• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GIFs: The GTAVI Trailer reaffirmed my faith in Rockstar's talent, boldness, creative direction & artistic ambition

Since the Trailer came out earlier this month, I've been completely fucking mindblown. Been watching this shit countless times just marveling at VI's world design & genius art direction.

The soul, aesthetics & vibe of Vice City..
SiREe.gif
SiRq9.gif
SiRqT.gif
SiRqu.gif
SiRmO.gif
SiRlw.gif
tower
SiRmD.gif

Satirical takes on modern society & culture..
SiRqR.gif
SiREX.gif
SiRmA.gif
SiRl3.gif

The fucking expanse & sense of scale..
SiRl7.gif
SiRqw.gif
SiRqN.gif

Insane density & level of detail..
SiRqd.gif
SiRq3.gif

And then the icing on the cake.
SiRqn.gif
SiR7p.gif
SiRqi.gif
SiREP.gif
SiRm5.gif
SiRuh.gif

Bruh
In an era where all kinds of hilarious design extremes are taken just to pander, these boys simply drop attractive, badass, sassy & natural characters all round. Zero fucks given.
The Rock Clapping GIF

Absolutely commendable. Hats off.

The passion to keep on pushing top-tier artistic vision.. The knack of staying bold & hard-ass.. Refreshing to see this level of balls & ambition is still present in the Western AAA Space.

My goddamn faith will be fully restored after sighting the inevitable Gameplay & Story trailers. But of this I'm certain: we have another grand, memorable, quality SP banger heading our way.

This is lit. You guys rock Rockstar
SiREB.gif
SiRqK.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to explore the current day hellscape of society and social media, I can just go outside or take a glance online. I'm not at all interested in this theme, but it seems I'm in the minority.

Last edited:

Hugare

OP, calm your tits

90% of the animations in GTA V's reveal trailer werent in the final game

The women checking the guy out while running, the guys coughing by the grape vines, the guy putting the "for sale" sign at the house, the guy being thrown out of the club and etc

Rockstar makes unique scenarios and animations in trailers to impress, but the games end up not being as dynamic as they look during the trailers

It will have these graphics, but wont be as "alive" as it seems on the trailer. I bet.

bitbydeath

OP, calm your tits

The women checking the guy out while running, the guys coughing by the grape vines, the guy putting the "for sale" sign at the house, the guy being thrown out of the club and etc

Rockstar makes unique scenarios and animations in trailers to impress, but the games end up not being as dynamic as they look during the trailers

It will have these graphics, but wont be as "alive" as it seems on the trailer. I bet.

Gotta keep the faith.
RDR2 started on the path of improving open worlds with dynamic AI, which Days Gone arguably blew that away and I can see them building on what they had and setting the new standard.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Same OP. The trailer has rekindled my interest in GTA and restored my confidence in Rockstar Games. I'm so hyped for the next chapter of GTA!

If I want to explore the current day hellscape of society and social media, I can just go outside or take a glance online. I'm not at all interested in this theme, but it seems I'm in the minority.
yeah, tho i'm still kinda interested, the game's definitely treading 'modern day video game set in a modern day video game' type waters, which's likely inevitable with the proliferation of social media slowly but surely absorbing us all...

gta vi: the digital world made flesh?...

Did you just gif the entire trailer? why?
i'm guessing because he could?...

WitchHunter

Banned
Since the Trailer came out earlier this month, I've been completely fucking mindblown. Been watching this shit countless times just marveling at VI's world design & genius art direction.

The soul, aesthetics & vibe of Vice City..
SiREe.gif
SiRq9.gif
SiRqT.gif
SiRqu.gif
SiRmO.gif
SiRlw.gif
tower
SiRmD.gif

Satirical takes on modern society & culture..
SiRqR.gif
SiREX.gif
SiRmA.gif
SiRl3.gif

The fucking expanse & sense of scale..
SiRl7.gif
SiRqw.gif
SiRqN.gif

Insane density & level of detail..
SiRqd.gif
SiRq3.gif

And then the icing on the cake.
SiRqn.gif
SiR7p.gif
SiRqi.gif
SiREP.gif
SiRm5.gif
SiRuh.gif

Bruh
In an era where all kinds of hilarious design extremes are taken just to pander, these boys simply drop attractive, badass, sassy & natural characters all round. Zero fucks given.
The Rock Clapping GIF

Absolutely commendable. Hats off.

The passion to keep on pushing top-tier artistic vision.. The knack of staying bold & hard-ass.. Refreshing to see this level of balls & ambition is still present in the Western AAA Space.

My goddamn faith will be fully restored after sighting the inevitable Gameplay & Story trailers. But of this I'm certain: we have another grand, memorable, quality SP banger heading our way.

This is lit. You guys rock Rockstar
SiREB.gif
SiRqK.gif
Graphics is becoming too close to real life, and that's not a good sign.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think it looks good I give a lot of credit to rockstar but no doubt graphics doesn’t make a great game.

EDMIX

Gotta keep the faith.
RDR2 started on the path of improving open worlds with dynamic AI, which Days Gone arguably blew that away and I can see them building on what they had and setting the new standard.

Thanks. Beat me to it.

Hugare Hugare yea, I was about to say...why would you list that and not RDR2? Red Dead 2 would be their latest work and that teaser and trailer very much shows things that occur in its open world.

Buggy Loop

Everything will depend to how it feels to move the character once you have a controller in your hands

Those graphics don't matter as much as you think if it ends up playing like garbage. I really hope they didn't go pure simulation in animations, etc.

Hugare

Gotta keep the faith.
Thanks. Beat me to it.

Hugare Hugare yea, I was about to say...why would you list that and not RDR2? Red Dead 2 would be their latest work and that teaser and trailer very much shows things that occur in its open world.

I've never seen 2 guys rowing a boat in the game, or a dog barking to some crows, or NPCs that are posing together so well as that shot at the "Worths General Store", for example

Maybe these scenes can happen, but I've never seen scenes so well put together during gameplay. That's 'cause they are touched up by Rockstar.

Animations arent AI generated yet, so they arent limitless. So even with a 2B budget and tons of animators, Rockstar cant make a truly dynamic world yet. During gameplay the world wont look and feel as alive as in the trailer, I bet.

But we will see, I might be wrong

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

OP, calm your tits

Says 90% of the animations were not there,

Proceeds to give 4 instances...

Robb

Gold Member
Didn’t impress me much, looks like a souped up RDR2 which is exactly what I expected. I find the social media theme to be kind of lazy just replicating real-world videos as well.

But it is what it is. In the end I’m just hoping they fix their controls and improve their mission designs.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
You derived all that from 90 seconds of in-engine (albeit most likely not running on any hw available for end-users and highly scripted), 6-months-polished trailer..?

Don't stake your money on trailers, kids..

SimTourist

OP, calm your tits

256 megabytes of RAM.

EDMIX

I've never seen 2 guys rowing a boat in the game, or a dog barking to some crows, or NPCs that are posing together so well as that shot at the "Worths General Store", for example

smh...99.9% of what you said is in the game though. Look, I'm not trying to be a bitch, stop making claims and arguing about stuff like this without actually looking it up to support your point

^ Keep in mind, I have no clue why you would say this, who the fuck did you think you are randomly stealing boats from? lol

The dogs not only bark at cows, other people, horse, sheep, they bark at a lot of shit lol You literally can see this in one of the first areas of the game and you can see this the area you find that fence where you bring your stolen goods to, they have dog that barks at animals they have, but shit...that isn't even some deep thing, the other animations in the game are much more complex.

The dogs bark at many things, they bark at anything you are herding, that doesn't really even have to do with a horse, cow or the animal, it will do it regardless.

For the general store, you have 4 people in front of it. 1 sitting on the steps, 2 sitting in the back on the porch and 1 on the left.

As far as I can gather, the only thing you have is the owner isn't in front of the store.....thats about it.

General-Store-e1546328497399.jpg

Fredrik

Art direction and world design i can get behind with.

But boldness? Their games are as cookie cutter as they come.
I guess this goes under art direction…But in an industry where most devs try to win political points by shaving off every curve from every body or even make women look like a headswapped man it is bold to have this much curves and even having nice hips on the female protagonist. I think this was exactly what this industry needed.

EDMIX

I guess this goes under art direction…But in an industry where most devs try to win political points by shaving off every curve from every body or even make women look like a headswapped man it is bold to have this much curves and even having nice hips on the female protagonist. I think this was exactly what this industry needed.

