• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Japan to the world: how to translate a game

Madflavor

yea ok.

Yet, they've changed all sorts of shit in games for decades, but suddenly all those changes must now solely be based on this huh?

Sounds to me like the same reason you are worried about Japanese games, is the same reason you should have been avoiding them for decades in the first place. So those companies will alter and change things in games not to offend.

They did it for decades, I don't see them stopping this and it seems like you are more obsessed with the perceived reason behind it, then if it happened at all.

Ok you keep spouting the same point and dancing around the crux of the argument for a third time now. I'm also reading your previous post to me, which you have recently edited, and you're not even understanding what I'm saying:

I don't even know where you got this whole "5-10 years" thing, as that is also false. We've seen changes to dialgue, genders and so many things for generations regarding games coming from Japan to the west.

Barret's dialogue change in FFVII
Wakka's dialogue change in FFX (as to my understanding, he is saying much more offensive things in the Japanese version and that is toned down)
Gepetto in Shadow Hearts dialogue change as not to offend based on..."sensitive" topics
Resident Evil games having an option to literally remove blood
Quina Quen's gender from FFIX
Shit BIRDO's gender change from Japan to the west from SMB2 from 1988

Where you got that shit was ONLY 5 to 10 years ago, sir..you have not been paying attention to any of this then if you think this is some new thing based on something only current that is going on or something.

I was referring to the West in regards to my point. Here's the direct quote from my post:

Saying "Japan has always been like this" is being disingenuous to how much times have changed in the West these past 5-10 years with the progressive movement

You may have understood that if you had turned down the cringe with all your lolz and laugh emojis.

4sSaVO4.jpg
Is this doctored?

To be fair, you overuse that laughing emoji a lot....I mean A LOT.
(...)

Who's gonna tell him how cringe saying "the lolz" is?
Maybe the GAF moderation ought to narrow down his post reactions to only the "laugh emoji". It seems to be the only reaction he can express to just about everything.

Happy? laugh emoji.
Sad? laugh emoji.
Annoyed? laugh emoji.
Angry? laugh emoji.
Frustrated? laugh emoji.
Indifferent? laugh emoji.
etc. etc. ... laugh emoji.

Would make things a lot easier for him, no?

Filben

When I started with Tears of the Kingdom I switched back and forth with the languages and realised how both German and English are completely different from each other and both differ from the Japanese language. The very first scene when Ganon appears in the game and he says at one point "Raurus great prophecy..." and then followed by "That's all you could do?" in English and, literally, "Two pathetic worms." in German, while direct Japanese translation is "Rauru's spoken wish, was this much?". 🤯

At least this doesn't happen all the time and the rest of the dialogue is direct and close to the source.

I know that often certain pragmatic sentences won't work in another language, but transporting that different culture could be very cool and interesting, even if it does sound "strange" to our ears. Especially in a fantasy world it would be fitting.

ReyBrujo

I know that often certain pragmatic sentences won't work in another language, but transporting that different culture could be very cool and interesting, even if it does sound "strange" to our ears. Especially in a fantasy world it would be fitting.
Exactly, there's no need to translate, say, onigiri if Link eats one because in a fantasy context he might be eating lembas or even xyzzyz, the player really only cares that eating that will restore health or mana or whatever. Japanese players might be used at Link eating stuff from Japan for all we know but that doesn't mean the occidental player might want that localized to hamburger or pizza because (I think) it would make it less fantastic just as if in a "real world" context like GTA6 you suddenly have to find a weapon called "Lance of Longinus".

I believe the low rate of bilingual population in US (about half compared to the world average) might also play a role in localization, however this is just gut feeling or on anecdotal evidence when talking with players from US about certain games.

Toons

Of course I do, what are you even talking about? That is preciously people's concern with this. Japan always making certain changes to localization in the past was not an issue back then, because back then Western Media had more artistic freedom due to the lack of social and corporate pressure to be as inclusive and inoffensive to certain minority groups as possible. The concern is that Japan could escalate their efforts to be more in line with Western values, that has in the past 5-10 years pushed woke ideologies into media far more aggressively than before.

Japan generally doesn't give a rats ass about western values. If you're seeing media reflect no social ideas then that means they feel that THEIR audience is also receptive to those ideas, it has little to do with the west.

EDMIX

Ok you keep spouting the same point and dancing around the crux of the argument
You may have understood that if you had turned down the cringe with all your lolz and laugh emojis.

Not really bud, the fucking shit your talking about has existed in Japan for decades regarding how they localize, I even provided proof that those changes are not exclusive to 5 or 10 years ago and that they've been changing all sorts of shit as far back as the 80's , I in fact I don't know of any time frame where they were never changing something thru localization. So I have no clue where you got that someone didn't understand what you where saying, I merely disagree with it because lots of actual fucking evidence supports this idea has always existed in Japan regarding localization, thus I can't just say this started 5 or 10 years ago, when clearly we've seen changes long before your claim on why you think this is going on.

So, if I can get your point and disagree with it, I'm more then positive you can understand what I'm saying and disagree instead this whole weird triggered personal attack thing, you've yet to provide any detailed evidence to even remotely suggest that this is even some new occurrence in gaming that NEVER existed beyond 5 to 10 years ago.

Trying to go deeply off topic with personal attacks over laughing emojis has nothing to do with any of this btw.

We merely have different opinions regarding the topic.

Maybe the GAF moderation ought to narrow down his post reactions to only the "laugh emoji". It seems to be the only reaction he can express to just about everything.

I can laugh at what ever the fuck I want, trying to bully people on this site into conforming to some idea isn't going to stop me from laughing at shit I think is funny.

31i.gif

EDMIX

When I started with Tears of the Kingdom I switched back and forth with the languages and realised how both German and English are completely different from each other and both differ from the Japanese language.

Thats actually pretty common, so I'm not so surprised. I'd say that is sorta a normal thing for Nintendo for localization stuff, but Japan would alter all sorts of shit based on the culture of where its being sold to, like Dragon Quest games being easier in terms of the western versions same with FF or even in Resident Evil having the option to turn off blood as during the 90's, DOOM and Mortal Kombat where the biggest targets for controversy regarding violence, so with ESRB created during the early 90's, its likely that paid a huge role into what Japan was changing during those times (and still changes today)

Dialogue has always been one of those common things they change, like food items or slang or even names of characters. For fantasy stuff I don't really care as it makes sense if they feel it doesn't hurt the narrative, but for stuff like Yakuza, because it is conceptually about Japan, it makes sense to keep a lot of that the same and merely alter things they feel will offend based on region to case the widest net regarding sales

Paasei

Doesn’t this game have NG+ as paid content? They sure incorporate western standards of monetisation if true.

Hudo

When I started with Tears of the Kingdom I switched back and forth with the languages and realised how both German and English are completely different from each other and both differ from the Japanese language. The very first scene when Ganon appears in the game and he says at one point "Raurus great prophecy..." and then followed by "That's all you could do?" in English and, literally, "Two pathetic worms." in German, while direct Japanese translation is "Rauru's spoken wish, was this much?". 🤯

At least this doesn't happen all the time and the rest of the dialogue is direct and close to the source.

I found the German translation of both BotW and TotK better than the English one, which is rare. So I played both games in German. Was a nice change of pace, I gotta admit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Because people doesn't expect that from a Yakuza game.

Really I thought it was pretty in line with their whole take on real world issues, this is the first game to take place in America. But if you didn't know many of the things Yakuza talk about mirrors real world events and politics in Japan, For example the most recent 3 titles have a focus on Japan's 5 year clause for ex-Yakuza and the unintended consequences of those rules.

That's not made up, it's a real thing, with real issues. So naturally a game based in America will also talk about America and its issues.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Really I thought it was pretty in line with their whole take on real world issues, this is the first game to take place in America. But if you didn't know many of the things Yakuza talk about mirrors real world events and politics in Japan, For example the most recent 3 titles have a focus on Japan's 5 year clause for ex-Yakuza and the unintended consequences of those rules.

That's not made up, it's a real thing, with real issues. So naturally a game based in America will also talk about America and its issues.
No i mean specifically putting lines like that in yakuza, why even touching the argument if you can ignore it.

