• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard

graywolf323

Fjeon3yXEAEHTmU.png
they're still pushing this BS that this somehow creates MORE competition by removing third-parties?

I couldn't care less either way. It's clear that Xbox is desperate at this point as they have shown a massive hole in their ability to manage their own studios/games. I don't think Xbox would "go away" if this deal fails to go thru, but it could have an impact on Xbox's future if it doesn't happen... who knows what that could mean.

For the sake of competition this deal might have to happen or some form of this deal. If MS/Xbox cannot get all of AB, they must have back up plans, and I wonder if it's to make the purchase "smaller" like instead of all of AB maybe just some parts of it? Or maybe just outright buying individual IPs. I think the price is just so high that it demands this kind of scrutiny. If this was only a $20 Billion purchase it would have been closed by now.

Unfortunately, I think there is some "ego" involved in terms of the FTC. Every CEO, President, Chair or whatever wants something "big" on their resume. You want your stamp on history/company, I feel like this Chair is trying to get a "big one" on their resume.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

WTF is this shit? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Microsoft: "While we believed in giving peace a chance, we have complete confidence in our case and welcome the opportunity to present our case in court."

I can’t believe MS are sanctioning statements like this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Peace = let us do what we want unaposed?

Yeah, that’s what John Lennon’s message was.

Yoboman

You don't try to carry out the largest acquisition in the history of gaming and then go "eh, nevermind" when you find out it's going to take a while.
Let's see what happens to Activisions stock, how they deal with billions in penalties if they miss the closure deadline etc.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Good.

FTC shows they have a spine, and will fight for what is right, for the consumers and the gaming industry.

UK's CMA and Europe's EC will also fight this.

Break up big tech. Their push to gobble up chunks of anything and everything just to please shareholders will inevitably lead to less competition.

Microsoft, and other big tech companies, need to stop their greed and consolidation of markets.

Microsoft needs to be held accountable for their own failings.

They need to learn that they have to earn their marketshare, not buy their way to success.

This is an early Christmas present for all who love the gaming industry.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Curious to see how sustainable Gamepass will be if this deal doesn't go through.
Gamepass will completely get closed and the whole xbox department will be shut down.

Xbox and gamepass is so reliant on these games that has never even been on the service so they have to shut it down if the deal doesn't get through.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I couldn't care less either way. It's clear that Xbox is desperate at this point as they have shown a massive hole in their ability to manage their own studios/games. I don't think Xbox would "go away" if this deal fails to go thru, but it could have an impact on Xbox's future if it doesn't happen... who knows that it could mean.

For the sake of competition this deal might have to happen or some form of this deal. If MS/Xbox cannot get all of AB, they must have back up plans, and I wonder if it's to make the purchase "smaller" like instead of all of AB maybe just some parts of it? Or maybe just outright buying individual IPs. I think the price is just so high that it demands this kind of scrutiny. If this was only a $20 Billion purchase it would have been closed by now.

Unfortunately, I think there is some "ego" involved in terms of the FTC. Every CEO, President, Chair or whatever wants something "big" on their resume. You want your stamp on history/company, I feel like this Chair is trying to get a "big one" on their resume.
Xbox have alot of money from Microsoft

How about they start making more of their own studios like 343 and Turn 10

I want Activision Blizzard remain multiplatform

Last edited:

Mowcno

"Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles."

Hmmm. Well if Microsoft actually said that to European authorities during the Bethesda acquisition that certainly doesn't help there matter now. Didn't know of this.

Xbox have alot of money from Microsoft

How about they start making more of their own studios like 343 and Turn 10

I want Activision Blizzard remain multiplatform
I 100% agree with you. This deal is like an "out" for Xbox. They've tried and tried, but continue to come up short. It seems like their "hail mary" is to buy studios that they know deliver on time and on target... because clearly they sometimes just can't.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is there anybody who has Game Pass paid up for the next 3 years like most of us actually against the deal happening?
I honestly don't play any Activision or Blizzard games except Diablo. Not a huge deal to me personally. But I do think it's a bit ridiculous still to block this on the merits of competition when all I see is Sony dominance and anti-competitive actions frequently. I think the FTC is picking the wrong fight 100%. Xbox being stronger is going to result in more competition at this point. But not the end of the world for me either way, as far as what I personally play. MS can buy small studios and they will probably have more stuff I'm actually interested in. This will certainly be maximum drama.

oldergamer

The fact its going to court is in all honestly a good position for them. Better then relying on governing body that can rule the way of the wind. actual facts and not conjecture will be used in court. When its said and done, they will win and have no concessions for sony.

Pay very close to the politics of this going forward. The FTC has just entered into a big fight with Microsoft and one of the United States' most powerful Labor Unions with a very pro union President and Administration.

If the FTC hoped Microsoft would blink.. that has not happened. This isn't Nvidia they're dealing with. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The FTC's job is to protect consumers, not competitors. The FTC better pray they at least get a judge that will have a temperament for this silly case, or else it could be over for the FTC a lot quicker than people think.

Top Bottom