• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact voice actors claim they haven’t been paid for over 6 months

Spyxos

Gold Member
genshin-impact-cover.jpg

Corina Boettger, the voice actor for Paimon in Genshin Impact has recently claimed that she has payments due since December 2022. This callout post arrived after another voice actor for Genshin Impact Brandon Winckler made similar claims pertaining to the game.

Genshin Impact is one of the biggest names in the world of gaming. This title is often considered one of the best free-to-play games out there with a deep story, breathtaking world design, and content that can last for ages.

However, on July 12 and 13, two popular voice actors for Genshin Impact namely Corina Boettger and Brandon Winckler raised their voices regarding something they are facing. Both these voice actors have pending payments from the studio for the work that they did several months back.

The VA responded to fan comments claiming that she cannot afford a lawyer yet. Had there been a Union existed, she would’ve been able to fight this case without requiring a lawyer. Brandon Winckler raised a similar statement as well.

He even mentioned in his Twitter thread that he didn’t receive any response after sending five emails. However, he also stated this is not uncommon in productions that do not have a Union.

As of now, neither HoYoverse nor the agencies who hired them have made any official statement

Update:

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you know anything about China, you know not paying wages is actually not that uncommon

China suppresses workers’ attempts to demand wages

Chinese migrant workers face crackdown for ‘malicious’ protests over unpaid wages

Chinese staff paid in bricks to top up unpaid wages

That last one is pretty interesting, maybe they'll pay these actors with in game credit.
Literally every news coming from that fucking place make even woke america look like a paradise full of horny top models ready to fuck you...

One thing is to work for free knowing you won't get paid, but another is to expect payment and get nothing, 6 months is too much of a mistake:

According to AppMagic, it has been generating over $86 million per month on average this year so far. China remains the number one country by revenue, accounting for 41% of the total $439.7 million generated by Genshin Impact in 2023. It is followed by Japan (23.5%), the US (10.9%), and South Korea (6.7%).

Difficult People Comedy GIF by HULU

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's bizarre, specially considering they are not employeed, but contractors. And to think it's common. Even rural farmers get paid in the end of day/week for the job, but somehow actors aren't. I understand why union is such a issue for them.

They could afford to triple all their workers wages and never notice a difference in the firehose of money pouring in, but instead they just don’t pay them after the work has already been done that generates all the income… Pretty fucking scummy. Some rich asshole is probably laughing at their poor workers' predicament while telling themself that they actually deserve the money more, so they're gonna just give themselves a little bonus of someone else's wages to buy yet another house they'll never use.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think even if the whole forum here boycotted it, they wouldn't even notice. This game is just too big.
Yes full of whales...in a noncompetitive Gacha game. Kind of hilarious when you think about it.

I might still be playing it if the game didn't revolve around a shit stamina system, grinding artifacts, doing 10 minute dailies and wanting 2 teams for Abyss.

Overall given Mihoyo's track record I can't really recommend anyone support them with their practices.

Well I’d like to know the terms of the contract they’re under. And what conditions need to be met according to their contracts in order for them to be paid. Simply whining on Twitter that no one’s paying you doesn’t really tell us anything substantive.

Last edited:
I'd stop working for a company long before six months without pay.

Depending on the work and industry you’re in, this actually isn’t uncommon. Some contract jobs pay upfront, and then another lump sum at the end. It really just depends on what you signed up for. That’s why it’s hard to make a judgment about this kind of thing unless we actually know what’s going on, and what the agreements were, and whether they’re being followed.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe they can credit their accounts with a few pulls.

All jokes aside, that’s not cool. Especially since the game makes so much money. I recently started playing and I think it’s one of the best games on the market currently.

Fuz

Banned
Literally every news coming from that fucking place make even woke america look like a paradise full of horny top models ready to fuck you...
And you don't read them on reddit and don't know how insanely nationalistic they are and how that they defend that way of life.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It was already mentioned by these are purchased assets (sorry to frame it like that....but they very much are). The larger companies reach out to content providers, in this case usually Talent Agencies, and they purchase a by time or by line.

The Talent Agency then collects the assets from their list of content creators and fulfills the contract.

I am 99% confident that the TA is the one taking their time with the payout...but on the other side* of that sword the content creator (actor) shouldn't agree to a contract that leaves them insolvent (this is not possible in many cases but it bears mentioning).

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Man, reading about his issue on reddit is making me losing all sympathy I had for her.

And it's not even her fault, but goddammit the average reddit user is incredibly retarded.
I blame Elon. Reddit has become what twitter was. The retards have moved.

nial

Gold Member
Man, reading about his issue on reddit is making me losing all sympathy I had for her.

And it's not even her fault, but goddammit the average reddit user is incredibly retarded.
I blame Elon. Reddit has become what twitter was. The retards have moved.
reddit has always been full of cuck retards

Update (July 14, 2023): HoYoverse has provided us with a statement regarding the missing payments for Genshin Impact voice actors:

“We truly regret to learn about the ongoing situation. Genshin Impact values and respects the work and effort of everyone involved, and we support our voice actors to claim their proper due. We have made payments to our recording studio on time, and we immediately urged the studio to pay our voice actors from our past payment. Meanwhile, we are also seeking alternative solutions. And we will keep you posted on further developments.”

Freeman76

Probably cos most people skip anything the annoying little shit has to say 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, too much of this shit happens these days. Pay people for their work fuckers

Top Bottom