• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First glimpse of new Rare game? (terrible picture quality)

trmas

Banned
The fall of Rare is the main reason I can skip the xbone without remorse. Whatever that is, it looks like CRAP compared to everything else on the screen.

Black tusk game top right? Bottom third is maybe the family island game?

Yeah, that is what we have been guessing so far.

Well isn't the rare game supposed to be based on a classic franchise? Which of their franchises would that picture be?
This isn't necessarily the classic franchise. There are supposedly two teams at Rare so this could be the new IP and the classic still unknown...KI ;)

Well isn't the rare game supposed to be based on a classic franchise? Which of their franchises would that picture be?

I haven't seen anywhere mention it's based on a classic franchise, only the word historic used - which judging from this picture is in reference to the setting of the game, rather than meaning a historic Rare IP.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Black tusk game top right? Bottom third is maybe the family island game?

Who is the family island game supposed to be made by?

I thought that, not only the alien world behind, but also his costume. Knight Inspired Astronaut?
No Knights.

jdknSFkIeeHnS.png

shandy706

Studying that image in the top right much more closely.

I see a character in a cloak, with a shield and a sword. I'm thinking that could be a Fable/Fantasy/medieval type game.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That's what I thought when the low quality image was posted, but seeing this one it looks like something more on the vein of Lionhead. Isn't BT's IP a hardcore space shooter?

Last I heard it was a horror shooter.

Studying that image in the top right much more closely.

I see a character in a cloak, with a shield and a sword. I'm thinking that could be a Fable/Fantasy/medevil type game.

Yeah, the cloak makes me think it is not Ryse, in addition to that the overall look of it(especially the doors) seems too Eastern? To be Ryse at least, middle right is probably a better guess for Ryse.

So for the icons:
Crackdown 3
Forza
Fantasy Rare game? Reminds me of Kameo
Halo
Kinect Island Adventures
Ryse
New RPG?

Fantasy maybe? It does look somewhat sci-fi though, at least his clothing. From historical Rare it sort of reminds me of Kameo in some ways.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

TheOddOne

Well that legacy IP thing reported doesn't say if it's a new game or maybe a port. Seeing as The XBLA team posted the KI trademark info, my guess would be that it's a port that could be done by an outside studio (Like 4J).

Makes sense, but how does that tie in that we know they are working on a "historical game"? Weren't they also hiring for a "AAA" game too? Don't think that would fit either category.

Of course they are big enough to work on more than one game at once.

TheOddOne

There is also that other game we saw which looked like it was taking place on a island. It's the third icon on the bottom in that picture.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bright and cartoony, must be a family game.

Also he's confirmed not to be a knight.

Bright and cartoony skydiver-dude then.

Rare has been making family-friendly games for years on end now. Which is not a bad thing, by the way. It got us Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts.

It also gave us Kinect Sports and Avatars though, and this art looks reminiscent of those titles.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
There is also that other game we saw which looked like it was taking place on a island. It's the third icon on the bottom in that picture.

That doesn't look like and Island, more like an artifact of sorts. Also, it would have Rare's logo. Pretty sure Rare is working on multiple titles, they have the man power.

So, will this be a real game or some crappy sports title ?

I know what you mean, but let's not dismiss it yet. I mean, it's good to keep hype in check, but with Kinect 2 being so accurate, this time the game might work as intended.

dancmc

They're quite big, they could handle it. One for Kinect and one for the core I'm assuming right now.

That's what I would assume as well; but one can hope for 2 core titles. I really can't wait to see what MS has in store for E3 despite this weeks' missteps, backpedaling, sidestepping. I really hope they showcase their "1 billion" investment in games development and 15 exclusive titles.

If you take it on face value; their conference on 5/21 delivered exactly what they said they would prior to it taking place. They said they would be giving a broad vision for the console and their strategy and then E3 would be about games. here is hoping they deliver on the 2nd part of that promise.

I haven't seen anywhere mention it's based on a classic franchise, only the word historic used - which judging from this picture is in reference to the setting of the game, rather than meaning a historic Rare IP.
Well he kept using the word IP. Like the whole interview was in the score of Rare IP so that's where that idea came from.

Shads

Considering there's no backward compatibility, I would assume all of these will be new Xbox One titles. I'm actually surprised that Microsoft would give Crackdown another chance, since I don't believe the first 2 sold very well, but I'm glad they didn't give up on the series. The game with the Rare logo doesn't look promising, in my opinion, that bald dude in front looks terrible like Wall Guy terrible (yes, the picture isn't the clearest of all things). At first it looked like a very happy knight from the Crusades in some Pandora-looking world, but that doesn't make sense. Then the skydiving comment definitely does as the strap around his waist looks like he may have a backpack or in this case, parachute. So Kinect Extreme Sports Season 1? Meh, maybe it could be fun for families and such, but I'll pass... hopefully Rare is making more than just this game though.

Is it possible all the hints about PGR5 is really just Rare helping Turn 10 with environment modeling for the real world location courses in FM5? I don't see Microsoft wanting to release 2 racers at launch as Forza would most likely cannibalize PGR sales.

Seanlb

Neo Member
Just a random ponder from the guys pose. Could he be wearing some sort of leathers/racing attire, and could this game be some sort of racing title (with all those hired racing types), maybe some sort of futuristic racing title maybe even including water elements (wasn't there that Hydro Thunder rumour?)...I'll let you sane people carry on.

Edit: didn't see the skydiving post. That seems the winner.

Top Bottom