• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot Pariah review

Andy787

Banned
bitwise said:
The game simply can't make the act of firing a weapon interesting, and this plagues every mode in it. - Jeff Gerstmann
Exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was playing the demo.

mrroboto

Banned
only a 5.9? they gave this piece of camel dung a break.

here's some advice-save some money and buy either riddick: butcher bay for $20 or less and/or serious sam: gold edition for $5 bucks. you'll have waaaaay more fun and interesting stuff to do with these two games.

phariah is a textbook example of the cookie cutter fps(and a shitty one at that).

I don't think Pariah is that bad at all. At best it's a great alternative to Timesplitters Future Perfect. AI is a bit suss and the single-player is very tacked-on, but for the most part I feel as though you guys are talking about a completely different game from the one I played!

I've been playing through this, and I think I'm right at the end now. The game certainly opens mediocre, then turns weak, then by the middle gets very strong. That said it is extremely generic in its game play as it doesn't even try to do something new.

Visually, the later levels are amazing. There is one level that looks like Zion in the Matrix, another that looks like the refineries in Stalker. A cool little level in here is one where you have to board a flying dropship and battle your way to the cockpit. I was surpised at points that the Xbox was putting out these pretty incredible current gen visuals (even though the framerate stutters a bit here and there).

The controls are pretty busted in places, especially concerning the right stick look. Angles on the control move at a much slower rate that left, right, down, or up making looking around frustrating. There is also no crouch toggle so you have to keep the left stick pressed to crouch. Vehicles are no where near as good as they are in something like Halo or Far Cry.

The shooting is pretty good but you can tell that while your bullets are doing damage, there is very little feedback in the enemies' animation.

Basically the game is alot like Killzone but without the gritty visuals or the pretty solid shooting. Like Killzone, it's environments are very pretty, the weapon animations are cool, the industrial design of everything is really well done, has buggy graphics and controls here and there, and it doesn't ever do anything beyond the base minimum in FPS games. This isn't wouldn't be bad necessarily if everything across the board was completely tight or even 90% tight but because it isn't I can't give the game more than a 6/10. That said, I've enjoyed it enough to play it almost to conclusion (that will be tonight).

Top Bottom