• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are all cats this fucking annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This basically sums up how I feel about cats. Sure, if you like pets that give nothing back to you other than looking cute from time to time, absolutely do not give a shit about you, and have way more annoying habits than most other pets, go for it.

Dogs are so much better, it's not even fair to compare them.

Mumei

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen to anything you say. No matter how many times you yell at them or tell them not to do something or not to go somewhere, it won't make a difference. They might stop for a minute, but turn around and there they go again. With dogs, you can actually see them be sad and remorseful if you chastise them. Cats don't give a fuck.

All part of the appeal.

2XNB7ZY.gif

But seriously, cats actually vary; some are more interested in you than others. My neighbor's cat loves me. <3

KevinCow

Banned
This basically sums up how I feel about cats. Sure, if you like pets that give nothing back to you other than looking cute from time to time, absolutely do not give a shit about you, and have way more annoying habits than most other pets, go for it.

And here we have a person who has never interacted with a cat in any meaningful way.

UFO

Banned
Cats are funny, they're dumb and don't listen to anything you say. That's what makes them likable. Plus they're soft and warm when you pick them up.

Kammie

My favorite part is when I come back from a vacation and my cats don't even bother to greet me, they just sit there and glare or hide under a bed.

With the exception of the hair problem, it's all part of the appeal. They're just hilarious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably doesn't help, but the cats think the same thing about you. Your skin cells are flaking all over the place and all your crap is lying around. No matter how many times they tell you to shut the fuck up, you never do it. You were loyal to some other girl for years, now you dont even talk to her. And you're constantly getting up in the morning, making a racket in the kitchen and bathroom while they are trying to sleep in.

I imagine there is a post on the neocat forums entitled "Are all humans this fucking annoying?"
Hahahaha this is awesome.

What is it with orange cats being big?
Heh, I used to have an orange cat who was super bony. A female orange cat, too, which somehow seems more rare. She was ridiculously skinny, you could feel the bones under all that hair (she was semi-long-haired), but she was very healthy regardless, never had health problems and lived to very old age.

AQbzMD2.jpg

WxgtkXi.jpg

<3

Machine

My favorite part is when I come back from a vacation and my cats don't even bother to greet me, they just sit there and glare or hide under a bed.

With the exception of the hair problem, it's all part of the appeal. They're just hilarious.

I wish my cat was a little more aloof. She greets me at the door every time I come home, follows me from room to room, frequently insists on sitting in my lap or right next to me, and will come up next to me and wrap her tail around my leg if I stand still for more than a minute or two.

KevinCow

Banned
LOL, skip a few steps much?

I've been around and interacted with plenty of cats in my time. My brother has one. It's not for me.

I said meaningful interaction. Not, "I went to my brother's house once and his cat didn't immediately beg for my attention and jump up and slobber in my face like a dog would, therefore all cats are assholes."

Cats can be every bit as affectionate as dogs. They're just not idiots who give that affection to literally everyone. You have to earn their trust and their friendship. You might know this if you'd had any meaningful interactions with them before dismissing their entire species.

strata8

Every cat is different. Mine greets me and rubs against my legs when I come home. He'll also sit in my lap at every opportunity, and paw at my door so he can come in and sleep on my bed. Doesn't scratch shit up, he's got a scratching post for that.

My girlfriends cat is completely different. Affectionate enough but won't ever sit near/on you, and relentlessly rips apart the side of her lounges.

I wonder how much of it is nature vs. nurture. Male vs. female, outdoor vs. indoor, etc

Fink

Cats are great for snuggles (warm, soft, flexible, not bony and awkward like dogs) and they act funny sometimes. Low maintenance. Quiet, at least mine are anyway.

The hair stinks though. Never minded it having grown up with them but ever since I developed allergies I'm a neat freak about it. But if I wasn't allergic to them cats would be my #1 pet.

highrider

Banned
In my experience, cats kind of demand that you get them. It's not an amuse me furry creature kind of pet. If you treat a cat right they actually are really loyal, and can be very friendly pets.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
That GTA gif... =/

I was always worried that was going to happen when I played the game. I'd actually assumed that it couldn't, but would still give cats a wide berth to avoid startling them.

I said meaningful interaction. Not, "I went to my brother's house once and his cat didn't immediately beg for my attention and jump up and slobber in my face like a dog would, therefore all cats are assholes."

Cats can be every bit as affectionate as dogs. They're just not idiots who give that affection to literally everyone. You have to earn their trust and their friendship. You might know this if you'd had any meaningful interactions with them before dismissing their entire species.

Dogs are more intelligent than cats, friendo. Most dogs dont give their love to everyone, in fact some are notorious for only really bonding with one or a few people.

Cats are pretty dumb and basic and lovable animals. Feed them, keep them warm, and leave some junk around for them to play with and they are good and will like you. Dogs require a little more stimulation in their play and bond with you.

Source: The large number of cats and dogs my family and I have had over the years, including the two dogs and five cats currently.

I feel like most cats are awful. However, I have two, and they're the sweetest boys. they live to cuddle. No scratching. They come when I call them.

The hair though :/

OP, you truly sound like a piece of shit. Or at least completely oblivious how to live with cats. Maybe go to the library and pick up "Cats for dummies" from O'Reilly as a starter pack.

Kangi

My family owns two cats. They both showed up in our backyard on separate occasions and then decided to never leave, so we took them in. The older one has been the most spiteful, malicious, whiny animal I've ever come in contact with. Yet she's managed to get somewhat better over the years. The younger one, on the other hand...

She antagonizes all of our other pets. She refuses to ever *not* get attention - and then refuses to receive it. She is absolutely terrified of every other thing that moves (and many things that don't). She gorges herself on her food so ferociously that it causes her to throw up... and then she goes right back to eating.

Multiple times a day she will exit her litter box, scrape one foot on the mat, put that foot back into her litter box, scrape the other foot on the mat, put it back in the box, then take the first foot and scrape it on the mat again because it's covered in kitty litter again. This can go for upwards of fifteen minutes, at which point she just decides to walk out and cover the floor with it.

And sometimes, in the middle of the night, she will meow. And meow. And not stop meowing. This can last until the morning. There is no discernible way to stop her; giving her any attention fuels it.

We have to keep them corralled in certain rooms of the house, or they'll eat the house plants. Opening the door into a room they're in causes them to run full speed toward freedom and green, leafy food. Years of trying to dissuade them or stop them with anything but force have yielded nothing. You cannot train them. If they decide a piece of decor is their new favorite plaything, you have no choice but to remove the item entirely. If they decide they do not like your dog, you have to keep a constant eye on them or they will literally attack it. This is the fate of our old, blind pug.

I am not a cat person.

IgjQa2E.gif

Reason 1 - their fucking hair gets everywhere. depends on the cat. Some dogs have the same problem. The biggest problem is that some people don't clean their house enough though (every day when you have a dog or a cat). Ask your girl to vacuum more or help her with it.

Reason 2 - they don't fucking listen. They don't. They can't understand a word you say.
If you like barking around orders because you want to feel you have some fake sense of dominance, buy a dog or order a bride from abroad.

Reason 3 - they're disloyal as fuck. They's pretty loyal (well, not human loyal, whatever that means) but they will accept kindness from strangers.

Reason 4 - they scratch the shit out of you. Depends on the cat. Our cat doesn't.

Reason 5 - they will ruin your shit. yeah, that sucks. Not all cats do that though but most do. That's def. a point i dislike about cats. Some dogs will ruin your home.

Reason 6 - they're annoying as fuck. Especially at night. Most are. Some are chill, even at night. But they are nocturnal animals by nature i think. Make sure they can do their thing outside.

Now I want to play Fallout 4.

We had to spend sunday's evening trying to play Zombicide whille a kitten would make things impossible trying to claw us (they called it "playing"). We knew where the furball was by which player was saying "fuck!". I could really have used a water spray.

PS: I love dogs.

Berordn

My cat is fantastic. He's chill, comes when you call him (unless he's really, really interested in his latest hunting trophy), cuddles up at night and always wants to be by someone's side.

It's almost like they're individuals with unique personalities.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I never liked cats, and probably never will. They're incapable of loving their owners like Dogs do. They are incapable of learning their names like dogs can, and are incapable of learning commands and doing tricks. They won't follow you around without a leash like a dog would. They're evil too. All dogs go to heaven, so where do cats go ? They're cute when they're kittens, but once they get big its a different story. All they do is eat,sleep, and lick themselves. They don't give a damn about their owners like a dog does. When you walk in a house your cat will run or hide form you, while your dog runs up to you excited waging his/her tail and following you around.

Dogs are more intelligent than cats, friendo. Most dogs dont give their love to everyone, in fact some are notorious for only really bonding with one or a few people.

Cats are pretty dumb and basic and lovable animals. Feed them, keep them warm, and leave some junk around for them to play with and they are good and will like you. Dogs require a little more stimulation in their play and bond with you.

Source: The large number of cats and dogs my family and I have had over the years, including the two dogs and five cats currently.

You see, this is weird to me. People seem proud that their dog only seems to like them. A lot of dogs can goddamn infuriating, sometimes dangerous even, when they dislike other people.

Apparently dog owners on neogaf have never had a dog that won't stop barking at neighbors. Or had a dog that begs for food, or just eats random objects for attention.

And a lot of dogs eat their own shit, so the intelligence debate between dogs and cats is somewhat pointless to me.

neurosyphilis

Cats are great for snuggles (warm, soft, flexible, not bony and awkward like dogs) and they act funny sometimes. Low maintenance. Quiet, at least mine are anyway.

The hair stinks though. Never minded it having grown up with them but ever since I developed allergies I'm a neat freak about it. But if I wasn't allergic to them cats would be my #1 pet.

How are dogs awkward ? Cats are the weird ones.

neurosyphilis

I find dogs infinitely more annoying. They constantly need attention, they bark all the time at the smallest things or even nothing at all, they shit in the house if you don't let them out, and they're FAR more destructive than cats. Yeah, a cat might knock something off a table, but a dog will rip a giant fucking hole in your mattress for no goddamn reason.

