• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gohan sucks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
He was a bust but you make it seem like he’s not a stud and still young I’m taking Gohan because of his daddy
goku GIF

fatmarco

Most of what's been said here already is spot on. For me Dragon Ball Z ended after the cell saga. The themes of the show, the build up all climaxed there and the IPs corpse has been continuously resurrected just to make money and satisfy its simp Goku fans by making everyone else more and more irrelevant.

Majin Vegeta beats Goku? Nah, Goku was secretly super saiyan 3 and holding back. Fucking. Garbage.

Also as a side note, something that doesn't get brought up enough is how there really cannot be a better end game villain than cell. Whatever Goku, Vegeta etc. can achieve, Cell can plus more. He was the best villain by far, so why aren't we seeing him return?

Man, the entire Buu saga simply went on for too long. Majin Vegeta, Gotenks, Super Saiyan 3 Goku and Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks, Mystic Gohan, Vegito, Super Buu absorbing the heroes like he was just another Cell, then Kid Buu fighting Goku and Goku taking an eternity to throw the Spirit Bomb because everybody in the universe needed to chip in and lend their energy. Kid Buu was small but that's how Akira Toriyama wanted to portray the most powerful villain.

And then when you think it's over... no. Goku fights young Uub (Kid Buu reincarnated) in a tournament ten years later and then he leaves everyone to train the kid. But before that fight even happens, there is the entirety of Dragon Ball Super which also includes the new Broly movie. Just kind of crazy to think about how much they continue to add to the series.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The only memorable part of Gohan vs Cell is the Kamehameha clash.

I don't know why some fans loved Gohan so much. He was the most boring, wet blanket, white rice mother fucker on the show.

Call it cowardly, but Toriyama choosing to have Goku and Vegeta being the heroes of the Buu saga was the wise choice. It completed the arc to their friendship and rivalry that began in the first Saga of DBZ. It also was fitting that Buu was defeated by the Spirit Bomb conjured by the energy from the people of Earth. For once, humanity saved themselves. It was a fitting end, to what was an underwhelming final saga.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

I’ve forgotten most of the buu saga and never got around to watching GT in it’s entirety, there is apparently new dragon ball something where Goku has blue hair. Do I need to start it all over again?

K' Dash

I’ve forgotten most of the buu saga and never got around to watching GT in it’s entirety, there is apparently new dragon ball something where Goku has blue hair. Do I need to start it all over again?

go watch battle of the gods movie and decide if you want more.

GAMETA

Banned
Maybe fans wouldn't have been as opposed to him taking over if Toriyama had made him more likable and less of a little bitch.
Well, that was the build up of the character. Kid Gohan is a worthless crybaby, but then, by understanding his role and to save those he loved, he trains hard to become one of the most badass characters in the series (Cell arc).

Toriyama could've used him to implement deeper themes into Dragon Ball. He's a pacifist, he's philosophical... that could be used to give a lot of depth to the story, but the fanbase wanted more action and action and action...

On a parallel, it's the same with Shingeki no Kyojin and and other shonnens that go deeper into politics and philosophy. There's amazing plot development, but the biggest part of the fanbase keeps on whining that they want more action... Men-children fanbase, what else can you expect?

Last edited:
Blue, red, pink, green (not really new though), raging yellow, silver. And that was just Dragon Ball Super, which ended in 2018.

The current series is Super Dragon Ball Heroes. It is non-canon like GT.

Last edited:
From day one Chi Chi, who was a great warrior herself before Gohan, was adamant in forcing Gohan to study instead of embracing Goku’s fighting culture. Eventually she would give up and then Gohan became a great warrior.
JointPoisedLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif
At the end of the Cell Games, Gohan had surpassed everyone and was poised to replace Goku as the main character in Dragonball Z.
3bdbb3e0018eb67699a09dc5389222302ecd3723_hq.gif

This was deemed unacceptable by the fans and so the editors made Toriyama change Gohan during the production of the Buu saga, and thus Gohan became this.
SizzlingDizzyHoiho-small.gif
This narrative would make sense...if it were true....or that this has become the narrative history want to fall on...

The actual narrative during the Cell saga was teen Gohan's ENTIRE stance before fighting Cell... was non violence, a mentality Chi Chi put in him.

it wasn't that he "surpassed everyone" that fans disliked, it was him fighting but not wanting to what fans admired.

the dislike you have for him is against Toriyama in seeing fans adoring Gohan as the nonviolent character and rewriting him as so.

this narrative makes sense because Future Gohan is that of the Gohan who actually surpasses everyone.
EAcxQnx.png

Last edited:

Fbh

Well, that was the build up of the character. Kid Gohan is a worthless crybaby, but then, by understanding his role and to save those he loved, he trains hard to become one of the most badass characters in the series (Cell arc).

Toriyama could've used him to implement deeper themes into Dragon Ball. He's a pacifist, he's philosophical... that could be used to give a lot of depth to the story, but the fanbase wanted more action and action and action...

On a parallel, it's the same with Shingeki no Kyojin and and other shonnens that go deeper into politics and philosophy. There's amazing plot development, but the biggest part of the fanbase keeps on whining that they want more action... Men-children fanbase, what else can you expect?

I mean sure I get the buildup part. But it could have been done better, have Gohan be an annoying crybaby in the Saiyan Saga but then give him a character arc that makes viewers slowly start liking him as time goes on.
But IMO it didn't happen, Gohan is an annoying little bitch for the entire Saiyan and Frieza saga as well as like 95% of the cell saga. I understand audiences not wanting the focus to shift to the character they've probably not been liking for the past 3 story arcs.

Pejo

Speaking of, I haven't watched anything since the Buu saga. What ever happened to Goten? I don't see anything about him in the few SUPER/GT images and memes floating around. Did he die?

On topic - I actually liked Gohan, but the Great Saiyaman stuff was absolute garbage. I like the idea of seeing him later come back in John Wick fashion after something really bad happens and he gets serious.

Owari

Speaking of, I haven't watched anything since the Buu saga. What ever happened to Goten? I don't see anything about him in the few SUPER/GT images and memes floating around. Did he die?

On topic - I actually liked Gohan, but the Great Saiyaman stuff was absolute garbage. I like the idea of seeing him later come back in John Wick fashion after something really bad happens and he gets serious.
Goten aged down and kinda sucks now. DB needs a time skip cause I feel Teen Gotenks would kick ass.

Shaqazooloo

GT Goten went on a date and kind of had a fight I guess... Everything else from him was just him being mind-controlled by a evil guy named Baby.

Super Goten is less than a joke tbh. Never really gets screen-time and only really used for unfunny Gotenks fights. He and Trunks (kid) had a mini arc I guess but I remember those episodes being some of the worse the show had to offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom