• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For all the improvements that No Man's Sky got over the years, you still have to spend excruciatingly large number of hours before it gets interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montauk

I don't, and have never owned the game.

I defend it because it should, by any standards, be a true "feelgood" story for the industry. A tiny indie team takes on a project of immense scope, and despite delivering pretty much what was promised, got absolutely shellacked because their non-media trained lead coder got thrust into the spotlight and ended up fucking up the messaging.

Following the sort of response that would make most devs embittered and cynical, they then spend the next 7 fucking years constantly expanding and enhancing the game at no additional cost. Resulting in a product now that by general consensus is vastly more and better than what was promised at the outset.

Once again; this is a tiny indie, not some corporate behemoth with an endless money supply to prop up their franchises.

And yet, as I pointed out, there are people like you who just have to shit on the game and anyone who likes or defends it, because... Umm, because ? I dunno, your opinion is so deathlessly important that you have to run your mouth about it any opportunity.

Hey your ‘tiny indie’ made a fuck-tonne load of money off the game. The sales were huge. Before many realised they’d been sold a dud.

How do you think they’ve funded all these updates?

I’m sorry but I don’t care about the whole overplayed redemption fairy tale narrative. I care about games. Good games.

Last edited:

Montauk

Play on a customized mode where you don't need as much resources for stuff like fuel and health. That Drastically cuts down on time you need for mining and farming for resources.

A classic cop-out which NMS fans go for immediately in light of how tedious the gameplay is.

Just don’t play the original game mode, which is the game as they have designed it. That’s the genius solution.

We can add “don’t play the actual normal game” to the repeated advice to use cheats to get a sense of just how well this is designed.

Last edited:
Yeah I've tried to get into this game too, but the beginning hours are a slog.
yea, it was back then and it seems like it kinda still is but it seems like it might get interesting sooner now. I just watched a video of some guy who tried NMS in 2023 and looks like it started getting excited in the first 2-3 hrs, at least for him.

Edellus

If you've played this game for 15 hours and all you have done is building a basic base and repairing your ship, the possibility you're doing something wrong is very real.

The tutorial + story up until the anomaly, which one could say is the minimum requirement for the game to fully open up is like 2 hours or something (I don't remember right now, but it wasn't too much time). And from then on you can set whatever objective you want, persue them, and along the way find even more objectives.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I made an effort to play for the first time the other night because it's on sale for $30 and the visual update on PSVR2 is really impressive.

I spawned on an ice planet and my suit was beeping like an alarm clock, ran around and wasn't quite sure what I was doing, the menu/UI wasn't exactly intuitive but I did complete a few objectives and was heading towards a space ship. The game then crashed, I was probably 5-10 minutes in.

I can safely say I've had my fill for for the time being. If I do end up revisiting it I'll need to do a bunch of research first.

OuterLimits

You can disable the mechanics if you find them tedious? Sounds well designed.

Combine this with the comment about using cheats to skip through the horrific slog and it definitely sounds like a compelling game.

Playing on "normal" difficulty isn't much of a slog. You can easily mine tons of resources with little effort and basic hazard protections last a significant amount of time even without upgrades(unless a very extreme planet).

Playing on Survival difficulty or permadeath will definitely be a slow grind, but that of course is expected.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

A classic cop-out which NMS fans go for immediately in light of how tedious the gameplay is.

Just don’t play the original game mode, which is the game as they have designed it. That’s the genius solution.

We can add “don’t play the actual normal game” to the repeated advice to use cheats to get a sense of just how well this is designed.
I mean there's a mode to customize every aspect of the game making it easier OR harder...or you can play it exactly as they intended. I don't see how this is any different than choosing a difficulty option.

I don't understand your point of trying to shame someone for customizing the game experience that gives them the most enjoyment...weird but ok.

Montauk

I mean there's a mode to customize every aspect of the game making it easier OR harder...or you can play it exactly as they intended. I don't see how this is any different than choosing a difficulty option.

I don't understand your point of trying to shame someone for customizing the game experience that gives them the most enjoyment...weird but ok.

It’s up to the designer of a game to make it enjoyable to play, not the player.

And it’s not like a difficulty level, you're just talking about adjusting a tedium slider to make the game less agonisingly boring to work through.

Perhaps if Hello Games had made a better game there wouldn’t be so many people saying they’ve struggled through many hours of the game and therefore there wouldn’t be such a need for fans of the game to seemingly to defend it by pointing out that you can speed up the awful gameplay?

It’s just a very telling response.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Pro-tip for players coming back to the game or people who don't want to slog through tutorials

BcJcfq9.jpg
I1y4ac6.jpg

There are other options to reduce the grind or general difficulty too if you want.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hey your ‘tiny indie’ made a fuck-tonne load of money off the game. The sales were huge. Before many realised they’d been sold a dud.

How do you think they’ve funded all these updates?

I’m sorry but I don’t care about the whole overplayed redemption fairy tale narrative. I care about games. Good games.

The point is that rather than just moving on to the next thing whilst laughing and counting the money, they actually diligently stuck with it and have over the last few years turned it into a game of which the majority opinion is very positive.

That's just the fact of the matter.

That you think that doesn't matter highlights the pretence that you "care" about games. Because if only the rest of the industry was as committed, the whole gaming scene would be in far better shape.

As to you personally not liking the game. Whatever. Maybe its just not for you? That you'd post so many times on the topic constantly dismissing any opposing viewpoints with ad-hominems like "Stockholm Syndrome" just puts the nails in the coffin-lid of your credibility.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I played it for about 4 hours and then gave up, the game provides virtually no directions at the start, I'm not watching YouTube videos on how the play the game when the game won't even tell me how to play it.

Montauk

The point is that rather than just moving on to the next thing whilst laughing and counting the money, they actually diligently stuck with it and have over the last few years turned it into a game of which the majority opinion is very positive.

That's just the fact of the matter.

That you think that doesn't matter highlights the pretence that you "care" about games. Because if only the rest of the industry was as committed, the whole gaming scene would be in far better shape.

As to you personally not liking the game. Whatever. Maybe its just not for you? That you'd post so many times on the topic constantly dismissing any opposing viewpoints with ad-hominems like "Stockholm Syndrome" just puts the nails in the coffin-lid of your credibility.

I simply don’t care about this cozy wholesome narrative about Hello Games. If you want to put a shrine to Sean Murray in your apartment, you can.

I’m talking about the game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was hooked on the game from the start. It wasn't what was promised but I enjoyed it. Not without grind, though. It does take too long to learn words in alien languages.

Pimpbaa

I’d like it more if your ship didn’t need 3 types of fuel. Fuel just to take off from a planet surface? Fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom