• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funcom signs deal to make games set in the Dune universe

Bullet Club

Conan Exiles developer Funcom signs deal to make games set in the Dune universe

Watch this spice.

Conan Exiles developer Funcom has signed a deal to make new games set in Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

According to Funcom's investor announcement, the deal - a partnership with Legendary Studios, a division of Legendary Entertainment, which owns the movie and television rights to Dune - will last six years, and is expected to result in the release of "at least" three new titles across PC and consoles.

Funcom hasn't offered specifics for the majority of titles in the works, but does say that one is an open-world multiplayer game scheduled to enter pre-production at its Oslo studio this year. That suggests something similar to Conan Exiles, just with big worms instead of big dongs.

xR19N1g.jpg

Beyond that, there are no clues as to what else might be in-store, although it's not unreasonable to assume that at least some of Funcom's games will tie-in with Legendary's new Dune movie, starring Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones, Aquaman) and expected to release in 2020.

Interestingly, Funcom is currently working with developer Petroglyph to publish real-time strategy game Conan Unconquered later this year. Petroglyph, as you might already know, is formed of numerous ex-Westwood Studios veterans, the team behind the Command & Conquer series and, notably, the much-loved 1993 real-time strategy game Dune 2. Could this confluence of circumstances lead to the long-awaited arrival of a Dune 3? Only time will tell.

Source: Eurogamer

Funcom saw record high 2018 revenue, inks deal for DUNE games including open-world multiplayer title

Would you like a bit of good news for MMOs? Because we’ve got some. It’s from Funcom. Funcom killed it in 2018.

“2018 is our best year to date. A year marked by the full release of Conan Exiles, by the acquisition of 50% of the IP rights for Conan and other properties for games, by the investment from Swedbank Robur to fuel our publishing strategy and by the launch of our first published game under this strategy – Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden,” Funcom CEO Rui Casais told investors. Revenues were up 166% QOQ too, with annual revenues increasing by almost half over 2017, making 2018 the “most profitable year in Funcom history.”

Apparently, the studio’s also picked up a six-year “exclusive partnership” to build “at least three” PC/console games in Frank Herbert’s DUNE universe. Get excited, MMO people:

“This is a six year partnership to release at least three titles on the PC/Console platforms, with one of the games planned to be in the ‘Open World Multiplayer’ genre that will enter into pre-production in Funcom’s Oslo studio during 2019.”​

The report also reiterates that Conan Unconquered (the RTS) will land in Q2 2019, as will a new PC/console Halloween title by Rock Pocket “based on a Funcom IP.” That’s in addition to the single-player Conan game underway and the co-op online shooter using a Heroic Signatures IP – both of those are slated for next year.

Secret World Legends, Anarchy Online, and Age of Conan are not mentioned in the fuller report beyond a recap of their fourth quarter activities. There’s no mention of the Secret World TV show backed by Johnny Depp, either.

Source: Massively Overpowered

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ugh...

As a huge Dune fan (the book not the film), I was hoping with the new movie in the works that we would get a new game. Funcom getting the license is kind of a worst case scenario.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Ugh...

As a huge Dune fan (the book not the film), I was hoping with the new movie in the works that we would get a new game. Funcom getting the license is kind of a worst case scenario.

I disagree there are worse developers and publishers. Dune is kind of a lame license anyway. Don’t get me wrong I loved the book I’ve read it at least three times but really it’s only suitable for an RPG or strategy game. The story is so bizarre I can’t ever see it really being a big deal so a b tier game is probably the best we could hope for and funcom fits that bill pretty well. Paragon would have been a good fit as well.

Hendrick's

I disagree there are worse developers and publishers. Dune is kind of a lame license anyway. Don’t get me wrong I loved the book I’ve read it at least three times but really it’s only suitable for an RPG or strategy game. The story is so bizarre I can’t ever see it really being a big deal so a b tier game is probably the best we could hope for and funcom fits that bill pretty well. Paragon would have been a good fit as well.
Nah, Dune has endless potential for great story telling and gameplay. The world building is just so good. Dune is essentially Star Wars before Lucas ripped it off.

zenspider

Nah, Dune has endless potential for great story telling and gameplay. The world building is just so good. Dune is essentially Star Wars before Lucas ripped it off.

Agreed. I could rattle of design docs for days: a 1v1 fighter, an OOTW-esque platformer, a "jihad" royale, spice mining clicker, a Telltale Bene Gesserit adventure game... sky is the limit. The world of Dune is so rich, and we've gotten much more gaming out of much poorer worlds.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOoooooooooOOoooooo

now this will never happen

tUnnBEv.jpg

i dont want to shit on devs, but funcom is a low tier developer that somehow has been able to stay afloat from the grants it gets from the norwegian gov. thats my theory anyways.

