• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida likely has first cases of Zika transmitted by mosquitoes on US mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Governor-4-Zika-cases-likely-came-from-Florida-8616664.php

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Florida likely has the first cases of Zika transmitted by mosquitoes on the U.S. mainland, the state's governor said Friday.

No mosquitoes in the state have tested positive for Zika, but one woman and three men in Miami-Dade and Broward counties likely contracted the virus through mosquito bites, Gov. Rick Scott said during a news conference in Orlando.

More than 1,650 Zika infections have been reported in the U.S., but the four patients in Florida would be the first not linked to travel outside the U.S. mainland.

"This is not just a Florida issue. It's a national issue — we just happen to be at the forefront," Scott said.

Health officials believe the infections occurred in a small area just north of downtown Miami, in the popular Wynwood arts district, Scott said.

It's the only part of the state currently being tested for potential local transmissions of Zika, Scott said. Women in the area who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant are urged to contact their doctors and the county health department for Zika prevention kits.

Federal health officials have not recommended that pregnant women avoid travel to South Florida.

Zika primarily spreads through bites from tropical mosquitoes, but it also can be spread through sex. In most people, the virus causes only mild illness, but infection during pregnancy can lead to severe brain-related birth defects for the fetus. There is no vaccine.

The tropical mosquito that spreads Zika and other viruses is found in the southern U.S. While health officials have predicted that mosquitoes in the continental U.S. would begin spreading Zika this summer, they also have said they expect only isolated clusters of infections and not widespread outbreaks.

Florida should be able to contain the virus to an isolated area because its neighborhoods have better sanitation and living conditions than countries where Zika outbreaks have been widespread, said Adam Putnam, Florida's commissioner for agriculture and consumer services.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has told blood centers in Miami-Dade and Broward counties to suspend collections until they can screen each unit of blood for the Zika virus with authorized tests. Neighboring counties have been urged to implement the same precautions, and visitors to South Florida in the last month are encouraged to defer donations as well.

The FDA previously advised U.S. blood banks to refuse donations from people who recently traveled to areas outside the country that have Zika outbreaks.

Florida's main supplier of blood, OneBlood, said it was working as quickly as possible to comply with the FDA's recommendation and would start testing all its collections for Zika on Friday.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Fuck me, please stay contained in South Fla, don't come up North. This is probably how I'll die, knowing my luck. FLorida is mosquito heaven, with all the swamps and shit.

-d0hv

hitme

giphy.gif

entremet

Unlike many of the affected areas, the US can have more aggressive spraying practices.

Moreover, those areas don't have options to terminate a pregnancy. It's still not a great thing, but the issues of Zika in the third world are more manageable here.

I'm in south Miami but it's only a matter of time. I get bit by mosquitos every day, I'm an indoor guy too but they get inside all the time. it's impossible to avoid them. What am I supposed to do.

Zackat

I'm in south Miami but it's only a matter of time. I get bit by mosquitos every day, I'm an indoor guy too but they get inside all the time. it's impossible to avoid them. What am I supposed to do.

me too (south Florida, at least), and I have no idea. gonna have to start wearing bug spray all the time when I step outside.

Zika does stay in your body for long.

Doesn't Zika only cause developmental problems for already pregnant women who have the disease during pregnancy? My understanding is that having a man with Zika won't have any of the super negative effects, but they'll be a carrier that can make it easier to spread

Liberty4all

Banned
Wife and I are going to Mexico and she will be in Cuba before that. Already discuss and no pumpum without protection during trips and for a couple months afterwards.

Sort of sucks we want kids. Booked trips before we realized the risks. :(

Ovid

Malreyn

Wait, this screws up any sperm you will ever produce?

You can transmit the virus through sperm....there's not enough research into this though so nobody actually knows how long Zika virus truly survives in your sperm, but if its anything like Ebola, there were reports that Ebola survivors transmitted the Ebola virus through sex because it somehow survived in men's sperm well past the period where the patient survived the symptomatic/deathly phase.

Keri

I just had a baby 3 weeks ago and I am so thankful I made it through the pregnancy before Zika came to the U.S. I don't live in Florida, but this news would have sent me into a panic (even though I'm certain the U.S. is more equipped to limit spread of this virus). Just the same, stay indoors and wear mosquito repellant, pregnant Floridians.

Kid Ying

I've had Zika. It sucks. When you see the list of the symptoms there is a lot of stuff, but when i got it, it itched so much that i don't remember anything else. It itched inside of me, i couldn't scratch for the life of me. It was like a batallion of ants were walking inside my skin.

It's pretty awful. But in less than a week you're already good to go. The only true risk is if you want to be pregnant right now or are already in the middle of.

Markoman

Why can't mankind unite and fight a common enemy for once, the true evil of this world?
More human beings have been killed by Mosquitoes than by other human beings...so that's telling.
I'm pretty sure that they are useless for the eco-system. Whatever creature on this planet needs mosquitoes to survive...fuck it, we'll find a proper replacement, like mashed M&Ms or genetically modified slow, skinny and silent flies.
To all those hippies out there saying "but they're Gaya's children too"...."FU"!!!!!!!!! Mosquitoes need to die!!!! All of them!!!

Markoman

Nuking mosquitoes won't work. They'll join forces with roaches and then we'll have radioactive roaches and mosquitoes.

Yes, you're right. Those little bastards are clever and they'll counter us with some guerilla tactics.
You know what is more effective than nukes? Good old-fashioned ground war: 10 million US american citzens with flame throwers will put this sinister coalition to a quick end.

Markoman

After these patient zero cases are contained, Maybe We can cover America with one giant mosquito net.

(Charlton Heston voice)
Listen son, you better stay far away from me and my trusty flamethrower, you communist hippie!!!!
They've had like 100000+ years to adapt to our way of life. They don't want to cooperate and they don't want to stay where they belong, so burn them all!

IrishNinja

Fuck me, please stay contained in South Fla, don't come up North.

oh no no no, northern FL could use a culling

I live in Kendall, time to shower myself in mosquito repellent.

you'll be aight fam, if you're in west kendall you're more likely gonna die in traffic anyway

And nothing of value was lost

lololol these gifs and comments, they're so very fresh

That would only increase their power, and their craziness. Some Fallout: Fort Lauderdale shit

okay yeah im kinda down for this now

Welp. And I happen to live where there's the most water.

It's a good thing my girlfriend and I aren't having children ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom