• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass is at 23m subs as of April 20th 2021

23 Mill sounds just about right.. i feel like

Xbox has a base of xbox fans that is around 20- 40 million. every gen. Id be really surprised when it goes above 50 mill.

i dont feel like game pass will be reached beyond the xbox Loyals or the BC lovers. Give or take some new folks.

Last edited:
Three months of GamePass for $1.

Stockpiling Xbox Live Gold service (up to 36 months total), then converting it all to Game Pass Ultimate for just $1 extra through this deal - three years of Game Pass Ultimate for $181.

I thought this was well known? Part of the reason the service is popular with gamers is because it's a massive loss leader.
This argument gets weaker and weaker with every new milestone announcement

Banjo64

cumsessed
And without a 90+ Metacritic AAA game. Now just wait until that happens. That's when Playstation should be in panic mode.
I don’t know if you’re truthfully trying to engage in conversation here but it’s currently got;
Forza Horizon 4 (92 metacritic)
GTA V (97 metacritic)
Monster Hunter World (90 metacritic)
The Witcher 3 (93 metacritic)

Upcoming;
Flight Simulator (91 metacritic)

AA space;
Hollow Knight (not rated on Xbox or PS but 90 metacritic on Switch)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (90 metacritic)

There’s probably more that I’m forgetting and if you count 360 games there’s even more like Gears of War.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't see the title of Mod or Hall Monitor under your user name so if you don't have anything actually worthwhile to contribute, maybe you should just move along instead of doing your usual trolling.

OT - Very impressive numbers and like others have said these numbers will explode once the AAA first party games start hitting.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This forum puzzles me sometimes.

"Gamepass will be the death of gaming and is pushing a soulless subscription model that will degrade quality industry wide"
"Yes yes indeed. Agreed."
*also this sub*
*gamepass got more subs*
"YAAAAAAY WOOOOO GO MICROSOFT! YESSSS GAMEPASS!!"
:messenger_confused:
100% of the “Gamepass is terrible” GAFfers will immediately change their opinions the minute Sony announces their equivalent service.

MonarchJT

Banned

Xbox has a base of xbox fans that is around 20- 40 million. every gen. Id be really surprised when it goes above 50 mill.

i dont feel like game pass will be reached beyond the xbox Loyals or the BC lovers. Give or take some new folks.
lol na man. is simply the best deal in gaming right now ...and it's exploding

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

How I see it, if MS can get 50 million loyal customers that subscribe to gamepass they will be just as happy as say a Sony that has 120 million consoles sold but only 50 million of those subscribe to ps plus.

I mean I'm not privy to the costs etc and how it pays out from a profit perspective but you still have the same amount of subscribers on your service rolling in a monthly or yearly value.

Dabaus

Banned
One thing i dont understand about MS's current strategy is that no doubt most of these subs are on Xbox one and PC. So what happens when these next gen only games like avowed and fable start to drop and xbox series S/X hardware is till sitting at 10-15 million units sold 3 years into the generation? Does xcloud run the game for xbox one owners? Doesnt that sort of defeat the purpose of "12 teraflops," which raises the question, why have the series S/X in the first place?

Last edited:

MrSarcastic

Banned
I don’t know if you’re truthfully trying to engage in conversation here but it’s currently got;
Forza Horizon 4 (92 metacritic)
GTA V (97 metacritic)
Monster Hunter World (90 metacritic)
The Witcher 3 (93 metacritic)

Upcoming;
Flight Simulator (91 metacritic)

AA space;
Hollow Knight (not rated on Xbox or PS but 90 metacritic on Switch)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (90 metacritic)

There’s probably more that I’m forgetting and if you count 360 games there’s even more like Gears of War.

Don't be cute. You know what I mean.

New First-Party Games AAA or AAAA (lol) games that are designed to be day one on game pass.

A comparison would be the Mandalorian, Wanda Vision for Diney+ Or Stranger Things for Netflix. I think the only game that fits that premise is Halo Infinite...But it is going to be that 90+ game that Xbox has to be waiting for a long ass time or is it going to be another lackluster Halo entry? Only time will tell.

Stuart360

One thing i dont understand about MS's current strategy is that no doubt most of these subs are on Xbox one and PC. So what happens when these next gen only games like avowed and fable start to drop and xbox series S/X hardware is till sitting at 10-15 million units sold 3 years into the generation? Does xcloud run the game for xbox one owners? Doesnt that sort of defeat the purpose of "12 teraflops," which raises the question, why have the series S/X in the first place?
Eh?, it will be just like when the cross gen period ends this gen, everything will be on the next gen consoles, same with Gamepass.

Hugare

100% of the “Gamepass is terrible” GAFfers will immediately change their opinions the minute Sony announces their equivalent service.
You can bet your ass I won't

I see the benefits of GP for any Xbox owner (if I had one, I would be subed).

But I'm one of those that think that the math just doesnt make sense financially for MS. I see the pricing increasing a lot real soon.

Most importantly, I'm worried about AAA singleplayer games using this model.
I mainly play singleplayer games, and thats Sony's specialty.

See how many Netflix Originals are actually good, and how many shit they release.
After a certain amount of subs is reached, they wont give a damn anymore.

0ls3hIc.png
kDYzyjy.png

130548.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be cute. You know what I mean.

New First-Party Games AAA or AAAA (lol) games that are designed to be day one on game pass.

A comparison would be the Mandalorian, Wanda Vision for Diney+ Or Stranger Things for Netflix. I think the only game that fits that premise is Halo Infinite...But it is going to be that 90+ game that Xbox has to be waiting for a long ass time or is it going to be another lackluster Halo entry? Only time will tell.

Flight Sim comes out in 2-3 months and the new Forza is rumored to be coming out this year. I can see both of them getting the 90+. Halo Infinite too if they can get the campaign mode right while keeping the multiplayer awesome.

darthpaxton

Neo Member
It feels like 90% of this forum right now is discussions on "rumors" and other made up news. Why are we so obsessed about debating topics where the very premise is the figment of someone's imagination? Especially when the actual news is coming so shortly.
I do agree that the games media has a terrible problem right now with insiders and rumors, but Jez is a legitimate journalists with standards and a proven track record. If we're going to say that the current insider/rumor climate is bad, we need to also point to and celebrate those that you feel are doing it "the right way" and I think Jez is in that camp. The insider/rumor climate will exist as long as there's demand, so the best thing for all of us to do is support and magnify those doing it correctly to reduce the spotlight on those just seeking attention and spouting nonsense.

MrSarcastic

Banned
Flight Sim comes out in 2-3 months and the new Forza is rumored to be coming out this year. I can see both of them getting the 90+. Halo Infinite too if they can get the campaign mode right while keeping the multiplayer awesome.
Flight Sim is not new. The new Forza. Yes, that game has more chances to e a 90+ than Halo. Right now is just a rumor (but we know is coming anyway).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Up from 10 million last April.

13 million in 1 year.

36 million next year?
Microsoft is revealing today that it now has 15 million Xbox Game Pass subscribers. That’s up 50 percent from the 10 million the company previously disclosed back in April. Xbox Game Pass is a subscription service that offers access to a growing selection of more than 100 Xbox games for $9.99 per month.

FrankWza

I don't see the title of Mod or Hall Monitor under your user name so if you don't have anything actually worthwhile to contribute, maybe you should just move along instead of doing your usual trolling.

OT - Very impressive numbers and like others have said these numbers will explode once the AAA first party games start hitting.
The Sopranos Columbus GIF

I know it's a great value and nothing against those who enjoy the service, and I know it's been discussed at length, but I'm just not in favor of a "Netflix" model for gaming. I like to "own" and play my library at my leisure, and I also think that a subscription service will ultimately be a negative for the industry at large. It will gradually erode into a more "disposable/throwaway" mentality towards development and content imho. Passion and real creativity will ultimately die on the altar. (at least in terms of "mainstream" offerings)

In contrast, gamepass has a lot of xbox one, 360 and original xbox games as well as new games . In fact I've gone back to gems that I never got to play at the time.

Luckiky you'll also be able to buy your games as well as 'renting' them, and unsubscribe if you don't feel its worth it. There seems to be a misconception ON Gaf that once you subscribe you can ever leave..... Even if the service becomes bad.

NahaNago

13 million in 1 year.

36 million next year?
The growth is amazing but I was honestly expecting it to have more already considering how many great games have come to gamepass plus all of the deals.

Then again if they can really raise it by 10 million year after year for this gen. That would be insane and it is possible since they do have tons of studios now.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

13 million in 1 year.

36 million next year?
I can see it jumping up a lot when Halo and Starfield hit. If Starfield has good mod tools, then I can see a jump for PC users there as well. At the same time those games are releasing (as it stands now) when other bigger titles for other systems will also be releasing. I could see the number hitting 40 million next year. In general I think the end of this year will be crazy with big titles.

I want to see the users based on what hardware they use the service though.

longdi

Banned
Gamepass is the best thing to happen in console and PC gaming in a loooooong time. I feels old.

Let us be glad and celebrate as the subs goes up.
The more you subs, the more you save!

get sub'bing friends! :messenger_smiling:🤞

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
lol this is even without any big AAA release.

Exclusive ES6 is going to make the subs explode.
Exactly, still not 1 AAA from the 1st party studios. Looks like people really enjoy multiplats and “old” games contrarily to what some want to make you believe.

Andodalf

Banned
$181 could buy ALOT of games on steam XD... its cheap if you were already planning on having gold though /shrug but not cheap in a pure direct way of looking at it moneywise
It could buy 2 and 1/2 sony first party titles.

Id rather have every EA game (give or take 6 months), Every MS game, every Bethesda game, and about half of the other relevant AAA titles a few months out of launch.

longdi

Banned
$181 could buy ALOT of games on steam XD... its cheap if you were already planning on having gold though /shrug but not cheap in a pure direct way of looking at it moneywise

Steam? Not on day 1, not even on year 1. 🤷‍♀️

If you are a PC gamer, do the 3 years GPU now! While MS turns a blind eye still.

Follow these steps, easy 1-2-3 and you will understand the power of GPU!

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Three months of GamePass for $1.

Stockpiling Xbox Live Gold service (up to 36 months total), then converting it all to Game Pass Ultimate for just $1 extra through this deal - three years of Game Pass Ultimate for $181.

I thought this was well known? Part of the reason the service is popular with gamers is because it's a massive loss leader.
Three months of gamepass works only for the first time.

You can't buy a year of gold for 60, expect if you're happy to find some very old stock somewhere. It costs 120 a year now. Besides, even if it was 60 a year, 180 USD is not something I'd consider to be dirt cheap.

23m is good but watch MS's earnings next week to see how much it's actually bringing in.
Why does that matter?

Like Most subscription services, they don't turn profit or make much until it scales massively. Netflix didn't make money for ages yet their worth was always sky high.

If your saying you know more about financial then subscription services like this then perhaps you should go and work for MS 😂

Nubulax

Steam? Not on day 1, not even on year 1. 🤷‍♀️

If you are a PC gamer, do the 3 years GPU now! While MS turns a blind eye still.

Follow these steps, easy 1-2-3 and you will understand the power of GPU!

For just pure quanity of games ya and older games that you can find super cheap, plus the free games that have been on epic games store. Not gonna lie I may give it a chance at some point as there are some games on the list I just looked at that id prob try but my problem is I already have too many games I need to get through as it is.

Some of them that stood out... Octopath Traveler, Nier Automata, Ori, Outer Worlds, and maybe Master Chief collection

Its been on my mind about getting into Xbox ecosystem for years but they just havent had many MUST HAVES that I need to play basically all of last gen and so far this gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom