• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, how did you manage homework growing up?

JordanN

Banned
Just something that came up in my head.

I've seen media and news report lament homework as being a waste of time but I honestly never had a problem with it or even considered it hard.

I recall coming from from school, just spending 30 minutes answering questions or writing down notes from an assigned textbook, and boom, done. I literally had the rest of the day to do whatever. Watch TV, play games, go outside etc.

And I don't even consider myself to be a nerd. It was just something drilled inside me. Just finish your homework as soon as possible and then immediately start playing.

Otherwise, it was always straight up piss easy.

Video related:

4axucs.jpg

Tesseract

Banned
depends on the years

most of the time i rushed down everything during lunch, or scribbled through what remained on bus rides home

around high school i started driving and got a job, outright skipped school to level design in hammer, code, play cs with friends

survived a couple years off tests and exams, teachers hated my guts

Tesseract

Banned
we had a retarded test in florida called fcat, consumed a great deal of study time

learned valuable lessons around that time about math and physics, how you must calculate everything yourself and make a determination

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I forget doing it to be honest but I know that I did everything else I enjoyed first like games and hanging out with friends and then I would do it quickly with whatever time I had left, I don't recall it taking up a lot of my free time outside of school, and I still got pretty good grades.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In elementary school and junior high I did it because the teachers checked.

But high school nobody cares. So never really did it. Just took notes and studied the night before. Worked like a charm

teezzy

Banned
One of my fondest memories as a kid was being in third/fourth grade and writing numerous book reports on books which didn't even exist.

Honestly, just the creativity involved in that was probably far more educational than anything they'd ever have taught me formally at that age.

JordanN

Banned
One of my fondest memories as a kid was being in third/fourth grade and writing numerous book reports on books which didn't even exist.

Honestly, just the creativity involved in that was probably far more educational than anything they'd ever have taught me formally at that age.
I'll be honest, I did hate the book report assignments.

Not because I didn't like to read (quite the opposite, especially as I'm on a forum right now) but because teachers would assign some of the most random and uninteresting books ever.

So yeah, it is one of those times where I just wrote down something just to get a passing mark and not because I ever liked the book.

Although there where times I did get a bad ass book that the entire classroom fell in love with.

X6aagDm.jpg

Like Silverwing. Incredibly based.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I only did Elementary in public (homeschooled), but I just did it straight away. Life lesson to get the boring stuff out of the way first, and have the rest of your time for fun, without a 'gotta do it' cloud hanging over you the entire time.

Last edited:

PSYGN

I started getting C's on my report cards. My bro was getting A's. My dad decided he would give us $10 for every A on our report card which basically amounted to a new game when we were younger so I applied myself and part of that was doing homework.

In high school if I had any homework I would often find pockets of time at the end of classes to do them.

Thurible

Homework was always pretty easy except for math (to this day I loathe the subject. It's so complicated and one mistake screws up the whole thing, so you have to do it multiple times with so many different variables utilizing different processes in an equation. My head hurt after a while. I remember while studying as a kid I had to sit down with my Dad and do literal tons of problems through the night to try to get the concepts and it just wouldn't stick sometimes.) I occassionally procrastinated but I always did get things done and I always made it a point to arrive early and sit at the front. My Dad had a saying "Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable" and it is a good way to do things. Handing in something late would just be plain wrong as we should always aim for success and think about the other people we may be inconveniencing.

I remember one time I had to write some essays for a theology class and we were on spring break and I forgot when it was due so I did it all in one night (I was freaking out), turns out those essays were due on dates spread out throughout the month. So I didn't have any more work to do in class for a while and I apparently did well (I believe they were all As or ABs) despite writing everything in one night 😆.

i think math has such great potential to be taught in a much more interesting way, and more efficiently.. and to EVERYONE, even slackers and students who dont give a fuck

id always hear from other students "like wtf are u gonna use math for in real life lol??"

and it makes sense, theyre right but only because of how its taught

so much shit you can nail using math, especially if you are a creative hands on builder type

i use unit conversions and algebra so often in everyday life

trigonometry is such a beautiful tool if you work with boxes and circles and cones and shit

i even used 3d calculus once to find the volume of objects i made up

theres a real colorful artfulness about math that doesnt get taught in the way it deserves to be taught, it really tickles your curiosity

Wvrs

I didn't do it. My parents didn't take much interest in me and I realised there were no real consequences for not doing it.

I bunked off a lot too. I was a terrible student.

The irony is I'm now a school teacher.

Cutty Flam

Banned
One time in 7th grade english class I told my homie to eat my table mate’s / seat partner’s homework and there was a 20 in it for him after the deed was done. I cant remember if I was pissed or just getting revenge for him being a prick earlier that year or what, or if I did it just for the fuck of it but my boy was in...

