• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

jiggle

Man. Someone at SE sure does like Naruto.
latest

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe it's just me but the setting and premise is nowhere near interesting than Heavensward. That shit was mad dope yo.

Gnomist

This is about what I expected in terms of announcement. I'm hoping the raid will involve Ala Mhigo itself as the location with us slowly reclaiming it over the course of the expansion. That could set up 5.0 for the invasion of Garlemald with the freed Ala Mhigo as a new capital city. I really hope they're able to invigorate the game with meaningful changes. It's one thing to see the announcement of new content, but if it is going to be implemented in the same flawed way as 2.0 and 3.0 content then I suspect people will just get weary of Stormblood faster than they did Heavensward. Looking forward to more info as it comes out.

So nothing official about adding Red Mage yet? That would probably being me back.

It's not "official", but it is absolutely coming. Just like with Yoshida's Dark Knight tease, they knew what they were hinting towards. Look forward to the next two fanfests, we will probably see the actual job then. I kind of wish they skipped the hints and gave it to us today, but oh well.

Zen Mu

Forever? The game released on PlayStation 3 three years ago. THREE! PlayStation 2 was supported with Final Fantasy XI until the last major content release, and only closed after FOURTEEN years.

People tend to forget that FFXI was originally created for & around the PS2. It was a PS2 game that was ported up to the PC (and later XB360). XIV is a PC game ported down to consoles, and there was only so long they could support a 10 year old console with 512mb of memory and still be able to properly expand the game like they want to.

Forever? The game released on PlayStation 3 three years ago. THREE! PlayStation 2 was supported with Final Fantasy XI until the last major content release, and only closed after FOURTEEN years.

JP PS2 release: March 4, 2000
JP FFXI PS2 release: May 16, 2002

JP PS3 release: November 11, 2006
FFXIV PS3 release: August 27, 2013

Not exactly a fair comparison.

So happy PS3 is being dropped paving way for things like finally expanding inventory. I wonder if they'll increase clothing texture fidelity with higher min specs and recommending 64bit. Great news so far.

VariantX

Oh shit, dropping PS3 support and raising the specs. Interesting to see what kind of QoL improvements can be made for XIV by not being shackled to the PS3's constraints.

Ventus182

Neo Member
Is the game still alive and well?

I'm considering going back (from scratch) and I'm worried that the game it's not that much populated anymore.

Pejo

Red Mage MIGHT get me to come back for a few months, MAYBE. I also hope they lift the ridiculous requirement of having to have all the old missions done to access the new content. I re-subbed back when Heavensward came out, and didn't even last long enough to unlock Dark Knight or Astrologist or whatever. Nobody seems to want to help with any of the old content, and I don't have fun playing solo in MMOs.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Regular PS4 support will also be dropped for PS4 Pro and PC.
Are people still happy about systems getting the boot? XD
Come on, from the start they said they won't support the PS3 for a long time...this is absolutely no surprise and a really really good thing.

This is going to sound rude but, I think anyone who wanted to really dedicate a lot of time to FF14 probably would have got it or saved up the cash to play it on PC.

The fact that it was still supporting PS3 was a surprise to me. I don't play the game so I thought they dropped PS3 support awhile ago.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Wonder if Widargelt will play a major role in the 4.0 story like Estinien did in 3.0. He was pretty hardcore into freeing Ala Mhigo.

Red Mage MIGHT get me to come back for a few months, MAYBE. I also hope they lift the ridiculous requirement of having to have all the old missions done to access the new content. I re-subbed back when Heavensward came out, and didn't even last long enough to unlock Dark Knight or Astrologist or whatever. Nobody seems to want to help with any of the old content, and I don't have fun playing solo in MMOs.

They were talking a bit ago about doing this expansion differently from Heavensward such that you could access new content without going through the main storyline. Not sure if that's still their intent. At any rate, I picked XIV back up a few months ago and was able to get through the end of 2.0 and all through Heavensward no problem; the roulette motivate veteran players to run older content that's needed for story progression.

I was hoping this would be more water based than desert based but oh well, I'm super excited! Will they announce anything new at the Live Letter tomorrow? When are the two other fan fests?

This is going to sound rude but, I think anyone who wanted to really dedicate a lot of time to FF14 probably would have got it or saved up the cash to play it on PC.

The fact that it was still supporting PS3 was a surprise to me. I don't play the game so I thought they dropped PS3 support awhile ago.

That's a silly assumption. It being on console is a huge contributor to its success. I have put over a thousand hours on it on ps4 and i would have never played it had it not been available on it as I don't play PC games. I am not alone in having this game bridge the gap between a traditional PC game to a console gamers mentality.

Anyway, ps3 support in the current game was a carry over of the original 1.0 ambition back in 2011 when it made a little more sense to release a ps3 game. But obviously that never panned out back then because that release was such a cluster fuck. 2.0 only came out in 2013, so there really is no "long time ago" in this case.

Khrno

It's definitely a Monk. Still hoping for Dancer, though.

You certainly take that word lightly.

Ala Mhigo real world influence is the oriental or chinese culture, so I don't see anything that defines her as a Monk and not a Dancer when they have similar roots.

https://www.shenyunperformingarts.o...-arts-and-chinese-dance-ancient-siblings.html

Also, her animations before actually doing contact with the WoL is very different from the current female monk animations.

Yes, which as a player of FFXI since the NA beta, having to continue supporting the PS2 had likely held it back. Hell, it was generally supported in Japan rather than NA/EU markets.

I think it's a good thing to end legacy support so you can continue to grow and expand, not have to be held back to ensure any new ideas work on all forms.

I don't think they've made any indication that the PS4 version was causing them to make compromises in terms of features and content that they want to add, just the PS3.

And some years down the road, if the PS4 holds it back, then drop that too.

Ala Mhigo real world influence is the oriental or chinese culture, so I don't see anything that defines her as a Monk and not a Dancer when they have similar roots.

https://www.shenyunperformingarts.o...-arts-and-chinese-dance-ancient-siblings.html

Also, her animations before actually doing contact with the WoL is very different from the current female monk animations.

Didn't they confirm during the stream that it was MNK vs MNK?

Zen Mu

So you're comparing a game that has the most players on PS4/PC dropping support for the PS3(which apparently has a miniscule amount) to a game that was most popular on PS2 lasting a decade and a half.
The reason they're dropping PS3 support is because they don't see enough people playing on that console. It doesn't make sense for them. Was FFXI released on PC? Was it updater alongside the PS2 version? I'm genuinely curious.

She's clearly a martial artist that draws from tropes from kung fu movies and fights with punches and kicks. Why would they add DNC just to be a different MNK?

If we're to talk animations, MNK's cant block kicks either.

Top Bottom