• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Sony controller to date?

What's your favorite PlayStation controller to date?

• Total voters
Hey GAF, what is your favorite Sony controller? Mine as of this writing is the DualShock 4 with the back grip attachment. The base DualShock 4 is an incredible all around controller with great D pad, and great buttons and triggers and the like. It's gyro is awesome as well! Then add the back grip attachment which can map most of the buttons on the DualShock 4 to the 2 buttons, and you got a controller that almost rivals the Steam controller in versatility. It's actually my main controller for most types of games given the D pad it has, so I don't have to swap back and forth between the Steam controller and Series X controller for playing stuff like 2D platformers and the like. So that's why I love the DualShock 4 with back grip attachment as my favorite Sony controller to date. What about you GAF? What is your top Sony controller and why?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DualSense. In purp.
Purple Rain Prince GIF

Last edited:

Del_X

DualSense - it was always an uncomfortable cheap mess before. I have a modded one from Aim, I think. I actually prefer it over the Xbox controller which is the first time that’s happened.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've hated all Sony controllers except the very VERY orginal Analogue PS1 controller (the 2nd PSone controller) that was larger/had large handles. The controllers have always been made for tiny wuss man hands after that first one.

But the Dual Sense finally fixed that. It feels great, nice and large and well shaped. I havnt had a chance to try a Dual Edge yet, will likely grab one for FF7 Rebirth.

Last edited:
Haven’t used the Edge but I reckon the Dualsense is the best controller from anyone I’ve ever used. Be good if it gets more support for its functionality

Crayon

The dualsense is a good controller but I especially love all the crap they pack into it. As long as we're stuck withe the same old buttons and sticks, it's nice to have new features. The gyro and trackpad are great on pc, too.

Blood Borne

Sony controllers are like iPhones, in the sense that the latest is the greatest, because they both take an iterative approach. They maintain their core design and simply just improve on it with new tech. Therefore, DualSense is objectively the best Sony controller.

Aces High

My left hand gets numb from playing with the DualSense.

I usually get this problem with small handheld consoles. The DualSense is the only "real" controller where my hand gets numb, too.

While DualSense is the better controller from a technical perspective, I voted DS4 for its superior ergonomics.

Sony controllers are like iPhones, in the sense that the latest is the greatest, because they both take an iterative approach. They maintain their core design and simply just improve on it with new tech. Therefore, DualSense is objectively the best Sony controller.

The DS4 was the first one that was actually decent, since it was made for regular sized hands.

DualShock 4 and it’s not even close. They perfected the size and shape, as well as the dpad and buttons. The dual sense was a huge step backward.

DualSense, period. The haptics alone push the gaming experience to a whole new level (provided devs make proper use of the features, PlayStation 1st party always does) and the overall build quality is far ahead of anything they've done before. Having said that, the DS4 is more comfortable over hours long (5+ hours) gaming sessions and stick drift is still an issue.

Alan Wake

I haven't tried Edge but the DualSense is a great controller. Sony's best. My only complaint is that it's a tiny bit too big for me. Sony finally catched up.

hinch7

DS4. Pretty much perfect in terms of ergonomics, function and layout. With the right amount of distance between the D-pad, analogue and face buttons. I can play for hours and not get fatigue.

Too bad its successor; (Dualsense) is way too large and cumbersome to hold for longer play. And I don't like new smaller hard translucent candy buttons for face and D-pad. Shame they went back on ergomomics. Otherwise this would be right up there.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Dualsense Edge so I don't have an opinion on it.

However thr Dualsense was a pretty big upgrade over the Dualshock 4. The haptics and the triggers are fantastic. Although I wish they used the triggers better in some games that I've played.

acm2000

dualsense and its not even close, most comfortable sony controller to hold to date even if the sticks arent in the right place.

Tams

I love the design and features of the DualSense. Especially the Edge.

I wish the batteries were AAs though (with a battery pack option for those who don't). And for the Edge that it had four back buttons.

Just holding the DualSense feels great.

Unfortunately, in use the DualSense controllers make my hands hurt. Only the Switch Pro feels comfortable in use to me.

DeepSpace5D

I really like all the features of the dualsense, and it feels great to hold in the hand. I’d say it’s also the best looking Sony controller so far.

But to be honest I have a real fondness for the dualshock 3. It’s super lightweight, battery lasts for a long time in comparison to a Dualsense, I prefer the domed analog sticks to concave ones, and I liked when the face buttons were blue, pink, green, and red instead of gray.

Last edited:
Don't have a dual sense edge so I'll go with dual sense. That said, I'll have to mention that the d-pad on the DS4 is considerably better than the one used on the dualsense (Sony wtf were you thinking here!?).

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It would have been the duelsense right up until both of mine got stickdrift and I bought am edge.

It's very very fucking expensive (which is why most people wont have used one), but it is also the best controller Sony has produced, the back padels are super helpful and deal with games that feel like they just ran out of buttons, rebinding assualt boost and lockon in armored core 6 to a paddle's and away from the sticks is night and day.

The battery life sucks, but it comes with a long ass cable and charges fast enough, and I have a spare set of thumbsticks ready to go when these inevitably pack in.

Last edited:
El6m59GXYAAeBIJ.jpg

Of course, it cannot be denied that Sony spent a lot of money improving its controller and making it next gen with the Dualsense, adaptive triggers, haptic vibration, touch panel, microphone, speaker, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc... a huge leap compared to dualshock4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom