• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - new leaked footage

I love sony games i really do. But this looks way too clunky for god sake. Part of the appeal of sword based combat is the fluidity of animations, just look at nioh, sekiro, ninja gaiden etc this is what separates good combat from jankfests like assassin's Creed.

The combat is going to be at least as good as Odyssey which was fine.

I don't get the complaints about the combat animation. It looks way better than Souls games and hardly anyone complains about that.

THEAP99

Banned
‪Seeing that leaked Ghost of Tsushima footage, it seems that the cut scenes have the black bars similar to red dead 2. I really hope that there’s an option to disable that ‬

I don't get the complaints about the combat animation. It looks way better than Souls games and hardly anyone complains about that.

Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and especially Sekiro had some amazing animations. Between you and the "Sekiro can be beat by spamming L1" guy, what is it with From games and people coming up with absurd headcanon?

Gediminas

Banned
No he can't, when he opens trophies they are not displayed yet.
Maybe they would be displayed if he wasn't online but idk but he's not very smart lmao.
pretty much sure that they can see the trophies, kindafunnygames playing games and reviewing them.
one of them said that they have to hide trophies, because they are popping out when he plays those games.

Sakura

......dismemberment is in the game.

WTF are you talking about :|

And the other things you're talking about like visible wounds and clothes being cut is present in how many games?

Closest I can think of currently is The Last of Us, other than that, what else?

Do armors being shot off in other video games count as to what you're referring to?

Because it sounds like you're just whining about things that a plethora of games do not currently have within them, AAA or not.
Come on man this looks dumb as all hell. Shot with an arrow and just flies off the ground.

For clothing damage I dunno what to tell you. Trying to search games with clothing damage just gives me anime games. I'm not saying clothes need to be torn and there should be realistic cloth physics and shit, I'm just saying maybe a wound on the back or something when you assassinate someone that way could go a long way.
My problem is that everything in the game, the atmosphere, visual style, etc looks so good, but when it comes to combat, the death animations look like something out of a dynasty warriors game. There are lots of games that can do more realistic violence than this, other than TLOU.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I can’t tell if combat sucks or that guy does.

giphy.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
if i remember well, they said in past interviews that every blow would leave a scar in enemies's bodies.

and you can't see this in the 2018 reveal trailer.

maybe it does appear casually and not for every single blow? i'm playing devil's advocate here.

but tbh, only a few games have semi-dynamic wounds like shadow warrior 2, tlou2, doom eternal and a couple more, so it's not really a big deal (sure it look cool)

Last edited:
Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and especially Sekiro had some amazing animations. Between you and the "Sekiro can be beat by spamming L1" guy, what is it with From games and people coming up with absurd headcanon?
I never said that.

Primarily because I love Sekiro's combat. In my opinion, that game has the best sword duels ever seen in a game.
The dynamics of posture-based combat is just fantastic.

What I meant is that Sekiro is not as complex as you say.
And yes, it often works to spam L1, mainly using gokkan.

You don't need to master the parry and have ninja reflexes to do 100% in Sekiro.

I wanted to say that we don't need another game with Sekiro's combat simply because that game didn't die.

Don't take this guy seriously playing the game in easy mode. GoT presents a pleasant challenge even in normal.
He's playing like a mentally handicapped.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
I never said that.

Primarily because I love Sekiro's combat. In my opinion, that game has the best sword duels ever seen in a game.
The dynamics of posture-based combat is just fantastic.

What I meant is that Sekiro is not as complex as you say.
And yes, it often works to spam L1, mainly using gokkan.

You don't need to master the parry and have ninja reflexes to do 100% in Sekiro.

I wanted to say that we don't need another game with Sekiro's combat simply because that game didn't die.

Don't take this guy seriously playing the game in easy mode. GoT presents a pleasant challenge even in normal.
He's playing like a mentally handicapped.
hi, you played Ghost of Tsushima, how many trophies the game has?

hi, you played Ghost of Tsushima, how many trophies the game has?
I don't know the number, but I can confirm that it is a very easy platinum. It takes time because the game is huge and has a lot of collectibles like I said.

And my friend has been playing the game for over 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

scalman

its funny how our brain works, we see new game and we forget how games before looked like and we think this new game looks best, but if we would look to games that excist we would see that all this is allready done and excist... and looks good . for me it will be another AC game but this time with samurais which i allways loved to yes for me.

Don’t tell me how to live my life, Cliffy!
That was just an observation/suggestion. The final decision is yours alone.

Just don't take the combat of that video seriously. This game requires parrys and different approaches.
The animations are obviously not the best, especially after TLOU2, but the game is practical and has great performance.
Very polished as well.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm still excited for the game but some of the animations do look weird. Especially for a game that seems to be going for a somewhat realistic look.

JTCx

The combat is going to be at least as good as Odyssey which was fine.

Theres a reason no one complains about animations in FromSoft games.

Look, youre probably annoyed by the crticisms but dont go downplaying the animations by FromSoft, it makes you look desperate.

Bodomism

Banned
I noticed a worrying trend for Sony open world games of not using a proper physics like ragdoll but instead used pre baked animation as you can see it in Death Stranding, Horizons Zero Dawn, and Ghost of Tsushima.

bender

What time is it?
It's not a huge deal for me and I'm sure I'll still have a lot of fun playing it.
Maybe the crazy/weird animations add a certain charm to the game lol

It will be interesting to see for sure. There is such a fine balance between breaking immersion (the magic appearance/disappearance of the bow or automatically picking up resources with no animation) and tedium (skinning animals in RDR).

Abear21

Banned
So many games have janky animations or basic ones, like any game made by Bethesda!

Rockstar shows everyone a game with amazing animation and people call it a slog to play. Not sure what people want and expect, but Next-Gen is around the corner and hopefully things get better for you all then?

Theres a reason no one complains about animations in FromSoft games.
No one... right.

Quick google search
nkMxqIO.png

KEaxE69.png

The difference is that people get dog piled as soon as they say that there is an issue with From Software games. While in truth they're just as janky as euro games like The Witcher.
And there is nothing wrong with some janky animations.. some janky bullshit is always welcome, as long as it isn't a complete broken mess.
For clothing damage I dunno what to tell you. Trying to search games with clothing damage just gives me anime games. I'm not saying clothes need to be torn and there should be realistic cloth physics and shit, I'm just saying maybe a wound on the back or something when you assassinate someone that way could go a long way.
There is damage on clothes. At least there was in the gameplay reveal 2 years ago
Im7P2JT.png

iIlf1k6.png

There is also the white streak UI element when you hit someone which people are complaining about now and say that this wasn't there before.
c3RYYOi.png

Ozrimandias

Sony studios are really on their own tiers list.

This kinda remind me the 80's and 90's where every other artist looked like shit compare to Michael Jackson when it comes to singing and dancing.
Totally agree, what Sony achieved it's remarkable. Bloodborne, Spiderman, Horizon, TLOU even Dreams, now GOT, simply outstanding

Where did I say anything the quality of Souls games animations? I said AC has better looking animation.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Sony has been hitting AAA home run titles like the 1920s Yankees murderers row.
i am curious if there is another army ready to bomb the reviews again on this game. Just because the bombing on thlou2 did not hold back the sales of the game and kindabackfired on them.

THEAP99

Banned
i am curious if there is another army ready to bomb the reviews again on this game. Just because the bombing on thlou2 did not hold back the sales of the game and kindabackfired on them.
No. It will be the opposite.

What's going to happen is this game will get decently lower reviews than TLOU2 and the Gamer crowd will turn to YouTubers who will praise the game, like SKillUp or Angry Joe, and use this as evidence that the media is biased and against Suckerpunch love Naughty Dog. They will inflate the user score with 10s, spamming "it's better than tlou2, fuck critics"

GymWolf

Gold Member
I noticed a worrying trend for Sony open world games of not using a proper physics like ragdoll but instead used pre baked animation as you can see it in Death Stranding, Horizons Zero Dawn, and Ghost of Tsushima.
yep, you can also add infamous second son and i'm pretty sure that even gow has no ragdoll but it's less evident in that game because the overall combat feeling is great.
the order, spiderman, days gone and tlou2 are the only big sony games that utilize ragdoll.

Top Bottom