I remember things were actually going good that day at the end of class, we were all having fun like 20 minutes later, joking around laughing and what not (after I had made the preposal) but my friend still took bro’s sheet of homework, crumpled it into a ball of paper shoved the entire thing in his mouth and ate it

Dude was in disbelief, I was dead, my friend was very amused all while trying his best to consume the homework, people were wondering what the fuck was going on and the homie we set up to fail basically was just sort of laughing in disbelief telling others what had just happened. He actually tried telling our teacher that my boy ate his homework fucking lmao. She wasn’t buying it either. Solid win that day

notseqi

as parental supervision got less and less I stopped doing it, copied it or bullshitted my way through the years. most teachers liked me despite being a bit of a dick, they probably ehhhh'd my antics because I didn't disturb their lesson

Last edited:
I never really had that much. Florida public school system was a trainwrek 25 years ago and it's even worse today.
I graduated with a 3.75 gpa and I wasn't even there 3/4's of my senior year.

Elcid

Banned

I've seen media and news report lament homework as being a waste of time but I honestly never had a problem with it or even considered it hard.

I recall coming from from school, just spending 30 minutes answering questions or writing down notes from an assigned textbook, and boom, done. I literally had the rest of the day to do whatever. Watch TV, play games, go outside etc.

And I don't even consider myself to be a nerd. It was just something drilled inside me. Just finish your homework as soon as possible and then immediately start playing.

Video related:

Always did the bare minimum as late as possible. Worked for me even through my master’a program 😘

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Always did the bare minimum as late as possible. Worked for me even through my master’a program 😘

This. Unfortunately it leads to late nights and scrambling to get shit done at the last second because I didn’t learn any better until recently, and even now it’s a struggle to not fall into that trap

Nester99

I rushed all my work and finished it during school time. I refused to take it home and do it later. I did the work but rushed.

This worked well In High school but fucked me over in college and I had to revisit my strategy.

Tesseract

Banned
One time in 7th grade english class I told my homie to eat my table mate’s / seat partner’s homework and there was a 20 in it for him after the deed was done. I cant remember if I was pissed or just getting revenge for him being a prick earlier that year or what, or if I did it just for the fuck of it but my boy was in...

I remember things were actually going good that day at the end of class, we were all having fun like 20 minutes later, joking around laughing and what not (after I had made the preposal) but my friend still took bro’s sheet of homework, crumpled it into a ball of paper shoved the entire thing in his mouth and ate it

Dude was in disbelief, I was dead, my friend was very amused all while trying his best to consume the homework, people were wondering what the fuck was going on and the homie we set up to fail basically was just sort of laughing in disbelief telling others what had just happened. He actually tried telling our teacher that my boy ate his homework fucking lmao. She wasn’t buying it either. Solid win that day
:pie_roffles:

I postponed it to the very last second if I did it at all. (I got very good grades though, and graduated near the top of my class despite the following incident I'll share.)

I have a (to me) very funny story about homework though. When I was in high school taking Algebra I had a major conflict with a teacher. I would usually only do enough homework to make sure I understood things (in any subject). Once I was comfortable, I'd drop it - if it was possible to do in the subject. Granted there were times where teachers were ridiculous sticklers about doing it regardless, but in this instance, I drew a line in the sand.

My teacher would spend the first part of most classes going around the room asking random students for their answers on the previous day's homework. When she got to me, I'd honestly reply, "I didn't do it." to the amusement of my classmates and annoyance of my teacher. This all led eventually to a debate that raged pretty intensely in-class for multiple full class periods.

I was sick of being forced to do things simply for the sake of doing them - busy work. And my teacher was immovable on the idea that homework would remain a (significant) portion of the grade. I was getting A's on the tests and I questioned her (this was all done in class - it was a huge spirited debate with me and my teacher at the center of things) on why we do homework in the first place. To be fair, she did acknowledge that it was to learn things. To which, I responded of course, that I've demonstrated that I've learned the things she is teaching repeatedly.

She insisted that it wasn't fair to have one standard for some students and another for others - which is reasonable. I countered that homework should be stricken from factoring into grading altogether. (Granted, I knew I would lose this debate, but I didn't care at some point in this conflict.) She informed me in front of the whole class multiple times that if I didn't do enough of my homework and that if it impacted my grade sufficiently, she would have no problem failing me in the class.

My response was that if she thinks failing a student who is demonstrating mastery of a subject via the evaluations she herself gives them is a reasonable thing to do in a profession where the goal is to impart knowledge, that she should go ahead and fail me. And she did, lol. I expected it to happen, but I had had my fill of the idea that you just must do what you are told without questioning. (The real *purpose* of schooling.) I had no further dialogue with her about it in the aftermath, but I always wondered how she felt about it - both failing a student getting A's on tests and the fact that a student upheld her classes with long debates about why we are in school in the first place.

I did retake the course with another teacher the following semester and got all A's of course. (teacher had no homework requirements for grading.) But that was such a mentally stimulating period for me where I had an early realization that the system is there to enforce arbitrary measures - to keep everyone on the treadmill. Don't think, just do what you're told / what is expected of you. There's no real allowance for challenging the status quo.

On weekedays I tried to get on my homework assignments soon as possible. The faster I finished the faster I can get to watching TV and playing video games. On weekends postponed it until the last minute. I never thought the teacher would read every book report, so I just made shit up based on what I read on the back of the book and the couple pages I skimmed through.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i just did it when i had to. sometimes i got a hard start in class when other kids were just sitting in their seats staring at the wall.

everyone is a fucking baby these days, of course they would have a problem with homework

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Math was really the only class that consistently had homework. I don't think I had a single teacher that required all the homework to be done on time and they'd accept it submitted once per quarter. Later in high school, your entire grade was almost entirely quizzes and exams which isn't too different than college.

Well foreign language had a lot of homework also but, like math, repetition is the key so that makes sense.

History and English had the occasional paper or report that you had to write. Of course you had to read a bunch of stuff outside of class but that wasn't a big problem.

I remember doing big projects for science courses but nothing too awful.

I dunno, I vaguely remember atrocious amounts of homework that amounted to busywork from like 5th grade through 7th grade before leveling off a bunch.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I never had any, or I just finished my school work at school since classes were too easy then.

BigBooper

Usually right after school. I didn't have a ton very often. I went to a self teaching private school, so you set your own goals for the next day. If you didn't meet them, then you had homework.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I postponed it to the very last second if I did it at all. (I got very good grades though, and graduated near the top of my class despite the following incident I'll share.)

I have a (to me) very funny story about homework though. When I was in high school taking Algebra I had a major conflict with a teacher. I would usually only do enough homework to make sure I understood things (in any subject). Once I was comfortable, I'd drop it - if it was possible to do in the subject. Granted there were times where teachers were ridiculous sticklers about doing it regardless, but in this instance, I drew a line in the sand.

My teacher would spend the first part of most classes going around the room asking random students for their answers on the previous day's homework. When she got to me, I'd honestly reply, "I didn't do it." to the amusement of my classmates and annoyance of my teacher. This all led eventually to a debate that raged pretty intensely in-class for multiple full class periods.

I was sick of being forced to do things simply for the sake of doing them - busy work. And my teacher was immovable on the idea that homework would remain a (significant) portion of the grade. I was getting A's on the tests and I questioned her (this was all done in class - it was a huge spirited debate with me and my teacher at the center of things) on why we do homework in the first place. To be fair, she did acknowledge that it was to learn things. To which, I responded of course, that I've demonstrated that I've learned the things she is teaching repeatedly.

She insisted that it wasn't fair to have one standard for some students and another for others - which is reasonable. I countered that homework should be stricken from factoring into grading altogether. (Granted, I knew I would lose this debate, but I didn't care at some point in this conflict.) She informed me in front of the whole class multiple times that if I didn't do enough of my homework and that if it impacted my grade sufficiently, she would have no problem failing me in the class.

My response was that if she thinks failing a student who is demonstrating mastery of a subject via the evaluations she herself gives them is a reasonable thing to do in a profession where the goal is to impart knowledge, that she should go ahead and fail me. And she did, lol. I expected it to happen, but I had had my fill of the idea that you just must do what you are told without questioning. (The real *purpose* of schooling.) I had no further dialogue with her about it in the aftermath, but I always wondered how she felt about it - both failing a student getting A's on tests and the fact that a student upheld her classes with long debates about why we are in school in the first place.

I did retake the course with another teacher the following semester and got all A's of course. (teacher had no homework requirements for grading.) But that was such a mentally stimulating period for me where I had an early realization that the system is there to enforce arbitrary measures - to keep everyone on the treadmill. Don't think, just do what you're told / what is expected of you. There's no real allowance for challenging the status quo.

Lol daaam. What a punk as$ teacher if u were aceing the tests u shldnt have to retake it. Hw shld only be like 15% of the grade.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Video related:

I showed up on a special pass into the school 2-hours prior to regular operation (like 5:30 every morning) and worked with a tutor. Unfortunately, the strategy didn't exist for all four colleges I attended between 2005 and 2012 and I left art school educated but without a diploma. Somehow...I'm a teacher now 🤓 (that was through certification, though)

Yes, homework is important whether a person choses to graduate college or not. You won't pass a single exam skipping classes or homework.

Paltheos

Depends on when my study period was assigned. Late study hall is the best because I just started working immediately but morning one's worked too if I knew how long assignments would take. I... think I stayed after school if need be and took 'the late buses' back if need be. I'm sure I did work at home but I don't remember too much of it. I think I probably minimized it because carrying so many textbooks is a nightmare.

tldr I did all my homework.

Top Bottom