• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Transformers Wiki quotes?

L Thammy

Like everyone else, I watched Transformers as a kid and had a bunch of the toys, yet for some reason it has a relatively small footprint in my nostalgia. But the Transformers Wiki is something else. It's awesome.

Most fan wikis are kind of ridiculous because it's all obsessive geeks debating male circumcision getting pedantic over things that don't really matter to the outside world. They also tend to be full of articles which are either very minor or probably not in their jurisdiction, like where Mario Wiki tells you what the Earth is or Dragonball Wiki explains rock-paper-scissors.

Now, Transformer Wiki... well, it's the exact same thing, but at least they know that. So it's got the meticulously detailed Transformers information that you might be looking for, but it's playful rather than pretentious, and is prone to poking light-hearted fun at whatever it's describing.

Here's a quote from the article on Violen Jiger, whose name was written "Baiorenjaigā" in Japanese:

The English romanization of his name was a debated topic for quite some time, with interpretations including "Violenjiger", "Violent Jiger", "Violent Chigger", "Violen Jig-er", "Violin Juggler", "Bio Ranger Iga", and the ever-popular "Valium Chugger". The publication of The Ark II finally provided us with an official spelling.

This is one that added a fantastic term to our vocabulary, dull surprise:

"Dull surprise" has become a popular term in the Transformers fandom to sum up the (lack of) range of a character's facial expressions when drawn by Pat Lee and people who were made to draw in his style, like Rob Ruffolo or (formerly) Alex Milne.

The expression in question is a vapid, empty look where you can just hear the character in question going "Guuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while waiting for the next neuron to fire in his or her puny brain.

Sage advice from Dickbot the blender guy's article:

Don't put your dick in a blender.

The wiki is also helpful if you want to learn more about Mark Twain:

In the real world, Mark Twain did not know Jules Verne personally. However, he also never had the distinction of fighting a giant mechanical cat from space,[citation needed] so make what you will of the story.

In fact, it can even tell you about you yourself.

You are (probably) a human from Earth. You sometimes get caught up in the dealings of extraterrestrial mechanical lifeforms known as the Transformers. You often get recruited by the heroic Autobot faction to help in their struggle against the evil Decepticons.

It's a lot of reading, but I'm also fond of how they tackled the infamous Kiss Players:

When the basic concept of Kiss Players—"toys with figures of cute girls"—first surfaced, the reaction from the Western fan community was generally unremarkable, amounting to little more than a bit of good-natured eye-rolling and mutterings of "Those wacky Japanese...but if that's what it takes to sell the toys...", understanding that there is a certain subset of collector who enjoys such things. Besides, such a premise had been explored before in the short-lived Binaltech Asterisk line (in which the first toy in the Kiss Players series was originally meant to be released).

This reaction took a sharp turn with the unveiling of the Dengeki Daioh manga. Although not featuring any explicit nudity or sexual content, the comic consists of a virtually unhalting stream of images clearly designed to evoke various violent sexual situations, from the endless streams of viscous, white liquid that frequently splatter over the scantily-clad-to-nude cast members, to cowering, flush-faced, teary-eyed girls pressed against walls with their hips raised into the air, to the most (in)famous of all, the distinctive image of the Legion's blatant penis-tongue, leaking goo from a goddamn urethra. Putting the cherry on this sundae of depravity, the manga employs an art style that uses proportions specifically and deliberately designed to make the vast majority of its female characters appear as though they are underage (despite the fiction identifying them as being at least old enough to drive). Subsequent translations of the radio dramas also revealed that the show's dialogue was loaded with sexual double-entendres, ranging from humor-based (Optimus Prime deriving pleasure from Marissa rubbing the rim of his gas tank) to grotesque examples blatantly evocative of rape (a shrunken Autorooper forces its way into Atari's mouth and makes her swallow it, followed by her begging it not to "move too roughly inside" her).

Reactions ran the gamut from outright disgust to comedic derision, with most fans agreeing that the transformation of a children's toyline into borderline pedophilia was a "bad thing". There were a number of people who claimed, amazingly, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with such a thing, and that everyone else simply wasn't understanding it was a "cultural thing," — "it" being... the enjoyment of rape imagery, apparently. This, of course, is in defiance of the fact that many Japanese fans were themselves openly decrying Kiss Players, fearing that American fans would think that this was somehow accepted as "normal" in Japan. The line's writer/designer, Yuki Ohshima, even admitted that he crafted the series in this manner because he wanted to "make people's jaws drop". Mission accomplished, it would seem.

So, yeah. Do you guys have anything you like?

Deepwater

When I was first watching G1 (I wasn't alive when it was airing) I would frequently check Teletraan I and it is a great example of a franchise wiki.

Kid Heart

Which page had the Steven universe//Giant woman quotes

Victorion. She is the first female combiner that they made.

I really enjoy Unicron Trilogy Jetfire's page what with all the jokes making fun of his Australian accent that he acquired out of nowhere in Cybertron.

This reminds me that Tv Tropes WMG is a fun trip.
My personal favourite is the theory the Magic School Bus is a Ganmen from Gurren Lagann.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/TheMagicSchoolBus#dropdown

The bus is a Ganmen.
It makes sense. It's clearly powered by Spiral Energy, as the bus can do whatever is coolest. It also has a face like a Ganmen's, though it doesn't mouth out what Frizzle says. This all means that Ms. Frizzle is a retired Spiral Warrior; Liz is her Boota. Just imagine it...◊
The only problem with this is that the wheel was never invented in the Gurren Lagann-verse.
WAHOO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!!?!!?

L Thammy

There's something buried on it where under list of errors of some particularly shit comic there's 'this was made'.

Loks like it's Transformers: The Beast Within.

A profound and moving narrative that forces the audience to re-evaluate all conceptions of their identity. Both thrilling and immersive, "The Beast Within" redefines the era as it forces a new standard of storytelling. Starting on an epic battle comparable to The Lord of the Rings or Akira, but the conflict pales in comparison to the internal emotional struggle of Grimlock as he is forced to restrain his own emotions for the sake of his tactical ideology. Pushed to both physical and psychological limits, he and his compatriots do the unthinkable and fuse, physically and conceptually, into a unified truth that mirrors us all. But with the revelation of this most sacred ability comes a new threat to the Autobots... a threat that is somehow familiar.
Simon Furman is thanked for "help and support in the production of this comic." One can only wonder what "help" this was, but it's best not to contemplate what this comic might have been like without it.
Errors

This comic was produced.
This comic was published
This comic was FREAKING WRITTEN
There is a continuity error with the immense amounts of death, and characters being alive with characters that shouldn't be alive.

I remember there was a page that joked about a fan who was torn limb from limb by other rabid fans when he booed the announcement that Peter Cullen was reprising his roll in the first Michael Bay film, or something like that, but I can't find it now.

Top Bottom