• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall updated PS5 engine gameplay (looks to be improved)

GymWolf

Hmm
-looks generic
-its too souldbourney
-you have to have PSplus to play!
-its not colorful enough
-its too colorful
-the loading is only fast because its a respawn like CoD
-i hate the art
-$70
-Weird trailer reveal

I cannot understand all the hate for this game.... oh wait i got it

-Its not on Xbox!
The game is on pc too.

CuNi

Hmm
-looks generic
-its too souldbourney
-its not colorful enough
-its too colorful
-i hate the art
-$70
-Weird trailer reveal

-Its not on Xbox!

Because criticism can only mean someone is jealous. Right.
Some of the points you jokingly wrote down are quit valid points, but that obviously wouldn't fit your narrative.

CuNi

There is no "investment" in Gamepass though. Like All pay-for-play subscriber services Its literally dead money. Stop paying and its all gone.

Though if we're honest, in today's day and age, there is rarely a game that people play over and over again.
99% of the time, you play through it once, maybe go back to get some Achievements/Triumphs and then it's just sitting there.
For those games and types of people, game pass really is bang for buck because they get to play more games without having to either pay a big amount of money to have all the games or having to deal with reselling.
I for one only buy a few games that I really like and I want to have and to keep them, but I know many friends that are just "one time" players and they all would hugely benefit from gamepass.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I got excited then saw some of the ps5 Japanese YouTube stuff and dreams came crashing down. Looked so dull. Might get it if hits a sale in epic but after avengers and anthem my dream of a destiny alternative seems dead. Also destiny expasion comes out a few days before anyways.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Though if we're honest, in today's day and age, there is rarely a game that people play over and over again.
99% of the time, you play through it once, maybe go back to get some Achievements/Triumphs and then it's just sitting there.
For those games and types of people, game pass really is bang for buck because they get to play more games without having to either pay a big amount of money to have all the games or having to deal with reselling.
I for one only buy a few games that I really like and I want to have and to keep them, but I know many friends that are just "one time" players and they all would hugely benefit from gamepass.

Honestly, I'm not sure how true that is. I get the sense that for a great many casual players they literally have a game or two that they play almost exclusively.

My thought is that something like Gamepass appeals most strongly to people who consider themselves to be more "hardcore", in the sense that they are die-hards who want to play everything they can. Unfortunately I feel that this is going to be bad news for more niche games, whereas the big-name annual franchises are going to be minimally affected.

GymWolf

I think it could look better if the player wasn't soo horrible, it's painfull to watch.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

No sir, I will not take the bait.

(I took the bait)

I thought it was a good one :messenger_beaming:

tenor.gif

Because criticism can only mean someone is jealous. Right.
Some of the points you jokingly wrote down are quit valid points, but that obviously wouldn't fit your narrative.
I know there are vaild complaints but the nitpicking this game has seen is beyond ridiculous and the majority of it is coming from a crowd that never intended to buy it in the first place. For a launch title to me it looks pretty above average. Gameplay looks solid, story looks solid, gfx look soild, audio sounds good.. all around seems pretty solid and for people to nitpick the way they are i dont know what else to tell you. I also understand this game isn't for everyone and if its not for "you" dont hop in every thread and bash it.

CuNi

I know there are vaild complaints but the nitpicking this game has seen is beyond ridiculous and the majority of it is coming from a crowd that never intended to buy it in the first place. For a launch title to me it looks pretty above average. Gameplay looks solid, story looks solid, gfx look soild, audio sounds good.. all around seems pretty solid and for people to nitpick the way they are i dont know what else to tell you. I also understand this game isn't for everyone and if its not for "you" dont hop in every thread and bash it.

I dunno, I think voicing his criticism and opinion even when not buying something is still valid.
What I think you rather meant is trying to talk someone down because he enjoys the game and someone else does not. Thats a no-no, I agree.

But dismissing people who "nitpick" about things on this game as "a crowd that never intended to buy this game in the first place" is literally creating a echo chamber. You should ask yourself "why do those people not want to get this game?"
I mean if those people would have nothing to complain about this game then they would surely buy it. So the people nitpicking and complaining are exactly those people that tell you why they don't buy this game and it is a criticism that is completely valid as if those points would not exist, said person would have bought this game.

Let's take me as a example. I have no interest in this game. Why? Because for me graphics are way oversaturated in terms of color. It just looks ugly for me and the gameplay (from what was showed so far) didn't look enjoying nor appealing to me. If they would make a, for my personal taste, more appealing art-style and improve the battle system, I'd propably get it once the price is right. Does that mean I think no one should enjoy this game? Hell no. It's just not my thing but good for everyone who does pick up this game and enjoy it.

Because guys let's face it. Playing games and having a good time is what it all comes down to.

I dunno, I think voicing his criticism and opinion even when not buying something is still valid.
What I think you rather meant is trying to talk someone down because he enjoys the game and someone else does not. Thats a no-no, I agree.

But dismissing people who "nitpick" about things on this game as "a crowd that never intended to buy this game in the first place" is literally creating a echo chamber. You should ask yourself "why do those people not want to get this game?"
I mean if those people would have nothing to complain about this game then they would surely buy it. So the people nitpicking and complaining are exactly those people that tell you why they don't buy this game and it is a criticism that is completely valid as if those points would not exist, said person would have bought this game.

Let's take me as a example. I have no interest in this game. Why? Because for me graphics are way oversaturated in terms of color. It just looks ugly for me and the gameplay (from what was showed so far) didn't look enjoying nor appealing to me. If they would make a, for my personal taste, more appealing art-style and improve the battle system, I'd propably get it once the price is right. Does that mean I think no one should enjoy this game? Hell no. It's just not my thing but good for everyone who does pick up this game and enjoy it.

Because guys let's face it. Playing games and having a good time is what it all comes down to.
So if the games not for you why come into a thread about the game? Just to bash it because its not to your taste? Seems shallow

CuNi

So if the games not for you why come into a thread about the game? Just to bash it because its not to your taste? Seems shallow

Because a thread about game X is if you'd have noticed not just about the game.
I've seen talk about gamepass, our talk and mostly only either "I'll pick this up" or "Nah I'll pass" in various shapes or forms in this thread so far.
I'm a gamer, just because I don't like the artstyle or gameplay of a game, doesn't mean I'm not interested in its progress, features etc.
Maybe it looks like shit but would have great gameplay? Maybe the other way around? Maybe it's not my cup of tea but it features a awesome tech-feat that I could like and wish for in other games?

Because a thread about game X is if you'd have noticed not just about the game.
I've seen talk about gamepass, our talk and mostly only either "I'll pick this up" or "Nah I'll pass" in various shapes or forms in this thread so far.
I'm a gamer, just because I don't like the artstyle or gameplay of a game, doesn't mean I'm not interested in its progress, features etc.
Maybe it looks like shit but would have great gameplay? Maybe the other way around? Maybe it's not my cup of tea but it features a awesome tech-feat that I could like and wish for in other games?
Im not going to speculate or engage with the first part of your post because thats just off topic bait.

As far as the second part goes, so let me get this right; you think to yourself hmm i dislike this game for a personal reason. My opinion is more valid than others so i need to join this thread, in which the topic being discussed i have no interest in, to disrupt the "echo chamber". but im the one with a narrative?

VN1X

Banned
Why are people saying it will go free-to-play when it's not even a GAAS game? That's like saying Trials of Mana will go F2P because... reasons?

GymWolf

------->

Your head

Unintentionally hilarious.

I'm reserving judgement. If it's fun to loot then this could be a great launch game to help get me to ratchet.
Same, i'm giving the game any chance of surprise me, i love slasher and i love loot.

Still lost about that "your head" joke tho.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
This game looks bad in my opinion. It may be surprisingly fun but the art design is all over the place, combat doesn't look impactful and the whole marketing/story angle feels like complete shlock of a story.

I think it only has a chance as an early next gen exclusive cause there's nothing truly innnovative here otherwise.

CuNi

Im not going to speculate or engage with the first part of your post because thats just off topic bait.

As far as the second part goes, so let me get this right; you think to yourself hmm i dislike this game for a personal reason. My opinion is more valid than others so i need to join this thread, in which the topic being discussed i have no interest in, to disrupt the "echo chamber". but im the one with a narrative?

No, I say it's valid to go into a thread about a game I don't personally think I'll enjoy and maybe say things like "Hm, gameplay looks like fun but the graphics aren't for me" or so. How would that be different than people coming in this thread and saying "Day 1!!". Threads about games are also mostly just 1 time replies and then people never come back to that thread except if they have a conversation with someone like we have. I'm not saying that it's okay to go into a thread just to say "lol shit game" or something like that. I'm not here to devalue your game nor talk it down for you but since it's a thread about game X I should be allowed to give my opinion about said game X.

JCK75

It
Hmm
-looks generic
-its too souldbourney
-its not colorful enough
-its too colorful
-i hate the art
-$70
-Weird trailer reveal

-Its not on Xbox!

As a PC gamer who can get this game, I don't think it's hate so much as.. this game just looks so generic and uninteresting I could not imagine being excited to pay $70 for it... you can say his is because it's not on Xbox but I say it's the opposite, if it were not a PS5 major exclusive I just don't think anyone would give it a second look.

It

As a PC gamer who can get this game, I don't think it's hate so much as.. this game just looks so generic and uninteresting I could not imagine being excited to pay $70 for it... you can say his is because it's not on Xbox but I say it's the opposite, if it were not a PS5 major exclusive I just don't think anyone would give it a second look.
It being a PlayStation "exclusive" and thats why people care is the the exact same thing as saying its not on xbox and thats why people care lol so we agree then.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
What happened to the 60fps? Art style isn't my bag and looks boring. It's like a $20 game to me.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Definitely flashier then previous showings.

Enemies still seem dumb as rocks though.

Overall, I am more curious about the game at least. Though I'm not sure I'll purchase it because...well one I failed to get a PS5 pre-ordered, but also....Cyberpunk.

sendit

Personally, I think it comes down to talent and familiarity. I think most Western developers are more familiar with shooting mechanics and PC-style games that favor mouse and keyboard controls that don’t really require the same amount of strict, frame-heavy and in-depth programming like a DMC, Ninja Gaiden or Tekken. Japanese developers seem more used to console style games that favor the controller which require fast reflexes, smooth frame transitions, depth and responsive combat. Hack and slash, close combat and fighting games in general are just normally more complicated to create and get “right”.

You are right though. That is a bit of a mystery why more Western developers haven’t really been able to pick up how Japanese combat works, feels and looks though after all these years. 🤔🤔

I loathe the Japanese style hack and slask games where auto lock or target lock is a thing. Makes the game un-enjoyable to me.

UnNamed

Banned
This game has the best use of RT reflections so far: are there but barely visible 'cause the materials. Not the "everything is a mirror" effect like many other games.

Grinchy

Banned
This video helps see the gameplay more clearly. I don't know why all the footage up to this point had been so low bitrate and muddy.

Whitecrow

Banned
Conversation between art director and senior programmer:

- Hey now we have ray tracing! How reflective do you want the surfaces to be?
- Mmm... yes
- I see... and what about motion blur level?
- Yes to that too
- I assume you will answer the same to the particle and light effects...
- Yes
- Dis gonna be fun...

Top Bottom