• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyliethicc

Same world where this happened

FaKnv47.png
3Fwqfu3.png

Animated GIF

TheTony316

German here. Ragnarok just received a 97 from one of our biggest and longest running gaming outlets. It's the highest score they've ever given.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
Google translate of True Gaming review "Arabic site" imply game is great but not flawless

Sometimes I felt that the game stretches for too much time in the story mode, as the equation of lanes and repetitive combat becomes a bit annoying as if its goal is to extend the time only.

There is no doubt that everyone who liked the first part will find everything that interests him and his love in this new part. It is a direct and true sequel to everything related to the previous part. Perhaps the game does not look much different environmentally and visually compared to the previous part, but is it important?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Eh not really.

No? Is there extra content for the PS5 version? Additional missions? What's so different about it other than a graphical preset? Core game seems to be exactly the same.

Why would a PCMR want to play at 30 tho?

Why would a PCMR want to play 60? Maybe because when the game is stuck on console you don't really have a choice?

Question: What's extra in the Launch edition? Is it worth getting just to have an uglier cover art?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No? Is there extra content for the PS5 version? Additional missions? What's so different about it other than a graphical preset? Core game seems to be exactly the same.

Why would a PCMR want to play 60? Maybe because when the game is stuck on console you don't really have a choice?

Question: What's extra in the Launch edition? Is it worth getting just to have an uglier cover art?
It has a 120hz mode unlocked with VRR. Game will probably run 80/90-120.

I played GoW 2018 on a whim back in 2021 and super enjoyed it (and even went for 100%). I went in almost completely blind, and it turned out to be one of my favorites I played that year.

That said... Admittedly, I'm not as invested in the hype for this sequel, but I don't think it's unreasonable to at least look at what reviewers may be pointing at as some negatives. Like... dang, this thread be hostile
You're all taking offense or something with this comment now, but it's like a clock, wait and see a month or 2 we'll see the "GoW RANGAROK actually sucked" threads.

It's what happens when game reviewers pad out scores, then people that aren't typically into a certain genre buy a game that they won't like, but due to "peer pressure" or whatever their weak minds consider it, they buy a game outside their comfort zone genre, then they realize the reviewers weren't 100% honest or buried some of the worst points of the game and ignored them in their final scores.

Gamespot review

That's one of many glossed over issues that is in these reviews right now.

It speaks of flawed combat mechanics that are deep in the game's core.
Just want to say: I'm thinking this is also going to happen, to some extent. I think it'll be solid for sure, but in my case I'll also gladly wait for dust to settle a bit.

If Elden Ring and Tears of the Kingdom aren’t critically higher rated than GoW Ragnorok I’ll drink a pint of your cum.
The desperation to put down Sony games as they keep scoring ridiculously high time after time. "Yeah, well there was a game released before that was multi-platform and was a point higher on metacritic!"

I guess take your "wins" where you can.

Midn1ght

What a score! Congratulation to the team and my Sony brothers, seems like you have a gem in your hands!

I've got to play GOW 2018 at some point on PC, never actually finished a single God of War game.

Great reviews. I'll get this when it hits $40. Will give me time to move house, finally finish the last one (third time lucky) and setup my new UST projector.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Now let’s see how long it takes when people here start calling this game “overrated” because it’s seems every game that gets high score considered ”overrated“ one way or another.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't forget framerate

I'm the last person to forget about framerate on this forum, believe me. But when I play Spider-Man at 40FPS on Steam Deck I don't think "OMG IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME" Vs. 120+ FPS I get on my PC. It plays better on PC, yes, but to to say it's a different game is lunacy.

Topher

Gold Member
Now let’s see how long it takes when people here start calling this game “overrated” because it’s seems every game that gets high score considered ”overrated“ one way or anothe.

It is unfortunate people cannot just be honest and say "lots of people love this game, but it just wasn't for me". Apparently that is really hard.

Mikey Jr.

Not that it matters, but it's pretty much impossible for this to get under 93 at this point.

Not that I care or anything. Just for anyone else.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The desperation to put down Sony games as they keep scoring ridiculously high time after time. "Yeah, well there was a game released before that was multi-platform and was a point higher on metacritic!"

I guess take your "wins" where you can.

Let’s not forget that PlayStation first party has started getting push back for all kinds of bs. It has never been harder for them to appease. They are absolutely not getting any extra points for trying if you know what I mean.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm the last person to forget about framerate on this forum, believe me. But when I play Spider-Man at 40FPS on Steam Deck I don't think "OMG IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME" Vs. 120+ FPS I get on my PC. It plays better on PC, yes, but to to say it's a different game is lunacy.

But it isn't the "exact same game" either. Differences in fidelity and performance are actual differences.

Ellery

Awesome. Reviews and the technical side look sublime

Gonna play it at midnight next week. Have to get some snacks and other things for that release I hope !

Top Bottom