• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

greyshark

The writing is so bad. Example...

Arya is going West. Because? No one knows what's west.

Forget that she is standing next to the Ultimate Spoiler Machine.... Bran The Broken (Da Fuck) who could easily tell her.

Moving on. How does she get there? By apparently taking a commercial fishing boat. She fucking Hitch Hiked to go where no one has gone before

NastySparseEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif

I thought she owned the boat - wasn’t that the one with the Stark banner flying?

Burnttips

Mixed feelings about the ending. All the storylines throughout the show were for no fucking reason. Makes going back and watching past episodes again pointless.
Best season to worse

dan76

Yeah, that was pretty poor. Though there have been worse episodes, and I kind of liked this season (except for episode 2). Hated the ending, spin off series incoming. So many better things they could have done, or at least handledin a better way.

I'm glad it's over, I'll never watch it again.

Valonquar

So what is Bran's tax policy? How will he use his warging to lead effectively? It certainly isn't helping him have a competent small council so far...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Bran is gonna be king in the books too if that makes any difference. If GRRM was telling the truth, anyway. This is roughly how the books will end, for better or for worse.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im happy with this ending

People will continue to bitch and moan though..regardless the outcome....

Looking forward for the spin off series when Drogon has the size of dragon Smaug and the same people who bitch and and moan and vows to never watch the show again to come and whine again as usual when to spin off series arrived...

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The writing is so bad. Example...

Arya is going West. Because? No one knows what's west.

Forget that she is standing next to the Ultimate Spoiler Machine.... Bran The Broken (Da Fuck) who could easily tell her.

Moving on. How does she get there? By apparently taking a commercial fishing boat. She fucking Hitch Hiked to go where no one has gone before

NastySparseEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif
I don't believe that was a fishing boat

Starks have boats now?
They've always owned boats😂

Last edited:

O-N-E

I don't see any way how Bran could be King in the books. The fuck is the point? How could he even be trusted as King when he can warg into feeble people and make them do his will? I'm also very certain his powers are tied to the Weirwood.NET. He needs to be plugged in for maximum efficiency.

When I predicted the ending near the beginning of this thread, I said there would be no more kings and Tyrion would be the first to serve as an elected Lord Protector of the realm. For now, I stand by that.

It's also really stupid how Jon had to be convinced by Tyrion to kill Dany.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like there should have been a tighter leash around these writers. Especially when they discussed the finale with George R. R. Martin. I cant imagine how rushed the whole "series finale" was. The shows production team can make a good show, but they basically need it all written out for them (in bold print, italicized characters, pictures, character names, etc). Season 8 is basically showing the weaker side of the writers. They got such an ego from the beginning and they couldn't end it. All this amazing plot building and it feels like someone got writer's block at the end. They couldn't finish it properly in my opinion.

I'd honestly rather watch Frodo Baggins going back to the Shire and seeing the credits roll.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I get why people dislike the finale, but my thing is I don't have a problem with the finale itself, I mean it had its issues, but the fault this season was not in the finale, it was the previous episodes that boxed them into a corner. In a vacuum the finale wasn't great, but putting it into the context that they made it almost impossible to end well based off the previous 3 episodes, I think they did ok with the mess they left themselves with. They put themselves in a no win situation.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't see any way how Bran could be King in the books. The fuck is the point? How could he even be trusted as King when he can warg into feeble people and make them do his will? I'm also very certain his powers are tied to the Weirwood.NET. He needs to be plugged in for maximum efficiency.

When I predicted the ending near the beginning of this thread, I said there would be no more kings and Tyrion would be the first to serve as an elected Lord Protector of the realm. For now, I stand by that.

It's also really stupid how Jon had to be convinced by Tyrion to kill Dany.
Maybe they will change Bran a lot differently in the books. But this was a contractual agreement, GRRM or HBO could sue each other if they changed stuff.

trikster40

I'm gonna have to give that a rewatch and then sleep on it before formulating a "deep take," however I have a couple small prelim thoughts and one question:

A.) Has the composer of this show won an Emmy before? The music this episode was phenomenal, as it tends to be for all "big episodes." The first 18 minutes I felt real sadness and dread, especially when Jon was walking up the steps towards Dany. Just excellent music for this series. Amazing work.

B.) I am glad it wasn't Arya. Giving Arya the NK and Dany in a three episode span would have been overkill.

C.) I am on board with almost everything except one thing, and here is my one question:

Jon's fate irked me right away, as it was announced. Felt very unfair to him, he was destined for more than that, in my mind. But that was me thinking he would go up there and start all over as peon again, which kinda pissed me off considering who he is and, first hope was he would at least take right back over as Lord Commander.

I don't even know what actually happened. So is he even really in the Watch, or is he just fully rogue living with the wildlings? Or both? I don't quite get what was happening there. If someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful. I'd like to think that whatever was going on there, whether he is a man of the watch "assigned" to live with the wildlings, or just a full on free wildling himself now, he can chose to have a family if he wants north of the wall.

Again, with almost everything else, I am on board. Not what I would have done, but I see it. They did break the wheel, essentially.

I guess I have a second question, are the rest of the Unsullied who didn't go with Grey Worm still living in Westeros? And the Dothraki?

I know there will be a lot of activity right now so if this gets skipped I will undestand, hopefully I can find these answers in the avalanche of YouTube videos coming this week.

One of my favorite shows of all time. First half the series was best TV ever. Great series. I am thankful for it. I will miss it.

Edit

Fuck I misspelled everything here. My bad

I think the Dothraki and Unsullied all went back east. Which is why I personally don’t understand why they even enforced Jon’s punishment. Who cares once they’re all gone?

And yes, I do think Jon abandoned the Nights Watch to live with the wildlings north of the wall. The look he gave at the end was one of someone who knew he’d never go through that gate again.

Reactions: 888

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't think Bran on the throne was great, but tbh I don't think anyone who was left was a good choice for the throne. I'd have problems with either. I think the best choice was for there to be no throne. But I don't think Sansa or Tyrion or Gendry would have made much sense on the throne either. Nor would Jon have.

RedVIper

Banned
I don't think Bran on the throne was great, but tbh I don't think anyone who was left was a good choice for the throne. I'd have problems with either. I think the best choice was for there to be no throne. But I don't think Sansa or Tyrion or Gendry would have made much sense on the throne either. Nor would Jon have.

Elective monarchy is possibly the worst system that has ever existed. We'll probably never get to see what happens next but the realistic scenario would be a ton of conflict between the kingdoms.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Elective monarchy is possibly the worst system that has ever existed. We'll probably never get to see what happens next but the realistic scenario would be a ton of conflict between the kingdoms.

I agree, I think the ending should have been getting rid of a monarchy, but in the confines of that still existing, Bran was an ok choice. He was a better choice than Jon, Sansa, or Tyrion, I can say that much.

Silvawuff

Safest ending ever. I feel like the way it was handled, they could have cut out at least three seasons with all the meaningless story lines they had going on.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I read so many fan propechy and fan theory before this episode aired

That includes Night King epic comeback, Jon Snow become King, Sansa become queen of seven kingdom, Arya kills Drogon, Drogons burns everything alive, Grey Worm grows his dick back, Tormund married Brienne, Tony Stark become king and many more...

And i also bet everyone who petitioned about season 8 remake wouldve forgotten about the show in just couple weeks and will be too busy talking back about Playstation 5 rumours

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
And now you know how grrm's massively overrated book series ends. Can't say I didn't enjoy the show though. Hats off to the cast and crew for a great ride.

I read so many fan propecy before this epusode aired

That includes Night King epic comeback, Jon Snow become King, Sansa become king, Arya kills Drogon, Drogons burns everything alive, Grey Worm grows his dick back, Tormund married Brienne, Tony Stark become king and many more...

And i also bet everyone who petitioned about season 8 remake wouldve forgotten about the show in just couple weeks and will be too busy talking back about Playstation 5 rumours

Brienne should have hooked back up with Tormund and gave him some of the milk he really wanted.

Grey Worm remains dick less as he should.

So Jon killed their Queen so the unsullied/dothrakis imprisoned him. And they were planning to do what? They obviously didn't do anything to him and Tyrion until the meeting with others. Were they all sitting and thinking damn we don't have a king or queen so what do we do now? How will we do anything without anyone giving us a command.

Arkage

Banned
Im happy with this ending

People will continue to bitch and moan though..regardless the outcome....

Looking forward for the spin off series when Drogon has the size of dragon Smaug and the same people who bitch and and moan and vows to never watch the show again to come and whine again as usual when to spin off series arrived...

I also like how Bran is going to find the dragon so he can..... continue to rule peacefully and wisely? Lol k.

RedVIper

Banned
So Jon killed their Queen so the unsullied/dothrakis imprisoned him. And they were planning to do what? They obviously didn't do anything to him and Tyrion until the meeting with others. Were they all sitting and thinking damn we don't have a king or queen so what do we do now? How will we do anything without anyone giving us a command.

That kinda made sense, they are brain washed slaves that spent their entire lives following orders.

greyshark

All of the power was centralized around Dany - with John killing her I’m surprised there wasn’t immediate all out war between the Unsullied and the Northman.

Top Bottom