• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamecube tracks in mario kart ds versus gc originals

bummyhead

just curious, has anyone come across any comparison screen for the DS versions of the GC tracks compared to the originals?

AniHawk

Best I could find in the last few minutes:

th214120546.jpg
7.jpg

Sorry, but that screen is not indicative of how the game actually looks. Anyone who says otherwise either

a) hasn't played it
b) is blind

rod

Banned
all DS games look like ass in videos and pictures, honestly, before i was getting my DS i watched the videos of some games and i was like holy fuck what am i buying..

AniHawk said:
And in videos and in person.

The game just sucks.

didn't anihawk used to be a nintendo fan? are you THAT bitter dude? i remember you being all about the gamecube and then all of a sudden you turned real sour towards anything nintendo related... did they let you down or what?

bummyhead

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Why the fuck did this get turned into a debate over whether the game looks good in screens?

There are at least 50 other threads for that already.....

rod

Banned
={<SMOKE>}= said:
didn't anihawk used to be a nintendo fan? are you THAT bitter dude? i remember you being all about the gamecube and then all of a sudden you turned real sour towards anything nintendo related... did they let you down or what?

:lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
bummyhead said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Why the fuck did this get turned into a debate over whether the game looks good in screens?

well the GC tracks in Mario Kart DS are the same except with less graphical details.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
bummyhead said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Three letters for you...Ready?

G
A
F

AniHawk said:
And in videos and in person.
The game just sucks.

What the hell is this?
Are you out of your mind?!
Mariokart DS is the best game available on the DS.
It is in fact the best kart racing game available. Period.
Get some glasses man.

The control is perfect
It runs at 60 fps
More characters and karts than ever before
It's also online

I think you Anihawk is the one that sucks. Seriously.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
={<SMOKE>}= said:
he loves it

Matlock

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I agree. For some reason, it just feels so... lame compared to MKDS.

It's probably the combination of the "tries too hard" art design and the gimmick of two guys per kart that do that. MKDS is similar in respects to the art design--but what's there is actually believeable as a vehicle. Even Dry Bones' main car, which itself is a skeleton, looks like it could be a car...

Unlike much of MKDD. :p

example of such:

This looks like ass. Seriously. A barrel with wooden wheels, woo. If not for the attachment of DK to barrels, it wouldn't make any sense.

Bad fucking ass. It's raw, it's animal, it's powerful--and it completely makes sense for Donkey Kong.

further examples:

vs.

Again--DD's designs are generic and clunky. DS's gives them a bit more character, and believeable racing designs.

last edit:

Thank god they retained Wario's pimpmobile, though. Coolest car ever. :D

I tried MarioKart DD yesterday nite and I was reminded how floaty the vehicles are. That always annoyed me. Also the lack of the hop as you being your dash is very disconcerting as you don't always know when you've entered "blue spark mode". I do like the graphics a lot tho and Baby Park still rules :)

Rlan

The DS versions of the tracks are pretty good, at least LOOK like the original tracks, though less poly.

What does annoy me though is that they took out a lot of the short cuts. Mushroom Bridge doesn't have the zoomers along the bridge, or the pipe entrance at the start line, or the little path on the outside of the main road after the first tunnel. Luigi Circut doesn't have the paths behind the Chomp-Chomp, and Yoshi Circut doesn't have the tunnel shortcut that you blindly jump for after the tunnel.

Cheep Cheep Beach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Peach Beach though.

hooo

boooy
Error2k4 said:
well the GC tracks in Mario Kart DS are the same except with less graphical details.

Nope, not true at all. In the Yoshi Circuit they removed the shortcut right before the finish (you have to drive off a cliff and into a tunnel in the side of another cliff), they removed some hazards like the pirana plants on the inside of some of the turns, and I think they also removed some of the turns. In Mushroom Bridge the trusses on the bridge can't be used as a shortcut. I don't know about the other two, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were tweaked too.

Top Bottom