Prepare for the most mediocre game ever built. Herberts estate should be more selective of who is allowed to make what with their IP.

wipeout364

Agreed. I could rattle of design docs for days: a 1v1 fighter, an OOTW-esque platformer, a "jihad" royale, spice mining clicker, a Telltale Bene Gesserit adventure game... sky is the limit. The world of Dune is so rich, and we've gotten much more gaming out of much poorer worlds.
Look at what you just wrote and tell me that any of those are games that will sell millions of copies . Dune has been around for 40 years it’s had movies, tv series, video games and still it’s a niche franchise.

If somebody wants to develop a big budget Dune title I’m there day one, i’m Just saying I think it would be insane which I guess would fit with the books. That’s why I think B tier developers are not a bad fit.

Funcom has made some great games in the past most recently mutant year zero.

Kadayi

Banned

I think the problem is though, that society in the Dune universe is extremely structured and controlled. You're either part of a House, or you're a nobody, and who wants to play a nobody? So what are the options? Play as a Paul Atreides doing an interactive version of the novel, or some sort of strat game in the vein of Dune 2 or a dynastic title like CK2, neither of which are in Funcom's wheelhouse.

Much time for Dune as a book series (and I kind of Dig Lynch's film also), but I'm not sure whether as a setting it translates that well to the sort of game style Funcom is traditionally known for. Still, I'm interested to see what they come up with.

zenspider

Look at what you just wrote and tell me that any of those are games that will sell millions of copies . Dune has been around for 40 years it’s had movies, tv series, video games and still it’s a niche franchise.

If somebody wants to develop a big budget Dune title I’m there day one, i’m Just saying I think it would be insane which I guess would fit with the books. That’s why I think B tier developers are not a bad fit.

Funcom has made some great games in the past most recently mutant year zero.

My hypothetical design docs were a tongue-in-cheek example of the possibilities for Dune in gaming - to say they're near limitless - just mapping onto existing genres.

"Huey's Mentat Training DX" ala Human Resource Machine. I could really go all day.

I have no idea how many copies they could sell (I don't even have developers!), but that wasn't the point.

That being said, if a new Dune film breaks the franchise, who knows.

Hendrick's

I think the problem is though, that society in the Dune universe is extremely structured and controlled. You're either part of a House, or you're a nobody, and who wants to play a nobody? So what are the options? Play as a Paul Atreides doing an interactive version of the novel, or some sort of strat game in the vein of Dune 2 or a dynastic title like CK2, neither of which are in Funcom's wheelhouse.

Much time for Dune as a book series (and I kind of Dig Lynch's film also), but I'm not sure whether as a setting it translates that well to the sort of game style Funcom is traditionally known for. Still, I'm interested to see what they come up with.
What about a game where you play as a Sardaukar, going from prison hell to elite soldier across the galaxy? Or playing as a Freman, trying to survive the harsh climate of Arrakis (and riding sandworms of course)? Maybe you play as a noble in another house with all the political intrigue, espionage and violence against rival houses? To me, the ideas are endless.

Kadayi

Banned
What about a game where you play as a Sardaukar, going from prison hell to elite soldier across the galaxy? Or playing as a Freman, trying to survive the harsh climate of Arrakis (and riding sandworms of course)? Maybe you play as a noble in another house with all the political intrigue, espionage and violence against rival houses? To me, the ideas are endless.

Game Budgets, however, are not.

I think the problem is though, that society in the Dune universe is extremely structured and controlled. You're either part of a House, or you're a nobody, and who wants to play a nobody? So what are the options? Play as a Paul Atreides doing an interactive version of the novel,

Just wondering but have You played Dune 1? ;)

wipeout364

I just wanted to say I did not realize that there were plans to make a new Dune movie and that is pretty exciting news. I think there are significant problems with a movie treatment of Dune, it's just way too much stuff to make any sense of it without previous knowledge but still excited to see what they do.

Also I would love to see CDPR do an RPG set in the DUNE universe or Obsidian take a crack at it.

Bigrx1

Banned
I like Conan Exiles and feel they have done okay with that title, but was disappointed in Secret World Legends. Whatever happened to Age of Conan I just slowly stopped hearing anything about it and it seems to have just been forgotten in the aether. Does it still get updates or is it developmentally long abandoned?

Shifty

Why the fuck would you sign Dune for the sake of making an open-world multiplayer survival craft 'em up?

Please get excited to play as some inconsequential nobody scrabbling to survive on the surface of arrakis while all the actual cool stuff is happening off-world across the rest of the Dune-iverse.

Paltheos

Kneejerk reaction is skepticism. If it's an open world game set solely on Arrakis, it's almost definitely gonna blow. Dune's interesting ideas have been mined in the 50 years since the book.

Across the universe? I don't know, maybe they could make someething work.

Top Bottom