• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

TaterPop1980

Neo Member
Started Jedi Survivor this morning on the XSX and will say I was impressed by the visuals and performance (quality mode).
Only an hour in but it’s easily the best looking game I’ve played since Dead Space. It’s on Game pass via EA Play for anyone interested. What is GAF’s consensus on the Jedi Survivor‘s visuals?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Started Jedi Survivor this morning on the XSX and will say I was impressed by the visuals and performance (quality mode).
Only an hour in but it’s easily the best looking game I’ve played since Dead Space. It’s on Game pass via EA Play for anyone interested. What is GAF’s consensus on the Jedi Survivor‘s visuals?
Impossible to get gaf’s consensus of on anything but i personally think it looks amazing at times. Fantastic asset quality and lighting. The open world doesn’t look as good but the enemy bases have great lighting, reflections and model quality.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

Is it just me or does Stalker have a very last gen Metro exodus look to it?

Doesnt look anywhere close to unrecord and other UE5 bodycam shooter games we have seen from indie devs with similar settings. This is supposed to be a UE5 game with nanite and lumen.

still, it doesn't look bad at all, the atmosphere is there
but
yes, it has definitely got worse over the past few trailers

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-4.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-8.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-7.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-5.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-6.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-3.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-2.jpg

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-1.jpg

Last edited:

miklonus

So, what do you guys think? Has anything wowed you yet this generation?
I hate the PS5. I hate this generation. I've told you this before. The PS5 pales in comparison to the PS4 a decade ago, or a generation ago, in terms of games specifically designed for it which take advantage of it. Fuck Spider-Man 2 fuck that wack-ass game. PS4 and Sony's practices regarding it were far from perfect, but the PS5's output, and Sony's strategy for the PS5, are so inferior that I'd be lying to myself if I said that I was satisfied with it.

I don't have high hopes for RED in terms of visuals. it's reportedly another pseudo-RPG that will probably only build slightly on their already outdated engine.

Tom Henderson already leaked that the AC engine has been substantially upgraded for AC Red, I have high expectations personally.

The most means that moving forward, Assassin’s Creed will benefit visually from the lines of ray-traced global illumination and virtual geometry. The move to the Anvil Pipeline has meant that the teams have had to completely overhaul everything in the series, too, including animations, its parkour system, dynamic weather, and more.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Tom Henderson already leaked that the AC engine has been substantially upgraded for AC Red, I have high expectations personally.

great to hear about rtgi and virtual geometry. lets see how their solution compares to nanite and snowdrop's microdetail system.

animations getting an overhaul is very exciting. i would love to see for honor's motion matching in this.

I dont like how the FF16 DLC doesnt have a lot of expensive looking cutscenes. The budget has clearly been cut but there are still moments where it looks damn near CG in cutscenes. Granted FF7 Rebirth also looks amazing in cutscenes thanks to incredibly high quality hero lighting on every character, but there is just something about how FF16 lights its scenes. They also use hero lighting which goes away after the cutscene ends, but its not overly bright like in FF7 Rebirth, and it just adds this very moody look you would see in a ridley scott or a david fincher movie.

This is one game that has incredible art direction while also pushing visual fidelity.

GL4OMy-XMAA6FX0

GL4OMy9XMAAklXf

This scene reminded me of this gorgeously lit scene at night from the base game. So many other games would just hero lighting everywhere and while these guys also added hero lighting, they made sure to use the light from that lamp instead of artificial lighting with the moon doubling as a sun. What a beautiful looking game.

F2An-WsWUAIU6UO
I love this lighting, gives it a CGI look.

Last edited:
I hate the PS5. I hate this generation. I've told you this before. The PS5 pales in comparison to the PS4 a decade ago, or a generation ago, in terms of games specifically designed for it which take advantage of it. Fuck Spider-Man 2 fuck that wack-ass game. PS4 and Sony's practices regarding it were far from perfect, but the PS5's output, and Sony's strategy for the PS5, are so inferior that I'd be lying to myself if I said that I was satisfied with it.

I'm holding on to hope until Sony and MS show their next wave of games. If the big and well funded studios fail to impress than I'll consider this gen a total flop tech wise.

Another day another thread on gaf about next gen. They are all as obsessed with next gen graphics as we are lol.

So, what do you guys think? Has anything wowed you yet this generation?

• Returnal was the first moment for me. Mostly because of the audio design and dual sense implementation mixed with the insane atmosphere. Just thick with fog and particle effects. At least the first couple of levels, the rest felt comfortably last gen.
  • Ratchet had some wow moments. The first city, the portal setpieces and blizar prime.
  • Aloy in horizon FW still blows me away every time i go back to it. The way she's lit is so beautiful. the clouds in the DLC were a legit wow moment.
  • Spiderman 2 when sandman throws you half way across the city.
  • The zipping setpiece in Star Wars jedi survivor was very holy shit worthy.
  • Every single Eikon Fight in FF16. Especially the titan and bahamut fights.
  • Lastly, Avatar's opening shot when you first enter pandora. Probably the only time ive said wow out loud instead of just thinking it. it was my KZSF moment of this gen. So glad they kept it till the game's release. Amazing to experience it in 4k hdr instead of youtube compressed feeds.
Ratchet was the first game to really wow me, horizons character models look great - alan wake had its moments of wowing (specifically certain scenes that I thought were pre-rendered then realized I could play it).

Nothing has wowed me the way I’d hoped TBH. Seems I expected too much. The best looking games have some great stuff, but they always have something they don’t do - IE: lighting in horizon, shimmering in Alan wake, various problems with Avatar

Holy shit. Dragons Dogma 2 with path tracing mod looks amazing. its crazy how materials look better just because the lighting is better.

I don't understand something
Doesn't this game have RT gi on PS5? RT gi is supposed to do amazing things for materials too. DF has demonstrated this before in their analysis of Control and CB 2077. Why isn't DD2's RT gi impactful like those games?

I don't understand something
Doesn't this game have RT gi on PS5? RT gi is supposed to do amazing things for materials too. DF has demonstrated this before in their analysis of Control and CB 2077. Why isn't DD2's RT gi impactful like those games?

OK the answe is more samples per pixel in Path Tracing, shadows are ray traced, and specular detail and reflections all come with path tracing and don't with rt gi

Def one of the best looking games this gen

amigastar

Watching this video it came to my mind why not beautiful pre rendered games as graphical fidelity i expect this gen. It doesn't have to be always 3D.Are there some gems coming out with pre rendered graphics?

Last edited:

Xtib81

Should’ve had floating islands a la zelda up there. But GG don’t have any real imagination. At least compared to Nintendo.

Yep, I'd argue that we'll get that in Hz3 and that they wanted to test their tech. It could also allow us to cover long distances much faster thanks to wind speed, take cover from enemies, recharge our sungwing's batteries faster etc.. but GG are clearly limited when it comes to innovative gameplay, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Ratchet was the first game to really wow me, horizons character models look great - alan wake had its moments of wowing (specifically certain scenes that I thought were pre-rendered then realized I could play it).

Nothing has wowed me the way I’d hoped TBH. Seems I expected too much. The best looking games have some great stuff, but they always have something they don’t do - IE: lighting in horizon, shimmering in Alan wake, various problems with Avatar

Honestly pretty much every current gen game I play wows me to some extent - they almost all look fantastic in their own right. But then I take this stuff pretty seriously and never buy any of those games with really terrible sounding performance modes like Jedi Survivor.

So stuff like TLOU P1, Spider-Man 2, and RE4 Remake look amazingly good imo, despite their clear last gen roots. But the fact remains that STILL - even after nearly 4 years since its reveal - the one game that feels like a true generational leap over anything on PS4 is Ratchet & Clank. IMO it's still the best looking game on console ever made - and by a distance (big caveat: haven't played Avatar or Alan Wake 2 yet as refuse to play the compromised performance modes).

So I do still think we'll finally see a big step when we actually get other big (especially first party) games releasing that have been designed from the ground up for next gen, on proper next gen engines. We're already seeing that from the glimpses at GTA V, Death Stranding 2, and of course from Avatar and AW2.

The true next gen games ARE coming. They're just painfully slow.

Hunnybun

Should’ve had floating islands a la zelda up there. But GG don’t have any real imagination. At least compared to Nintendo.

It's mad how that statement can both sound ridiculous and yet still be true.

How can Nintendo, a company, be so madly creative, even long after Miyamoto has stopped being a driving force? And how can the reverse be true of another huge company like Guerrilla? And yet it is. Every time I play a Nintendo game the sheer creativity just bursts off the screen. And I don't think I've ever really seen a single innovative idea in a Guerrilla game. The most imaginative thing in Horizon is clearly the setting and central twist of robotic animals/dinosaurs - which is clearly pretty cool. But beyond that everything's just totally by the numbers. It's crazy how companies can have personalities like that.

xxDeadlockxx

Neo Member
I've been following this thread for quite some time without participating in it. I play on a console but I am one of those who gives a lot of importance to the technical section, graphical fidelity, although always considering the context of each game and where it is going to be played. I am one of those people who say "Give me all the graphics you can even if they are at 30 fps stable" although as I said without asking for impossible things and knowing the limitations of each platform.

It has been many years since I left the PC behind to play, basically since when I bought the X360 at the outset, my step in the next generation was the PS4 and in the current generation I am with a Series S. If that console is so "hated" on the one hand of the community in which it is little less than a mixture between shit and antichrist. But the TV where I use the console is not 4k and really with the Series S I have plenty. I ask for quality but so little I ask for the most to play.

Having given an idea of what I am looking for today with respect to graphics, I wanted to ask a few things because people with much more knowledge than me write around here.

I don't know if you are aware of the disaster that Ark Ascended is being, at least in regards to its console version. I have always had the impression that the game's developer studio is quite incompetent. I played the original Ark quite a bit on PS4 and the performance and resolution were pitiful. With the inclusion of Ark Ascended in the Gamepass I decided to download it to see how it looked with Unreal Enginge 5.

I tried it the same day it was available on the service and the truth is that I was quite surprised because there was undoubtedly a leap in quality with its original version. And above all for lighting, blessed Lumen. Above all the new techniques that are used today, without a doubt, my favorite in a global illumination system to notice those contrasts between well-lit sites and sites in the shade.

Well, just the next day they released an update to include a new map. With this update they have broken the game. There is no lighting per Lumen, worse quality of leftovers, no reflections in the water per Lumen, worse resolution in Series S. Worse quality in general.

I'm going to leave some screenshots before the patch and after the patch. Please do not criticize for the sake of criticizing, as I said at the beginning, understand the context and keep in mind that it is in a Series. Obviously the game looks much better on other platforms but what I want to show here is not that but the exaggerated downgrade that has been done in general because it also affects Series X and PS5

Before

Gij84i7.png

7XBCovK.png

M7EPsl9.png

FVkzwmT.png

pCOCVCe.png

1LI3YKI.png

bFckMEF.png

OOy0bRO.png

y60J0kT.png

After

1Yj9ImG.png

Zb4A2if.png

mhB1srG.png

w1O4zOA.png

m5PsLeP.png

The images after the patch even look a little better than they originally were because the game allows you to modify various graphic settings through the console, but there are things that are hidden and it is the best I could do.

I also wanted to comment on an f2p called Deceit 2 and that uses UE 5, in principle according to its developers it uses Lumen:

sm625db.png

ze6u1o9.png

tpCvOey.png

f1sLIUM.png

y4EWXOm.png

JIAwfEZ.png

48O8p0v.png

CjFweqS.png

0BvpFoi.png

And finally, what do you think about kingdom come deliverance 2 and what version of Cryengine could it be using? I still have the first one to play but reviewing videos of the game, the landscapes still look really good today. And in general the game I think could look worse for the years that have passed.

Top Bottom