• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I have this game on PC but I cancelled the subscription a while ago. Would I get a free month if I bought the game for PS4?

Yes, you would. For each version of the game you purchase and add to a Square-Enix account, you get 30 free days. You can only add each version once. This means it's possible to get a maximum of 90 days if you purchase and add a PC, a PS3, and a PS4 copy.

Also...how is communicating in the PS4 without a keyboard? Sounds difficult.

Not as bad as you'd think, but it's still pretty awful enough that you'd want to get yourself a keyboard.

Also I think we can all agree on the one universal truth that Lalafells are adorable, yes?

ffxiv_04182014_0747321rk76.jpg

leng jai

Yes, you would. For each version of the game you purchase and add to a Square-Enix account, you get 30 free days. You can only add each version once. This means it's possible to get a maximum of 90 days if you purchase and add a PC, a PS3, and a PS4 copy.

Not as bad as you'd think, but it's still pretty awful enough that you'd want to get yourself a keyboard.

Also I think we can all agree on the one universal truth that Lalafells are adorable, yes?

You don't get two months if you simply buy the PS3 version and upgrade do you?

Sophia

You don't get two months if you simply buy the PS3 version and upgrade do you?

If you buy any version of the game, you get a free month. You get no time for doing the upgrade, but if you buy the PS3 version and then immediately upgrade to the PS4 version, you don't lose the 30 days you got with the PS3 version.

(This means that, yes, if you can find two retail PS3 copies for cheap, you can add one, upgrade it to the PS4 version, then add the second one if and get 60 days.)

Sometimes in chat someone's message will be surrounded by a green and red icon. What does this mean? See the bottom left of my below share shot as an example. There are so many things in this game that are never explained; I don't think I will ever understand it all.

iluvJnAXlxZwT.jpg

dcye

are you sure youre doing it right

I know it sounds broken but I can assure you I am. I have 4 classes with Zenith and switch between them to mix it up a bit, I change areas after an hour or so in one area to mix it up, nothing. Its really demoralizing :(

Sophia

Sometimes in chat someone's message will be surrounded by a green and red icon. What does this mean? See the bottom left of my below share shot as an example. There are so many things in this game that are never explained; I don't think I will ever understand it all.

It means they used the auto-translate feature, which often doubles as an autocomplete feature. You can hit tab while typing a word to bring up a list of suggestions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

iluvJnAXlxZwT.jpg

It's just the autotranslation function. It's the exact same as it was in FFXI. The game does explain it in a quest in fact.

Lebron

Is there a good website guide or something for this since they do a poor job of explaining everything? My friend is fixing to bail since he has no idea what's going on and I'm not too knowledgeable on the game myself to help. I only played the orig XIV for a couple months and phase 1 of the PS4 beta.

So how exactly does XIV compare to WoW? (only MMORPG I really have played). More PVP or PVE oriented? Big differences in the ''feel'' of the game? Someone said it has taken a lot from WoW and I don't see it as a bad thing neccessarily. I'm thinking of maybe giving this a shot as soon as tomorrow but don't really know what to expect. Basically WoW with FF skin on it or something else entirely?

Is there a good website guide or something for this since they do a poor job of explaining everything? My friend is fixing to bail since he has no idea what's going on and I'm not too knowledgeable on the game myself to help. I only played the orig XIV for a couple months and phase 1 of the PS4 beta.

What is your friend having trouble with specifically?

In my experience this game goes to great lengths to explain itself compared to most other games in the genre.

Alucrid

Banned
Is this not free no? I thought it was for some reason.

No it's not free.

So how exactly does XIV compare to WoW? (only MMORPG I really have played). More PVP or PVE oriented? Big differences in the ''feel'' of the game? Someone said it has taken a lot from WoW and I don't see it as a bad thing neccessarily. I'm thinking of maybe giving this a shot as soon as tomorrow but don't really know what to expect. Basically WoW with FF skin on it or something else entirely?

Largely PvE oriented, however there is PvP and PvP updates coming in the future. I wouldn't really say it's just a WoW with Final Fantasy painted over it. It's more akin to taking the MMO expectations that WoW has set in place and combined it with the lore and feel of a Final Fantasy game. I played Vanilla WoW, then a bit during Cataclysm, and this is the only MMO to actually draw me in besides that.

danthefan

Just got into the GAF guild on Ultros, thanks guys!

I'm on PS4 with no keyboard atm so I probably won't be very active in the FC chat yet.

Just got into the GAF guild on Ultros, thanks guys!

I'm on PS4 with no keyboard atm so I probably won't be very active in the FC chat yet.

If you have the playstation app on your phone you can use the second screen function as a keyboard. Found it to be much faster than using the controller to type out my messages.

hamchan

Feels like a more focused WoW. Enemies always drop the things a quest wants you to get, the zones are smaller too, so a lot less downtime in traveling. I also feel it's a very linear game too. There's not much experimenting within each individual class and there's a very clear equipment path to follow.

creid

iluvJnAXlxZwT.jpg
Heh, you're actually standing just a few steps away from where that quest is that explains the feature. Pretty sure you were seeing someone completing the quest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BlY2U2qCUAAbcNL.jpg:orig

My egg quest group, that was pretty fun. It's nice when quests sort of force you to be social..lol

How long does it take to get the easter stuff done? I remember the easter quests in FFXI taking forever.

Jeels

How long does it take to get the easter stuff done? I remember the easter quests in FFXI taking forever.

If you can grab a group to do the quests with and teleport from location to location, I'd say all four quests take less than 30 minutes together.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

at about mid-game now..

no, not WoW with a FF skin at all IMHO. That's not to say there aren't modern MMO trappings here. There are plenty, but I mean they're there because the game would largely be criticized/docked if they weren't.

