• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce Now Cloud Streaming Out Of Beta

I hope I'm not alone on this, but that price is kind of a steal. Your entire library, streamable, on a lower spec laptop and mobile device?

Yes, but it is limited to max 60fps at 1080p, no 4k and 120fps only at 720p, so this kind of service for a 1 device account is for if your PC is very weak.

I built a decently capable desktop rig a couple of years back with a 105p Ti and a meh CPU so I don't need to stream on that, but it's perfect for my Intel APU laptop (which I liked before but still!).

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Played a bit of Destiny 2 on it last night. It was neat to play a game on my Macbook Pro with everything set to "Crazy High" and not have to deal with single digit framerates or hear the fans kick in.

Worked rather well over my 300mbps Fiber connection, though I was playing over a 5Ghz wi-fi connection.

If I had a place to use it with a dedicated ethernet connection I'd probably sign up for the year of service; if it worked as well as it did over wi-fi, it must be rock solid over ethernet.

Edit: It'd be killer if they made an Apple TV app. Would save me having to buy a HDMI adapter and I could put that money into a Xbox One controller instead. It'd completely remove any interest I had in building a dedicated gaming PC.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What is the best way to play this on a TV? A Shield? How likely are iOS devices to get support at some point?
i honestly would get a windows 10 based mini pc like the 8th gen NUC.
then you can turn it into whatever the heck you want it to be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So you have to be put in queue even if you pay or is it only after the 6hours then be in queue?
In queue even if you pay, but paying customers get queue priority over non-paying customers. I'd say it probably won't be an issue if you're in the pay tier.

Thanati

OK, this is a big deal and one that I am all for. The biggest knock I had against Stadia was the fact that in addition to a subscription you had to buy the games separately. That was a deal killer for most people.

Google big time blew it when they should have signed a deal with Steam, so that you can play the library you already own.

RIp Stadia and Phil Harrison should never be allowed to head up a console launch ever again.
The free version of Stadia is coming out this year.

Tried this out today (free version) with DOOM 2016.

Playing locally, my current PC is too weak to handle 60 fps locked. I didn't fair so well with GeForce Now due to using wifi, but I'm still impressed at what it offers for free and I'll definitely be trying this again with hopefully an ethernet connection.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
After The Witcher 3 which was flawless (the remote machine's performance I mean, not the streaming, my net sucks) I also tried Kingdom Come to really stress it and on higher settings it went down to 30 fps or less so I guess they don't quite give beastly power to freeloader accounts.

I also tried that one on my phone instead and the whole interface was different though so I wonder if they also give different kinds of power levels when you access stuff on touch devices thinking that maybe they should also tone down settings as small screens can't see better anyway?

Lag was more evident, maybe because of this being first person (and also having very weighty character control and such to begin with, iirc, it's been a while since I played it), maybe because the Wi-Fi on my phone is even worse than on my PC, I dunno. Mouselook on Witcher 3 was great.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Tried this out today (free version) with DOOM 2016.

Playing locally, my current PC is too weak to handle 60 fps locked. I didn't fair so well with GeForce Now due to using wifi, but I'm still impressed at what it offers for free and I'll definitely be trying this again with hopefully an ethernet connection.
yeah normally whatever people tell you.

i learned streaming wireless is never a good alternative to wired.
You WILL get some loss at certain moments. Even if it's good. Cause buffering videos is piss easy, But when you need to actually have close to zero lag. that stuff is a hard sell,

I wired my phone when testing it. Worked amazing. Been streaming xbox and ps for a loong time now, And i have zero issues if both devices are cabled

Alexios

Oh, I totally missed the 1-hour session thing for the freeloader version. That kind of puts a damper on things, it's not as crazy a deal as I thought. But what does a "session" constitute? Can you just restart it right away or something? That's a non issue if so (as long as you/the game saved, lol.

Last edited:

whyman

Got this installed on my Android TV and connected a Xbox One controller. Played Division 2 over wifi and it ran great.

What was not so great was getting GeForce Now to install on a 2015 Android TV. Ofc not on play store and all kinds of blocks but it worked in the end.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, I totally missed the 1-hour session thing for the freeloader version. That kind of puts a damper on things, it's not as crazy a deal as I thought. But what does a "session" constitute? Can you just restart it right away or something? That's a non issue if so (as long as you/the game saved, lol.
Yes you can just re-queue for a session immediately after yours ends, but as a non-paying user you've got to get to the back of the line, which means you'll probably encounter wait times in between (especially during peak hours).

Alexios

Okay. I didn't see a queue this time but when they later try to profit rather than just get it into people's hands to spread the word of mouth and divert people into becoming paying users the free experience could suffer as a result with more wait times and stuff.