I like what the dude says but i'm surprised to even read stuff like that when you know how much trouble the twat warriors can cause, why even lifting the subject in a relatively light hearted game like a yakuza with ichiban as a protagonist ( i know yakuza can be deadly serious but you get the gist).

They could have throwed jabs to american culture in their past games but i fail to remember any in the games i played, or maybe they were just very subtle.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No i mean specifically putting lines like that in yakuza, why even touching the argument if you can ignore it.

I like what the dude says but i'm surprised to even read stuff like that when you know how much trouble the twat warriors can cause, why even lifting the subject in a relatively light hearted game like a yakuza with ichiban as a protagonist ( i know yakuza can be deadly serious but you get the gist).

They could have throwed jabs to american culture in their past games but i fail to remember any in the games i played, or maybe they were just very subtle.

I mean what's more surprising is the line made it in, when the article talks about getting developers to become more westernised so these localisers don't have to do it for them.

But it's also not wrong, as someone from the UK looking across the pond you can see it, I think in many ways it always been there in America. Like when an American says their Irish for example, no... your great-great-great-great grandfather was Irish, my Grandfather was Irish and I'm English because I was born in England, they where born and grew up in America, their American, thats how it works. America has this deep seated need to differentiate themselves, and it's that fake push for "diversity" and individualism over the whole that has created so many cracks in the modern era.

But this is bordering on a banned topic so let's return to translators pushing there said specific brand of banned topic over the creators original intent of banned topic, and then pushing that said creators adjust their banned topic to fit the localisers view on banned topic.

Last edited:

Filben

I found the German translation of both BotW and TotK better than the English one, which is rare. So I played both games in German. Was a nice change of pace, I gotta admit.
I can't say which I think better. Zelda sounds less whiney in German so that's a plus. But in terms of semantics, it's hard to say for me which is "better". In my example in all languages it is clear that Ganon isn't impressed by Zelda and Link and in all versions he expresses it with a condescending tone (so that's good translation). They're all insulting but the German one is more direct while the original and English version does it with a rhetorical question. I think both suits the character of Ganon and gets the meaning well across. So, at least with this example, it's hard for me to say which is better. I think the impact of the direct insult is a bit bigger than that more indirect one.

I think I will switch back and forth for a while because I can't fucking decide which I find better XD

Last edited:

GymWolf

I mean what's more surprising is the line made it in, when the article talks about getting developers to become more westernised so these localisers don't have to do it for them.

But it's also not wrong, as someone from the UK looking across the pond you can see it, I think in many ways it always been there in America. Like when an American says their Irish for example, no... your great-great-great-great grandfather was Irish, my Grandfather was Irish and I'm English because I was born in England, they where born and grew up in America, their American, thats how it works. America has this deep seated need to differentiate themselves, and it's that fake push for "diversity" and individualism over the whole that has created so many cracks in the modern era.

But this is bordering on a banned topic so let's return to translators pushing there said specific brand of banned topic over the creators original intent of banned topic, and then pushing that said creators adjust their banned topic to fit the localisers view on banned topic.
I mean, the message is extremely direct, you can't really traduce in something else without completely changing the character view :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Madflavor

Not really bud, the fucking shit your talking about has existed in Japan for decades regarding how they localize, I even provided proof that those changes are not exclusive to 5 or 10 years ago and that they've been changing all sorts of shit as far back as the 80's , I in fact I don't know of any time frame where they were never changing something thru localization. So I have no clue where you got that someone didn't understand what you where saying, I merely disagree with it because lots of actual fucking evidence supports this idea has always existed in Japan regarding localization, thus I can't just say this started 5 or 10 years ago, when clearly we've seen changes long before your claim on why you think this is going on.

Again, and this is the third time I'm telling you, that statement about "5-10 years ago" was specifically made in regards to the West, and the West only. Not Japan. And the point of it was that as the West has gone through radical changes in their presentation of media, in regards to woke ideology, people don't want to see Japan escalate to that level and completely follow suit. This is the last I'll say on the subject matter because you don't seem interested in engaging in this topic in a respectful and understanding manner.

So, if I can get your point and disagree with it, I'm more then positive you can understand what I'm saying and disagree instead this whole weird triggered personal attack thing, you've yet to provide any detailed evidence to even remotely suggest that this is even some new occurrence in gaming that NEVER existed beyond 5 to 10 years ago.

Trying to go deeply off topic with personal attacks over laughing emojis has nothing to do with any of this btw.

How is calling out your behavior with the overuse of laugh emojis and loling over every response, a "personal attack"? Are you shitting me right now?

You're going to play the victim card because your argument sucks and you got called out for poor behavior? Yeah nice try.

Yes we did, and you were disrespectful the whole time with your constant chuckling. Not once did I laugh at you or insult you, but you're going to pretend like you're taking the moral high ground and then act like a victim.

I can laugh at what ever the fuck I want, trying to bully people on this site into conforming to some idea isn't going to stop me from laughing at shit I think is funny.

31i.gif

Bullying. Sure. The guy who was laughing at everyone he disagreed with, was being bullied when everyone politely told him it was annoying.

You seriously need to grow up. Take that as an insult or a sincere bit of advice.

Edit: I see another laugh emoji, so good to know you've gained nothing from this teachable moment except a ticket to my ignore list. Sorry to say you won't find much company there, it takes a special kind of member to make it to that list.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Again, and this is the third time I'm telling you, that statement about "5-10 years ago" was specifically made in regards to the West, and the West only. Not Japan. And the point of it was that as the West has gone through radical changes in their presentation of media, in regards to woke ideology, people don't want to see Japan escalate to that level and completely follow suit. This is the last I'll say on the subject matter because you don't seem interested in engaging in this topic in a respectful and understanding manner.

How is calling out your behavior with the overuse of laugh emojis and loling over every response, a "personal attack"? Are you shitting me right now?

You're going to play the victim card because your argument sucks and you got called out for poor behavior? Yeah nice try.

Yes we did, and you were disrespectful the whole time with your constant chuckling. Not once did I laugh at you or insult you, but you're going to pretend like you're taking the moral high ground and then act like a victim.

Bullying. Sure. The guy who was laughing at everyone he disagreed with, was being bullied when everyone politely told him it was annoying.

You seriously need to grow up. Take that as an insult or a sincere bit of advice.

This is some massive cope man, get help.

Like 90% of your whole post is this entire personal thing over this shit.

I literally even gave you fucking examples that you ignored in favor of talking about emojis..... Japan has altered things in the past, will alter things right now and likely continue that in the future with their content as they localize to the west.

Its ok to disagree and move on bud.

(added to ignore, you go waaaay off topic too much man)

The fact that you even getting this hurt by that emoji makes it even funnier =) lolz

Last edited:

IAmRei

The deep lolz

Japan has been localizing games like this for a long time. Unless someone points it out, most won't notice, most don't give a shit.

Japan still has PR, they still decide things based on the majority and will still alter things not to offend.

I have no clue where anyone thought it was like the wild west there simply desperately trying to fucking pretend they are the polar opposite to the west to cry about "woke" shit. So....wait till you find out about all the games in the past where those characters changed based on different versions made for the west lol

So Yakuza 8 is still day 1, same with Persona 3 remake and so many other Japanese games. Most of us who just play games don't even care about this shit to the degree some of you really want folks to. I don't see any data to even support most will not buy a game based on any of this crap...
Of course it wont be any data, it wont support anything for the one who wants to inject anything to medium, though. I see it my self there are a lot of people who hate the today changes. You can see it on normies forum as well. Lot of people care about it. If not, disney wont lose lotta money because of their agendas

Madflavor

Of course it wont be any data, it wont support anything for the one who wants to inject anything to medium, though. I see it my self there are a lot of people who hate the today changes. You can see it on normies forum as well. Lot of people care about it. If not, disney wont lose lotta money because of their agendas

Because this problem is so widespread and deeply embedded throughout the entertainment industries, more and more people are starting to have their favorite IPs get affected by it. I saw a lot of frustration from people in 2023 about this bullshit, that I normally wouldn't have in previous years.

Hudo

Masayoshi Yokoyama, the head and executive producer of the Like A Dragon games, has responded.

Does he explain there why the fuck they have chosen fucking YongYea of all people to voice Kiryu? That's one of the worst choices I have ever witnessed in recent memory.

Top Bottom