• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia Overpromised On What It Could Do, Says Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick says that Google Stadia overpromised on its technology, and didn't seem to expand the market like it had hoped. In a talk at the Bernstein Annual Strategic Decisions Conference, Zelnick explained why the company had supported the release of streaming, and he doesn't sound positive on the platform so far.

"Streaming technology is upon us," he said. "The launch of Stadia has been slow. I think there was some overpromising on what the technology could deliver and some consumer disappointment as a result."

Most of his comments, though, were focused on the business aspect. Zelnick was critical on that point as well, appearing to suggest that it doesn't have immediate plans for Stadia and stressing that it wasn't the "game-changer" it was made out to be.

"Anytime you broaden distribution you potentially broaden your audience, which is why we supported the release of Stadia with three titles initially and will continue to support high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense. Over time I believe streaming will work... The belief that streaming was going to be transformative was based on a view that there were loads of people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case."

He also emphasized that subscription models and streaming are two different things that don't necessarily connect--you can have a subscription model without streaming, as in Game Pass, or streaming without a subscription, like Stadia. In the past, Zelnick has been bullish on streaming and skeptical of subscriptions.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony (bought Gaikai), MS and now Google have been trying to force feed a video game streaming business model down the masses throats and consumers continue to say..... wait... NO.
Yeah I really hope the Xbox bosses haven't sold the future of their division on xCloud reaching *dr_evil.jpg* BILLIONS of consumers but I half suspect they have. They get their CEO excited because it ties into their cloud initiatives nicely but who the fuck is asking for it at the scale they are predicting it to sell? lol

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Sony (bought Gaikai), MS and now Google have been trying to force feed a video game streaming business model down the masses throats and consumers continue to say..... wait... NO.
XCloud is in beta currently and has hundreds of thousands of users in a limited rollout. iOS is virtually non-existent and it's not available on PC or Console. Not sure if this is a sarcasm or you just have no idea what you're talking about. I think it's the latter.

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
They always do. Every streaming service says that they figured it out, and none of them have. We are talking about basic physical reality, muh negative latency aside.

IMO the real problem with Stadia is that they promised "10 teraflops", but every game runs at or below One X levels.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Speaking about Stadia but commenting on a more broader question around Streaming.

"Anytime you broaden distribution you potentially broaden your audience, which is why we supported the release of Stadia with three titles initially and will continue to support high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense. Over time I believe streaming will work... The belief that streaming was going to be transformative was based on a view that there were loads of people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case."

I feel the same. I don’t see how it’s sensible for example to expect people to flock over to plug a controller to a smartphone. Sounds like a pipe dream scenario.

Last edited:

jakinov

There's nothing to really drive a lot of people to adopt Stadia right now. There's over a hundred million consoles out there right now and the most popular games in the last year or so has been old games (Fornite and Minecraft) that's basically already available everywhere (including mobile). People aren't going to be compelled to play old games that are no longer relevant (e.g. Tomb Raider, Destiny, RDR2) or buy Stadia games for the same price if they already have a platform they can play games on. As games become only available on next-gen consoles Stadia should at least get more traction; or if they can release a game exclusively that really entices people.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I did the two month stadia thing since it was free and couldn't get it to work reliably in any capacity. The lack of any ability to tweak settings in the browser is beyond dumb. Even When I did the lowest quality it just couldn't keep the stream at a constant rate. Why it doesn't adjust on the fly is super strange as well.

It just doesn't seem done.

Seemed pretty clear that they weren’t delivering off the bat when Destiny 2 was at medium settings (I think it was Destiny 2)

I think streaming has a long way to go

also I think our boy IP might have posted this

Teslerum

Speaking about Stadia but commenting on a more broader question around Streaming.

I feel the same. I don’t see how it’s sensible for example to expect people to flock over to plug a controller to a smartphone. Sounds like a pipe dream scenario.

To be fair, this is the same game that said they won't go exclusive, then 1 1/2 month later went Epic exclusive for future releases. So, no strangers to shifting opinions.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the No Man's Sky business model is going to die down soon.

The only people I'm sorry for is the people that actually worked on trying to make the bullshit promised a reality.
Even thought I'm sure they must've believed that too, at some point, it was clear, especially at launch how much they understood everyone's outrage/disappointment, since they probably went through the same thing, too.

xool

people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console, but were ok with spunking up $99 a year to fiddle about with a chromecast dongle just to get it to fucking work, and then still pay full price for the fucking games. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case
fixed

MacReady13

No- this is what these companies want, not the majority of us. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but no console gamers I've spoken to would prefer streaming only over having a dedicated box under their tv playing games. Stop telling us what YOU want and making out as if it's what WE want...

thelastword

Banned
Oh Oh! so that overpromise backfired..........Hmmm, where have I seen this before? :unsure:

Overpromising, being ridiculous with the capabilities of a piece of kit is sure to kick in the ass, when your promises are not fulfilled. The Stadia guys said 4k 60fps, they said the experience would be better than high end PC's and even more capable. Sell your hardware for what it is, not on wishes and dreams...…

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom