• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

For anyone planning to visit Westeros now. All is safe. Kinda.

*Watch out for a rather pissed off Dragon though.....:messenger_face_screaming:

c8a5f32cd433fed0cbe7146288a590c3.jpg

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's probably already been said, but I think it's funny that if Jaime and Cersei had just chosen to stand like 4 feet to the left, they'd be in the giant chasm of safe area that didn't get bombarded by falling debris.

Tyrion pulls away a few bricks to get inside, walks easily through the giant open area, finds a one pile of bricks, and that's where his family died.

It's probably already been said, but I think it's funny that if Jaime and Cersei had just chosen to stand like 4 feet to the left, they'd be in the giant chasm of safe area that didn't get bombarded by falling debris.

Tyrion pulls away a few bricks to get inside, walks easily through the giant open area, finds a one pile of bricks, and that's where his family died.

We better get our choking death in the book.

E-Cat

Intelligent Drogon: Quest for this chair is what made my mom mad and got her killed.

Dumb Drogon: This chair made up of lot of pointy things put a small pointy thing in my mom and killed her.
Third option: The dragon was venting out, melting the iron throne was just a coincidence (though symbolic).

ruvikx

Banned
Go fuck yourself Kit.

It's a show about Dragons, tits, political intrigue & massive battles, with twists & "shocking" moments along the way with a Shakespearian undertone. When over a million people woke up (pun unintended) in the morning & turned on rage mode because the story didn't go where they wanted, I say Kit Harrington has a point. Those youtubers are also making a living out of fuelling the rage as well, ergo they have a vested interest in partaking in a pitchfork circlejerk.

I honestly (I'm saying this as politely as possible) find the people with the most intense obsession in crapping all over the recent GoT seasons very strange. It's just a fictional story. That's all. I've had my moneys worth again, again & again with GoT since 2011. It's by far my favorite TV/Cinema piece of entertainment set in a medieval heroic/dark fantasy universe. If someone thinks Sopranos & Breaking Bad are better, good for them. But I don't like social drama & crime shows, so GoT wins for me.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Who are half the freaking people in that meeting?
When Tyrion mentions him being the three eyed raven like it's this great thing, how do they know what that even means?
They don't even know Bran and all agree to make him king?
After the north says peace we are independent, the iron islands and dorne don't do the same?

Greyworm would have executed Jon and Tyrion weeks ago, he wouldn't get a meeting together.
Where are the dothraki now?

Add to all that the terrible slow as hell pacing for a long episode, where barely anything happened, and it becomes some trash fire of the highest order.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Greyworm would have executed Jon and Tyrion weeks ago, he wouldn't get a meeting together.
Where are the dothraki now?

Add to all that the terrible slow as hell pacing for a long episode, where barely anything happened, and it becomes some trash fire of the highest order.

The Unsullied were trapped in Kings Landing & besieged by a northern army. Jon Snow was their hostage & also their lifeline. They had no dragon & no way to survive for long. I assume that part was pretty self-evident to most people. I get the need to criticize but some of the stuff I'm reading just comes across as bitter nit-picking. No offense.

So I know it has been said that spin-off shows won't have current cast, but man why not?

I could see this being like the CW superhero shows existing together and playing at the same time. Arya Goes West, Jon Beyond The Wall, Queen Sansa, I mean why not?

Javthusiast

Banned
So I know it has been said that spin-off shows won't have current cast, but man why not?

I could see this being like the CW superhero shows existing together and playing at the same time. Arya Goes West, Jon Beyond The Wall, Queen Sansa, I mean why not?

I doubt Martin wants them to continue this story beyond the books. Especially seeing how they were treated in the end.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I'm not interested in that kind of stuff. I really do wonder how much this ending will impact their spinoffs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The spinoff are different time periods, iirc

Kadayi

Banned

It's a nice idea, but I doubt very much whether any of the principals would want to jump from Thrones into an immediate Spin-off, plus GRRM essentially owns the characters. Given he still has yet to finish the books, and peoples final fates might still be in the balance (even if they survive the actual Game of Thrones itself) . Not saying Jon Snow: Beyond the Wall or Tales of the Small Council might not happen in 10 years time, but I think it's unlikely.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm glad the spin offs are not only prequels but prequels set hundreds or thousands of years before GoT.

I have no interest in seeing anymore of Jon/Arya/Sansa now, that ship has sailed. Show me something different that stands on its own merit.

I think the premise for Bloodmoon sounds really interesting and luckily no benioff & weiss in sight.

I guess the one silver lining in the ending is that we now don't have to argue about which was the better show on television. Breaking Bad still holds the throne.