I'd say...the industry needs artist that are free to design how they feel like it.

There is right or wrong in this area.

The only wrong would be if the artist didn't have a choice, was forced to alter their characters, creative process interrupted etc.

I just don't know if everything you dislike, is based on some other idea...you may simply dislike something someone designed annnnnnnnd thats it. Unless they are saying that is WHY they are doing it, you are merely making an assumption. I'd argue, the diversity in body type we see in GTAVI is more rare and closer to what you might see in Miami or something, then most games that try to represent real life. You see people with muscles, skinny people, fat people lol

but tbh, that is sorta like how Rockstar has been in the past anyway when it comes to their artist having freedom to design.

I choose to remain cautiously optimistic. The trailer looks good, but we've yet to see what the majority of writing is like, yet.

SmokSmog

My bet:
In-engine pre-rendered tiktok parody videos and real time doctored cut-scenes running on a PC workstation with 4090 in it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Yes, it looks good. Graphics were never the problem of the GTA games. GTA 5 had crappy shooting mechanics (especially when you compare it to Max Payne 3) and sluggish controls in general. Got even worse with RDR2, imho. So let's hope that R* actually do something about this. Because games looking pretty is getting boring.

tmlDan

its just a trailer tho, id wait for the actual game before i am excited. The last game was my least fav GTA.

Eimran

I never lost faith in their ability to deliver quality games (I did fear them going woke tho).

They just lost my respect with how they treat their fanbase:

Attacking the modding community
The embarassement they call the definitive GTA Trilogy by outsourcing it, while sitting on a GTA V revenue of 7+ billion.
Removing the old games from steam
The "remaster" of RDR1 which is just a lazy port of a 15 year old game on a 10 year console and then having the audacity of asking 50 bucks for it.

Part of this is die to their succes. They now they can do this kind of behavior because GTA 6 will sell in the millions day 1 anyway.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gotta keep the faith.
You have to explain that spoiler broh.

timothet

Art direction and world design i can get behind with.

But boldness? Their games are as cookie cutter as they come.
My exact thoughts after reading OP's post. Half of the trailer literally consists of viral videos remade in-engine. It looks good and seems to describe theme of the game quite good but there is nothing bold or brave about it. It's a satire of modern society.

Speaks about the current state of AAA when we have to highlight devs who aren't afraid to put natural and attractive characters in their games.

Everything will depend to how it feels to move the character once you have a controller in your hands

Those graphics don't matter as much as you think if it ends up playing like garbage. I really hope they didn't go pure simulation in animations, etc
Yes, it looks good. Graphics were never the problem of the GTA games. GTA 5 had crappy shooting mechanics (especially when you compare it to Max Payne 3) and sluggish controls in general. Got even worse with RDR2, imho. So let's hope that R* actually do something about this. Because games looking pretty is getting boring.
IDK guys. To my knowledge OP's praising art, character and world design. Which are all very visible qualities from the trailer.

If you only care about gameplay then wait for the Gameplay trailers before pulling facts about the next game outta the ass.

Let ppl be hyped about something for once.

DavidGzz

OP, calm your tits

Yeah, I'm hyped but will wait and see. The actual gameplay needs to be shown first.

Godot25

Banned
I mean...it's GTA
That trailer looks exactly like I imagined GTA VI will look like. It doesn't scream anything about "boldness" and "artistic ambition" or "creative direction"

It's a big ass city with people in it with satire of american dream which is staple for the series. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guilty_AI

Look no further than almost any JP release for curves.

Also, you're in for a rude awakening if you believe this game won't be trying to win political points.

GymWolf

Almost every inch of Days Gone featured dynamic AI, and the AI interacted with each other in different ways to the point where no two drives were the same. I have high hopes for GTA to top it.
Finished days gone 2 times and the interactions were a lot but all pretty simple, far cry primal was doing this stuff way earlier except the hordes of course, also you can't do shit while in camps, you can barely interact with vendors and that's it, in rdr2 you can bump any npcs and start a fight or talk to everybody (simple chit-chat of course)

Really not sure about what dg blew away compared to rdr2, just the animal ecosystem in rdr2 is more impressive than everything i saw in dg.

Agree to disagree i guess.

Top Bottom