• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who spend New Year's Eve at home & alone: got any gaming plans for the night?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I always wondered if those online MMO games ever had any events where people would actually have a get-together and try to interact with each other through the game. I was also considering trying out a VR Chat and I even saw some special events that are taking place today in there too. Sounds interesting but honestly, every time I went into one of those VR Chat rooms it was always filled with people who just did not want to talk to anyone at all, and it's usually even worse in multiplayer games. Likely because most people who spend NYE playing video games are the kind of people who aren't interested in socializing anyway so it's a pretty depressing way to seek out social interactions when you're stuck at home not by your own choice, lol.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
5d5.png

Kuranghi

I've got a nasty cough so even if I did want to go out I'd probably not be able to speak to anyone I met anyway.

I live in Scotland, everyone drinks and I'm not big into it anymore so my options are going out and drinking on my own (prob won't end well), going out and sitting in a bar drinking water and sitting on my phone or taking some other drugs and going out on my own.

All sounds like a bad idea so I'll stay in and be depressed I think, a great way to ring in the new year I think you'll agree.

it's 17:31 here. been playing some games on PC already. chilling (and drinking) alone to some music and might play some more games. i'm really tired so will probably be sleeping in few hours. i can't remember the last time i stayed up to midnight.

this morning i actually found a note i wrote on my phone last new years eve:

"it's new year's eve. woke up by fireworks and just looked at the clock. it's 23:53. im half asleep waiting for midnight... there's the fireworks and now it's 2022"

Last edited:
Maybe I'll fire up Marvel vs. Capcom 2 :]

edit: played some of it, my lineup was Spiderman Iceman and Sakura. Made it to the 4th stage. It was smooth sailing overall until I lost and did a rematch. The rematch was harder than the first time around lol

Last edited:

Hoddi

GF has been sick the past two days so we had to cancel our plans. I'll be pwning n00bs in Rocket League and probably sip some whisky.

But we have two cats so it's not all bad. The fireworks culture is pretty insane here.

Drizzlehell

Banned
it's 17:31 here. been playing some games on PC already. chilling (and drinking) alone to some music and might play some more games. i'm really tired so will probably be sleeping in few hours. i can't remember the last time i stayed up to midnight.

this morning i actually found a note i wrote on my phone last new years eve:

"it's new year's eve. woke up by fireworks and just looked at the clock. it's 23:53. im half asleep waiting for midnight... there's the fireworks and now it's 2022"
Nice. I actually found a note too that I made in Windows Sticky Notes like 3 years ago, and I just wrote down how I got to the end of Medal of Honor Allied Assault and firerowrks started going off just as I was running away from that exploding factory and it was pretty cool. I also wrote how I'm gonna find a new job and have a better social life and take better care of myself and shit. Typical new year's resolution crap.

The good thing is that I was at least able to find a way better job. The bad thing is that I had to move across the country for that job, and I started it barely a month before COVID started. This pretty much ruined any kind of opportunity to build a new social circle around here. Now I'm stuck hundreds of miles away from all my IRL friends and no one to go out with around where I live because I spent the last 2 years working from home and not making any new friends.

Yahoo.

UnNamed

Banned
Sometimes walk outside when everybody is celebrating is depressing.
But some other time, go to a party because people think you must have fun is also a wrong choice.
In the end, new year's eve is just another night, spend it in a way it makes feel better to you and not people around you.

Isa

Its been raining for a long time now turning to snow and its expected to go on for the whole day and night so nothing big I wager. Plus it just never mattered much to me. My girlfriend just missed the storm too thankfully as she took her Mom back to Mexico after she spent the Holidays with us here.

Not sure what I'll play, I don't drink much if at all, not a drug guy. Been listening to a mteric fuckton of metal and synthwave and working on my homemade tabletop rpg game. Its been a blast and a loooong time coming but its been worth it. With the gf gone it'll allow me more time to really get working on the art side of things.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sometimes walk outside when everybody is celebrating is depressing.
But some other time, go to a party because people think you must have fun is also a wrong choice.
In the end, new year's eve is just another night, spend it in a way it makes feel better to you and not people around you.
Agreed. Although this happens to be one of those years where I would enjoy taking a dangerous amount of drugs and having lots of unprotected vaginal sex.

I stayed at home playing spongebob squarepants battle for bikini bottom and making sure our dog doesn‘t get a heartattack. Damn fireworks!!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

killatopak

Was planning to start my Pro playthrough of RE4 but friends invited me for a drink and during that we then plan to go on a trip after a nap.

Will still likely do that playthrough once we return.

Isa

I ended up playing Re5 after god knows how many years. Starting from the beginning, its been fun so far. I get the hate and don't. I bet Capcom didn't. They were probably like "you all said you LOVED 4!? We gave you more straight to the source action with like no puzzles and even co-op! What the hell!?". Like many games early in their stages of evolution it feels hella clunky to control but for releasing when it did its not bad. I really appreciate the pretty faces, well on the ladies anyway. As per the era way to much browns and greys. I like the action but miss the vendor, thankfully brought back in 8. I still prefer RE2make & 3 as I think they really did the 3rd person camera and classic RE design best, but this also has some nice regional damage. I never had the chance to play the DLC as the economic downturn around this games release meant I played the full co-op with my buddy but later moved out of state etc.

Its actually kind of funny, some games age better than others, perhaps due to the sheer greatness of the controls and gameplay. These weird period 3rd person games kind of get janky but the loop is fun. I've also started up Bioshock to replay the series after a forum thread here and while I love it to bits the FPS gameplay isn't bad but pales compared to what's on offer circa 2022. Just an observation on how far we've come. Not midnight yet here, still snowing and people trying to either park or leave and failing miserably lol. A few firecrackers.

Edit: Oh yeah, I freakin' love cutscenes! I'm so sick of walkie-talkies that force us to stop and listen to long-winded often trite and banal banter when I could watch a cool animated scene play out. It sucks that is so rare these days.

Last edited:

JCK75

I've been playing way too much Elden Ring, think I'm going to spend my evening trying to get BOTW installed all my steam deck.

KO7

I didn’t work up the courage to ask my dental hygienist out tonight, so I’m “stuck” home alone playing Ghost of Tsushima (she’s leaving the field soon, and suggested we keep in touch).

baphomet

Was planning on hanging out at home and playing some osu and CoD since I have a tattoo appointment tomorrow and don't want to be getting my knee ditches tattooed hungover.

Just got a message from a friend to come over and play some board games with them, so I'm gonna go do that.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not alone, but I put in some time into GT7 since my new shifter came in. Crushed it on there and on WRC generations. What a game changer.

Now I’m gonna hang out with the Mrs watching doom patrol after putting my son to sleep, then probably continue on with some dying light 2 or plague tale requiem.

Rambone

Ark Survival Evolved on the Switch. Lots of people playing now since they released a new updated version of it. I'm having a blast running around the beaches spreading swamp aids to everyone who decided to log out in the open and getting in fights with beach bobs.

Kuranghi

I'm watching Smoke N Scan live on youtube. Jesu Christi I'm so stoned:

Tim And Eric Flirting GIF

I fell asleep between 1:30am & 2am and then 3am & 4am, now I have my 4th wind so I'm gonna finish Mafia 2, which is a silly game in many ways. After Mafia 1 being so serious most of the time, 2 feels almost like slapstick in parts imo. Still fun but I wish it had been made more recently so the tone could've come through better, that they had more money and that they could've made a tight 8-10 hour game instead of padding it with ludicrous driving back and forth.

I'm not a club person, and I don't drink, so the New Year is a bizarre holiday for me.

I skied today with my brother, had some pho, then we played a board game called Ark Nova [we're about half way through the play through].

We're not big board game players so this is unusual for us; but it was kind of like playing Civilization in how focused I was on it.

The only New Year tradition I really have is puppy chow and Martinelli's.

This was probably my favorite New Year that I've had just from the randomness of it.

If I have a "New Year's Eve" game, it's FFXIV. The Heavensturn music is sublime.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I was thinking about this last night.

I did go out but in truth New Year is boring, expensive, crowded and I’d prefer to just stay home with a game and snacks - bonus points for getting a group game going.

The “game” on my mind last night was A-Train 9 v5 DX….Don’t judge me!

So I was out in a nightclub but basically counting the the time to sober up and get back to it.

So spare a thought for those of us who are forced out against our will on New Year too!

GymWolf

The only gaming i saw last night was the son of my best friend scratching the prepaid cards of roblox and fortnite i gifted to him and then him doing a couple of matches with the new skins.

NahaNago

Well, I just stayed indoors. I finished FF: Strangers Paradise tonight and then got invited by a friend to Dead Or Alive 5: LR out of all games on new years. Can’t lie. I actually had fun. My home theater actually drowned out all the loud and constant fireworks going on for hours. Yeah, fun times.
I think I'll work on finishing FF strangers of paradise this week.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Edit: Oh yeah, I freakin' love cutscenes! I'm so sick of walkie-talkies that force us to stop and listen to long-winded often trite and banal banter when I could watch a cool animated scene play out. It sucks that is so rare these days.
Doesn't RE5 have walkie-talkies too, though? I played it recently for Halloween and I remember that the game opens with like 20 minutes of slow walking and talking. It was especially amusing because when Chris' doesn't have any weapon equipped he has this pimp-ass walking animation.

Anyway, it's a decent shooter but even after all these years I can't get over how shitty the inventory system is, and the AI partner is still annoying as hell.

Reactions: Isa

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm watching Smoke N Scan live on youtube. Jesu Christi I'm so stoned:

Tim And Eric Flirting GIF

I fell asleep between 1:30am & 2am and then 3am & 4am, now I have my 4th wind so I'm gonna finish Mafia 2, which is a silly game in many ways. After Mafia 1 being so serious most of the time, 2 feels almost like slapstick in parts imo. Still fun but I wish it had been made more recently so the tone could've come through better, that they had more money and that they could've made a tight 8-10 hour game instead of padding it with ludicrous driving back and forth.
Finally, thank you! I always thought I was crazy for not liking this game while everyone around me praised the hell out of it. I enjoyed those moments of downtime in between missions in Mafia 1 because they were usually way shorter than missions themselves and they kinda built up the atmosphere of the game, but Mafia II had this ratio all screwed up and it felt more like doing an occasional mission in between all the chores and it was boring as fuck. I also really disliked the storyline in that game which felt kinda meandering and pointless, and the ending sucked too.

Top Bottom