Biggest differences from WoW are the class/job system, the levequest system for crafting (a godsend), well just the crafting system in general I guess (much better/deeper imho), and just the atmosphere in general I guess. I mean it's silly to say, but really S-E put such a major emphasis it seems on creating a world that you really enjoy being in.. it's a traditional MODERN MMO high fantasy game where you really enjoy being in the world. And the music, omg the music.

If you hate MMOs, this game won't change your mind in the slightest. But if you like them and are just looking for something new, I really can't see anyone being disappointed. Enough here to not feel like "me too" but nothing too radically different that it makes the game worse.

Lebron

What is your friend having trouble with specifically?

In my experience this game goes to great lengths to explain itself compared to most other games in the genre.

Most of the stuff seemed to be pretty general, like when to start crafting, item info, dungeon guides(since some can be specific with the completion requirements), class/job stuff since he still doesn't know what to stick with yet, etc. I told him just to keep playing and ask for help from players, but he mostly just wants to play with me and have me tell him everything which I don't know since I can't play as much as him. I've been reading through the thread and learning, but was just wondering if there was a resource where I could just read through, like wowhead or a specific forum.

It's whatever if there isn't yet, I can just keep reading through this thread and ask questions if needed.

supergiz

Strange remote play with my ps4 over the internet was working for a few days and then stopped working. Tried resetting my vita and ps4 to no avail. I tried using multiple Wi-Fi spots. Any idea what could be wrong?

So, I took the plunge. I've submitted an application to Gather Against Fate on Ultros, and I'm slowly getting used to some of the game mechanics.
I started out as a human highlander Marauder, though I'm only level 5 atm. Did I screw up?

Also, can't wait to play with some of you guys when I catch up with your levels! If there's any low level folk near Limsa, hit me up! Also, I'd love to be added to some friends lists:
PSN ID: YouGotReaped
SE ID: NoMoreTrolls
Character name (superfluous, but hey): Dirk Steelhammer (so manly! :p)

Cheers!

SRTtoZ

So, I took the plunge. I've submitted an application to Gather Against Fate on Ultros, and I'm slowly getting used to some of the game mechanics.
I started out as a human highlander Marauder, though I'm only level 5 atm. Did I screw up?

Also, can't wait to play with some of you guys when I catch up with your levels! If there's any low level folk near Limsa, hit me up! Also, I'd love to be added to some friends lists:

Cheers!

Submit the app and then message one of the leaders in game (they are listed on the 1st page of the OT). No mistake has been made, make what you like to look at visually (race/gender etc) and from there you can make whatever class you want since each character can be ALL of them if you choose.

dramatis

Submit the app and then message one of the leaders in game (they are listed on the 1st page of the OT). No mistake has been made, make what you like to look at visually (race/gender etc) and from there you can make whatever class you want since each character can be ALL of them if you choose.
Messaging the leaders are no longer required, you can right-click on/press square while targeting a player with a <<GAF>> next to his/her name and apply like so
they should have a tag on their name that says <GAF>

igKr473wEIJue.png
If you are not a member yet, there will be an option at this window to submit an application.

SRTtoZ

Messaging the leaders are no longer required, you can right-click on/press square while targeting a player with a <<GAF>> next to his/her name and apply like so

If you are not a member yet, there will be an option at this window to submit an application.

What I meant was message a leader so that they can check your app and let you in right away.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Did the tiny text size issue ever get patched?

Yea, the retail release defaults to 140% font size for everything, which compared to the PS4 beta is a monumental difference. If you ever played the PS3 version, the PS4 version is basically now on par in terms of readability despite the increased resolution to 1080p. You can customize font size and scale for most UI windows and settings as well.

Zhao_Yun

After reading so many good things about FFXIV I am on the fence of plunging in as well although I never played any MMOs before. So my question would be whether this game is a good entry point for MMOs?

Yea, the retail release defaults to 140% font size for everything, which compared to the PS4 beta is a monumental difference. If you ever played the PS3 version, the PS4 version is basically now on par in terms of readability despite the increased resolution to 1080p. You can customize font size and scale for most UI windows and settings as well.
Thanks. That was pretty much my main concern about the game. For a while I was playing the ps3 version for bigger text even though I had the visually superior PC version. But GPU has been kinda funky when playing FF XIV so I gotta go with ps4 to resume my experience in Eorzea.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
My internet at home was out all last night, and was still out when I woke up.

Sure hope it's back on when I get home...

zewone

After reading so many good things about FFXIV I am on the fence of plunging in as well although I never played any MMOs before. So my question would be whether this game is a good entry point for MMOs?

I've only played one other MMO before this (FFXI on PS2 and 360) and this is much better.

Super easy to solo (I'm level 30, could change later) and party finding mechanic when needed is pretty sweet.

Frazley

Cheers!

No mistake made. I went with a Lalafell Dunesfolk. I thought after making it that I would regret it, but I actually enjoy it a lot! :) I am tall so playing a short character makes me feel like I'm experiencing the other side.

I like FFXIV's focus on all classes being on all characters.

desu

I am seeing more and more parties with the first Mirror from Levi Ex being locked (to the party creator ovbviously). Are people really joining these parties? Seems pretty stupid to me.

SRTtoZ

Duty finder needs to be more like WoW. Its pretty insane that I'm sitting in DF for over an hour for crystal tower and unless EVERYONE accepts it keeps getting denied. It should be like in WoW where as long as a majority of the people are accepted you still get in, then it finds the remaining people after that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I am seeing more and more parties with the first Mirror from Levi Ex being locked (to the party creator ovbviously). Are people really joining these parties? Seems pretty stupid to me.

People join them, and people will roll on the mirror regardless.

There isn't anything those guys can do to prevent you from rolling need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom