• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics cards and crypto mining - Let's be real for a second

Vesper73

rtx-3080-ethereum.jpg
aa660059a3cbbb87a4f40bb245bbad24.gif

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I Don't share your optimism in crypto mining, just like I don't trust most trend movements that have happened: keto diets, the .com movement, the housing bubble crash. Idk, my bs detector is on strong everytime it happens. I could totally be wrong, but you guys talking about how processing a digital currency by sucking away on some machine is going to actually save the world. It doesn't connect for me.

Three

Yes, actually.

When I buy something it's mine and I can do whatever the fuck I want with it.

N.B.
I hate this fucking shortage too. But it's not the point.
I dont agree with companies trying to control what you can do with something you bought either but there are a lot of selfish people out there. nvidia plans to release much more efficient mining GPUs

The big miners should just get that.
I don't feel sorry for the big miners. The ones who have racks of GPUs just mining and wasting a ton of electricity and silicon on something these GPUs were not intended for. I do feel bad for those who buy a GPU and want the ability to both play and mine though.

Alfen Dave

Crypto mining... This is going to trigger some people, but it has to be said.

Let's get the basics out of the way first...
nVidia is worth 0.3 Trillion dollars
AMD is worth 0.1 Trillion dollars

Together, they are not worth half a trillion dollars, and we want them to control a cryptocurrency market with a cap of 1.6 Trillion ? That is larger than the whole of Google (which is worth 1.4 Trillion). Do you really honestly think, that AMD and nVidia can do anything about this...? REALLY?

People complain about large corporations all the time, but when there's a free resource out there to directly be part of something bigger, people fight against it. Mining is an opportunity for everyone that bought a graphics card to make the card pay back for itself. And it's sad that people not only complain about mining, but go as far as wanting that ability removed from gamers, to try and artificially control a market that is bigger than Google... Yeah... Good luck with that.

The issue here is people having an obsession with new stuff. Most of us have backlogs of games that we never played, yet we can play with our current hardware. Do you know how many good games are out there that the majority of us can play even with integrated graphics?
But noooo. We must have that latest newest shiny thing, otherwise gaming is impossible...

We live in a dopamine addicted society where we want immediate satisfaction, while there's a bunch of other options to achieve basically the same thing. If you play Cyberpunk 2077 today or in a year from now, it's the same game. In fact, it might even be a better game a year from now due to patches, and might even be cheaper to boot.

Seriously... I don't get it. Graphics card are not food. You're not going to die if you don't get one. The world would be a much better place if we fixed our addictions and looked at opportunities instead of limitations. Just try and not ruin things for the rest of us with your ignorance.

But what do I know...?

What the hell is OP talking about here?

1 trillion = 1000 billions.

AMD is set at a mkt Cap of 90 Billions which is 0.09 T?

Ascend

What the hell is OP talking about here?

1 trillion = 1000 billions.

AMD is set at a mkt Cap of 90 Billions which is 0.09 T?
AMD's cap has dropped since the time of writing. And really, there isn't a big difference between 0.1T and 0.09T. Maybe if I write it like 0.10T it's easier for you.

Top Bottom