• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass Is Lame Actually

Gamepass Thoughts?

• Love Gamepass & I use it all the time

Votes: 154 31.2%
  • Meh I could take it or leave it. I use it to play a few min of some games

Votes: 95 19.3%
  • Its great for others, not really for me

Votes: 144 29.2%
  • Gamepass sucks

Votes: 100 20.3%

• Total voters
I really don’t care about Gamepass. I may try a game here and there, but is it really worth it to me? Not really. I own the games I love, spend almost all my time playing those, and to be honest, don’t really care about 90+% of the games on it. So is it really an amazing deal?

This narrative that Gamepass is amazing, I feel, is pretty much from outlets and organizations that have promoted it and conditioned us to think it is. FOR OTHERS. So if everyone thinks its great, for other people, is it actually great?

Am I alone on this? I added a poll to see really what everyone thinks. Its a brilliant strategy that actually paid off for them though.

On a side not, amongst all this XBOX craziness & 3rd party turmoil, I’m still happy with my $180 xbox series s I bought (crazy deal on tiktok from last year) for the halo games, forza horizons, and emulation. But if I had chosen it OVER the PS5 and not for those reasons, boy would I be pissed right now.

Maddoxswe

You Got It Yep GIF by Hockeyland

XXL

For consoles, conceptually its is not a bad idea.

On PC, it's doesn't make sense at all, because Steam sales are just too fucking good.

For example... I bought most of the games I wanted from GamePass for no joke $40-$50.

I bought Prey and Dishonoured 2 for $5 (total) and bought every Fallout game every made for $15 (total).

I really don’t care about Gamepass. I may try a game here and there, but is it really worth it to me? Not really. I own the games I love, spend almost all my time playing those, and to be honest, don’t really care about 90+% of the games on it. So is it really an amazing deal?

This narrative that Gamepass is amazing, I feel, is pretty much from outlets and organizations that have promoted it and conditioned us to think it is. FOR OTHERS. So if everyone thinks its great, for other people, is it actually great?

Am I alone on this? I added a poll to see really what everyone thinks. Its a brilliant strategy that actually paid off for them though.

On a side not, amongst all this XBOX craziness & 3rd party turmoil, I’m still happy with my $180 xbox series s I bought (crazy deal on tiktok from last year) for the halo games, forza horizons, and emulation. But if I had chosen it OVER the PS5 and not for those reasons, boy would I be pissed right now.
Me thinks thou protests too much.

game pass is great until you've gone through their basic library (which took me, a new to xbox owner, a year & a half). after that? it basically becomes a 'get new major release cheap' machine...

Robb

Gold Member
I love it, I play a lot of smaller titles here and there and lots of bigger games I’ve wanted to play but not pay full price for. Not to mention all the games I’ve tried only to delete because they weren’t for me.

I’m mainly in it for the day 1 first party stuff though.. if that changes so does my subscription.
88UXsO4.jpeg

It’s no different than PS+ or Netflix or NSO etc etc. It’s all subjective. You can find deals to make it a few bucks a month and that’s for GPU, which includes online play. Makes it a no brainer. And apparently a lot of people don’t know this, but you can be a GamePass subscriber AND buy games too. It’s wild.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only bad thing I don't like about ant sub service s it will kill any short but great games and everything will be endless filler.

simpatico

It's a rental service for me. I dug through most of the back catalog and found some gems. Bought the ones I loved on Steam and now only sub if there's a new release I want to play, but think I won't buy any time before major price drops. I'll resub a month for Indy for sure.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s not something I’d ever subscribe to because on PC, there’s just way too many great bundle deals. Plus I prefer to own my games.

But the cheap or free GP promos I’ve done, there was a lot of great games to pick from - even if you don’t like Microsoft’s games. It makes more sense for console users to sub imo.

So there’s really no option on the poll for me. I think it’s solid, but not something I’d keep subbing to.

BlackTron

I’m still happy with my $180 xbox series s I bought (crazy deal on tiktok from last year) for the halo games, forza horizons, and emulation. But if I had chosen it OVER the PS5 and not for those reasons, boy would I be pissed right now.

Kinda this. I sold my X and use an S I got for stupid cheap. I'm pretty satisfied with the S for what it is, but what it isn't is a main gaming machine. I still get the Xbox ecosystem, a TV controller UI with apps and the BC games I own as far back as 360. This is nice to have stuff but not really enough to pay for a whole expensive console.

If I could get GP for $1 I would sure. But I've had it before and I didn't renew after my contract ran out. If I didn't have such a huge backlog (on other platforms) I could see using it as a replacement for going to Blockbuster or new release demo service. If I was *really* broke and they put out a megaton level game I might cough ten up the bucks to "rent it". I'm thinking back to when I was a kid, a new game came out and I was nervous they would rent out all the copies before I could get there -back when I wasn't sitting on a backlog. So surely GP has utility to someone out there.

Banjo64

cumsessed
At the start they had high quality control. Remember they touted the fact that it was 100 high quality games? We had graphs and charts that showed like, 90% of the games were 80+ MC. Over time it feels like any old crap gets in with some good games also.

It’s a no from me. There’s just no denying that buying quality games that you can invest hundreds of hours in to like Elden Ring or TotK trumps this model in every way.

It's definitely not for everyone I'm not gonna re-sub after 3 years of using it sparingly but it's undeniable a good service for the right consumer I just rather own my games.

flying_sq

I used to get a month at a time when there was a game I wanted to check out, but there is nothing on it that I want to play.

GHG

At the start they had high quality control. Remember they touted the fact that it was 100 high quality games? We had graphs and charts that showed like, 90% of the games were 80+ MC. Over time it feels like any old crap gets in with some good games also.

It’s a no from me. There’s just no denying that buying quality games that you can invest hundreds of hours in to like Elden Ring or TotK trumps this model in every way.

Nail on head.

And the biggest issue is that they aren't even setting standards when it comes to their own first party games launching on the service. They aren't setting a good example to their third party counterparts in the slightest and why should they (the third party devs/publishers) care considering they are guaranteed a pay check?

They are just chancing everything and when a good game launches on to the service day one it seems more coincidental than it does intentional.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

No I don't like it much either. I've had it running from late 2020 until late 2022 and then never resubbed. I don't miss it at all. The most games I play happen not to be on GP anyway. Right now all my game time goes into Infinite Wealth. Persona are games I spent 100+ hours on, I would probably be better off buying it.

I did play the likes of Hades and Celeste with it in the past but those games can be had for rather cheap as well.

Day one releases on first party titles wasn’t something I would of done.

Imo it’s created a detrimental effect in regards to quality and purchasing habits.

And the worst one is having standards, a game not up to par gets an apathy reaction because it’s in a price enticing subscription service rather then a sole full price release, so people just move on. Standards and expectations slip.

“Crackdown 3 was rubbish but who cares , it’s on gamepass”

It should of been a compliment to the platform, one layer of many like a mini evolved Xbox live but it was pushed front and centre and frankly I got tired of hearing them constantly going on about it.

I disliked what happened with Xbox under Don Mattrick but this period in Xbox history is as bad if not worse imo because it’s been prolonged over a number of years and self indulgent people in the media and socials have placated poor leadership, mediocre releases, questionable comments and barren release schedules.

Fuck gamepass

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Its ok for the £1 thing i done for it and got it for 3 yrs, but I dont realy use it so when my times up I wont be renewing, il just get the standard xbox live or whatever it is now.

Roberts

No sarcasm or hyperbole: personally for me it is the best thing that happened to gaming in a long time. Whoever curates games for it has great taste - in the last four or five years most of the games on my top20 are/were on gamepass and I still buy lots of games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best value in gaming.

Up until last year, you could top up Gold for $1 or one extra month of GP price and get GPU. For 6 years of GPU, I spent an extra $1 for the first 3 year stint, and one month for the next 3 years. I'm already a Gold subber, so for 6 years of GPU it cost me about an extra $20.

Played tons of games and didn't pay extra. I've even played MLB the Show games on GP and didn't pay an extra dime.

For those of you who prefer buying your games go ahead. Nobody is stopping you, and most games arent even on any console sub plan whether it's MS, Sony or Nintendo anyway.

If you want to save some money, play it on cheap sub plan, and when the game comes off the service, buy it on a bargain bin sale for $19.99 by then.

Last edited:
it pretty much stopped me from buying xbox games. now just sub for a month on the chance that something goes on gamepass i want to play

Fredrik

It’s great if you want to see if you like a game yourself instead of blindly trusting critics and hoping they have the exact same taste in games as yourself.

I’ve played 100s of games the last 5 years I’ve had Gamepass, many of them I would’ve never touched otherwise.
Without Gamepass I would’ve just played the usual handfull safe AAA games each year.

The Ascent is one of those games where I’m so thankful that Gamepass was around, critics thought it was kinda bad but for me it was on my GOTY list, absolutely loved it.

Scorn is another one. It’s a playthrough I’ll never ever forget. Not worth full price since it’s super short but a perfect game on a subscription service.

Found out that I enjoy city builders when trying Cities Skylines. Would’ve never played it without Gamepass.

But the subscription cost has increased and now I’m at the point where I’m not sure it’s worth the money. My sub ends this month. I’ll try to stay out for awhile.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I get it twice a year for $1 play what I want and be done with it until its $1 again

its .....games? are games lame? I think games are good?

Top Bottom