• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot ranks the Final Fantasy games

near

Gold Member
To be fair FF lists always cause controversy, Everyone is going to prefer different games the only time I'll ever tell someone to fuck off regarding best FF is when people say XV is great šŸ¤£ or shit talking IX and XII.

I'd love to see FFIX remade in the same way as Star Ocean 2 but with a higher quality and budget.
I agree. I don't think there is an objectively bad FF iteration, someone will definitely love one over the other. Personally I think FF6 & FF12 are interchangeably the best, but you'll always have someone who strongly disagrees, and they won't be wrong to do so.

Bond007

XI is my favorite even though its not considered mainline here.
X is what got me into playing FF

Did not like 7 as a kid. Appreciate it more now especially with these remakes.

Doom85

I donā€™t love VI as much as others, but itā€™s still great, and I know itā€™s a lot of peopleā€™s favorite, so Iā€™ll allow it.

XII, LOL, no. Itā€™s really good, but suffers from Vaan being mid and Penelo being useless and even uneven focus on the important characters (I swear Basch just fades into the background for a huge chunk of the second act and I donā€™t even remember the villain at all), also while the Gambit system was great but the actual combat felt too hands off plus not enough ability distinction between party members.

X, should be a bit lower, but still based. Yes, Tidus, Yuna, and especially Wakka are weak characters, but Lulu, Kimahari, and Rikku are great, and Auron is the chad of the series. Add in one last hurrah for the classic battle system while adding a great swapping mechanic and a fun Sphere Grid leveling mechanic, great OST, and a classic adventure, and youā€™ve got a solid FF, haters be tripping.

VII, both versions, are excellent and deserve high spots, VII is an established classic, and Remake is the one modern FF to properly mix action and RPG together. I would have held off ranking Remake until the whole trilogy is out though.

V I just do not like anywhere near as much as others. Cool, itā€™s got character classes, so do other FFs, and the story/characters did not stick with me.

XVI should be the actual lowest, I like my RPG elements to actually matter in my RPG of a series made entirely of RPGs. So for those throwing out the ā€œbut itā€™s experimental!ā€, nah, Iā€™m not hearing that noise, I want good RPG in my FF, period. The music and Cid are the only highlights of the entire game for me.

Wonā€™t comment on VIII as I could never make it past a few hours. I feel I wonā€™t vibe with it, but if I give it a shot again someday, maybe itā€™ll surprise me.

IV should be a few spots higher.

IX being that low, FUCK THAT. The absolute #1 of the franchise, and one of the GOAT video games period. This game defines what it feels like to go on a grand adventure.

III and 1, eh, theyā€™re not bad, I just have no passion for them, theyā€™re very a product of their time.

XIII should be a bit higher. Yes, it has issues, but the cast is generally fun even if the story is rough, the battles are fun, and the music is great.

XV is about right in its placement. Even with the ā€œComplete Versionā€, it still suffers from a weak cast, a badly handled story (watch a movie and an anime to get the character/story development that clearly were missing from the main game, fuck off with that), a brain dead combat system that makes it impossible to lose if you have tons of revive items, and the worst OST of the main entries (which they try to disguise by letting you listen to other gamesā€™ better OSTs in the car, LOL).

II shouldnā€™t be the lowest, but it is definitely the worst of the classic FFs.

DonkeyPunchJr

Worldā€™s Biggest Weeb
IX is like 0/10 gameplay and 10/10 everything else. Slow as molasses battle system + ~10 second loading time for each battleā€¦ man itā€™s like torture actually playing that game.

Remake it with Ys combat and itā€™d be a perfect game.

Brigandier

IX is like 0/10 gameplay and 10/10 everything else. Slow as molasses battle system + ~10 second loading time for each battleā€¦ man itā€™s like torture actually playing that game.

Yeah IX is screaming for a true remaster/remake, I want to replay it so much but the battle system performance is absolutely rancid.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Mad Max Reaction GIF
Ainā€™t no way you put ff9 down that low except to start a chatter online to get clicks.

Sacred

9 and 10 need to be switched, move 12 down below 7, swap 4 and 5. That would be my opinion.

This would be my list, only including the FF's I have played:

VI
IX
VII
IV
FF7R
XII
X
V
III
I
XIII
II
XV

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

X would have been so much better without those stupid puzzles which slow down the game pace at a snail level. They arenā€™t fun at all. Iā€™d rather just fight some random enemies or a mini boss instead of jumping through back and forward hoops to progress.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Not a bad list. There's a few items I'd move around a bit but I agree with the general vibe (barring the couple games I haven't played ofc).

kunonabi

Yeah I went back to it a few years ago and i was shocked at how much of a slog it was to actually play. I think I was only so positive about it at release because of how much I hated VII and VIII.

Dazraell

I'm surprised VIII and IX are below XVI. I haven't played both of them yet, but I thought in general consensus people liked them more than XVI

Doom85

X would have been so much better without those stupid puzzles which slow down the game pace at a snail level. They arenā€™t fun at all. Iā€™d rather just fight some random enemies or a mini boss instead of jumping through back and forward hoops to progress.

Shit, you know what, thatā€™s totally fair. I still think X is great, but yeah those sphere temple dungeons sucked. I just always watch video guides on a replay for those just to zoom through those temples as soon as possible.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Is this just one random guy? Because FFXII was a huge disappointment in the story department.

FFIX, FFVIII, FFVII, FFVI are the best in series, with FFIV brining up the rear.

Top Bottom