• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Lead Combat Designer on God of War Joins inExile Entertainment

CyberPanda

Banned
One of the most celebrated games of the past generation was without a doubt God of War. Released in 2018 to universal acclaim, it proved that a complete reboot of a franchise can be wildly successful.

It’s fair to say that within God of War, one of the most beloved aspects was the combat which just felt “right” from top to bottom. One of the Senior Combat Designers on God of War was Dean Rymer – who announced that he is now the Lead Combat Designer for inExile Entertainment.

Rymer, whose credits also include PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and a stint at BioWare, posted the news on Twitter last night.

Our Take

The studios under the new Xbox Game Studios suite have certainly been bringing in talent from all across the industry in the past year. While inExile is releasing Wasteland 3 later this year, that project was already well underway when they were acquired by Xbox. However, inExile is reportedly working on a new IP in the vein of a “AAA RPG” which we certainly can’t wait to hear more about.

Pallas

IRkhfYI.gif

Belmonte

Seems InXile will switch to action RPGs after Wasteland 3.

Don't know how I feel about this but at least I'm glad we have so many traditional WRPGs being made, like Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Baldur's Gate 3. Solasta and Realms Beyond.

Barakov

The combat in God Of War was pretty good so the combat in that InExile game should be pretty good. Kinda crazy how much talent is being poached from Sony.

Former Lead Combat Designer on God of War Joins inExile Entertainment
Thread & article title vs the text in the article...
One of the Senior Combat Designers on God of War was Dean Rymer – who announced that he is now the Lead Combat Designer for inExile Entertainment.
Edit: Added "& article".

Last edited:

Sussoloc

I don't get how XBOX guys make such big deals about former SIE devs moving to XBOX. If the janitor from Naught Dog starts working at the coalition I'm sure they'll make a thread about it.
Who makes a big deal here? The combat system in God of War wasn't that great. Personally i liked the old God of War games more than the lastofusified God of War.

Rolla

Banned
Who makes a big deal here? The combat system in God of War wasn't that great. Personally i liked the old God of War games more than the lastofusified God of War.

You do realize that there is a "Team" in place to design that specific aspect right? If you told me the combat team left SSM for an XBOX studio I'd think something of it. But a single dev? To me the excitement XBOX guys have about singular PS devs moving to one of their studios proves that behind the scenes they know XBOX is in a dire position, despite all that nonsense about Gamepass being the next best thing/saviour for them next gen.

Sussoloc

You do realize that there is a "Team" in place to design that specific aspect right? If you told me the combat team left SSM for an XBOX studio I'd think something of it. But a single dev? To me the excitement XBOX guys have about singular PS devs moving to one of their studios proves that behind the scenes they know XBOX is in a dire position, despite all that nonsense about Gamepass being the next best thing/saviour for them next gen.
Wait, you are telling me more than 1 person worked on God of War? You don't say. I must have missed all that excitement you are talking about. I'm more into Xbox and i don't care about it. People always change their working places, nothing special about it. On the other hand, i really do think that Game Pass is a big deal for costumers today and for MS in the future and Sony also will be pushing PS Now massively, mark my words.

Last edited:
Top Bottom