• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Next Gen performance targets revealed. RT only utilized in Forzavista

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The concern trolling around no RT and photo mode is doubly funny once you realize that GT7 RT is something like 720p native and that 95% of R&C screenshots I see around the forum are from photo mode :messenger_beaming: I also award an extra point for the "invisible RT" in Forbidden West.

FH5 is the best looking car game by far, with or without RT.
So to combat perceived concern trolling we go to heights in here like “RT is not needed in Mexico” and other put downs such as “who cares about the final quality people can see, in GT7 RT reflections are at lower res”, “Ratchet’s screenshots are from photo mode (as if the normal Quality mode gameplay was a lot worse RT quality and people could not see it for themselves)”, etc…

Want to put down real concern trolls that are trying to imply FH5 looks bad (it does not), we can do that without making things up.

assurdum

Banned
The concern trolling around no RT and photo mode is doubly funny once you realize that GT7 RT is something like 720p native and that 95% of R&C screenshots I see around the forum are from photo mode :messenger_beaming: I also award an extra point for the "invisible RT" in Forbidden West.

Ok so now raytracing is bad when it's not native resolution and better to have SSR or cubemaps or nothing. Wow. Talking about trolling.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Neogaf: RT is a waste!
Also Neogaf: Where is RT lol?

Never change Gaf, never change.
RT can be a wast, RT can be useful. Back before the performance RT mode for Spider-man, the choice was clear for me: 30 FPS RT mode. More realistic reflections completely changed some scenes in the game: sometimes you would be in a back alley and the reflection on a window showed the main road without RT reflections. In a more linear game you can perhaps regenerate those reflections with more localised cube maps and screen space techniques but for an open world game where that would take an ungodly amount of time RT reflections can really help.

Rea

Got a link?

"How are you making use of the console’s ray tracing tech?

Mathijs de Jonge: We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing. I'm not a tech engineer, so I can't explain it in much more detail than this. But yes, we are utilizing it."

So to combat perceived concern trolling we go to heights in here like “RT is not needed in Mexico” and other put downs such as “who cares about the final quality people can see, in GT7 RT reflections are at lower res”, “Ratchet’s screenshots are from photo mode (as if the normal Quality mode gameplay was a lot worse RT quality and people could not see it for themselves)”, etc…

Want to put down real concern trolls that are trying to imply FH5 looks bad (it does not), we can do that without making things up.
What part did I make up? I didn't run a statistical analysis of course, but the vast majority of screenshots are from photo mode. There's nothing wrong with that btw, I'm not concerned about photo mode like others.
Ok so now raytracing is bad when it's not native resolution and better to have SSR or cubemaps or nothing. Wow. Talking about trolling.
It doesn't have to be native resolution, but it should be close enough to not look ugly. Otherwise it's not worth the effort.

its only confusing because horizon 4 is 4k 60 fps on series x, im just wondering how much more advanced the tech in this is that they cant hit the same standard on series x

Like from scratch for next gen, it's not the same situation as for FH4 which runs by bc, so it has its enhancements as many XBOX ONE/ ONE X games

killatopak

I do not think the addition of ray tracing is possible in this game without sacrificing a ton of other stuff. This is a racing game where when at full speed driving the hardware will be pushed to its limits even without ray tracing. In other many other games you cannot move at this speed and therefore there is still some juice left for ray tracing.
I think the argument against that is some people are fine with sacrifices stuff mainly res and framerate for RT.

I mean for example, I am still using a 1080p monitor so I'm fine with res going as low as 1080p if it means I'll have RT plus 60fps.

Mathijs de Jonge: We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing. I'm not a tech engineer, so I can't explain it in much more detail than this. But yes, we are utilizing it."

Doesn't seem clear on how it's utilised, the footage so far has no visual Raytracing but possibly it's being used for audio.

Kenpachii

Waste of resources spend

Game could have bumped the visual fidelity up a lot more without it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What part did I make up? I didn't run a statistical analysis of course, but the vast majority of screenshots are from photo mode. There's nothing wrong with that btw, I'm not concerned about photo mode like others.
You brought it up as if it meant something dismissive: oh yeah people are posting pictures from photo mode (as if we had not seen real time Quality mode gameplay and it looked excellent). This is almost borderline made up concern mate. At least you did not say RT is useless in Mexico like some others did sure ;).

It doesn't have to be native resolution, but it should be close enough to not look ugly. Otherwise it's not worth the effort.
It does not look ugly. Something tells me you are keen to take GT7 Super closeups and tear them apart but would not welcome this on FH5 or others. Then again it is not the point but it is what this kind of gets in threads like this: why to tackle concern trolls should we do counter concern trolling and be negative about things that do not really warrant it?

Rea

Doesn't seem clear on how it's utilised, the footage so far has no visual Raytracing but possibly it's being used for audio.
Raytracing can be used for other rendering techniques, it's not only for reflection. If you're looking for just Raytraced reflection, then the game doesn't have it.

Raytracing can be used for other rendering techniques, it's not only for reflection. If you're looking for just Raytraced reflection, then the game doesn't have it.
I know but it doesn't use any visual Raytracing at all, it's not in the footage.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Waste of resources spend

This is odd, but I guess I am not likely to see you put down a major XSX game because it is using RT and could be doing something instead that uses power better.

Praising FH5 great looks like this is straight console warring, defend thy honour by attacking another title on a competing console that looks quite excellent… ah ok /sarcasm… yes, must be it ;).

Rea

Waste of resources spend

It's not a waste, they are using RT hardware for better rendering techniques for more immersive open world experience. It might look worse than what they have shown, without it.

You brought it up as if it meant something dismissive: oh yeah people are posting pictures from photo mode (as if we had not seen real time Quality mode gameplay and it looked excellent).
No, I brought it up because of the irony of it. Shit on photo mode but then rejoice over photo mode screenshots in a different game :messenger_winking:
It does not look ugly. Something tells me you are keen to take GT7 Super closeups and tear them apart but would not welcome this on FH5 or others. Then again it is not the point but it is what this kind of gets in threads like this: why to tackle concern trolls should we do counter concern trolling and be negative about things that do not really warrant it?
The reflections look bad imo. Same for Spiderman performance RT mode, it looks really rough when you look at it closely. But it works in motion for both games, so it's fine. But not really better than good SSR. R&C is miles (heh) ahead in that regard.

TBiddy

Why bring up R&C, Horizon and GT7 in this thread? All of them look amazing. but have nothing to do with how FH5 looks. You can praise games from both consoles you know. Lets work on doing better.

I didn't realise Gaf was a collective consciousness.

Unfortunately, a lot of these blanket statements tend to get thrown around. I've tried a few times, when these statements are made, to ask for examples on who the person were referring to, but to no avail.

Last edited:
No one knows yet, maybe they are using RT for accelerating GI and other high definition quality lights. Horizon uses alot of lights in the game.
I'm no expert but both Digital Foundry and NXGamer didn't see any form of Raytracing in the demo. It's possible some form of raytraced reflections could be added but RTGI is very computationally expensive and is unlikely, but who knows? 🤞

Kenpachii

It's not a waste, they are using RT hardware for better rendering techniques for more immersive open world experience. It might look worse than what they have shown, without it.

It's a waste, just look at PC RT and see how much of a performance impact it has. U honestly think RT comes in for free in any of those titles? RT is useful for some cases. most of the cases its completely pointless as nobody will ever notice it and increased fidelity / physics will do far more for a game to sell it.

If horizon would include RT, u can bet the quality will drop drastically.

Last edited:

Rea

No, I brought it up because of the irony of it. Shit on photo mode but then rejoice over photo mode screenshots in a different game :messenger_winking:
The difference is that one has Raytraced reflection in both gameplay and photo mode, but the other one has only in photo mode and not in the gameplay.

JeloSWE

Video 2K is 1080p (1920x1080 instead of cinematic 2048x1080), but PC guys very often (incorrectly) refer to 2560x1440p as 2K, while 2.5K is more appropriate term, as per the 2560 horizontal pixels.
Tnx I know, it's just so weird haha grrrr!

Rea

I'm no expert but both Digital Foundry and NXGamer didn't see any form of Raytracing in the demo. It's possible some form of raytraced reflections could be added but RTGI is very computationally expensive and is unlikely, but who knows? 🤞
RTGI, according to Cerny's Road to PS5, it is less demanding than RT Reflection. DF and NX were just looking for RT Reflections, so they thought it wouldn't exist in this game. They are just speculating.

Rea

It's a waste, just look at PC RT and see how much of a performance impact it has. U honestly think RT comes in for free in any of those titles? RT is useful for some cases. most of the cases its completely pointless as nobody will ever notice it and increased fidelity / physics will do far more for a game to sell it.

If horizon would include RT, u can bet the quality will drop drastically.
Then why nvidia, amd, sony Microsoft put dedicated RT hardware in their GPUs? If it is just a waste?... why waste silicon space if it is not needed??

sncvsrtoip

r&c has 4kcb rt, gt7 4k60 with 1080p rt (tough still not confirmed rt is available during gameplay) and yes fh5 looks very good even without rt (imho not so important in racing games), 30fps is bigger problem, question how does look performance mode

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Then why nvidia, amd, sony Microsoft put dedicated RT hardware in their GPUs? If it is just a waste?... why waste silicon space if it is not needed??

Nvidia does it, for the sake of selling new gpu's, because of no competition + overhead.

AMD follows because everybody shits on them for being outdated with the 5000 series cards, but even then they spend minimal effort on it.

Consoles follow, because they are playing PS4 games on a high end PC at this point and have left over performance anyway.

Next gen games however, its fucking useless for 95% of the cases. Unless u let your character walk in a mirror room which is all to hot these days to demonstrate it. If you actually have a game with half decent reflections already, its barely to not noticable to practically 95% of your population if it has raytracing or not.

Last edited:
RTGI, according to Cerny's Road to PS5, it is less demanding than RT Reflection. DF and NX were just looking for RT Reflections, so they thought it wouldn't exist in this game. They are just speculating.
This video should give you a better idea of how different forms of raytracing affect performance.

Shmunter

No RT during real-time gameplay is bizarre as hell for a next gen only iteration of the franchise. Seems either talent or the hardware is just not upto task.

If you ask me, RT is overrated anyway and resources are likely spent better elsewhere anyway. (For now)

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Nvidia does it, for the sake of selling new gpu's, because of no competition + overhead.

AMD follows because everybody shits on them for being outdated with the 5000 series cards, but even then they spend minimal effort on it.

Consoles follow, because they are playing PS4 games on a high end PC at this point and have left over performance anyway.

Next gen games however, its fucking useless for 95% of the cases. Unless u let your character walk in a mirror room which is all to hot these days to demonstrate it. If you actually have a game with half decent reflections already, its barely to not noticable to practically 95% of your population if it has raytracing or not.
The end goal or holy grail if you will for graphics and Nvidia/AND is to be able to do real time RT for everything, GI, reflection/refractions, shadows, SSS etc, the fact that we are able to do it this well in real time is impressive. You have to start some where and this is just the beginning. Not perfect by far but at least it has begun. The RT hardware can also be used for non visual stuff, it can help with enemy vision/detection, sounds reflecting off and around surfaces etc.

Last edited:

TBiddy

No RT during real-time gameplay is bizarre as hell for a next gen only iteration of the franchise. Seems either talent or the hardware is just not upto task.

If you ask me, RT is overrated anyway and resources are likely spent better elsewhere anyway. (For now)

Or maybe they just arrived at the same conclusion as you - that RT is overrated?

Are you feeling alright? One paragraph you say RT should be in and then you say it's not worth it 😃

UnNamed

Banned
FH5 uses RTX for reflections only, but reflections in racing games are barely visible because the speed and the motion blur, so it has sense to not having RTX reflections in the main game.

Rea

I don't agree with you, RT in RnC looks amazing and very noticable. RT improves visual in that game. Without RT many surfaces look flat and unnatural. The game even has performance RT with 60fps. Still looks amazing. Cyber punk without RT will look like last gen. It is not useless. RT hardware also can be used to accelerate other rendering techniques. Lots of devs are praising it.

FH5 looking very pretty, with RT it will look even prettier, thats why they utilize RT in photo mode. They dropped during gameplay, maybe because they are still optimizing their engine for this game. They might even patch the update in the future. I believe next FH will have RT in gameplay.

Leyasu

Banned
The fanboys on both sides trying to convince the other side that they are wrong is probably the most futile endeavour since King Cnut tried to hold back the tides.

Nobody is going to change their mind.

acm2000

its a cross gen title so its not particularly surprising with the lack of RT, Playground are a very talented bunch of devs so theres a chance they will work on it post release.

This doesn't look any different from Forza Horizon 4 on PC.

I'm surprised this isn't 4k60 on the Xbox X.

Disappointing visuals.
Hate to say but I agree. Looks like same engine but improved. Higher draw distance is first thing I've noticed and there is volumetric fog (maybe weather will be better). Disappointed at lack of RT personally.

GHG

This doesn't look any different from Forza Horizon 4 on PC.

I'm surprised this isn't 4k60 on the Xbox X.

Disappointing visuals.

Blind GIF by memecandy

Top Bottom