• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karish

I thought this was the best ep ever. I was starting to not want to watch the show, but this ep was just very well made.

Now where's my Marni GIF?

ivysaur12

Banned
So, what? Allison Williams is too good for boob shots? I'm gay and I want to see that.

Also, uh, Andrew Rannells has a much better body than I expected.

kingocfs

Is the gay guy paying for everything in their apartment? I don't think any of them have a job anymore so...
Yeah idk who is paying for it anymore, I think I missed something. I'd have to assume his boyfriend is just giving him money at this point.

Loved the premiere, love the show. It fulfills my guilty pleasure need of superficial story lines about young adult life while still being a quality show unlike most shows that deal with similar subject matter.

ivysaur12

Banned
Loved the premiere, love the show. It fulfills my guilty pleasure need of superficial story lines about young adult life while still being a quality show unlike most shows that deal with similar subject matter.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. These people have NO idea what their goals are, but even if they do, they have no practical plans towards realizing them. The consistent lack of any practical world knowledge is juxtaposed with these brilliant moments of clarity is one of my favorite aspects of the show. You can see them becoming people. They just need to fuck up a little more.

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@Variety_StuartL
'Girls' draws 866,000 for 9 p.m. showing last night for season premiere, 1.6 million for three telecasts. #girls #hbo

Pretty sure that's good considering it doesn't have the massive Game of Thrones lead-in, though my frame of reference for HBO is skewed.

vidcons

Banned
So I watched the first six episodes of season 1. This show is certainly interesting, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll watch the rest tomorrow.

Is it just me, or did Hanna's parents switch personalities half way through the season?

since the story follows hanna, capturing her life can be a sort of unreliable narrator since you only get the bits that matter to her

that usually means that someone is being a perceived jerk to her

GQman2121

Banned
Glover definitely felt a bit forced in this first appearance. Other than his little mention about how he and Hannah met, there was nothing for him to do.

Also, I couldn't help but feel like that opening scene was a direct response to the lack of diversity criticism the first season received. Like, you want see some minorities? Well here's a black dude sucking on my tits! Boom! Cue title screen. When the episode ended, that was my initial reaction anyway.

Timbuktu

I wonder if all of the mains would find their 'goals' and succeed if the show keeps going or if one or two would really fall off the rails, because unfortunately we all know someone like that,

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, what? Allison Williams is too good for boob shots? I'm gay and I want to see that.

Also, uh, Andrew Rannells has a much better body than I expected.

Marnie's tits are too good to share with anyone but me. So back off.

I can't believe I'll have to wait till the weekend to catch up.

I heard a clip from one of the next episodes on NPR, it's a conversation between Hannah and Donald Glover's character where race comes up. I don't want to spoil it but it's a pretty incisive and brutal mocking of Hannah's own privilege and a pretty sharp way to incorporate the criticism about race the show has gotten.

GG-Duo

Glover definitely felt a bit forced in this first appearance. Other than his little mention about how he and Hannah met, there was nothing for him to do.

Also, I couldn't help but feel like that opening scene was a direct response to the lack of diversity criticism the first season received. Like, you want see some minorities? Well here's a black dude sucking on my tits! Boom! Cue title screen. When the episode ended, that was my initial reaction anyway.

According to producer Jenni Konner on The Nerdist podcast, they started producing Season 2 before Season 1 came out, and they were already planning to address the race issue internally.

Croc

Banned

I kiiiind of felt the same way, though I don't really see what the problem with that is. She's reacting to the criticism head-on and fixing exactly what people were saying was wrong so even if it feels a tad bit forced it's all good in my book.

giga

"You really don't have to try to be anything that you're not"
"Neither do you"

Literally said GOT DAMN out loud.

Nice cover of "I'm goin down" by Vampire Weekend at the credits.

GusBus

I enjoyed the episode. The writing was solid, and it had enough cringe worthy moments for it to feel uniquely Girls (which, IMO, is a good thing). That said, there's a whole debate on the Gawk right now if the actress's privileged backgrounds (particularly Dunham) affect their portrayal of the characters. After giving it some thought, I think it's a ridiculous argument.

In any typical Hollywood film, I know the actors are paid millions of dollars to portray "real life" people in "everyday" lives. I suspend belief, and buy into the acting in order to enjoy the storytelling medium. I really don't think Girls is any different. So what if Lena and the crew never struggled to make it in Brooklyn? While it may be a tad pretentious (that whole "voice of the generation" crap), the end product is entertaining and I enjoy viewing it. I dunno. I think haters just need to lighten up and view Girls for what it is; a television show.

ivysaur12

Banned
I enjoyed the episode. The writing was solid, and it had enough cringe worthy moments for it to feel uniquely Girls (which, IMO, is a good thing). That said, there's a whole debate on the Gawk right now if the actress's privileged backgrounds (particularly Dunham) affect their portrayal of the characters. After giving it some thought, I think it's a ridiculous argument.

In any typical Hollywood film, I know the actors are paid millions of dollars to portray "real life" people in "everyday" lives. I suspend belief, and buy into the acting in order to enjoy the storytelling medium. I really don't think Girls is any different. So what if Lena and the crew never struggled to make it in Brooklyn? While it may be a tad pretentious (that whole "voice of the generation" crap), the end product is entertaining and I enjoy viewing it. I dunno. I think haters just need to lighten up and view Girls for what it is; a television show.

The irony of the "voice of the generation" line is that the show is acutely aware that Hannah is not the voice of her generation. The idea that the line could be taken at face value, not in the delicious irony of the fact that Hannah's own naiveté was on full display while arguing that she is the voice of her generation, is ridiculous. Even if it were a view point the show was advocating, Hannah ≠ Lena.

Rookje

The irony of the "voice of the generation" line is that the show is acutely aware that Hannah is not the voice of her generation. The idea that the line could be taken at face value, not in the delicious irony of the fact that Hannah's own naiveté was on full display while arguing that she is the voice of her generation, is ridiculous. Even if it were a view point the show was advocating, Hannah ≠ Lena.
The "voice of her generation" was a line given to show by the media, it wasn't marketed by HBO or the writers. Kind of unfortunate, because everyone has a different lifestyle so of course there are going to be a lot of people who say she doesn't represent them. I think it's been a cloud over the show since its debut.

Van Owen

Banned
Is this some sort of flesh colored bra or something?

ovQw6.png

Not that it was necessary since apparently she has sex with her elbows over her tits.

mr stroke

Is this some sort of flesh colored bra or something?

ovQw6.png

Not that it was necessary since apparently she has sex with her elbows over her tits.

Lol

either she is super uncomfortable with being topless or Duhnam is writing her as a massive prude. Who the hell has sex while covering their tits?

ivysaur12

Banned
The "voice of her generation" was a line given to show by the media, it wasn't marketed by HBO or the writers. Kind of unfortunate, because everyone has a different lifestyle so of course there are going to be a lot of people who say she doesn't represent them. I think it's been a cloud over the show since its debut.

Well, the whole irony of Hannah saying she's the "voice of her generation" (and then amending that statement) is that she's not. Her experience is limited. The ways in which she views the world are limited. Slowly, Hannah is finally experiences certain pains of life that can be more universal than those she's grown up with as a upper-middle class liberal white girl who thinks she gets it all because she went to Oberlin. She's learning about love, loss, money, accountability... these experiences, as blunt as they are to her, are shaping her into an adult. The show is about these four girls and their growth from painfully sheltered children into more aware adults.

But of course, people think that Lena thinks she's the voice of our generation. Which is bullshit. That will always exist over the show in certain circles as way to dismiss it, which completely misses the point.

inm8num2

It's marketing.

People want to see her nude, but she refrains. Attention paid toward her rises.

I obviously respect any person's decision to not reveal themselves, and I don't think anyone should feel pressured to go nude because some people on the internet need new fap material. But the way I see it, she's building "mystique" and becoming more popular.

Empty

there's plenty of good reasons for her not to, not everything attractive actresses do has to be interpreted through a straight male prism where if she does nudes she's attention whore and doesn't do nudes she's just doing it to make people want her more.

Yoshiya

I had a bet with myself as to how long it'd take for Losing You to show up this season. First ep! Though it deserved a scene as good as Dancing On My Own in S1.

I watched all of season 1 and the season 2 premiere in about 24 hours. I think I'm on board with this show.

Also, hello Andrew Rannells' ass.

Adam is the best character on the show. Poor Adam :(

I enjoyed the episode. There were lots of great lines and everyone seems to be on a pretty clear path. Except for Jessa. I dunno where that shit is going.

Apath

Well, the whole irony of Hannah saying she's the "voice of her generation" (and then amending that statement) is that she's not. Her experience is limited. The ways in which she views the world are limited. Slowly, Hannah is finally experiences certain pains of life that can be more universal than those she's grown up with as a upper-middle class liberal white girl who thinks she gets it all because she went to Oberlin. She's learning about love, loss, money, accountability... these experiences, as blunt as they are to her, are shaping her into an adult. The show is about these four girls and their growth from painfully sheltered children into more aware adults.

But of course, people think that Lena thinks she's the voice of our generation. Which is bullshit. That will always exist over the show in certain circles as way to dismiss it, which completely misses the point.
Is her family upper-middle class? Seemed to me that they were middle class, and thus couldn't afford to keep paying for Hannah's life-style.

kingocfs

Lol

either she is super uncomfortable with being topless or Duhnam is writing her as a massive prude. Who the hell has sex while covering their tits?

Dunham said on Letterman her dad often comes to the set and sits in on the filming. That's probably the best we'll get.

Amazing episode.
That was my fear, but I'm hoping Glover just exists to make Hannah realise how totally awesome Adam is.
She seemed to be having a blast with the Glover character, sex and otherwise. I like Adam too but he is a fucking caveman, he is BARELY nice to her, and I can see why she'd go outside that relationship. I know women like a bad boy from time to time but he is like one step away from carrying a club and dragging Hannah around by her hair. It's not like he has some sort of long list of redeeming characteristics. He is in good shape and has apparently made her "whole body feel like one big clitoris" but he treats her pretty badly. From what I saw of the Donald Glover character, I like it. I am all in on this show, have been from the first episode.

I had a bet with myself as to how long it'd take for Losing You to show up this season. First ep! Though it deserved a scene as good as Dancing On My Own in S1.
That is the best scene of the show in my opinion, I mean in the entire run of the show, and up there with scenes that I can name off the top of my head as blowing me away. I love that song, I loved that part, I loved the conversation after. That's a very high mark to beat.

dbztrk

Yup! Bingo!

GRIP

I doubt Adam is going anywhere. He was part of all the promotion shit prior to this season, so it wouldn't make sense for him to not be a significant part in this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom