• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gears 5 and the quitters problem

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only time I've been banned due to quitting was Black Ops 2 banned you (I forget for how long) if you quit 3 matches in a row. I was one of them. My only ban ever in my history of MP gaming.

One thing devs should do is give warnings or state in a chart consequences.

I'm all for quitters being banned (EA NHL was the worst for this, and depending how quitters quit the game, the legit team might get the loss!!!!), but at least tell people the penalties instead of surprising them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good. I can't even get an Escape match started because people quit.
It's one of those issues devs can't give penalties too harsh, or else people will know the dev/franchise gives harsh penalties..... so don't bother buying the game.

It's that fine line between getting everyone to buy the game, while balancing keeping quitters happy with quit durations that will make them still come back to buy and play the games.

The guy quit in 18 of 21 matches that day alone. That’s just ridiculous and such a waste of other people’s time. MOBAs do the same thing.
No they have a timeout system like every online game in the past decade so he would have been timed out after like 3-5 quits. But hey why have a timeout system in place when you can just drop one year bans on people without warning!

kbear

No they have a timeout system like every online game in the past decade so he would have been timed out after like 3-5 quits. But hey why have a timeout system in place when you can just drop one year bans on people without warning!
Wrong. Leaving is a huge offense in MOBAs. You get escalating bans up to a perm for it in League.

nikolino840

Warning for What? I don't think he has some mental illness...i know when i quit a game..i know when i use cheats...i know when... (add something)

Wrong. Leaving is a huge offense in MOBAs. You get escalating bans up to a perm for it in League.
Wait I just want to make sure I got this clear. Are you saying they don't have a time-out system in place? I never said anything about not having any increasing consequences for repeating the behavior.

cormack12

Gold Member
Gears 5 isn't that old. Looks like this is a stunt to highlight the fact that for persistent quitter the sanctions will be harsh. Entire levelling systems and rewards are built around the honesty of players. There, however, in my opinion should be a graceful forfeit/backout option for player. I've been rinsed online by someone far better than me, or with far better teams/weapons they've earned/bought and I much rather would have just held my hands up and said 'I take the L' rather than have to wait 15 minutes or so for the game to end.

I don't have an issue with anyone being permabanned for the quitting like the person in that tweet because that's just shitty immature behaviour. However, it does rely on good matchmaking systems and graceful backout options.

How do they distinguish these from genuine internet disconnection problems?

It will no doubt be based on metrics and behaviour analysis like

- Disconnection after <(event)>: for example, the probability of a disconnect after being killed compared to gaining a win;
- Number of disconnections/reconnections: Does the user drop out then reconnect immediately;
- Disconnection status: Does user experience disconnection problems only when in adverse/losing conditions;
- Service connection: After the user disconnects to the game, does their connection persist to the game servers or their online provider (PSN/XBL);
- Geo-analysis: Are there problems on the server causing a problem for a pool of players. Does player exist in that pool?;
- Exit code of the application: Was it a network status change or removal of power;
- Prior patterns of behaviour;
- Player reports: Does the player have any existing reports

Those people who quit the odd ten games a month won't be affected by this. It's going to be the serial quitters chasing stats/records. And I think it was a SF game that also really punished the player XP and level which I think is fair as well tbh.

Last edited:
Warning for What? I don't think he has some mental illness...i know when i quit a game..i know when i use cheats...i know when... (add something)
Warning for a ONE YEAR ban, its excessive and not normally done in any game I have ever played. Especially when the developers were too incompetent to have a system in place day 1. Its obvious they are going overboard to make a statement in attempt to save face.

nikolino840

Warning for a ONE YEAR ban, its excessive and not normally done in any game I have ever played. Especially when the developers were too incompetent to have a system in place day 1. Its obvious they are going overboard to make a statement in attempt to save face.
now they know and if you are a gamer you know what's Is ok or not in multiplayers games...Is not Devs fault
If you read the tweet they are to remove the bans

now they know and if you are a gamer you know what's Is ok or not in multiplayers games...Is not Devs fault
If you read the tweet they are to remove the bans
Yea they are removing them because they realized how stupid it was to ban people for one year without warning. A ban for quitting starts at one day and ramps up from there, it doesn't just randomly drop for one year. Like I said it was nothing but a overboard statement to cover up their previous incompetence.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Horde is fucking bad for this too. Really bad. You get people quitting right after the start of the match, after a few waves, all the time. It’s like they’re searching for the ultimate squad of extreme pro-gamers that will carry them to wave 50 on the hardest difficulty, nothing less will do.

