• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 6 Outline Was Written But May Have Been Thrown Out, Former Coalition Boss Says

Gears 6 hasn't been officially announced by Microsoft, but the former head of The Coalition knows how he would have approached the game. Rod Fergusson, who now serves as general manager of the Diablo franchise, admitted he drafted up an outline for the project years ago.

Fergusson was asked on IGN's Unlocked podcast whether he knew what happened after the cliffhanger ending of Gears 5. He prefaced his answer acknowledging he has "no insider information" but touched on what he did before leaving The Coalition for the Diablo franchise back in 2020.

"I did want to make sure when I left The Coalition that I left them in a good place," Fergusson said. "So I did write the synopsis story for Gears 6. If I were to have stayed, here's the game we would have made--at least from a story perspective. Now they probably threw that out and said, 'Good luck and goodbye.' And that's fine. I definitely had where I would go with 6."

Link to article but be warned there's Gears 5 spoilers in it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/g...-out-former-coalition-boss-says/1100-6514720/

Last edited:

splattered

Haven't read the link you posted yet... But I do remember Cliffy B saying on Twitter that Rod basically reused several of his ideas from earlier in the series for #4,5 ... They were decent games but not as great as the first 3 imo. So I don't know that I would be super excited if Coalition followed an outline that was setup while he was still at the studio? Guess we will find out eventually.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
No one gives a fuck about the storyline past Gears 3. Del, JD, and Kait all suck.
I dont agree, gears 4 is actually my 2nd favorite in the series, and its cool to see marcus in a distant father role. Gears 5 had issues with the pacing (who the fuck asked for a semi open world experience?), but the story was interesting, and it did a good job of explaining the origins of the locusts

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I dont agree, gears 4 is actually my 2nd favorite in the series, and its cool to see marcus in a distant father role. Gears 5 had issues with the pacing (who the fuck asked for a semi open world experience?), but the story was interesting, and it did a good job of explaining the origins of the locusts
No one *except for Umbasaborne* gives a fuck about the storyline past Gears 3.

Happy?

ungalo

Yeah i hope they've thrown everything. Even though they could do a good Gears with a bad story i think. Just need good setpieces, good enemies, good bosses, good new mechanics (and not gimmicks) what the last two games failed to offer.

I think the end of Hivebusters with the giant bird was especially weird and out of place. Stop trying to be like everything else.

Last edited:
They should scrap everything and reboot it. It needs to go smaller and more horror.
That's exactly what Gears 4 did.

gears-of-war-4-night-time.jpg

R.e5d88548a3ad363e165a83140434aeec

Rykan

As far as the story and characters are concerned, I have little hope for this franchise. Every character the coalition has introduced sucks and is annoying. Yes, that includes the hive busters DLC.

This franchise needs to straight up abandon everything 4 and 5 did and start off with a new cast of characters. Don't bring back the OGs either: focus on a new group of characters. Go back to being a dude bro shooter. This series is about men, brotherhood and war. Just let this one franchise be that.

They should just remake the first two games again to rejuvenate the player base. Clearly the IP has lost a lot of steam since the 360 days, and Gears 5 wasn't nearly enough to bring things back in a big way.

They remake the first two games, they can bank on instant nostalgia and the current team can learn through development what made the original games hit the way they did, which would benefit an actual Gears 6. But knowing Microsoft, they are probably just going to rush The Coalition into Gears 6 and it'll probably be more stagnation (or further slight decline) of the IP popularity-wise.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Coalition made two serviceable games, which is more than you can say for other MS studios, but I still don't see a reason for this series to exist past 3.

As far as the story and characters are concerned, I have little hope for this franchise. Every character the coalition has introduced sucks and is annoying. Yes, that includes the hive busters DLC.

This franchise needs to straight up abandon everything 4 and 5 did and start off with a new cast of characters. Don't bring back the OGs either: focus on a new group of characters. Go back to being a dude bro shooter. This series is about men, brotherhood and war. Just let this one franchise be that.
I think everyone would love that, but it’s not gonna happen unfortunately. Days of dude bro games are over.

Kacho

Unfortunately they're obligated to finish the trilogy.

What they did to JD in Gears 5 was unforgivable. It was like we were all the sudden supposed to hate him for reasons, all so they could push Kait and her wack ass story to the front. If killing JD ends up being the canonical ending then I'm gonna be so pissed.

Kacho

You only really fight robots during the opening of the game….

Where does this complaint come from?
I played this like six years ago and that's I really remember from the game. The horror focused stuff was very early on. The rest was like generic adventure stuff.

Ozriel

M$FT
They remake the first two games, they can bank on instant nostalgia and the current team can learn through development what made the original games hit the way they did, which would benefit an actual Gears 6.

There’s already a remaster of the first game, and you don’t need to remake a game to ‘know what made the original game hit the way it did’.

The formula needs a shakeup, remaking the old games beat for beat does nothing to change that.

But knowing Microsoft, they are probably just going to rush The Coalition into Gears 6 and it'll probably be more stagnation (or further slight decline) of the IP popularity-wise.

Never change 😂

GymWolf

They turned fucking baird in a bald old man with 1\4 of the charisma, fuck gears4 and the new protagonists.

The brand need a major overhaul like gow did in 2018.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What they did to JD in Gears 5 was unforgivable. It was like we were all the sudden supposed to hate him for reasons, all so they could push Kait and her wack ass story to the front. If killing JD ends up being the canonical ending then I'm gonna be so pissed.
I think they already confirmed that the black dude living is the canon.

Valt7786

If they do one thing they need to bring back the gore levels of the original games. I want bones and guts ragdolling out of things I cut in half with the chainsaw, not just red jelly.
And my big gruff manly men.

The Coalition made two serviceable games, which is more than you can say for other MS studios, but I still don't see a reason for this series to exist past 3.
I kind of agree. On one hand, Gears 4 and 5 explaining the origins of the locusts/swarm and giving a more defined reasoning for that weird Frankenstein's Lab tangent that you went on in Gears 2(that was left as open plot from 3 onwards), is not a bad thing. However, even from saying that I feel that this series should have been a 'one and done' with the trilogy and the Baird Prologue/Epilogue Judgment game.

It's clear that original trilogy fans just want the original trilogy, and there aren't enough fans of the newer games and protagonists to justify them making yet another game for them. Unfortunately, they put themselves in a bind because they need to wrap up Kait's bloodline story instead of leaving everyone in limbo about the events of 5.

I thought it was justified. He kept disobeying orders again and again and his luck finally ran out. Gears 4 and the Gears 5 intro shows you the stark difference between Marcus in the original trilogy and JD. If anything, the shitty thing they did was not kill him right then and there at the beginning of 5 when the hammer of dawn hit 2 feet away from him, as he was trying to save Carmine. I for sure said out loud 'there's no way he's not dead' and then he suddenly appears halfway through the next story bit with only a burnt arm.

So I wouldn't be mad at him dying canonically because he was already supposed to be dead. It will help motivate Marcus more and Del can actually get his character expanded upon since his ex-best friend just died.

Kacho

I checked, it is not official.

But you think microsoft is gonna kill the black dude to favor the white dude in 2023?

nope-nah.gif

JD is only interesting because he’s the son of Marcus Fenix and he struggles to live up to his father’s legendary status. There’s something to work with there.

Kait and her drama is zzzzzzzzz. Del is the most forgettable character of the bunch.

Fahz was the best character in Gears 5. What a prick lol

Sleepwalker

Gears 4 and 5 looked really good graphically for the time of their release, gameplay was good too but dear god was the story ass, the new enemies and characters were also a pile of horseshit. Hivebusters DLC is the best thing they've done since the og trilogy.

If it indeed was thrown out, then I would say good riddance if it was to be more of the same.

fatmarco

Yeah I completely agree. I hate when you can tangibly feel the writers doing a character pivot in order to make a character unlikable, it's always forced and artificial.

