• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Review Thread

The Alien

Banned
Huge , huge Gears fan.

Been really digging Gears 5, I believe (remaining bugs aside) it's an improvement over Gears 4 in every way. While I'd hardly give the game a 10/10, I think the high end scores of 9.0/10 are deserved.

Some of the biggest complaints I see is that, while they made changes, they didnt evolve the game enough. I suppose that's fair, until I read reviews praising Borderlands 3 or sequels to Uncharted, for example. They are more of the same as well. I wouldn't compare Gears 5 to God of War (that was more of a full on reboot). Gears is a 3rd person cover based shooter...if u change that, u are changing Gears.

Guess I'm sayin', I'm not sure Gears gets the same breaks other games do.😪

Huge , huge Gears fan.

Been really digging Gears 5, I believe (remaining bugs aside) it's an improvement over Gears 4 in every way. While I'd hardly give the game a 10/10, I think the high end scores of 9.0/10 are deserved.

Some of the biggest complaints I see is that, while they made changes, they didnt evolve the game enough. I suppose that's fair, until I read reviews praising Borderlands 3 or sequels to Uncharted, for example. They are more of the same as well. I wouldn't compare Gears 5 to God of War (that was more of a full on reboot). Gears is a 3rd person cover based shooter...if u change that, u are changing Gears.

Guess I'm sayin', I'm not sure Gears gets the same breaks other games do.😪
Pity it isn't as good as Gears 1.

Played through the into before the game was officially released but haven't touched it since. Will be a good game to break in my new 65C8.

Roufianos

Game's good but it doesn't do anything better than the original trilogy. The character's aren't even as remotely as interesting and the new locusts like the pouncers just aren't as fun to fight.

The strangest thing is that there's genuinely some great lines from the original crew, clearly there's some talented writers so why do they relegate the new characters to awful one liners.

Never played Gears before. But Gears 5 was something insane! Though i saw that video where guy compares Gears 5 and Gears 2 in terms of details, I still think that a game like Gears 5 is like a gem in 2019 gaming.

Now i has to thank Microsoft for such a low price in Steam for regions. It pays off really well. Art and graphics are just awesome

Reactions: Isa

scalman

why it so bad cover shooter game ? visuals evolved sure .. but i mean cmon its still feel flat same as x360 gears just with better textures... its bad ... i play a lot division 2 and gears 5 feels like kindergarden cover shoot game compare to division 2 . no weight no spray much no nothing , AI stupid as shit in gears... and those areas in gears so small that it feels so cheap too... stop just make textures better , we need all game evolve to another level ...

I am well into Act 3 and I am loving this entry in the series. Wished I was playing it on an X though as I am still stuck on a launch base One
Ha I feel the same. I'm just at the start of act 3 and really enjoying it. I too wish I had a one x to take advantage of that 4k hdr. I can tell the parts of the game where hdr would really shine.

Finished the game this weekend.

Overall, very very good. Some unpolished moments technically, but on balance one of the most impressive games this generation.

Some moments that fail at game design, but overall a very strong experience.

But the defining memory of the game was the forced story choice that renders a major character irrelevant in all future games.

Suddenly inserting a jarring binary choice late in the game, in a series of games where choice has never been a narrative factor, and handling the outcome so weakly, just fucked up the experience for me.

I was on for the best Gears game ever. I left thinking ".... awww, just fuck off".

The tech is great though. Game looks amazing at almost all times. It's just that forced binary story choice at an awful point, with no meaningful setup or feedback that really soured me. Not quite "The Last Jedi" level bad, but still enormously disengaging.

Shai-Tan

Banned
yeah I don't know what they were trying to achieve with that, especially after they railroaded jd into being a war criminal to serve the world building

anyhow I don't think they were particularly successful with the open world sections. Uncharted Lost Legacy did it a lot better. The banter in 5 wasn't as good as the banter in 4 but it's a lot less half baked and more cinematic than 5. I enjoyed it though despite not liking the combat that much in the Gears series. The cover combat in Uncharted is bearable to me because it's all about jumping around like a monkey and while stealth is a thing in this game they only really dip their toe in it with how most of the encounters are set up

Last edited:

pr0cs

I think the open world sections are a miss I liked choosing encounters but driving around felt very forgettable.
If they can implement more 'randomlike' encounters like was simulated with the water tower etc then it would probably be a great edition. Maybe steal the idea of chalice dungeons in Bloodborne.
I liked the relic weapons, a great idea marred by no way to continue using them or revisiting parts of the game with them.

The binary choice thing might have been okay if there was a lead up to it, but as it was mentioned felt very ham fisted and forced, esp since the characters aren't as loved as Dom's story in the first series. It was hard to care about your choice compared to Dom's death, at least for me.

I find they dumbed down the AI significantly too, single player can be a frustrating mess because the AI can be fucking retarded. Horde mode is terrible as well since the AI is about as helpful as a kick to the family jewels. Not sure why it's degraded, to me clearly worse than gears4.

And what's with so many bugs, of all 5 games gears5 is easily the most buggy. Crashes galore, broken triggered events, teleporting characters and AI, vanishing key enemies (even in multiplayer)

I loved gears5 but it NEEDED more time to bake, it's a story improvement over 4 but marred with some questionable choices in many places

Agreed.

Same can also be said for almost every other video game or movie franchise.

Lol wat? I played Gears 1 back in late high school/early college when I would've been the most susceptible to the the 'destroyed beauty' theme (Donnie Darko song and all) and promise of Gears 1 as this revolutionary, genre bending title.

Was it gorgeous? Yes. Did it have some moody set pieces? Yes. In the right mindset/context, could the embarrassing yet blockheaded-ly earnest tone be effective? Yes.

Are you literally saying almost every other movie or videogame franchise isn't as good? Or just that most suffer from 'not as good as the first' syndrome?

Because Gears 1 was a great game. But to call it something more than a really, really good early HD era cover shooter with some good art/soul would be a bit of an oversell. Games aped it afterward for sure. But not a lot of videogame devs/storytellers are kicking themselves for not being able to catch up to Gears 1...

Grinchy

Banned
I don't think I'm even at Act 2 yet but at least the one good thing I can say is that the guns and shooting mechanics are a lot better than Gears 4.

The extremely noticeable input delay is still there and it's still a completely brainless experience of walking into one kill room after another with what can barely be described as storyline wrapped around the edges. I'm able to play about 40ish minutes at a time.

Dibils2k

another week of terrible weapon skins... why cant these people make appealing skins!?!? less is more sometimes COALITION... the team metal is by far the best skin, all the purchaseable ones have been puke worthy

give team metal some competition

i dont think anyone here cares, just felt like ranting

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Gears 5 is pretty good I'd give it a 8.7/10 the character dialogue is much better than in Gears of War 4. I actually liked JD, Kait and Dell in this one and the weapons feel better

The Matriarch is one cheap boss though

Last edited:

manfestival

Gears 5 is pretty good I'd give it a 8.7/10 the character dialogue is much better than in Gears of War 4. I actually liked JD, Kait and Dell in this one and the weapons feel better

The Matriarch is one cheap boss though
Matriarch was super easy for me but I played on PC. Honestly the game wasn't really difficult. I have found that snatchers in 4-5 were the absolutely most frustrating things in the game.

Gears 4 dialogue was so cheesy and bad. The dialogue was more grown in 5 and improved but it lacked the personality from like... Gears 1.

I personally felt the game was a solid 8/10.

JayK47

I am enjoying this so far. I skipped 4 and have not enjoyed a Gears game since 2. It does have a different feel, but it is a different developer.

highrider

Banned
I just recently started playing, played the previous games a lot but got a bit bored with gears 4. This is a big improvement. I still think the characters are kind of boring, but the game is excellent imo. All it really needs are better characters and go back to locust. The swarm just doesn’t have an identity.

highrider

Banned
Feel free to add me if anyone likes to still play horde or multiplayer. I just got my Xbox up and running again. realgoeswrong44

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Feel free to add me if anyone likes to still play horde or multiplayer. I just got my Xbox up and running again. realgoeswrong44
When do you play?
I play a lot during weekend afternoon with my wife (French time zone) and sometimes at night during week days

Top Bottom