A trained dog won't poop in the house. They'll wait by the door or actually come and get you. Something cats aren't smart enough to even fathom.

jeemer

I'm a huge dog lover, not the biggest fan of cats in general (partly because of allergies, partly because of douchebag cats I've known) although I've met a couple super chill little bros.

Once the toxoplasmosis kicks in properly I hear you'll adore the little buggers though.

I never liked cats, and probably never will. They're incapable of loving their owners like Dogs do. They are incapable of learning their names like dogs can, and are incapable of learning commands and doing tricks. They won't follow you around without a leash like a dog would. They're evil too. All dogs go to heaven, so where do cats go ? They're cute when they're kittens, but once they get big its a different story. All they do is eat,sleep, and lick themselves. They don't give a damn about their owners like a dog does. When you walk in a house your cat will run or hide form you, while your dog runs up to you excited waging his/her tail and following you around.

They're not for the insecure, the needy or the entitled, that's for sure.
They're no circus act and they're not as submissive as some people would like.

Huh, my cat knows his name and comes when I call him...about 80% of the time. Lol

andycapps

I'm not really a cat person, but we have two and also a boxer. The boxer is my dog and the cats are my wife and daughter's. They're okay and have their moments. As cats go one of them is really personable and loves attention. The other wants attention on her terms, but will get mad if it's not her idea.

Much more of a dog person. When I leave the room for 2 seconds, my dog thinks it's been an eternity and responds accordingly. Always excited to see me.

But the cats are just annoying and whiny when we get home. I guess that's better than them not caring, but man, the constant meows for about 10 minutes is something. That said, it's better than them not even acknowledging us when we walk in like some cats do.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

DuSLbMe.gif

This is really one of your talking points about how dogs are superior to cats? Spoiler : "Evil" dogs also exist, and they sure don't go to "dog heaven" after they maul a kid.
I'm not sure why I even bother replying to the rest because you sound like a joke character...but cats don't act all the same, mine love me and sure as hell don't run away from me when I come home. They follow me and my gf all around the apartment and sometimes even sleep with us.

MrChom

I agree with OP. I know some people like them but dear lord cats seem like objectively the worst pets imaginable....well outside of, like, a Rhino, or a free range colony of Scorpions.

As far as I'm concerned the only reason they don't attack and eat humans on sight is they lack the opposable thumbs to open their own damn cans of food.

All I hear from people is "Aww, isn't it sweet" at random youtube videos of "Funny things my cat does". No, it's not sweet, it's a cat. It'a ball of allergy causing fur, claws, and a mind devoted to tricking humans into being kept by them as pets.

Yes, yes, there's some pretty evil dogs too because we decided it was a good idea to breed for aggressiveness in some breeds...don't worry they'll be so inbred in a few years those breeds will probably begin to vanish.

tl;dr Cats, man, what do people see in them...

Matt

I had a cat when I was younger, Tigger. Tigger had come from a shelter and almost never wanted to be around anyone, except for me, though he usually tolerated my mom and little sister. He especially never wanted to deal with my other cat and my dog, who were both great friends and always wanted to play with Tigger too.

Tigger had a habit of getting out of the house, even though he was an inside cat. I was always worried when he got out, but he always came home, and knew to go to my window to scratch at it so I would know to let him in the front door.

Anyway, the point of this story is once when my Mom was walking my dog Lucky, another dog came up to him and started barking and growling at him. Lucky was a small dog who always wanted to play with everyone, so he kept trying to get to the other dog, who was apparently huge. Then, out of NOWHERE, Tigger appeared, got right in-between the two dogs, and started hissing at and swatting at the larger one. My Mom was dumfounded.

The big dog backed down, and moved away. Tigger then looked at Lucky and my Mom, walked around Lucky, and ran off again.

I always thought this event was amazing. Even though Tigger, for all we ever saw, actively disliked Lucky, when he was in danger, Tigger jumped into the fray for him. I always tell that story to anyone that thinks cats can't care about their owners or other family members.

I miss you, Tigger.

neurosyphilis

I agree with OP. I know some people like them but dear lord cats seem like objectively the worst pets imaginable....well outside of, like, a Rhino, or a free range colony of Scorpions.

As far as I'm concerned the only reason they don't attack and eat humans on sight is they lack the opposable thumbs to open their own damn cans of food.

All I hear from people is "Aww, isn't it sweet" at random youtube videos of "Funny things my cat does". No, it's not sweet, it's a cat. It'a ball of allergy causing fur, claws, and a mind devoted to tricking humans into being kept by them as pets.

Yes, yes, there's some pretty evil dogs too because we decided it was a good idea to breed for aggressiveness in some breeds...don't worry they'll be so inbred in a few years those breeds will probably begin to vanish.

tl;dr Cats, man, what do people see in them...
Yep. Usually it's just the cats being plain dumb, but I guess people find it amusing. To me it just justifies my claim that cats are weird creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom