• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Hands-On Demo (Chapter 0-3) Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are the transitions based on what ims eeing.

Chapter 0 scene - may be PS4 due to the start menu prior being PS4, and the higher resolution of the scene.

Chapter 1 opening - Xbox

Cindy scene forward - PS4

Around 25:50 mark the Diner menu - xbox.

about 37:33 mark - starting from the cut right after prompto countdown and the door is locked is PS4 again.

about 39:15 ,ark - scene with noct on the phone with cor is once again xbox.

starting at the chapter 3 pont, it becomes a heavy mix of footage but look at any on screen buttons.

The start with the chocobo guy asking you to take out deadeye is Xbox.

trackign deadeye ps4.

fighting deadeye down to mission complete is xbox.

chocobo menu is ps4.

chocobo riding and racing is xbox and so is fishing.

cid modding scene, garula hunt ps4.

warping noctis in white shirt is xbox followed by ps4 and back and forth a couple times.

driving into lestallum scene going forward seems to be all ps4.
Lol why would they split it up so much? Learning tho I noticed the graphics looked bad one time and I laughed becahaf popped into my head when I noticed. It was the chocobo ranch racing

xion4360

Lol why would they split it up so much? Learning tho I noticed the graphics looked bad one time and I laughed becahaf popped into my head when I noticed. It was the chocobo ranch racing

Kind of wish the would release a couple cuts that are all ps4 and all xbox. but i could simply cut the video myself...actually i think im going to do just that. Ill post them when they are done.

chozen

And that source is literally a joke.

giphy.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sure. I don't think that was a good comparison though. Say what you want about FFXV, but I think it is hard to dispute that the creatures at least look impressive. The gigantic bird for instance in the footage, looked quite a bit more impressive to me than say the Griffins in W3. Visually, I think probably the enemies in Blood and Wine are the most impressive in Witcher, but I didn't find any really stood out in terms of scale or complexity.
They look impressive due to their size, (especially that titan, leviathan, and bird thing), but we're talking about something that's feasible on console vs. something that isn't for obvious reasons. I never stated that the creatures didn't look impressive.

here are the transitions based on what im seeing. gamersyde footage.

Chapter 0 scene - may be PS4 due to the start menu prior being PS4, and the higher resolution of the scene.

Chapter 1 opening - Xbox

about 37:33 mark - starting from the cut right after prompto countdown and the door is locked is PS4 again.

about 39:15 mark - scene with noct on the phone with cor is once again xbox.

starting at the chapter 3 pont, it becomes a heavy mix of footage but look at any on screen buttons.

trackign deadeye ps4.

chocobo menu is ps4.

warping noctis in white shirt is xbox followed by ps4 and back and forth a couple times.

Im impressed at how much of a noticeable difference there is between the xbox and ps4 footage.. xbox looks much worse.. if they just fix the framerate drops and some minor texture pop in on ps4 it will look really nice. The effects and motion blur are very good. Xbox has more pop in, way blurrier and screen tearing.

Thanks...now I know what I am looking at :)

I believe Tabata said something like 100 hours if you try and do everything. Don't remember 200 hours coming up....

In terms of clearing the main story, we’re anticipating about 40 to 50 hours of gameplay, so there will be that at the very least. But there are a lot of side quests and extra stuff. With that alone, we’re looking at about 100 hours of gameplay. So if you count all of that, we’re looking at about 200 hours total if you clear everything. Fans have been waiting for quite a while, so we want to make sure there is a lot to enjoy when it’s out.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ll-include-story-content/#S2t1FRYe4GcZemcl.99

50 hours for the main story + 100 / 150 for the side content.

Ah, was that it?

I can easily believe it. I think I've put 200+ hours into W3 by this point, and we know the landmass is far less....

Edit, right:

In terms of clearing the main story, we’re anticipating about 40 to 50 hours of gameplay, so there will be that at the very least. But there are a lot of side quests and extra stuff. With that alone, we’re looking at about 100 hours of gameplay. So if you count all of that, we’re looking at about 200 hours total if you clear everything. Fans have been waiting for quite a while, so we want to make sure there is a lot to enjoy when it’s out.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ll-include-story-content/#S2t1FRYe4GcZemcl.99

Sweeeeet!! I'm ready

Crossing Eden

No bullshit, I am really struggling to see how there is a comparison being made here still. How is that more demanding than that big ass adamantoise, I want an explanation and I'm not attempting to pick a side I just don't see it
It's so much more demanding that it literally isn't possible on consoles atm. That fact alone should tell you why. Size isn't the single factor which determines how demanding an object is in-game.

Voror

I'm curious exactly how much side content there really is and most of all how much of it is boring fetch quests and the like. Though it seems you can't ever escape that in RPGs.

It's so much more demanding that it literally isn't possible on consoles atm. That fact alone should tell you why. Size isn't the single factor which determines how demanding an object is in-game.

Aren't "graphically demanding" and "complicated and a huge pain in the ass to implement w/out breaking the rest of the game" two separate factors?

If it's not difficult to implement Titan or Adamantoise type enemies into open world console games, why hasn't it been done?

T.O.P

Banned
Aren't "graphically demanding" and "complicated and a huge pain in the ass to implement w/out breaking the rest of the game" two separate factors?

If it's not difficult to implement Titan or Adamantoise type enemies into open world console games, why hasn't it been done?

Seriously now, who said that it isn't difficult?

Argument started from this

Big creatures certainly push for technical demand, the type of thing TW3 doesn't have,

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, the lighting is super flat now (and obviously the NPC pop in is an issue). Presumably this is the current cost of getting smooth performance. Of course, Duscae 2.0 performed pretty smoothly and looked better than this in many ways. I guess HD towns ARE hard :\

What, realistically, is going to happen in two months of polishing I wonder?

At this point, people should just expect polish to mean "better framerate at the expense of all other visual qualities.", because that's what the last few months of polish have led to.

Crossing Eden

In this case it's both. The way the hair is rendered with hairworks in W3 is to be blunt, incredibly graphically demanding. No one said that it wasn't difficult to implement a titan or an Adamantoise, most devs don't because that's not what they're going for in terms of fantasy.

Seriously now, who said that it isn't difficult?

Argument started from this

I'm not sure anyone here explicitly said it's not difficult. But this long-running on and off again argument seems to bubble up when someone says something like "OK, XV may not be graphically that polished, but look at these huge impressive creatures, that's part of the tradeoff!"

PSY・S;214099836 said:
Not saying it isn't difficult, but Shadow of the Colossus?

Ah, sweet sweet SotC. Yeah, that game was pretty amazing, although we seem to have another order of scale here, in a much busier and bigger world.

wmlk

At this point, people should just expect polish to mean "better framerate at the expense of all other visual qualities.", because that's what the last few months of polish have led to.

That's what happened with Duscae as well, but then Duscae itself saw visual and performance upgrades.

Well, with the shurikens you can attack from a distance, the backflip makes you pretty much invincible and a warp strike will stun the giant for quite some time. You only have to worry about regular attacks that can hit you in the air, the ground stuff and AoE stuff is as easy to avoid as just slightly moving the left stick while attacking.

I didn't quite look at the numbers to see if we do more damage with aerial attacks, though, so maybe they could buff that, but I found the balance very decent. It was much harder to get hit while in the air, and once you stun the enemy you can go for the greatsword attacks to build back MP. It'll also probably be the only way to deal with some fights, and a decent way to avoid getting hit by multiple enemies.

You do lose the OP parry though, so there's that.

Man I had a really different experience from you. With a melee weapon I found myself a lot more vulnerable in the air. The shuriken was somewhat different I'll concede. The thing is you don't get much in the way of a benefit from the shuriken by attacking in the air, and it makes the already MP intensive royal arm a lot more MP intensive. The invincibility frames on the aerial flips and backflips are also really finnicky, due in large part to the fact that they don't seem to have animation canceling like the defend command on the ground (though it, too, is temperamental). The ranged component makes it easier to avoid damage, it's true, and you can just straight up position yourself out of the iron giant's reach to cheese him down which is nice but seems specific to the shuriken and isn't a great case for aerial combat with other weapons.

I can also confirm that you don't do more damage in the air, as I paid strong attention to that, though the shuriken does seem to do differing damage based on distance.

Do you realize that FFX has like 10hs of wedding plot and a journey to gather summons and still people love that game, right?

I don't like FFX but you could diminish every story in existence if you want, try with The Last of Us.

here are the transitions based on what im seeing. gamersyde footage.

Chapter 1 opening - Xbox

about 39:15 mark - scene with noct on the phone with cor is once again xbox.

trackign deadeye ps4.

chocobo menu is ps4.

Im impressed at how much of a noticeable difference there is between the xbox and ps4 footage.. xbox looks much worse.. if they just fix the framerate drops and some minor texture pop in on ps4 it will look really nice. The effects and motion blur are very good. Xbox has more pop in, way blurrier and screen tearing.

So is the implication it's running better on PS4? Could account for the odd dips in quality throughout.

Skinpop

after looking at some footage it seems FF now has quest markers and progress/instructional prompts. I actually can't imagine a worse direction for the series to take, how are people ok with this? It's a complete deal breaker.

Crescende

Banned
Just came in to say that im really really looking forward to play a new Final Fantasy adventure no matter if my tatsty road trip burger has two or three less Pixels then in witcher 3 or GTA or whatever. And a big thank you to the hard working Square Enix crew. You guys must have been through a lot.

wmlk

So is the implication it's running better on PS4? Could account for the odd dips in quality throughout.

There's one part where the XBOX version is in Duscae, and then it suddenly changes to the PS4 version. It made some differences really clear, such as the XBOX version missing AO on the grass.

Gbraga

Man I had a really different experience from you. With a melee weapon I found myself a lot more vulnerable in the air. The shuriken was somewhat different I'll concede. The thing is you don't get much in the way of a benefit from the shuriken by attacking in the air, and it makes the already MP intensive royal arm a lot more MP intensive. The invincibility frames on the aerial flips and backflips are also really finnicky, due in large part to the fact that they don't seem to have animation canceling like the defend command on the ground (though it, too, is temperamental). The ranged component makes it easier to avoid damage, it's true, and you can just straight up position yourself out of the iron giant's reach to cheese him down which is nice but seems specific to the shuriken and isn't a great case for aerial combat with other weapons.

I can also confirm that you don't do more damage in the air, as I paid strong attention to that, though the shuriken does seem to do differing damage based on distance.

I mean, the main reason why I explored air combat a lot is because I think it's cool, so I don't really disagree with you that it lacks real incentives to go that route. Attacking like a mad man and switching to shield to parry-stun the enemy is so OP that you don't really need anything else in the Platinum Demo, but I find that a bit boring. I do enjoy the MP management aspect a lot, though, it's a nice focus when execution isn't really a factor like it would be in a character action game. I'm spamming my aerial attacks and I notice I'm about to run out of MP, instead of just warping to a safe spot and waiting, I switch to the shuriken, warp strike the giant, since he's weak to it and get stunned for a long time, and use the great sword for a while, since it builds your MP in huge chunks.

But just the fact that you have to go through that trouble just to make it more fun already supports that it wasn't very well balanced torwards it.

But I'm guessing the final game will make it more useful in certain situations by using the level design in clever ways and some unique battles, like that air fight segment against the Dragoon in the Uncovered trailer.

DaV

Neo Member
after looking at some footage it seems FF now has quest markers and progress/instructional prompts. I actually can't imagine a worse direction for the series to take, how are people ok with this? It's a complete deal breaker.

Even the new Zelda has those. I'm not a fan either, but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

wmlk

I mean, the main reason why I explored air combat a lot is because I think it's cool, so I don't really disagree with you that it lacks real incentives to go that route. Attacking like a mad man and switching to shield to parry-stun the enemy is so OP that you don't really need anything else in the Platinum Demo, but I find that a bit boring. I do enjoy the MP management aspect a lot, though, it's a nice focus when execution isn't really a factor like it would be in a character action game. I'm spamming my aerial attacks and I notice I'm about to run out of MP, instead of just warping to a safe spot and waiting, I switch to the shuriken, warp strike the giant, since he's weak to it and get stunned for a long time, and use the great sword for a while, since it builds your MP in huge chunks.

But just the fact that you have to go through that trouble just to make it more fun already supports that it wasn't very well balanced torwards it.

But I'm guessing the final game will make it more useful in certain situations by using the level design in clever ways and some unique battles, like that air fight segment against the Dragoon in the Uncovered trailer.

I think there should be ways to gear Noctis towards being more MP heavy with the skill tree, so I'm not worried at all about stuff like that.

Only thing I had a problem with combat wise was magic. My aim was terrible but I also didn't know being locked on automatically has you throw it in that direction

Skinpop

Even the new Zelda has those. I'm not a fan either, but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

from what I've seen of zelda it has a map where you can mark stuff but there's no HUD prompts like "go to this place" or "do this thing" like I'm seeing in FF XV.

Oh damn, you really explored the depth of the combat, as much or more than I did. The bolded was my experience as well, and I found the shield a deeply satisfying addition thanks to it. I really get what you're saying about aerial combat, and I think you're right. In the long run its greatest utility will be letting us fight enemies or weak points we couldn't otherwise reach, which isn't well demonstrated by the iron giant who is not tall enough and cannot fly. I just wish that it didn't have such a steep MP cost since tactically there's not much in the way of a reason to use it at this stage against any enemy you can fight with your feet on the ground. You lose a lot more options than you gain and I'd prefer a balance.

...You already mentioned that though so I'm just rambling. It's better to have this aerial combat system than no option at all. I don't like feeling as though my feet are glued to the ground in action games.

Only thing I had a problem with combat wise was magic. My aim was terrible but I also didn't know being locked on automatically has you throw it in that direction

It's not just you, the aiming is absolutely terrible. Very clunky. I used the lock on and fling option several times and it doesn't really help. Even the iron giant is fast enough that he moves out of the area before your spell goes off roughly half the time. I'm guessing party members distracting enemies will really help, but I'd kill for spells that "stuck" to the enemy like they do in Kingdom Hearts games.

For as much as I'd love for every game to have a well balanced in detail dialogue that explains your directions and what you need to do in such a detail, you don't need those, it's a pipe dream these days, with all the voice acting and other stuff they need to worry about.

And if we just remove those while keeping dialogue the same way it is, it'd be impossible to even understnad what the quest wants from you most of the time. It's like playing Skyrim without quest markers. Game simply doesn't provide you with other sources of information to accomodate lack of markers, like, say, morrowind with it's in-detail directions from npcs, does.

There's one part where the XBOX version is in Duscae, and then it suddenly changes to the PS4 version. It made some differences really clear, such as the XBOX version missing AO on the grass.

This is an odd choice. I skimmed through the video again, noted the timestamps, and the game very noticeably runs/looks better on PS4. Why not just run with the version that demos best?

Skinpop

For as much as I'd love for every game to have a well balanced in detail dialogue that explains your directions and what you need to do in such a detail, you don't need those, it's a pipe dream these days, with all the voice acting and other stuff they need to worry about.

And if we just remove those while keeping dialogue the same way it is, it'd be impossible to even understnad what the quest wants from you most of the time. It's like playing Skyrim without quest markers. Game simply doesn't provide you with other sources of information to accomodate lack of markers, like, say, morrowind with it's in-detail directions from npcs, does.
The only reason quest markers and even worse those prompts are in the game is to facilitate mass production of generic quests. there's no point to having this stuff if the world and story progression are well designed.
go to this place, kill # of these mobs, talk to that person blablabla. can't believe this is what has become of this series.
imo quest markers is one of the worst things that ever happend to games. it invalidates the entire concept of "open world". designers who use them should feel ashamed.

xion4360

This is an odd choice. I skimmed through the video again, noted the timestamps, and the game very noticeably runs/looks better on PS4. Why not just run with the version that demos best?

i cut the video to just the ps4 footage.. ill put it up on youtube when its done.

Gbraga

I think there should be ways to gear Noctis towards being more MP heavy with the skill tree, so I'm not worried at all about stuff like that.

That is true, it's an RPG after all, no matter how flashy combat may look, so improving your stats and build will probably have a big impact on your playstyle.

I hate the way magic works in this game, really hate, it's so boring.

Which is a shame, I love the environmental effects it has, but using it is just... meh.

The one aspect of Versus' combat from 2011 that I still think is better than what we have in the final game is magic, it seemed much more like, you know, magic, than this grenade bullshit.

Oh damn, you really explored the depth of the combat, as much or more than I did. The bolded was my experience as well, and I found the shield a deeply satisfying addition thanks to it. I really get what you're saying about aerial combat, and I think you're right. In the long run its greatest utility will be letting us fight enemies or weak points we couldn't otherwise reach, which isn't well demonstrated by the iron giant who is not tall enough and cannot fly. I just wish that it didn't have such a steep MP cost since tactically there's not much in the way of a reason to use it at this stage against any enemy you can fight with your feet on the ground. You lose a lot more options than you gain and I'd prefer a balance.

...You already mentioned that though so I'm just rambling. It's better to have this aerial combat system than no option at all. I don't like feeling as though my feet are glued to the ground in action games.

Oh yeah, I think I sounded like a shield hater now, but it's actually really cool, it's so satisfying to land a parry with it, I love it! What makes it boring to me is that it's a tad too strong, at least against that particular enemy. If they find a fun balance with enemies' strenghts and weaknesses, it might actually get quite complex and fun to juggle all of the options and remember to switch to that playstyle when fighting only that particular kind of enemy, and doing so against something not as weak to it would get your ass kicked. That could be a blast.

Any other game I'd say it's madness to try to analyze and understand the combat system when you can only fight one fucking enemy, but we've been waiting for so long that I can't help but overthink every tiny bit of gameplay I can get my hands on.

EDIT: And flying enemies??? HGGGGNNNNN, that shit would be amazing to fight against. Please, S-E!

~Cross~

Probably some comarketing agreement? Or just being honest about the product and showing both versions for what they are.

Honestly if they had a time machine SE would probably excise the XBox version from existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom