• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist director of the next Star Wars film saying that her goal is to “make men uncomfortable.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

simon cowell facepalm GIF

200.gif

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm open for different kinds of Star Wars movies. I just hope they make a good movie.

You're open to intentionally making the audience that made Star Wars a success and worth buying for 4 billion in the first place uncomfortable?

All are open to their own ideas.

T4keD0wN

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

How can anyone go on stage, propagate hate while claiming that they are against it and get cheered?
Maybe she should change her attitude, realize that there is something wrong with the way she thinks and how she is addressing the issue? The irony is strong with this one.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They learn nothing, do they?
I'm at a loss now a multi billion dolla company can constantly make the same mistakes over and over, do they not understand their core audience and the shit Marvel gets for this type of shit?? This film will have nothing but negative abuse all the way up until the first trailer drops and if it sucks...well...

Kurotri

I am unsure how this relates to the story of Star Wars - and what the "difficult conversations" are that I am supposed to have. Am I supposed to feel bad that there are strong female leads in the movies? I do not. What else can she bring to the table?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
When will morons understand that the problem is the evil you do, not who you do it to ?

edit : the dude interviewing should just have answered "and you do it wonderfully well"

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Remember this thread? haha
Typical corporate bait and switch. "Do as I say, not as I do".

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
These women seem to think that all men must be utter Victorian aged, Tate loving arse slappers... I dare say the vast majority of men are decent human beings who don't make women uncomfortable, know what a boundary is and simply treat them as equals, so why do they do this double down on were all cunts?? Maybe stop taking the fucking industry you're in, which is notoriously old boys club and the twitter incel mob as being representative of the wider male demographic please and just make a good fucking movie.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

That clip wasn't about Star Wars, it was from a public interview session held during the Women in the World Summit in New York City on April 2, 2015.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy then was only known as a documentary maker, she'd received an Oscar for "Saving Face", a documentary about acid attacks on women in Pakistan. From that Pakistani perspective it absolutely makes sense that she stands up for women's rights in that country, that she wants to make (Pakistani) men uncomfortable, that those Pakistani men need to change their attitudes about women, etc. Pakistan is a god awful place for women, it is "the third most dangerous country in the world for women due to the abysmally high prevalence of violence, rape, and honor killings."

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I kind want them to go as extreme as possible with it now. At least the hate is kind of entertaining.

Star Wars is dead to me so I don't really care about repairing it. IP doesn't have to live on and on for 60 years. It's some fantasy movies that I enjoyed. Moved on.

Hopefully they do some batshit stuff like introduce light side midichlorians present in estrogen and dark side midichlorians present in testosterone. Just swing for the fences.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In the clip she’s speaking generally. And her career up to this point has been aligned with women’s rights issues in Pakistan, tackling issues like honor killings, where men should in fact be made to feel uncomfortable and confront their moral failures.

But it’s not something Western men generally need lecturing about, since we’re on the same page already.

Interfectum

In the clip she’s speaking generally. And her career up to this point has been aligned with women’s rights issues in Pakistan, tackling issues like honor killings, where men should in fact be made to feel uncomfortable and confront their moral failures.

But it’s not something Western men generally need lecturing about, since we’re on the same page already.
Probably not the best person to hire for a new Star Wars movie in the current climate.

CGNoire

That clip wasn't about Star Wars, it was from a public interview session held during the Women in the World Summit in New York City on April 2, 2015.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy then was only known as a documentary maker, she'd received an Oscar for "Saving Face", a documentary about acid attacks on women in Pakistan. From that Pakistani perspective it absolutely makes sense that she stands up for women's rights in that country, that she wants to make (Pakistani) men uncomfortable, that those Pakistani men need to change their attitudes about women, etc. Pakistan is a god awful place for women, it is "the third most dangerous country in the world for women due to the abysmally high prevalence of violence, rape, and honor killings."

Ok well thats the thread.

Interfectum

I'm just really confused as to why Disney just won't give Star Wars fans new content that appeals to Star Wars fans. How many political activists did Disney hire to get this way? Why is there an obsession with spreading 'the message' instead of creating content to make money off their fanbase?

Billbofet

Silly me, I already thought Star Wars was full of female leaders/characters.
What a total shitshow Star Wars has become.

Again, this has to be a tax/money laundering deal, right?!?!?!
How can they continue to be this irresponsible with their IP?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My understanding of this is that Disney's Star Wars serves as an allegorical platform for social commentary. Some would say this was true under Lucas as well. Ultimately, if the films are profitable they can be anything the creators want, but I'm not sure if making men uncomfortable will get them to show up in theaters, and don't know if enough women care about the franchise to carry it financially.

Edit: just realized this interview isn't explicitly about the movie, is it? That changes things.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm just really confused as to why Disney just won't give Star Wars fans new content that appeals to Star Wars fans. How many political activists did Disney hire to get this way? Why is there an obsession with spreading 'the message' instead of creating content to make money off their fanbase?

At least Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy has an affinity with the superhero genre. Her claim to fame is not only a documentary about acid attacks on women in Pakistan, she also made three animated superhero movies for kids between 2015-2018 that were very successful in Pakistan. That's why she was asked to direct 2 Ms. Marvel episodes since Kamala Khan is a Pakistani-American superhero.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Ok I see that quote was before being hired for Star wars still I don't think she's a good choice. Doesn't matter I won't watch. TFA was the last Star Wars I watched didn't even bother with sequels much less the shows.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Ehh, give her 6 months in what ought to be a western utopia from her POV and she will be bitching about "male privilege" when men hold open the door for her and "microaggressions" when men DON'T hold open the door for her. If she has an activist lens then she will ALWAYS have an activist lens.

Now if she shows a crack Imperial unit stomping some repressive arid planet full of backwards "ancient religion" fanatics a la Legionnaire in the "Galaxy's Edge" vein, maybe I'll pay attention. But NOTHING in this womans filmography suggests she knows jack shit about special effects, filming action, filming adventure, how to balance action set pieces with dramatic moments, creativity in novel ways to show aliens, or anything really that might inspire confidence that her Star Wars film would be any better than The Eternals, Wrinkle in Time, or any other attempt to bring in auteur filmmakers into the effects heavy action space. Patty Jenkins looks to be a fluke with Wonder Woman as Snyder probably did a lot of behind the scenes lifting with that one. People seem to forget that Kathryn Bigelow was married to James frickin Cameron when she was cutting her teeth on her early work, she certainly didn't come into the field as an activist documentary maker.

Get Bigelow to direct a Star Wars film and say "it's something a little different" and I'll give a shit because she has a stellar track record. But otherwise its just being honest when I say women directors have a VERY spotty record with making action adventure films that are any good and it's no selling point to say a Star Wars film is being directed by a woman.

Disregarding the clip for now, wasn't she making a sequel with Rey? That would make me uncomfortable, regardless of what she actually does with the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom