• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Government Report Finds Drastic Impact of Climate Change on U.S.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I know people's eyes probably glaze over the weekly "climate change reports" at this point but this is a pretty major one.

NY Times

The report draft

WASHINGTON — The average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly and drastically since 1980, and recent decades have been the warmest of the past 1,500 years, according to a sweeping federal climate change report awaiting approval by the Trump administration.

The draft report by scientists from 13 federal agencies, which has not yet been made public, concludes that Americans are feeling the effects of climate change right now. It directly contradicts claims by President Trump and members of his cabinet who say that the human contribution to climate change is uncertain, and that the ability to predict the effects is limited.

“Evidence for a changing climate abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans,” a draft of the report states. A copy of it was obtained by The New York Times.

The authors note that thousands of studies, conducted by tens of thousands of scientists, have documented climate changes on land and in the air. “Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” they wrote.

The report was completed this year and is a special science section of the National Climate Assessment, which is congressionally mandated every four years. The National Academy of Sciences has signed off on the draft report, and the authors are awaiting permission from the Trump administration to release it.

One government scientist who worked on the report, Katharine Hayhoe, a professor of political science at Texas Tech University, called the conclusions among “the most comprehensive climate science reports” to be published. Another scientist involved in the process, who spoke to The New York Times on the condition of anonymity, said he and others were concerned that it would be suppressed.

The E.P.A. is one of 13 agencies that must approve the report by Aug. 18. The agency’s administrator, Scott Pruitt, has said he does not believe that carbon dioxide is a primary contributor to global warming.

“It’s a fraught situation,” said Michael Oppenheimer, a professor of geoscience and international affairs at Princeton University who was not involved in the study. “This is the first case in which an analysis of climate change of this scope has come up in the Trump administration, and scientists will be watching very carefully to see how they handle it.”

Based on those and other conflicting studies, the federal draft concludes that there was a medium likelihood that climate change played a role in the Texas heat wave. But it avoids assessing other individual weather events for their link to climate change. Generally, the report described linking recent major droughts in the United States to human activity as “complicated,” saying that while many droughts have been long and severe, they have not been unprecedented in the earth’s hydrologic natural variation.

Worldwide, the draft report finds it “extremely likely” that more than half of the global mean temperature increase since 1951 can be linked to human influence.

In the United States, the report concludes with “very high” confidence that the number and severity of cool nights have decreased since the 1960s, while the frequency and severity of warm days have increased. Extreme cold waves, it says, are less common since the 1980s, while extreme heat waves are more common.

With a medium degree of confidence, the authors linked the contribution of human-caused warming to rising temperatures over the Western and Northern United States. It found no direct link in the Southeast.

Additionally, the government scientists wrote that surface, air and ground temperatures in Alaska and the Arctic are rising at a frighteningly fast rate — twice as fast as the global average.

Human activity, the report goes on to say, is a primary culprit.

I guess you can read the uncensored draft before all the terms are blacked out :^)

Monocle

Somebody needs to convince Trump that climate change poses a clear and immediate threat to his personal profits.

Syf

Banned
"awaiting approval by the Trump administration."

Ah well you did your best, scientists.

*Donny puts on a smug look as he tosses the report in the trash*

if the report has to be approved, well good luck with that

my feeling is we are already too freaken late at this point and still we have to deal with shitheads like Trump trying screw with any attempt to change out shitty ways

giphy.gif

The agency’s administrator, Scott Pruitt, has said he does not believe that carbon dioxide is a primary contributor to global warming.
After a year, he attended Georgetown College in Kentucky and graduated in 1990 with bachelor's degrees in political science and communications.[10] He then moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma where he attended the University of Tulsa and earned a Juris Doctor in 1993.[11]
Maybe, just maybe, this guy is entirely unqualified to make this call and should kindly shut the fuck up and listen to what actual scientists say.

People always find terrible hills to die on and cry censorship. If this is buried, I hope they'll find the same energy they had when they went out of their way to moan about Nazis being disrespected or 12 year olds missing swimsuits in video games.

It's so dumb. it's like the republicans are the great filter for greatness for humanity. If we can just get passed their comic book level evilness. Seriously, at this point I hope they've been infiltrated at the highest levels by reptilian aliens and are just fucking us.

It makes more sense then their outright evil acts. Morality wise anyways. Cause how can a group of humans be so fucking god awful. I mean wtf

"Sucks for the future, got mine !"

le.phat

The US will turn to scorched earth, and the pundit-driven conservative masses will find a new scapegoat to blame. No amount of damage will change the trajectory of the US as long as the US population at large refuses to think for itself.

It's so dumb. it's like the republicans are the great filter for greatness for humanity. If we can just get passed their comic book level evilness. Seriously, at this point I hope they've been infiltrated at the highest levels by reptilian aliens and are just fucking us.
Every historical era needs some kind of "extremely generic bad guy or evil philosophy that's trying to hold everyone back that will be really easy to spot after the fact and we'll scold our ancestors for not doing more to stop," and it's become pretty clear who that's going to be for the "decline of America" chapter. It's not even all Republicans, of course... the extremes just happen to be the ones in positions of power at state and especially federal levels.

wazoo

reminds me the west wing episode where a science report was censored by a democrat office on business and jobs reasons.

prophetic

DavidDesu

It's quite staggering you have the worst possible person in the entire world to be running your country right now. And worse yet you have a significant chunk of your nation's people who would disregard all of this information as lies from the scientific community.

It's shocking just how easy it is for the rich vested interests to play your people like they're simple animals. They really are though.

(I come from Brexit land, and worse still Scotland, where people vote against their best interests as if their life depended on it)

F34R

13 Federal agencies making a report of what tens of thousands of other peoples' studies.. yeah, that's something I'd believe. THIRTEEN agencies... smh.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Imagine working on something for what is likely years, only to end up turning it in to an administration that will at best, just ignore it and toss it in the trash, and at worst, try to say it's fake news and put a target on your back.

I mean this is obviously all a part of Putin's plan. Make the US suffer environmentally and economically by reversing course on climate change.

I wonder how many degree increase overall we are looking at. Global temperatures once went up 10 degrees in a single year a couple of million years ago. Nearly everything on the planet went extinct. Even bacteria.

Beartruck

I wonder how many degree increase overall we are looking at. Global temperatures once went up 10 degrees in a single year a couple of million years ago. Nearly everything on the planet went extinct. Even bacteria.
The paris deal has the optimistic goal of 2C. More likely is 3-4C.

Shauni

I mean this is obviously all a part of Putin's plan. Make the US suffer environmentally and economically by reversing course on climate change.

It's a terrible plan if so, because the environmental effect will ultimately hurt the entire world, and many states are choosing to go to clean energy regardless of what the federal government says

The paris deal has the optimistic goal of 2C. More likely is 3-4C.

But that is a goal they hope to achieve after so many years. 30 years is it? It's not a plan that says that is where it will stop. It's a hopeful goal to keep it to that many degrees over so many years. It will continue to go up after that whether the goal is reached or not.

I'm not any kind of scientist, but it seems to me that if the temp continues to go up after 3 degrees, as it surely will, we are in deep trouble. How does any human survive a 6 degree increase?

Maybe, just maybe, this guy is entirely unqualified to make this call and should kindly shut the fuck up and listen to what actual scientists say.

One of the first things people noted as the Trump admin was taking shape was that these posts that were held by actual scientists during the Obama (and In some cases even prior) administrations are now stacked with politicians.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Good, super vital information.

I'll be surprised if Trump even looks at the first page.

But that is a goal they hope to achieve after so many years. 30 years is it? It's not a plan that says that is where it will stop. It's a hopeful goal to keep it to that many degrees over so many years. It will continue to go up after that whether the goal is reached or not.

I'm not any kind of scientist, but it seems to me that if the temp continues to go up after 3 degrees, as it surely will, we are in deep trouble. How does any human survive a 6 degree increase?

The ideal is limit it to that and hope the best scientists in relevant fields have devloped technologies to reverse the damage (e.g. carbon capture technologies) by that point that we are reversing the damage. Functionally, it's going to require significant carbon capture advancements, or deliberate climate engineering (which has problems on it's own, mainly that it's bloody difficult to predict what unintended changes would occur from that as a result).

As for how to deliberately survive that level of increase? ... extensive scuba diving training. (luck, mostly would be the actual answer)

Somebody needs to convince Trump that climate change poses a clear and immediate threat to his personal profits.

They uh, somehow already pulled that when trying to get approval to construct a sea wall by his Irish golf course (yes, he has one there too). Eventually the application was scrapped because it failed to meet other environmental concerns, chiefly mitigating impact on threatened wildlife.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lare-plans-withdrawn-sand-dunes-a7460381.html

Mr Trump has hinted that he does not believe in man-made climate change, tweeting that the “concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese” in 2012, but the application cited global warming and rising sea levels to justify the wall.

RootCause

"awaiting approval by the Trump administration."

Ah well you did your best, scientists.

*Donny puts on a smug look as he tosses the report in the trash*
Yup! Trump is a vindictive ass. So he'll take this as a chance to shit on everyone that opposed him, and his ilk.

Top Bottom