• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that have played them. How would you rank the Wipeout games?

Kadve

Having only really played HD, i was considering trying out some other games in the series and was wondering which are actually good and which are just a waste of time.

The games are:

Wipeout (PS1, PC, Saturn)
2097/XL (PS1, PC, Saturn, Mac, Amiga)
64 (N64)
Wip3out and its Special edition (PS1)
Fusion (PS2)
Pure (PSP)
Pulse (PSP, PS2)
HD/Fury (PS3, PS4)
2048 (Vita, PS4)

bellome

Wipeout is one of my favourite vg IPs.

I don't like ranking WIpeout games since they all (almost) hold a special place in my heart and they run on very different hws

I guess the latest are actually my favourite mainly for a graphical point of view. Musically i prefer the old ones.

Anyway, this is my list. I hope it helps.

+Omega Collection (PS4/PS5)
HD/Fury (PS3, PS4)
2048 (Vita, PS4)
Pulse (PSP, PS2)
Fusion (PS2)
Pure (PSP)
64 (N64)

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions as each release has tweaks to the formula some like & some hated. Take Wipeout Fusion for example, hated when it released but I thoroughly it and the game got me through my college days. Wip3out still holds up well enough today from the original trio, but I recently went back to the original on Saturn and I didn't enjoy it like I used to. HD/Fury is also still good, but if you have a PS4 then just grabbing the Omega Collection gives you the best versions of those - also has 2048 which is worth playing too and the last Wipeout from Studio Liverpool

The ones in the omega collection played via PSVR are the best versions you can get, nothing more mindblowing than been sat in the cockpit of those floating cars going at crazy speeds while in VR. I don't like the series that much but that collection totally blew my mind.

Whilst not as mind blowing as VR, the stereoscopic 3D was pretty neat on HD/Fury, if you set it up right it looked as though the vehicle was floating in front of the screen. Shame it got pulled for the Omega Collection port to PS4

Tschumi

2048, imo, it's beautiful, pretty fun, on vita.. inexcusable loading times but meh

Fun fact a friend of mine worked on the first x Wipeouts and some Colin McCrae games, he got head hunted by Sony when he broke a racing game at a game show once in the 90s by drifting in reverse to beat the fastest lap times easily

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I haven't played all of them but loved each one i did play.

I wouldn't dare to rank them but since i play HD and Fury for over a decade now i'd say the Omega Collection is the best.

Really sad that we haven't got a new iteration for nearly 10 years.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
It's honestly hard to go back to any console Wipeout offerings after Omega. It's the absolute height of Wipeout. Everything else doesn't feel as smooth and refined, and Wipeout is all about feeling smooth and refined. So yeah, Omega is the pinnacle of the series.

I do have a soft spot for Pure and Pulse on the PSP though. I played Pure on my PSP back in 2006. Man that was 15 years ago :messenger_neutral: if you play those games on the hardware intended, you'll likely have a good time because they are really impressive and hold up very well considering their age.

Every entry I've played has been great. (1, XL, 3, Fusion, HD/Fury). For me, HD/Fury would be at the top with the original at the bottom (penalized so harshly for bumping a wall), but I really enjoyed them all.

SkylineRKR

I would say Wipeout 2097 at the top spot but its a PS1 game at 30fps and likely not as good as it once was.

So in that case I lean towards Wipeout 2048 HD as the very best one. And its even in full VR.

Unknown?

Having only really played HD, i was considering trying out some other games in the series and was wondering which are actually good and which are just a waste of time.

The games are:

64 (N64)
Fusion (PS2)
Pure (PSP)
Pulse (PSP, PS2)
HD/Fury (PS3, PS4)
2048 (Vita, PS4)
I never understood how they bought psygnosis but their games still went to Saturn and 64.

MacReady13

Still have much love for Wip3out and 2097. Massive part of my teenage years. The look. The music. Everything just oozed AWESOME-NESS! I love all the Wipeout games though. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Kadve

I never understood how they bought psygnosis but their games still went to Saturn and 64.
Going by Wikipedia. It sounds like Sony didn't actually approve these separate publishing/development deals Psygnosis was making (Wipeout 64 for example were published by Midway) and led to friction between them which eventually led to the studio being consolidated (ie, becoming a branch of SCEE) into Studio Liverpool in 1999.

Sony even tried to sell it off at before this but didn't go trough with it

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They're all good.

If I had to pick a favourite, it would be Wipeout 3 on the PS1.

That game really pushed the graphics of the PS1 and I have a load of nostalgic memories playing that game.

Top Bottom