• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V celebrates its sixth anniversary today

Evilms

Banned
Just 6 years ago, on September 17, 2013, Grand Theft Auto V, the 15th episode of the iconic Rockstar Games saga, was released in all stores, video game stores and other online sales sites on PS3 and Xbox 360.
The opus of all superlatives then allows the GTA series to pass a very big milestone while sharing the place with its multiplayer version.

Some records:

• Best selling action-adventure game in 24 hours (11,21 million sales)
  • Best game sale in 24 hours (11,21 million sales)
  • Fastest entertainment to reach $1 billion (in just three days)
  • Fastest video game to reach $1 billion (in three days)
  • Video game generating the most money in 24 hours ($815 million)
  • Highest income generated by a 24-hour entertainment product ($815 million)
  • Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure game (59, 124 ,965 views as of September, 2019)
  • The game had generated over $6 billion in revenue
  • Best-selling game of all time in the United Kingdom
  • Best-selling game of all time on PlayStation 3
  • Best-selling game of all time on PlayStation 4
  • The world's third best-selling game with more than 110 million copies sold
  • The world's best-selling AAA with more than 110 million copies sold

Happy birthday to the greatest game of all time 🎂

Last edited:

Catphish

I've been going back and forth with myself, trying to decide if I want to reinstall and go back online, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

None of my friends play it anymore. :(

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

A.Romero

I have started this game several times but have never finished the campaign.

Great game, to be honest. They did a really good job with it and the team deserves all those awards.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Nero_PR

Banned
Rockstar games are always great to play the campaign once and then leave it to be. I do most of the optional stuff and that is it. The online always rubs me the wrong way. Loved playing the campaign 3 times (PS3, PS4 and PC). Great experience overall while you have things to do. Couldn't give a crap the moment they want us to grind for anything. For grind, I play RPGs.

GHG

I've got it on both PS4 and PC and never seem to get further than a couple of hours in when I try to play it. It just doesn't grab me for some reason.

I loved San Andreas and Vice City back in the day but there's something about modern Rockstar games that just doesn't grab me anymore.

Maybe I've outgrown these types of games :(

Breakage

And despite getting it on the day of its original seventh generation release, I still haven't completed it. I could not put GTA IV down, but I just didn't get the same feeling with V. The multi character approach really put me off, among other things. I've got to get round to it someday.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I've been playing it for the last week or so on my newly built PC, but the games crashes constantly back to the desktop, pretty annoying but at least I'm almost done with it.

Fox Mulder

Did the story twice and it was entertaining enough. It’s a great open world sandbox.

Just a shame we never got any story dlc or another entry like usual because GTA Online was so huge.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
An objectively good game, but I despise LA and its analogues in gaming. Would much prefer any other location than the west coast. Bring back an 80s Miami please!

Jack whateverhisface is rolling in his grave.

The game is still over-priced though.

Edit: OP you missed out a bullet point

• Most double, triple and quadruple dipped game of all time

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I remember just waiting for those heists or whatever that never came. Did they?

I played the fucking piss out of this game for like 2 months.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I took the rest of the week off of work to play it on PS3 when it came out. Good times and I played the hell out of it. I re bought it on PS4 when it came out only played it for a little but. Guess I need to remedy that in the near future.

Cravis

I finished it on 360 then upgraded and finished it again on PS4. If Rockstar ever gives us x enhancements, and let’s face iit that’s not gonna happen if it hadn’t happened by now, I’d gladly buy it and finish it again on X Box One.

Kabelly

I only have console atm but I kinda had a resurgence playing again when I realized I could use Director Mode to just literally play god and virtually and character in the game.
The single player has all those dumb time limits on the cheats so Director Mode really changed the fun for me. Superjump + Invincibility meant I could really explore the game again in a way I never was able to. Yea on PC there's already 1000 mods to do so but like I said, I'm restricted to consoles atm.

Petrae

It’s going to be difficult for any game to top what GTA V has done in the sales department. It was a perfect storm, coming out at the end of the previous console generation and getting ported for the new console generation for a opportunistic overlap. Then a weird thing happened— the sales never really slowed down.

The game is still a fixture on monthly NPD Top 10 charts, with no end in sight. Even the sequel to Red Dead Redemption, which many thought would finally be the catalyst to sending GTA V into retirement, hasn’t slowed down this train.

I’m not at all a fan of these games, as I find open-world games to be aimless and only temporarily engaging, but I’m definitely in awe of just how massive a success that GTA V has been. The next game is going to have HUGE shoes to fill.

Myths

What an feat when it comes down to units sold. It makes me wonder in what ways they will push the edge of the next entry.

I've got it on both PS4 and PC and never seem to get further than a couple of hours in when I try to play it. It just doesn't grab me for some reason.

I loved San Andreas and Vice City back in the day but there's something about modern Rockstar games that just doesn't grab me anymore.

Maybe I've outgrown these types of games :(
Gotta mod it, it’s so nice that way too.

GreatnessRD

They gettin' that bread for real. Kudos to Rockstar North on gettin' that shmoney. I enjoyed the PS4 version of the game and don't have any complaints outside of the alien spaceship cars in GTA: Online. But hell of a game and all accolades deserved.

nush

The only GTA game I've completed, having the mission skip mode really helped. No more "CJ You've got to follow the damn train" experiences.

Top Bottom