• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google's Project Starlight

feynoob

I feel sorry for this project.
Featured-image-split-the-Google-logo-on-a-Pixel-phone-and-a-meme-about-the-end-of-Google-Stadia.jpg

AJUMP23

Starlight Star bright, first project Google cancels tonight.

Cool and all but it is just a way for Google to sell more of your data.

Fbh

Seems cool but it also seems like a gimmick.
Can't really think of many real world applications other than, I don't know, big companies wanting to invest in expensive tech to make 1 on 1 remote interviews/meetings feel more personal?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The viewscreen on Star Trek (TNG and onward) had this, and it was a cool feature that was so subtle that a lot of people who watched the show missed it. When someone on the viewer was shown from a side-angle, the perspective was correct, and it looked like you were viewing them from the side (as opposed to just having the same flat image for everyone). Here is an example of this:

the_enemy_hd_336.jpg

In Star Trek Voyager, the "behind the viewscreen" was the same as the holodeck gird. It makes sense that if you have the technology to capture fully rendered 3D from a camera (for use in a holodeck), that you could use that 3D image for communications more effectively.

qwYvxt1.jpg

Anyway, cool to see that this is actually being worked on and how far along it's come. Will definitely be interesting to see where this is at in 400 years.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

The viewscreen on Star Trek (TNG and onward) had this, and it was a cool feature that was so subtle that a lot of people who watched the show missed it. When someone on the viewer was shown from a side-angle, the perspective was correct, and it looked like you were viewing them from the side (as opposed to just having the same flat image for everyone). Here is an example of this:

the_enemy_hd_336.jpg

In Star Trek Voyager, the "behind the viewscreen" was the same as the holodeck gird. It makes sense that if you have the technology to capture fully rendered 3D from a camera (for use in a holodeck), that you could use that 3D image for communications more effectively.

qwYvxt1.jpg

Anyway, cool to see that this is actually being worked on and how far along it's come. Will definitely be interesting to see where this is at in 400 years.

None of that is real....Star Trek is not real.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
None of that is real....Star Trek is not real.
Obviously I know that, but the people who made Star Trek are real people - and these were conscious decisions that the writers and show runners made way back in 1989 when they were envisioning what "the future" would be like 400 years from now. This was wild speculation 35 years ago, that's now becoming closer to reality. I think that's pretty cool.

I would be absolutely shocked if anything I posted above was unknown to a huge number of the engineers working on Project Starline at Google. There are tons of modern everyday technologies (like cell phones and tablets, natural language query interfaces, comm badges, "universal" translators, etc.) that started out as mere ideas in the writer's room for Star Trek and its subsequent spin-offs. There is a massive cross-section of engineers who are also Trekkies.

Dural

The Amazon Fire phone had something similar to this, they called it Dynamic Perspective. You can also use a Kinect to do this with virtual pinball machines. I've seen Youtube videos of a virtual window that does the same thing, the problem is that it only works for one perspective. You get two people looking at it and it would only work for one of them.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

the_enemy_hd_336.jpg

qwYvxt1.jpg

Damn they should sue Google for theft

The viewscreen on Star Trek (TNG and onward) had this, and it was a cool feature that was so subtle that a lot of people who watched the show missed it. When someone on the viewer was shown from a side-angle, the perspective was correct, and it looked like you were viewing them from the side (as opposed to just having the same flat image for everyone).

:messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

Top Bottom