• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Does Battlefront 2 Make Disney Seem Stupid?

MrMephistoX

To me this is a case study of why gaming is so fucked at Disney. Full disclosure I worked at Disney Interactive when Battlefront 2 released and saw first hand how the MTX debacle was received and sat in on a few all hands calls where the topic was repeatedly raised.

The loot crate BS was basically a result of EA not being allowed to do cosmetics because DI and Lucas Suits thought things like diamond blinged out skins for Vader and such would demean the brand and go against brand guidelines. Same sort of bullshit happened with Infinity: oh you can’t market the game with Vader slicing through Cap’s shield!???

Fast Forward today and here I am in Fortnight shooting Wolverine as Mando with Kratos’ accessories.
Seriously WTF Disney? You could have ha goldmine on your hands with BF2. It’s still fun and has improved immensely since launch but it boggles the mind.
p7d6umG.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

To me this is a case study of why gaming is so fucked at Disney. Full disclosure I worked at Disney Interactive when Battlefront 2 released and saw first hand how the MTX debacle was received and sat in on a few all hands calls where the topic was repeatedly raised.

The loot crate BS was basically a result of EA not being allowed to do cosmetics because DI and Lucas Suits thought things like diamond blinged out skins for Vader and such would demean the brand and go against brand guidelines. Same sort of bullshit happened with Infinity: oh you can’t market the game with Vader slicing through Cap’s shield!???

Fast Forward today and here I am in Fortnight shooting Wolverine as Mando with Kratos’ accessories.
Seriously WTF Disney? You could have ha goldmine on your hands with BF2. It’s still fun and has improved immensely since launch but it boggles the mind.
p7d6umG.jpg

At this point in time, "We didn't want to trivialize/ruin the brand" with regards to Star Wars, its a laugh and a half.

The Star Wars brand guidelines book today:

538568-burnt-book.jpg

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well I'm not sure, but while I think they have made some good coin off all the skins, I dont really think the crossovers are why fortnite is popular. They keep changing up the gameplay modes, guns, balance, and having events.
The crossovers are a bonus but not the core.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

IDappa

p7d6umG.jpg
They didn't even need to add shit that looked out of place. I mean one of the most sort after outfits is Darth maul with a good on..

MrMephistoX

They didn't even need to add shit that looked out of place. I mean one of the most sort after outfits is Darth maul with a good on..

A good on? As in hard? Little difficult considering he lost his entire lower torso AMIRIGHT?

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
You lost me at Battlefront 2 being fun to play.......Battlefront 2015 was very fun but lacked content

I didn't care at all about the loot crate BS....Honestly, the loot crates aren't even in my top twenty of what is wrong with Battlefront 2

Battlefront 2 has tons of content but the core gameplay is generic dogshit how anyone can play that game more than 15mins is beyond me

This false narrative that battlefront 2 got good because a bunch of content was added needs to stop BF2 fucking sucks

Fortnite (which I don't even like) and Battlefront 2015 are much better games all the licensed characters in the world wouldn't have saved that POS game

radewagon

They were right about the blinged out skins and keeping to on-brand ideas. Fortnite can get away with that stuff because Fortnite is bonkers (no judgement). Battlefront II's incredible Star Wars "realism" would definitely have been a very poor fit for Fortnite-style shenanigans. I guess the question would then be about which one was the better option: Keeping the realism and attention to detail within the Star Wars universe or bonkers fun. To be honest, I love the look of EA's Battlefront games. They ooze authenticity. It's the monetization that sucked the life out of it.

As for Vader slicing Cap's shield. . . man... that's like, sacrilege.

It is comic canon that sometimes Steve Rogers go to battle with a simple steel shield, because he had Stark borrow his vibranium alloy one for research that day.
It was done to justify how the shield got broken rather frequently early in its history.

Kuranghi

They were right about the blinged out skins and keeping to on-brand ideas. Fortnite can get away with that stuff because Fortnite is bonkers (no judgement). Battlefront II's incredible Star Wars "realism" would definitely have been a very poor fit for Fortnite-style shenanigans. I guess the question would then be about which one was the better option: Keeping the realism and attention to detail within the Star Wars universe or bonkers fun. To be honest, I love the look of EA's Battlefront games. They ooze authenticity. It's the monetization that sucked the life out of it.

It's Caps fault really, he should have polished it with Woodoo Hide.

Last edited:

Techies

I find the whole Fortnite thing interesting, in my UT days my games I use to mod all kinds of characters from various brands into my game. The only thing that's changed is that it's now official and professionally made and you pay for it.

Due to it's popularity and ability to attract the younger crowd, it's reaching a point where if your IP is not in fortnite, you'll end up with a generation that grows up completely unaware of your existence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom