/X360 era where console sales were everything, that's not how it works anymore, but carry on with the doom and gloom it's hilarious.

Unknown?

True that. That 7 billion would have created a nice studio and possibly with tons of talent if managed right.

Top Bottom