Kait had an entire game to justify herself as the main character, and that was probably enough time spent with her as she doesn't have the personality or charisma to be a lead.

They need to make old Marcus Fenix the main character again. They should not have JD canonically die because the games have spent enough time negating the victory the original characters gained in the first trilogy, having Marcus Fenix's only son die is a step too far in completely annihilating that sense of accomplishment and well earned peace that Gears 3 was meant to give the canon and the players.

I'm truly sick of IP's being brought back from the dead just to completely reverse narrative progress and character's arcs.

I consider the first Gears of War the pinnacle of the franchise. But the other two of the original trilogy were great as well.
Everything was great about the first game except for the very final boss fight against General Raam. I don't know what Cliffy B and his team were thinking and I'm not sure who playtested it, because it was an absolute nightmare to play solo, especially on anything above normal difficulty.

ungalo

Make a Gears 6 with the old trio and make them having back problems as a new mechanic because of old age and because of the way they've been sprinting for so long.

More seriously i wouldn't say horror is what made Gears great lol. It's true the atmosphere of the first one is incredible but Gears 2 and 3 did well without it for the most part (yes, even the third in my opinion).

Just have cool ideas i don't know, cool new enemy designs, cool setting, go crazy. If the character of Kait, the enemy robots, the semi open zones, cheap useless upgrades, robots companion playable, locusts with cristals on them, cheap infiltration are the best ideas they can come up with we are doomed.

Senua

Everything was great about the first game except for the very final boss fight against General Raam. I don't know what Cliffy B and his team were thinking and I'm not sure who playtested it, because it was an absolute nightmare to play solo, especially on anything above normal difficulty.
I did it on insane and I must've been about 15 so it couldnt have been that bloomin hard

Kacho

Yeah I completely agree. I hate when you can tangibly feel the writers doing a character pivot in order to make a character unlikable, it's always forced and artificial.

Kait had an entire game to justify herself as the main character, and that was probably enough time spent with her as she doesn't have the personality or charisma to be a lead.

They need to make old Marcus Fenix the main character again. They should not have JD canonically die because the games have spent enough time negating the victory the original characters gained in the first trilogy, having Marcus Fenix's only son die is a step too far in completely annihilating that sense of accomplishment and well earned peace that Gears 3 was meant to give the canon and the players.

I'm truly sick of IP's being brought back from the dead just to completely reverse narrative progress and character's arcs.
That's exactly what it was. Forced and artificial. Google Gears 5 and Kait and you'll see tons of criticism about her, Del, and the direction of the story in general.

At this point I'd rather them focus on Marcus and Cole again.

I did it on insane and I must've been about 15 so it couldnt have been that bloomin hard
It's definitely jank, but doable for sure

It's definitely jank, but doable for sure

I have the benefit of recency due to binging the whole series this past month. Did you use the cover glitch that most people ended up using?

Otherwise, this is how it would go on hard and above without the glitch: Dom runs in and immediately gets downed because his A.I. is braindead. You then have to pretty much take on the boss on your own, dodge his bats that will kill you on hit, while at the same time guys on your left and right are shooting you on those flying things and their bullets along with the boss applying constant pressure on you as well. Any cover you have on the sides is taken away within about 60 seconds due to scripted events.

There were two issues I've faced on insane: One was the fact that his bats were an instant kill. Two was the fact that everything's health was triple what it should be, including the boss himself. This, combined with Dom being instantly downed made the entire experience hellish. I can not vouch for the co-op experience as I'm guessing if you were playing with another player it would be a much, much better experience.

I'm not saying it's not beatable, I'm simply saying it's the worst final boss fight out of all of the Gears games(and I thought the Gears 5 boss with the 3 tongues was pretty f'ing stupid). The fact that there's multiple online suggestions and videos which recommend the glitch strat are very telling when it comes to this.

Edit: And in case anyone brings this up, yes, I did change Dom's A.I. to be less aggressive. It didn't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom