• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foveated rendering (eye tracking) VR demo by NVIDIA and SMI at SIGGRAPH 2016

teiresias

I don't get foveated rendering.

It seems to be assuming you'll always lock your eyes straight ahead and always turn your head to look around. However, in the few times I've used a VR HMD I would look with my eyes nearly as much as I would by moving my head. This would break immersion in those cases wouldn't it?

Noobcraft

It's not a joke though. That is literally how you need to sit in front of the display for foveated rendering to be useful. Thus it doesn't work. With that afterthought in mind foveated rendering on a fixed display becomes an absurd idea for 99% of people out there with conventional configurations.
My question was poorly worded, but I was more leaning towards VR with Foveated rendering being cheaper to run hardware wise than a conventional display where tech like that isn't viable. In a like-for-like machine, would a headset with Foveated rendering produce a better framerate or image than a standard monitor setup.

Branduil

This is what I'm waiting for before jumping in on VR. Foveated rendering is going to make things so much better. You'll get significantly higher resolution than the current VR headsets, but less performance cost.

It seems to be assuming you'll always lock your eyes straight ahead and always turn your head to look around. However, in the few times I've used a VR HMD I would look with my eyes nearly as much as I would by moving my head. This would break immersion in those cases wouldn't it?

Foveated rendering involves tracking your eye movements so the highest-resolution regions are always where you're looking.

Mivey

It tracks your eyes. That's the whole point. Or do you have some way of looking around without moving your head or your eyes? In which case you are probably not a human being. Maybe future VR HMD will cover non-human life forms, for the moment you are out luck.
Incidentally, don't try to take over the planet, please.

Maximo

Foveated Rendering EYE TRACKING.

kami_sama

The trick tl foveated rendering is an array of sensors inside the HMD that track where your eyes are aiming.

What happens when you squint?

You fire.

nDt1kqF.gif

Karak

It's not a joke though. That is literally how you need to sit in front of the display for foveated rendering to be useful. Thus it doesn't work. With that afterthought in mind foveated rendering on a fixed display becomes an absurd idea for 99% of people out there with conventional configurations.

Completely incorrect.
You fire.

nDt1kqF.gif

Can you imagine how tired you would be lol. One level of COD hahaha.

Completely incorrect.

Can you imagine how tired you would be lol. One level of COD hahaha.

Not exactly, the amount of the display that is in your focal area on a traditional 24-27" monitor is most of that display. If you had a big TV a few feet away you'd see some extra benefits. But neither will come even close to the performance gains of an HMD that's an inch away from your face. That does play a large part.

Karak

Not exactly, the amount of the display that is in your focal area on a traditional 24-27" monitor is most of that display. If you had a big TV a few feet away you'd see some extra benefits. But neither will come even close to the performance gains of an HMD that's an inch away from your face. That does play a large part.

Think you quoted the wrong person. Or you are mistaken what I meant about COD or something

Will the 4k panels still have the screen door effect or will that be negligible because of the increased resolution?

Yes but it will be significantly reduced while also allowing much more detail to be perceivable.

Here's a simulated mock-up of different resolutions.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-simulator-1080p-2k-4k-low-persistence/

Think you quoted the wrong person. Or you are mistaken what I meant about COD or something

Oh I was responding to your response to bj00rn_ after my semi joke post. Did I misunderstand?

Karak

Oh I was responding to your response to bj00rn_ after my semi joke post. Did I misunderstand?

I guess. I can't tell what you were answering or discussing.
As someone who uses foveated daily, already discussed that earlier, and another couple under NDA I was simply stating that those comments were incorrect though they were obviously a bit hyperbole. But I just eclipsed like my 150th hour testing these systems lol. So I have a bit of hands on. Hopefully in Oct we will see another big contender as well.
EDIT: Sometimes being known for having an eye problem and also being a youtuber can help:)

I guess. I can't tell what you were answering or discussing.
As someone who uses foveated daily, already discussed that earlier, and another couple under NDA I was simply stating that those comments were incorrect though they were obviously a bit hyperbole. But I just eclipsed like my 150th hour testing these systems lol. So I have a bit of hands on. Hopefully in Oct we will see another big contender as well.
EDIT: Sometimes being known for having an eye problem and also being a youtuber can help:)

I'm referring to foveated rendering in relation to eye tracking specifically. Although I guess dynamic depth of field could be used to help with that to a lesser degree.

Karak

I'm referring to foveated rendering in relation to eye tracking specifically.

yep me too.
But don't have any clue what the discussion was about performance and stuff. Wasn't in the post I responded to. So most likely just cross post confusion when hyperbole gets thrown into it.

yep me too.
But don't have any clue what the discussion was about performance and stuff. Wasn't in the post I responded to. So most likely just cross post confusion.

Probably.

I really hadn't looked at Tobii eyeX prior to seeing your mention in the thread.

https://youtu.be/ojGBo9sLqYk

That's pretty awesome. Seems a better implementation than something like TrackIR even just because it seems more natural. This is something I'm sure communities like ARMA are eating up. I know alot of people using head tracking solutions for that and of course for space/flight Sims as well.

I didn't realize how much it could do just with a simple setup like that.

Karak

Probably.

I really hadn't looked at Tobii eyeX prior to seeing your mention in the thread.

https://youtu.be/ojGBo9sLqYk

That's pretty awesome. Seems a better implementation than something like TrackIR even just because it seems more natural. This is something I'm sure communities like ARMA are eating up. I know alot of people using head tracking solutions for that and of course for space/flight Sims as well.
I still use mine in tons of games and in editing. Its accurate enough to allow for cutting of movies in windows and using the cursor which blew me away.

You can see how it works in Solus in my video here.
Thats a quadrent style versus an eye follow style but it was also pretty quickly added from what I understand.
https://youtu.be/W1n0iYLWug0?t=12m10s

Its not a perfect implementation and not as good as 2 of the premier new creators on the block but they are both under heavy NDA. But you can see how it works in a general sense and thats 2 levels of tracker accuracy lower than the newer systems.

Vermintide is getting eye tracking in the next month but I don't know how deep(features wise).

Interesting stuff regardless.

ps3ud0

Sounds like Karak you are talking about eye tracking and not foveated rendering?

EDIT: Just saw the videos - wonder what percentage performance saving those lead to as I assume a lot of the screen is covered by the fovea and receptor-dense surround so you cant get away with what you can within VR

ps3ud0 8)

Wollan

Eye-tracking is a holy grail within VR.
Similarly reliable no-external-sensor positional tracking.

With those two in place you can have standalone VR headsets with high quality visuals and world-scale tracking. No wires.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Its not a perfect implementation and not as good as 2 of the premier new creators on the block but they are both under heavy NDA. But you can see how it works in a general sense and thats 2 levels of tracker accuracy lower than the newer systems.

Oh by the way, did you finish that story you were working on regarding upcoming projects? Might have missed the video.

Top Bottom