Overall I'm just disappointed in how it played out. GoT really was something special for a long time and kinda fizzled into a wet fart.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
UNDER KING BRAN, THE FUTURE OF GAME OF THRONES COULD BE A TERRIFYING SURVEILLANCE STATE

The all-seeing Three Eyed Raven is a frightening choice for a ruler.

It’s bizarre that the first thing King Bran says when he rolls into the Small Council meeting is to complain about the lack of a Master of Whisperers because that position is now completely redundant. The entire point of Varys’ job was to gather information via a vast network of spies, many of them children, and pass it along to the king. This king, however, already knows more than any spymaster could gather. He’s the Three-Eyed Raven.

With Bran the Broken installed as king of Westeros, the seven/six kingdoms are now effectively a terrifying surveillance state. As demonstrated when he used his powers to reveal Littlefinger’s past deceptions, which led to his execution, Bran’s omniscient power to see anything and everything anyone does makes him the ultimate Big Brother – or Little Brother, in this case. And given that the previous Three-Eyed Raven lived for a thousand years, Bran’s totalitarian regime could last for a very long time (which makes the question of succession rather moot).

Bran’s power is like Batman’s cell phone sonar device from The Dark Knight turned up to 11. That system, which Lucius Fox described as “beautiful, unethical, dangerous” and “too much power for one person” could only see things as they happen, and only within Gotham; Bran can see everything that happens and everything that ever has happened, in all of Westeros and perhaps beyond. Between his ability to warg into animals and even people and to use the weirwoods to view any past event, no one will ever get away with scheming against the crown again. Depending on how aggressively he chooses to use those powers, Westerosis may not be able to get away with literally anything else, either.

It’s fair to say that Bran is a benevolent king who will use his power for the good of the realm. But the entire point of Daenerys’ madness was believing she knew what was right for everyone. Everybody thought she was on the up-and-up until her ends-justifies-the-means philosophy took things too far. Bran is the opposite extreme: where Dany was hotheaded, since becoming the Three-Eyed Raven Bran has been cold and emotionless, which could just as easily lead him to make decisions that might turn out well for future generations but not so hot for the people in the present. He was also willing to do ethically questionable things like warging into Hodor and controlling him without his consent, then sacrificing him to ensure his own escape, so he’s certainly capable using his power in less than perfect ways.

And what could anyone do about it? Unlike Dany, he’d see any assassination attempt coming a mile away – and the fact that Bran says he’s looking for Drogon is a little scary considering we never got an answer as to whether Bran can warg into a dragon and control it directly. If he can, you’d have a weapon of mass destruction in the hands of a ruler who knows everyone’s every move, making him all but unstoppable. So maybe things will go well for Westeros under King Bran the Broken, or maybe it’s headed for a future where thought crime is punishable by death from above. Since Game of Thrones ended before exploring this and many other post-war developments in depth, only the potential sequel/spin-off will tell.

Last edited:
It's a show about Dragons, tits, political intrigue & massive battles, with twists & "shocking" moments along the way with a Shakespearian undertone. When over a million people woke up (pun unintended) in the morning & turned on rage mode because the story didn't go where they wanted, I say Kit Harrington has a point. Those youtubers are also making a living out of fuelling the rage as well, ergo they have a vested interest in partaking in a pitchfork circlejerk.

I honestly (I'm saying this as politely as possible) find the people with the most intense obsession in crapping all over the recent GoT seasons very strange. It's just a fictional story. That's all. I've had my moneys worth again, again & again with GoT since 2011. It's by far my favorite TV/Cinema piece of entertainment set in a medieval heroic/dark fantasy universe. If someone thinks Sopranos & Breaking Bad are better, good for them. But I don't like social drama & crime shows, so GoT wins for me.

Indeed, it's been a fun ride. I'm "meh" about the ending but it's the end of an era. It's wrapped up.

Kadayi

Banned
UNDER KING BRAN, THE FUTURE OF GAME OF THRONES COULD BE A TERRIFYING SURVEILLANCE STATE

The all-seeing Three Eyed Raven is a frightening choice for a ruler.

It’s bizarre that the first thing King Bran says when he rolls into the Small Council meeting is to complain about the lack of a Master of Whisperers because that position is now completely redundant. The entire point of Varys’ job was to gather information via a vast network of spies, many of them children, and pass it along to the king. This king, however, already knows more than any spymaster could gather. He’s the Three-Eyed Raven.

With Bran the Broken installed as king of Westeros, the seven/six kingdoms are now effectively a terrifying surveillance state. As demonstrated when he used his powers to reveal Littlefinger’s past deceptions, which led to his execution, Bran’s omniscient power to see anything and everything anyone does makes him the ultimate Big Brother – or Little Brother, in this case. And given that the previous Three-Eyed Raven lived for a thousand years, Bran’s totalitarian regime could last for a very long time (which makes the question of succession rather moot).

Bran’s power is like Batman’s cell phone sonar device from The Dark Knight turned up to 11. That system, which Lucius Fox described as “beautiful, unethical, dangerous” and “too much power for one person” could only see things as they happen, and only within Gotham; Bran can see everything that happens and everything that ever has happened, in all of Westeros and perhaps beyond. Between his ability to warg into animals and even people and to use the weirwoods to view any past event, no one will ever get away with scheming against the crown again. Depending on how aggressively he chooses to use those powers, Westerosis may not be able to get away with literally anything else, either.

It’s fair to say that Bran is a benevolent king who will use his power for the good of the realm. But the entire point of Daenerys’ madness was believing she knew what was right for everyone. Everybody thought she was on the up-and-up until her ends-justifies-the-means philosophy took things too far. Bran is the opposite extreme: where Dany was hotheaded, since becoming the Three-Eyed Raven Bran has been cold and emotionless, which could just as easily lead him to make decisions that might turn out well for future generations but not so hot for the people in the present. He was also willing to do ethically questionable things like warging into Hodor and controlling him without his consent, then sacrificing him to ensure his own escape, so he’s certainly capable using his power in less than perfect ways.

And what could anyone do about it? Unlike Dany, he’d see any assassination attempt coming a mile away – and the fact that Bran says he’s looking for Drogon is a little scary considering we never got an answer as to whether Bran can warg into a dragon and control it directly. If he can, you’d have a weapon of mass destruction in the hands of a ruler who knows everyone’s every move, making him all but unstoppable. So maybe things will go well for Westeros under King Bran the Broken, or maybe it’s headed for a future where thought crime is punishable by death from above. Since Game of Thrones ended before exploring this and many other post-war developments in depth, only the potential sequel/spin-off will tell.

I don't think they've ever implied that Bran is omnipresent to all that is going on around him, he's just merely able to see into the past, and warg into animals when required. There's an inherent time cost to these things in terms of focus.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When over a million people woke up (pun unintended) in the morning & turned on rage mode because the story didn't go where they wanted,
That might be part of it, but a lot of the criticism is not because of that. Lots of people are fine with the Dany kills everyone result. What's off is not WHAT happened, but HOW it happened. Bad writing leads to tropes, cliches, and contrivances. Things that GRRM tries to avoid.

This article makes good points:

But all that is surface stuff. Even if the new season had managed to minimize plot holes and avoid clunky coincidences and a clumsy Arya ex machina as a storytelling device, they couldn’t persist in the narrative lane of the past seasons. For Benioff and Weiss, trying to continue what Game of Thrones had set out to do, tell a compelling sociological story, would be like trying to eat melting ice cream with a fork. Hollywood mostly knows how to tell psychological, individualized stories. They do not have the right tools for sociological stories, nor do they even seem to understand the job.

To understand the narrative lane shift, let’s go back to a key question: Why did so many love Game of Thrones in the first place? What makes it stand out from so many other shows during an era critics call the Second Golden Age of Television because there are so many high-quality productions out there?

The appeal of a show that routinely kills major characters signals a different kind of storytelling, where a single charismatic and/or powerful individual, along with his or her internal dynamics, doesn’t carry the whole narrative and explanatory burden. Given the dearth of such narratives in fiction and in TV, this approach clearly resonated with a large fan base that latched on to the show.

In sociological storytelling, the characters have personal stories and agency, of course, but those are also greatly shaped by institutions and events around them. The incentives for characters’ behavior come noticeably from these external forces, too, and even strongly influence their inner life.

Tellingly, season eight shocked many viewers by … not initially killing off the main characters. It was the first big indicator of their shift—that they were putting the weight of the story on the individual and abandoning the sociological. In that vein, they had fan-favorite characters pull off stunts we could root and cheer for, like Arya Stark killing the Night King in a somewhat improbable fashion.

Told sociologically, Dany’s descent into a cruel mass-murderer would have been a strong and riveting story. Yet in the hands of two writers who do not understand how to advance the narrative in that lane, it became ridiculous. She attacks King’s Landing with Drogon, her dragon, and wins, with the bells of the city ringing in surrender. Then, suddenly, she goes on a rampage because, somehow, her tyrannical genes turn on.

Varys, the advisor who will die for trying to stop Dany, says to Tyrion that “every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.” That is straight-up and simplistic genetic determinism, rather than what we had been witnessing for the past seven seasons. Again, sociological stories don’t discount the personal, psychological and even the genetic, but the key point is that they are more than “coin tosses”—they are complex interactions with emergent consequences: the way the world actually works.

Well-run societies don’t need heroes, and the way to keep terrible impulses in check isn’t to dethrone antiheros and replace them with good people. Unfortunately, most of our storytelling—in fiction and also in mass media nonfiction—remains stuck in the hero/antihero narrative. It’s a pity Game of Thrones did not manage to conclude its last season in its original vein. In a historic moment that requires a lot of institution building and incentive changing (technological challenges, climate change, inequality and accountability) we need all the sociological imagination we can get, and fantasy dragons or not, it was nice to have a show that encouraged just that while it lasted.

mekes

I get K.H sticking up for a lot of the workers. Pretty much everybody did an amazing job on S.8 , just not the writers. I understand why he would want to defend it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
it's not that dragons understand symbolism, it's just symbolism

goddamn people are overanalyzing everything
Not sure 'overanalyzing' is the right word, but some people surely are overdoing it. I hope they're at least having fun, 'cause from the side it looks a bit sad.

The pointless Ed Sheeran cameo in S7E1 was a sign this series was going south. I mean what were they thinking!? To shoe horn a scene where Arya meeting with a group of soldiers who were nice to her?? All because they are pals in real life?? I hate all these celebrity cameos like in Star Wars.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't think they've ever implied that Bran is omnipresent to all that is going on around him, he's just merely able to see into the past, and warg into animals when required. There's an inherent time cost to these things in terms of focus.

He can see the future, too (he saw the Sept Of Baelor exploding, Drogon flying over King's Landing, etc...).

Also, when he wargs an animal, he knows what that animal knows and feels.

Hell, he can even warg humans too.

Javthusiast

Banned
If it doesnt deal with political intrigue, but is rather a more simple adventure story about the battle against the walkers, then it could work out without any source material.

Last edited:
This is the showrunner of that prequel.

And they don't have any books to adapt.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm smelling a big catastrophe.

Well I don't want to come across as shallow or anything, but I think there are at least two juicy good reasons things maybe looking up for this prequel.

7642c81c75b4e9cdda7bda86897d9e56--jane-goldman-the-woman-in-black.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
If it doesnt deal with political intrigue, but is rather a more simple adventure story about the battle against the walkers, then it could work out without any source material.

I guess we are already lowering the bar.

Well I don't want to come across as shallow or anything, but I think there are at least two juicy good reasons things maybe looking up for this prequel.

7642c81c75b4e9cdda7bda86897d9e56--jane-goldman-the-woman-in-black.jpg

jane.jpg

If you like shaggy tits, sure.

Kadayi

Banned
He can see the future, too (he saw the Sept Of Baelor exploding, Drogon flying over King's Landing, etc...).

yeah, but his green visions are infrequent. It's not like he's going to tell you what number you're about to roll.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm smelling a big catastrophe.

The show has to impress the HBO board first. Like GOT they'll judge it on the pilot and decide whether it's a go or not. GOT ended up getting reshot with a couple of changes to the cast (Dany & Catelyn) before it got greenlit. If they don't think Goldman's project is up to the task in terms of production they'll shutter that project and look at developing one of the others they have in the works.

Barnabot

When people actually have listened to a prisoner about who should be elected as the ruler of all kingdoms and they take it as word and decided to elected a king based on a prisoner opinion. Even if the prisoner is no one other that Tyrion but still a prisoner .

Seems like Tyrion was the central part to this series finale. He convinced Jon to stop Danny. Elected a king even when he was still a prisoner for treason. He has elected Bran as the ruler of seven kingdoms. Actually six because of Sansa's vanity to not bend the knee to her own brother. Also Tyrion got promoted as the Hand by Bran. Well I have mixed feelings about having Tyrion as The Hand , again. Lately he's not the best of judgment but he... his brother and sister are now dead... so maybe he should not be as much as conflicted person as he was before. I don't know. That's why I don't think it was a very good idea to elect him as The Hand.

What about the Unsullied? No, what about the Dothraki? Since ep 4 they have multiplied to espetacular numbers. It's almost like not even half of the army had been wiped out since ep. 3. Actually they've multiplied. Actually all of Danny's army have drastically increased out of nowhere. No shit she was asking them to do more battles for her and they all seemed to be happy for going for more battles for her. /s

Last edited:

All complaints i've seen so far are about the writing. People aren't mad because the story "didn't go where they wanted". It's how we got there. The writing in this season was shit.
Acting, direction, production, everything but the writing was perfect. This is on D&D, not the cast or the technical crew.

I'll let my man Kit explain to you:

Top Bottom