• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry - UK Charts: Days Gone defeats Mortal Kombat 11 to claim No.1

Fake

Sony's Days Gone comfortably beat Mortal Kombat 11 in the UK boxed games charts.
Its launch week physical sales are 27% lower than last year's PS4 exclusive action adventure God of War. It is actually a decent performance when you consider this is a new IP - and the review scores for this new game have not been as impressive as last year's multi-award winning effort.
Mortal Kombat 11 had to settle for No.2 as a result. The game's debut performance is 43.6% smaller than 2015's Mortal Kombat X (note: digital sales are not included, and download sales have improved significantly over the last four years). However, sales are slightly up over 2017's Injustice 2, which is another beat 'em up developed by NetherRealm featuring DC characters.

Evilms

Banned
Sony's Days Gone comfortably beat Mortal Kombat 11 in the UK boxed games charts.

Its launch week physical sales are 27% lower than last year's PS4 exclusive action adventure God of War. It is actually a decent performance when you consider this is a new IP - and the review scores for this new game have not been as impressive as last year's multi-award winning effort.

Mortal Kombat 11 had to settle for No.2 as a result. The game's debut performance is 43.6% smaller than 2015's Mortal Kombat X (note: digital sales are not included, and download sales have improved significantly over the last four years). However, sales are slightly up over 2017's Injustice 2, which is another beat 'em up developed by NetherRealm featuring DC characters.

Mortal Kombat 11 sold best on PS4, with 71% of sales coming on Sony's platform.

Physical only :

Uncharted 4 - 192k (TUE)
Spider-Man - 190k (FRI)
Horizon Zero Dawn - 114k (WED)
God of War - 96k (FRI)
Uncharted The Lost Legacy - 80k (WED)
GT Sport - 74k (WED)
Days Gone - 70k (FRI)
inFamous Second Son - 70k (FRI)
Bloodborne - 43k (WED)
The Order 1886 - 39k (FRI)
Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection - 39k (WED)
Ratchet & Clank - 38k (FRI)
Detroit Become Human - 22k (FRI)

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-gone-defeats-mortal-kombat-11-to-claim-no-1

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
  1. DAYS GONE (SONY) / RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM) ~ 70k
  2. KINGDOM HEARTS III (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) ~ 66k
  3. TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION 2 (UBISOFT) ~ 55k
  4. ANTHEM (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 45k
  5. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) ~ 30k
  6. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)
  7. FAR CRY NEW DAWN (UBISOFT)
  8. DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM) ~ 21k
  9. METRO EXODUS (DEEP SILVER)
  10. YOSHI'S CRAFTED WORLD (NINTENDO)
  11. Crackdown 3 (MICROSOFT) ~4k

Days Gone, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, The Division 2, Anthem, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Devil May Cry 5 & Crackdown 3 : They all launched on a friday.

With 70K Days Gone is the biggest launch of the year in the United Kingdom with RE2 Remake (physical only).

I think with the digital Days Gone should not be far from the 90~100K minimum

Last edited:

Humdinger

Sounds pretty good, especially for a new IP with average/mixed reviews. Hopefully the sales will continue and not drop off a cliff.

Looking at how it stacks up against first-week sales of other PS4 exclusives, it's middle of the pack. Not as good as their huge hits, but as good or better than some games that have sold reasonably well. My hope is that word of mouth will to some extent counter the doom and gloom around the review scores.

Last edited:

Humdinger

1. DAYS GONE (SONY) / RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM) ~ 70k
  2. KINGDOM HEARTS III (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) ~ 66k
  3. TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION 2 (UBISOFT) ~ 55k
  4. ANTHEM (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 45k
  5. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) ~ 30k
  6. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)
  7. FAR CRY NEW DAWN (UBISOFT)
  8. DEVIL MAY CRY 5 (CAPCOM) ~ 21k
  9. METRO EXODUS (DEEP SILVER)
  10. YOSHI'S CRAFTED WORLD (NINTENDO)

What chart is that?

blackjon24

Should this be celebrated? The game is so generic, safe and mass appeal that it doesn't matter what the quality of it is it will still sell like hot cakes. All the while much more unique better games than days gone bomb all the time.

Happy sony bend will stick around though.

Evilms

Banned
Nice art from Sucker Punch.

D5Fu4XtUEAE-5Z7.jpg:large

Wink

Generic game with all surface level things that appeal to the videogaming masses from Sony doesn't sell terribly. Can't say I'm surprised.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Happy with this news

The game is much better than what IGN Lucy O Brien review told us

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Well, I did my part, but that was a digital purchase. I rather suspect that digital sales were strong on this one...
90% xbox digital makes up the difference.
That only applied to Halo though, a digital tour de force that..

person: a pity sony doesn't have gamepass to save this game.

sony: hold my beer
I remember that quote from one of the days gone threads...... Surely there's no game pass to save this game, what ever will they do.....?

Elenchus

Banned
Fact that Forza Horizon 4 appears at the number 8 spot is even more impressive quite frankly. Hell of a streak.

Also notice RDR2 at number 4. Game was already at 23mil after the 1st week. Must be closing in on 50mil by now.

Acidizer

Banned
Take that SJW press.

Is it me or did gaming outlets get 3rd rate freelancers to review this? (to distance themselves and get to trash it)

I'd like to see gaming websites grown some balls and pick up on negatives from massive publishers, like why wasn't RDR2 called out (score wise at least) for the naff early PS3 era controls? It plays abysmally and this impacts my enjoyment of it a lot. AMAZING GRAPHICS, EXCELLENT STORY, PLAYS LIKE DOGSHIT, 10/10.

DanielsM

Banned
Take that SJW press.

Is it me or did gaming outlets get 3rd rate freelancers to review this? (to distance themselves and get to trash it)

I'd like to see gaming websites grown some balls and pick up on negatives from massive publishers, like why wasn't RDR2 called out (score wise at least) for the naff early PS3 era controls? It plays abysmally and this impacts my enjoyment of it a lot. AMAZING GRAPHICS, EXCELLENT STORY, PLAYS LIKE DOGSHIT, 10/10.

It was becoming obvious a few years ago, more reviewers are interested in issues/clickbait than actually reviewing the game, I'm actually seeing a lack of real gamers reviewing games.

Make Deacon a transgender female with a pink Mohawk that has a lesbian girlfriend that identifies as a male blue whale and the game would have sold like shit. Developers better stop listening to these strange people or they'll end up at the end of the bargain bin like EA right now. I just kind chuckle at all this. Days Gone is a real good solid game, with some technical flaws here and there, probably my second favorite new series ahead of Horizon. I actually think this is at least a step up from Horizon for my taste.... I still hold a special place in my heart for Bloodborne.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I bet those reviewers who gave it less than a 7 must feel really stupid now. The game will sell good lifetime and I’m positive there will be a sequel.
And why's that? Many customers don't care about the review scores no matter if they're low or high. Also the reviewer shouldn't be afraid to give the game a low score (if it's justified by the review) because of it potentially hurting its sales.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
Yes unfortunately straight up game reviews etc just don't get the clicks required to pay the bills. So sadly they turn to degenerate clickbait trash... that is a model that works, and works well - look at the Mail Online. Utter trumped up, if not plain fabricated tripe that gets traffic most sites would actually kill for.

Very very sad (and pathetic). If it is only about paying the bills then open up a gossip site, there is no shortage of half wits clicking and commenting on articles about Kim Kardashian's latest hand bag... but please don't dilute and tarnish the actual game stuff.

This is plainly the work of bad business minds. They should be able to diversify and monetize without bringing integrity into the gutter. If they can't do that, they have no right even operating.

Fake

Another point to note :

Days Gone released on a Friday
Mortal Kombat 11 comes out on a Tuesday

So 2 days versus 5 days for the other one. This is more than remarkable for a new IP.

Days Gone is the biggest physical sales launch of the year so far in the UK

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-physical-launch-of-the-year-so-far-in-the-uk
US sales are going to be really good as well. It's even sold out where I live, AAA games are almost never sold out where I live.
wCNpegC.jpg
This already made me happy. Thx guys.

Top Bottom