But for the purpose I'd use it it's fine still. Play some point & click steam games in bed or, if their remote hardware is better than my pc by the time this is necessary (I'm sure it won't remain static) postpone a PC upgrade by paying some $ to play some new AAA game.

I'm clearly not their target audience though, they want this thing to actually be used but I have no need for it outside these scenarios, I've already uninstalled it on my PC actually, cool as it was. So I dunno how they're gonna change it in the future. We'll be here to see it done.

Edit: oh, I could also use it to try some game on there before seeing if it's worth downloading locally, since their machine downloaded Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come in no time at all (and maybe other games are already downloaded thanks to other users, I assume they share files).

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
So I tried Dark Souls 3 with maximum settings available (50mb):

- IQ is ok I guess, DS3 doesn't have good IQ even when played locally
- Input is worse that normal for sure but I think game is playable, maybe don't try to parry all attacks
- Framerate is way worse than I imagined, drops to ~45fps in some places in the opening area (road to first bonfire)

Had this delivered today for my Samsung S9 if you don't have a Bluetooth gamepad, just tried it and it works fine.

Armorian

Banned
Will be all over this if they ever bring it to iPhone.

Just tried in on my basic android phone (Huaweii Y7 2019) in DS3:

- it's surreal to play this game on the phone :messenger_grinning:
- input lag is worse than on desktop
- framerate looks 30 fps to me but I could be wrong
- DS4 (bluetooth) works like 360 controller but some buttons are differently assigned and that can't be changed in Stream options AFAIK

Last edited:

I’ve been fighting to get them to fix my account. Something went wrong during checkout and it gives an error everytime to tries to load that part of the site. Doesn’t matter what device I try it on.

Armorian

Banned
I’ve been fighting to get them to fix my account. Something went wrong during checkout and it gives an error everytime to tries to load that part of the site. Doesn’t matter what device I try it on.

I got that too but it finaly worked after some refresh.

So I tried Shadow of Mordor and this game is interesting because it has internal resolution scaler so you can set it to run in 3840x2160 and test this Tesla performance. Results aren't so great, framerate is areound 40-45 on average with some drops to 30, even at 1080p there are some drops.

I got that too but it finaly worked after some refresh.

So I tried Shadow of Mordor and this game is interesting because it has internal resolution scaler so you can set it to run in 3840x2160 and test this Tesla performance. Results aren't so great, framerate is areound 40-45 on average with some drops to 30, even at 1080p there are some drops.

been a few days for me. Still nothing sadly.

DavidGzz

So, I can use this at work. It's amazing. I was even playing the Diablo 3 PTR and it was just as snappy as my at home experience. Even Dark Souls feels great. The only game where latency affected my gameplay was Destiny 2. I was playing like a game journalist at times.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just played an hour using a wireless connection. Tested the service on a third person fame, and could barely tell if I was playing locally or trough the cloud.

I played some Quake 2 RTX. This shit is crazy. The lag was barely there and I forgot about it before I cleared the first room.

I'd pay for a subscription tier that grants access to RTX games like Control and Metro.

sono

Every single game streaming service there are complaints of lag. Why will this be any different

Stuart360

Have i got this wrong?. So they dont actually have games as part of the service, its just games you already own on Steam?, and you have to pay to use the service?. I dont really get it, i may as well just download them and play them properly.

DavidGzz

Have i got this wrong?. So they dont actually have games as part of the service, its just games you already own on Steam?, and you have to pay to use the service?. I dont really get it, i may as well just download them and play them properly.

Well, for people like me who have access to fast internet and a lot of downtime at work, it's amazing. Been playing the shit out of Wolcen, The Division 2, Grim Dawn, etc. Also, no issues with lag, D3 for example, plays just as well if not better than at home because Nvidia's servers are much closer to Blizzard's. Wolcen feels the same as when I play offline. If there is a difference, it is so slight, it matters not.

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
How does it technically work in regards your steam account? Do you enter your steam credentials through the Geforce software? I'm presuming then that you still earn steam achievements etc?

RaptorGTA

How does it technically work in regards your steam account? Do you enter your steam credentials through the Geforce software? I'm presuming then that you still earn steam achievements etc?

When you try and play the game thats assigned to steam you will first be asked to enter your stream username and password.

holygeesus

Banned
When you try and play the game thats assigned to steam you will first be asked to enter your stream username and password.

Thanks. It is a shame you just cant link your account and be done with it, and have it constantly updating as you buy new games on Steam.

Have to say, early signs aren't good - Struggling to find a server without latency and that is on a 70MB connection. Might be a Europe thing. I'll give it a go for a few months and see how it goes.

Top Bottom