I’ve also seen PLENTY of AFK shitheads in Horde, too. They’ll play in 60 second bursts, go to where the fabricator is, get into cover, and just let everyone else finish the match and get them EXP and points.
What the hell is wrong with people?

nikolino840

Yea they are removing them because they realized how stupid it was to ban people for one year without warning. A ban for quitting starts at one day and ramps up from there, it doesn't just randomly drop for one year. Like I said it was nothing but a overboard statement to cover up their previous incompetence.
So you think needs rules becouse gamers can't play a game without rules?
And if a gamer makes stupid things Is devs fault....ok...
Is there anyone Who takes responsabilty and does not blame others?

kbear

Wait I just want to make sure I got this clear. Are you saying they don't have a time-out system in place? I never said anything about not having any increasing consequences for repeating the behavior.
You said “No they have a timeout system...” in response to my original post.

he quit 18 of 21 matches today alone.

DqrjcbU.gif

People like that should be shown no mercy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you're going to quit like that why even play?
Because those types of gamers are hoping to join a lobby where they kick ass and win. And if they don't they bolt.

I remember getting into an argument with some gamer on a different forum probably 10 years ago. He was one of those assholes who claimed to be a great gamer and that everyone should work as a team and win the match.

Then I checked his gamertag on the game's stat tracking site. And he was one of those guys who would play a full match if he did great and won. But then he'd have a bunch of matches where it looks like he quit that game early when he started with a k/d of 1:4 or 2:6.

But then every full match only seems like it's a win where he goes 25:11.

Last edited:
You said “No they have a timeout system...” in response to my original post.
Which is correct...MOBAs don't drop random one year bans, they have a timeout system in place and the consequences ramp up from one day on, they don't start at one year lol.
So you think needs rules becouse gamers can't play a game without rules?
And if a gamer makes stupid things Is devs fault....ok...
Is there anyone Who takes responsabilty and does not blame others?
Not sure what your trying to say...the devs were too incompetent to add a feature that is a standard in almost every online game, that's the dev's fault. Can't believe people defend this.

bitbydeath

Why not just leave the persons avatar frozen in the game if they quit, any deaths could then be associated direct back to their account and they can’t start a new match until that one is over.

Three

Come on, being banned for almost 2 years without warning because you quit multiple times is not normal. There should at least be an escalating timeout system that pervents you from doing this to yourself but doesn't ban you for 2 years straight like that.

Sometimes you just have to quit a game if you got other priorities like a kid or something. It's just a game FFS. A good game should replace you with another player or competent AI.

ZywyPL

Banned
Blame the game, not the players. It's developers fault for putting toxic mechanics that screw fair people into their games,. always. The sooner the online games start to reward/punish individual players instead of treating everyone equally as one team the better. That would single-handedly killed all the issues of the games where players can't dynamically join the matches once they started, like all the MOBAs for example.

Come on, being banned for almost 2 years without warning because you quit multiple times is not normal. There should at least be an escalating timeout system that pervents you from doing this to yourself but doesn't ban you for 2 years straight like that.

Sometimes you just have to quit a game if you got other priorities like a kid or something. It's just a game FFS. A good game should replace you with another player or competent AI.
Dude, the guy quit over 45 ranked matches... Over 45... Two years should be the minimum.

You ruin each and every game you do this in for the people you're playing with.

nikolino840

Which is correct...MOBAs don't drop random one year bans, they have a timeout system in place and the consequences ramp up from one day on, they don't start at one year lol.

Not sure what your trying to say...the devs were too incompetent to add a feature that is a standard in almost every online game, that's the dev's fault. Can't believe people defend this.
I don't think so.. but imho...
So if i use cheats i don't have any responsabilty becouse devs do nothing against me?
I don't need rules to know what Is wrong or what Is right to do

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Honestly the title could've been written about the original game back in 2006.

Punishing quitters is pretty basic but Gears never seems to get its online systems correct.

Portugeezer

What is the context of his quitting? When I used to play COD, if the match was lost I would sometimes quit a few seconds before the match ended because the end game losing screens are too long; it is quicker to jump out and start matchmaking ASAP. Exp rewards when you are max level are meaningless too, no reason to stay and watch the losing screen/animations.

If someone just quits because they are getting badly beat, then yeah, I am all for some type of punishment system. 18 out of 21 matches is ridiculously high, even a bad player should expect 40% win rate with a decent team every now and then, so why this person quits so much is beyond me... Internet issues maybe?

lifa-cobex

Guy shouldn't be banned.

Rage quitters have been a thing since the birth on online FPS. It something that devs should acknowledge if you're wanting to put a multiplayer component into your game.
Most don't really care and just ignore it.
But if it's something that you think will annoy you or harm your game in some way. Then you need to have a counter to it.

Team Fortress 2 has a system to counter it.
Players complete contracts in game but have to finish the match in order to receive it.
Hell they even have an achievement for if you make someone else rage quit.

rubLXOR.jpg

Not only have they countered it. They embraced the fact that it does exists and made light of it.

Gwent had an issue of people instantly quitting a match and hoping to exploit the GG mechanic.
They countered that. You now have to play a full match in order to use it.

Unless the Gears devs actually stated it in rules in some capacity like other games do with player language etc. Then i'm calling BS.
I hate rage quitters. But it's something that has always existed. The player paid money for the product and as far as I can tell hasn't broken any stipulations.

Imagine if a dev put in a weapon or ability that was OP in some fashion that the devs failed to account for by mistake.
Instead of fixing the issue with said weapon or ability, they just banned players for using it.
People would be pissed.

You get caught modifying a game, then yea fair play. Ban the fucker.

Users can only play a game to the point of what is allowed by the devs.
In this case the devs aloud players to quit the game without warning in anyway. As far as I can see, it's a tactic to be exploited.
This is on the devs head. Not the player.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

The player paid money for the product and as far as I can tell hasn't broken any stipulations.

Course he did. Have you read the terms and conditions you agree to when you go online with Gears? They can ban you for having a name starting with the letter G if they want to. Those things are left so open ended that they can technically hit you for whatever the fuck they come up with on the spot. Normally I'd be on the side of consumer rights, but for quitting assholes? Let the selfish bastards rot, and sell tickets to their shame & misery, I say.

lifa-cobex

Course he did. Have you read the terms and conditions you agree to when you go online with Gears? They can ban you for having a name starting with the letter G if they want to. Those things are left so open ended that they can technically hit you for whatever the fuck they come up with on the spot. Normally I'd be on the side of consumer rights, but for quitting assholes? Let the selfish bastards rot, and sell tickets to their shame & misery, I say.

Does it actually stipulate that you can not quit the game at any point until a match has ended?
What happens in the rare case that the guy has a shitty connection and just kept DC?

Btw i'm not defending the guy. I hate rage quitters.
But I am gunning after the devs in this case.

Guy shouldn't be banned.

Rage quitters have been a thing since the birth on online FPS. It something that devs should acknowledge if you're wanting to put a multiplayer component into your game.
Most don't really care and just ignore it.
But if it's something that you think will annoy you or harm your game in some way. Then you need to have a counter to it.

Team Fortress 2 has a system to counter it.
Players complete contracts in game but have to finish the match in order to receive it.
Hell they even have an achievement for if you make someone else rage quit.

Not only have they countered it. They embraced the fact that it does exists and made light of it.

Gwent had an issue of people instantly quitting a match and hoping to exploit the GG mechanic.
They countered that. You now have to play a full match in order to use it.

Unless the Gears devs actually stated it in rules in some capacity like other games do with player language etc. Then i'm calling BS.
I hate rage quitters. But it's something that has always existed. The player paid money for the product and as far as I can tell hasn't broken any stipulations.
Of course they should be banned.

Rage quitters being a thing since the dawn of time doesn't mean anything because systematic ranked play with statistical weight and ELO behind it built directly into a game hasn't. It's not brand new but on the whole is a fairly new thing that's being incorporated into more and more games. People who rage quit can play in casual matches or public servers, they're free to come and go, but if you hop into a ranked match you better expect consequences for leaving because you screw every person on your team and their ELO by abandoning.

Team Fortress 2 also severely punishes players with cooldowns for abandoning, they've adopted Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's cooldown methods.

NsldkPg.jpg

No one cares about people quitting from public servers or casual matchmaking which is why there's no penalties there, neither amounts to anything and they simply function as pick up games. Every time you launch a game you're agreeing to a EULA, being on the platform itself you're in agreement with a EULA. They can change things at will especially when it's to account for issues cropping up during online gaming, that is written into basically every EULA for every piece of software.

Someone paying money for a video game doesn't absolve them of responsibility and subsequently punishment for systems violations.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Which is why I tend to play more with bots than real players. Have the development team record their own skill as the AI and I'm all set. I'd rather have a bunch of bots than someone who gets annoyed every time they're killed. That's the worst type of player. The entitlement for being a sore loser is probably the lowest of them all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom