• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party game launch in PlayStation history

No amount of boosting ever helps arcane games. Their games are destined to flop no matter what.

This is unfortunately true and the Dishonored series is one of my all time favorites and I hate First Person games. It seems like even with the sony full blown marketing cycle, high review scores, and launching on ps5 in a time when nothing else big was coming out still couldn’t save Deathloop.

Gamepass probably is the best thing that could have ever happened for Arkane. i don’t see how they could survive without it.

nowhat

Call me crazy.
3oxRmGXbquXKz6DNPq.gif

(I mean, you asked for it)

Kvally

Banned
You think this game would have spent the same amount of time and money to make the game at the same quality level if they weren't asking $70 for it, but just as part of a subscription?
Why not? Forza Horizon 5 drips quality, massive content, media (and users) high praise, was released day one on Game Pass AND had record sales for ANY Forza game. Only the minority of gamers are subscribing to a subscription beyond online access.

Kvally

Banned
Look at the sales split. Look how cross-gen exclusives get a huge spike only when PS5 gets a restock.

Hardcore contributes to that, as does bundling GOWR day one. Not to mention, it's an awesome game. But I was merely pointing out facts. 140,000,000 vs 70,000,000 also contributes to more sales, as well as being an awesome game.

Let's see how Spider-Man 2 does. I don't think being on PS4 is helping sales as much as you believe.
Spider-Man 2 isn't on PS4. And Jim Ryan wouldn't support PS4 consoles if it wasn't helping their bottom line.

I'm part of the problem, I just keep buying these games!
But alpha daddy EA told me Single Player games are dead in the water...
that guy is clearly a genius!
Uncle Phil said it too.
Phil is a visionary because he knew there would be digital download games back in 2013 🤡.
Oh and all those how can Sony compete with Gamepass posts were especially hilarious now.
These are people who just wants a number of "games" instead of specific games.

You think this game would have spent the same amount of time and money to make the game at the same quality level if they weren't asking $70 for it, but just as part of a subscription?

I sure don't. And that's why I hope Sony never puts first-party games day one on PS+.

Personally I still think Day 1 in PS+ would work but only for VERY specific games. I'm talking mid-AA type of stuff like a new Tomba or Parappa/UmJammer (I won't ever give up hoping these come back some day). Games that would have no presence at retail and maybe moderate digital sales, but could bring content to the service and be quite inexpensive to produce overall.

Although I guess the counterargument to that would be, if those sort of games couldn't draw enough a customer base to buy at retail or pick them up digitally, there isn't much they could do for boosting subscription numbers because it's not like the mass-appeal and/or quality suddenly gets a boost simply by being in the service. Even with nostalgia for certain games, it would only probably go as far. Sony probably also don't want their gaming brand 1P-wise to be associated with Day 1 software releases into a service in general because some might see it as a slippery slope.

I mean, we kind of see this in action right now, just look at Pentiment on GamePass. It's not a big seller, it hasn't cracked the Top 50 Most Played on Xbox, and has a 0.3% completion rate. Whether that's an argument to its quality or mass-market appeal (or both) is up to the individual.

Fredrik

Deserved and I've noticed it's making a lot of people check out the Series. 3 different friends all playing the 2018 title.
Yeah I’ve had this happen too, 2 of my friends are playing GOW2018 on PC, both loving it, I’m thinking there will be a nice sales boost for Ragnarök too once it’s on PC.

TLOU Part 2 had a few issues working against it that were mostly unique unto that game. The plot leaks (quite a few which were fake), bad faith Xbox & PCMR actors weirdly colluding with anti-SJW content-creator grifters to push the game as a far-left agenda hit piece, driving negative discussion around the game for months before its release. Then the Jason Schreir report on crunch & working conditions at ND during that time and, I think, kind of the genuine shock at Joel's death from a big segment of the fanbase (the "normies" otherwise 100% removed from the BS culture war and console war toxicity)...

I think all of those things together may've hurt TLOU Part 2, unfairly so. I'm mildly curious if ND ever retcon Joel's death in a Part 2 "Director's Cut" or something, although I think that would be asking too much. They could just alter the way he dies slightly, where maybe he goes out like a bit more of a badass at the very least, and that would probably be enough for most of the folks who are still kind of miffed with his death.

But something else I've observed is ever since then, it seems like certain circles only gather 'round the wagon to try spoiling Sony SP games specifically. We just saw them try it again with GOW Ragnarok! But I can't think of many (if any) other SP games where circles of people are trying to spoil the stories online. Didn't happen with Plague Tale: Requiem for example, or Pentiment more recently.

We should acknowledge that the main reason it's even a thing with Sony 1P SP games is because it's likely Xbox & PCMR chugs wanting to desperately spoil hype for games not coming to their platform, that are from Sony. It's really that simple, and it's pathetic. And for them it's just another way to try drumming up a narrative against those game, they tried it earlier in the year with HFW (if it weren't for Elden Ring releasing near its date or the early technical issues existing, we'd of definitely seen the usual suspects trying to spoil HFW's story big-time).

I'm also thinking about it now and, yeah, there actually a ton in the way of traditional advertising for Ragnarok, was there? I don't watch a ton of TV these days but maybe there were some TV adverts. I know they had the Ben Stiller/John Travolta/Lebron James etc. online advert/skit though.

But I think it's also like Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami said; GOW can just sell itself at this point and PS5 is just naturally in the spotlight now. Splatoon 3 broke sales records too and I don't recall much any traditional advertising for that game; Scarlet & Violet are the fastest-selling Pokemon games in history are there's absolutely nothing in the way of traditional advertisements for them, either.

There are just certain IP that can sell on their brand name alone, and GOW is one of those at this point. They could also be saving adverts for a month or two down the road because the hardcore & core of the fanbase are going to jump in early on no matter what. But once those first three or so months pass is probably when adverts start rolling out to get down-the-road casuals & mainstream to pick it up (although some of them are probably picking it up right now, too).

Absolutely great post. The side stuff had a huge impact on TLOU2. Not a perfect game, but I do think it was a great generational game none the less. Didn't deserve what happened to it. The timing with Ghost actually probably hurt TLOU2 to a degree as well.

I think you called it perfectly. In the age of streaming, you have to advertise differently.

Great let’s hope Sony, don’t give up what’s unique about the PlayStation, when they start making big bucks from live service games.

Multiplayer is important for revenue but not really prestige. You need single player games to get people invested in the platform, the movies and tv shows are apart of that and those bank on the single player narrative style games

Last edited:

Pelta88

Insane numbers. It's a phenomenal game but I didn't expect 5.1 million in a week.

That's multiplat numbers.

Last edited:
Sony needs to be VERY careful about who will be their live action Kratos. It's their most consistently successful long running original IP at the moment.

I think Gerard Butler is the safe pick and I think Travis Fimmel is the perfect pick. They'll probably get Jason Mamoa, which I think is a mistake and leans into the oversaturation of his acting choices with Game of Thrones, Aquaman, See, and Dune.

Edit: Tom Hardy is actually the perfect choice if you could get him to commit to a long-running series.

TLOU dropped off for political reasons and the leak. Ragnarok will continue to sell unabated as the #1 game until probably Hogwarts Legacy. It'll struggle to keep pace with Elden Ring because it's only on PlayStation consoles, but I think 12 million by the end of January is feasible with real drop-off afterward.

Tom Hardy is actually a good pick if you cosoider his overall appeareance and his acting in Fury Road.

This is unfortunately true and the Dishonored series is one of my all time favorites and I hate First Person games. It seems like even with the sony full blown marketing cycle, high review scores, and launching on ps5 in a time when nothing else big was coming out still couldn’t save Deathloop.

Gamepass probably is the best thing that could have ever happened for Arkane. i don’t see how they could survive without it.

Some games just have that "je ne sais quoi" and some don't I guess :/

I think it might also be that with Arkane's stuff, the games are good (great even in some cases from accounts), but they don't do a lot to stand out clearly ahead of other similar titles in a crowded space. FPS games in general are already a pretty crowded market, and we'll have had at least two other vampire-themed co-op MP shooters by the time RedFall drops (Back 4 Blood and that Vampire: The Masquerades PvP (I think) spinoff) by the time it releases.

Nostalgia-wise I think the game people still hold as the gold standard for that genre & theme of game is Left 4 Dead which is over a decade old, but kind of shows the power of quality (and nostalgia) and hitting at the right time when the market isn't so saturated with that type of game. I'd be interesting if Arkane brought their experience to a third-person view type of game, or even over-the-shoulder third-person style like RE4.

And, maybe with a theme that'd be considered more novel than just vampire or general sci-fi. Maybe then they could have some games with more commercial success at retail.

Tom Hardy is actually a good pick if you cosoider his overall appeareance and his acting in Fury Road.

I think Fury Road, Warrior, and Dark Knight Rises are great examples of why he would make a great Kratos. Slightly older than you'd want at this time, but otherwise, a great option. Better name rec than Travis Fimmel would help get eyeballs on it.

I think Hardy's career has fallen off a bit so this would be a great way to get back up there. Too bad Amazon got the rights to this, but it could be worse. You generally want Netflix, HBO, or Amazon. What you really have to worry about is Twisted Metal, which is going to be bad.

I think Fury Road, Warrior, and Dark Knight Rises are great examples of why he would make a great Kratos. Slightly older than you'd want at this time, but otherwise, a great option. Better name rec than Travis Fimmel would help get eyeballs on it.

I think Hardy's career has fallen off a bit so this would be a great way to get back up there. Too bad Amazon got the rights to this, but it could be worse. You generally want Netflix, HBO, or Amazon. What you really have to worry about is Twisted Metal, which is going to be bad.

Oh Amazon's doing a GOW series? After the disaster that was Rings of Power, not exactly inspired confidence.

OTOH, they also have The Boys which a ton of people love, critics and fans alike. And AFAIK, the issues with RoP (besides bad writers) was that Amazon didn't pay out for the rights to LOTR material aside from the novels, so there's a lot of lore they legally can't even use. I don't think they should have any problems like that with GOW.

Oh Amazon's doing a GOW series? After the disaster that was Rings of Power, not exactly inspired confidence.

OTOH, they also have The Boys which a ton of people love, critics and fans alike. And AFAIK, the issues with RoP (besides bad writers) was that Amazon didn't pay out for the rights to LOTR material aside from the novels, so there's a lot of lore they legally can't even use. I don't think they should have any problems like that with GOW.

They also do invincible and The Boys (another Sony property) so im more optimistic about that then Horizon on Netflix.

They also do invincible and The Boys (another Sony property) so im more optimistic about that then Horizon on Netflix.

And they also did the first season for The Legend of Vox Machina, which I enjoyed a lot, so yeah generally Amazon have a good track record for adaptations. I generally think Rings of Power's problem was them not getting access to works like the Silmarillion, and whatever they had to pay for the rights they managed to secure, meant going with cheap (and bad) writers.

They technically have time to fix the mistakes with the 1st season and hopefully they do. But outside of RoP, they've been pretty consistent. I have at least a bit of faith in Netflix with Horizon, if that's going to be a CG series. Less so if it's live-action; I would just hope it's entertaining like Day Shift in any case.

Absolutely great post. The side stuff had a huge impact on TLOU2. Not a perfect game, but I do think it was a great generational game none the less. Didn't deserve what happened to it. The timing with Ghost actually probably hurt TLOU2 to a degree as well.

I think you called it perfectly. In the age of streaming, you have to advertise differently.

Dang, I had forgotten about Ghosts in all of that but it also maybe played a part, for sure. Didn't they release just a couple of months apart?

Unfortunately I remember saying some stupid stuff about TLOU2 back then that in retrospect I shouldn't of, including trying to compare it narratively solely against other, actual films.

Which, if anyone's doing that, should probably do so with every game's story. It was also disingenuous to do then considering people played the game just as much for the set pieces, game mechanics and gunplay as they did the story itself. A reason I thought Eurogamer's review for TLOU1 Remake was so stupid in a lot of ways.

As far as marketing's concerned, the craziest part is that Sony didn't even have a State of Play for Ragnarok, but they seemingly didn't need one, either. Just shows the level of goodwill people have towards the IP and SSM at this point.

Still a bit disappointed there hasn't been a Showcase, though. I just hope they do something for E3 next year.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yeah I’ve had this happen too, 2 of my friends are playing GOW2018 on PC, both loving it, I’m thinking there will be a nice sales boost for Ragnarök too once it’s on PC.
And on PlayStation once they all complete the first. I keep telling them they should start the series with GOW3 remastered.

nowhat

And AFAIK, the issues with RoP (besides bad writers) was that Amazon didn't pay out for the rights to LOTR material aside from the novels, so there's a lot of lore they legally can't even use.
As I've understood it (and as it is way past midnight here and I already should be asleep, can't be arsed to google references, so take this as you will) it's not that Bezos/Amazon didn't pay out for the rights, but rather the Tolkien estate was unwilling to sell them. Silmarillion would have made for some great source material (the book is boring as fuck, but there's all kinds of lore to work with), but the estate said "nuh-uh". So basically all the show has is some handwaving about a certain era without any concrete (both literally and figuratively) foundation to build on. And it shows.

Top Bottom